Herm Edwards to destroy ASU Football New Head Coach

southparkcpa

Former NFL coach and current ESPN analyst Herm Edwards is in line to become Arizona State's next football coach, pending approval of the university president, according to multiple reports.

The Associated Press, citing a person with direct knowledge of the plan, reported Wednesday night that Edwards' deal and an official announcement from Arizona State are still being finalized.

Edwards, 63, emerged as a serious candidate for the job on Tuesday. He has yet to be interviewed by the university. Arizona State president Michael Crow, who needs to sign off on the deal, is expected to return from a trip to China by week's end.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21615279/herm-edwards-line-replace-todd-graham-arizona-state-sun-devils-next-coach

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

While HC means Head Chef when it comes to the Flim Flam BBQ man college is where he belongs..;)

The overtime rules will confuse him. Positioning for a field goal with kneel downs is not the best strategy and will cause many times out to be caused and delays of game. 

Seriously, I will watch with interest, as I believe he would have a chance to recruit well.

1 hour ago, KRL said:

Edwards personality is perfect for college, I wouldn't be shocked if he's successful

After watching him describe the position of HC as a CEO with a lot of responsibilities, delegation etc..    I disagree.

He takes NO responsibility for the team. Jeez...   a time clock person?  Maybe he can recruit but he took a stacked team in the NY Jets and never won more than 10 games, never improved our QB position, never made our offense a top third offense.  

He went to KC and was a total failure.  I predict the same in college.

8 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

After watching him describe the position of HC as a CEO with a lot of responsibilities, delegation etc..    I disagree.

He takes NO responsibility for the team. Jeez...   a time clock person?  Maybe he can recruit but he took a stacked team in the NY Jets and never won more than 10 games, never improved our QB position, never made our offense a top third offense.  

He is not very indifferent than James Franklin. IF he can get solid coaches for in game action, he can be successful.

The current frustration with this Jets team (penalties, untimely turnovers) were a positive characteristic of Edwards team. They were very disciplined, and did not make many stupid mistakes. 

1 hour ago, KRL said:

Edwards personality is perfect for college, I wouldn't be shocked if he's successful

100% agree, the guy will be able to recruit like crazy with his personality and NFL experience, will care about the kids, and will be an excellent motivator.

Xs and Os was never his thing, but if hes smart, he will hire good coordinators and be a better version of James Franklin.

This is college not the pros, if you have more talent than the other team you win.

There are probably only 2-3 games a year where scheme matters, that's when

Edwards would struggle.  He has the perfect personality to recruit a player's

parents and keep a team of 18-22 year olds motivated

Wonder if this is also a sign that the big ass $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$     Commentary contracts the networks have been handing out are drying up because people want to hear more from a guy named Money Mike who gives them fantasy advice that the network can pay 1/10th in salary for equal ratings regardless of the quality of content.

Regardless of how it turns out it will be fun to watch. I agree he will be an excellent recruiter and maybe, just maybe he has learned something since the Jets. Plus our very own Coach Bowles has demonstrated the effectiveness of upgrading your assistant coaches, especially if you are lacking in the x’s and o’s Category.  So I fell there is potential for him to be effective. 

Personally I will root for Herm and ASU if he gets the job,  if for no other reason to hope for somebody to eventually make a “ Gruden? It’s Herm Edwards you should be outraged about, you stupid fools.” Thread. 

48 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Regardless of how it turns out it will be fun to watch. I agree he will be an excellent recruiter and maybe, just maybe he has learned something since the Jets. Plus our very own Coach Bowles has demonstrated the effectiveness of upgrading your assistant coaches, especially if you are lacking in the x’s and o’s Category.  So I fell there is potential for him to be effective. 

Personally I will root for Herm and ASU if he gets the job,  if for no other reason to hope for somebody to eventually make a “ Gruden? It’s Herm Edwards you should be outraged about, you stupid fools.” Thread. 

ASU is already fun to watch.

asu+girls.jpg

Look, they even let token brunettes in now!

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

He is not very indifferent than James Franklin. IF he can get solid coaches for in game action, he can be successful.

The current frustration with this Jets team (penalties, untimely turnovers) were a positive characteristic of Edwards team. They were very disciplined, and did not make many stupid mistakes. 

I agree he might have some success, but every time I hear people talk about that team being disciplined I think about this:

Reed pops Vilma in the face

#circus

3 hours ago, KRL said:

I was thinking the same thing.

He's great with younger players, super high energy, speaks well, would probably be an excellent recruiter.  He's not taking over Alabama for Pete's sake.

47 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I agree he might have some success, but every time I hear people talk about that team being disciplined I think about this:

Reed pops Vilma in the face

#circus

What one player does to another, I don't care. 

But, Edwards' teams were consistently among league leaders in fewest turnovers and penalties. These may be the undoing of Bowles.

7 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

What one player does to another, I don't care. 

But, Edwards' teams were consistently among league leaders in fewest turnovers and penalties. These may be the undoing of Bowles.

The offsides/delay of game type penalties are generally disciplinary.  DPI on the other hand should have been almost non-existent for the cover-who.  They generally played facing the ball and shouldn't have been chasing guys around from behind much.  I think that was one of the main purposes of that D.

8 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

The offsides/delay of game type penalties are generally disciplinary.  DPI on the other hand should have been almost non-existent for the cover-who.  They generally played facing the ball and shouldn't have been chasing guys around from behind much.  I think that was one of the main purposes of that D.

All I am is saying is that Herm's teams were consistently in top 10 of fewest penalties and fewest turnovers. Cornerbacks get beat in all schemes and grab.

Schemes are another thing.

4 hours ago, KRL said:

Completely agree.  Don't get how OP thinks how he'd destroy ASU football.  He'll be a hell of a recruiter and doesn't have to do much on Saturdays.  He's perfect for NCAA

6 minutes ago, SMC said:

Completely agree.  Don't get how OP thinks how he'd destroy ASU football.  He'll be a hell of a recruiter and doesn't have to do much on Saturdays.  He's perfect for NCAA

Other than the fact that he's a horrible coach.

3 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Please.  College football is all about recruiting.  Herm is as dumb as a rock and the game has probably passed him by, but there's still a chance that he could be successful, considering the dude has the potential to be a great recruiter.  

Archived