Herm Edwards to destroy ASU Football New Head Coach

southparkcpa

Just now, SMC said:

You don't have to be a good coach to win in NCAA.  It's purely talent-driven and he'll be able to recruit talent.

Exactly.  As soon as the dude walks into a living room, the parents will be pushing their kids to play for the guy.  You can say whatever you want about him when it comes to Xs and Os, but the guy is absolutely the kind of guy you want your kid to be around.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

After watching him describe the position of HC as a CEO with a lot of responsibilities, delegation etc..    I disagree.

He takes NO responsibility for the team. Jeez...   a time clock person?  Maybe he can recruit but he took a stacked team in the NY Jets and never won more than 10 games, never improved our QB position, never made our offense a top third offense.  

He went to KC and was a total failure.  I predict the same in college.

Says he is keeping the current coordinators, which is something I have NEVER heard of. Imagine he can recruit, but gameday strategy and decision making are not his strong suit. 

3 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Says he is keeping the current coordinators, which is something I have NEVER heard of. Imagine he can recruit, but gameday strategy and decision making are not his strong suit. 

Lazy coach who knows so little about the college game and the environs that he has no clue who would be a good hire so he keeps the status quo.

May not be fair of me to say that but that is the 1st thing that came to my mind.

35 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Lazy coach who knows so little about the college game and the environs that he has no clue who would be a good hire so he keeps the status quo.

May not be fair of me to say that but that is the 1st thing that came to my mind.

Probably an unfair characteristic. I would have a hard time characterizing any head coach, at any level (including youth athletics) as being "lazy". Particularly when compared to the "average" man.

30 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Probably an unfair characteristic. I would have a hard time characterizing any head coach, at any level (including youth athletics) as being "lazy". Particularly when compared to the "average" man.

It all seems Rexish to me, come into new job keep all of the assistants who were part off the previous guy getting fired or moving on.  No one disputes coaches work hard and long hours but just how much does Herm know about these guys and other candidates?

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

It all seems Rexish to me, come into new job keep all of the assistants who were part off the previous guy getting fired or moving on.  No one disputes coaches work hard and long hours but just how much does Herm know about these guys and other candidates?

It is not necessarily a BAD thing to come into a college program and keep assistants. You are in the middle of recruiting season (and I do not know where ASU's class resides), but a lot of those coaches recruited the incoming class (and classes before).  The recruits will be comforted knowing that there is a sense of stability to the program they have verbally committed to. 

There is a lot of sense to holding a class together until you have a chance to evaluate.

4 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

All I am is saying is that Herm's teams were consistently in top 10 of fewest penalties and fewest turnovers. Cornerbacks get beat in all schemes and grab.

Schemes are another thing.

There tends to be less turnovers when your QB is checking down to his fullback on 3rd and long.

Those two really were meant for each other.

7 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

The overtime rules will confuse him. Positioning for a field goal with kneel downs is not the best strategy and will cause many times out to be caused and delays of game. 

Seriously, I will watch with interest, as I believe he would have a chance to recruit well.

Maybe Dick Curl is accompanying him.

In all seriousness, I always thought he'd do fine as a college HC & it was tossed around here years ago. Recruiting 17-18 year-olds seems a natural fit for Herm. Your own NLs showed, before-during-after sanctions, that while a bad coach can always screw up individual/crucial calls, in college especially, if the team's personnel is that strong there are enough pushovers on the schedule to steamroll despite Herm-like ineptitude.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Maybe Dick Curl is accompanying him.

In all seriousness, I always thought he'd do fine as a college HC & it was tossed around here years ago. Recruiting 17-18 year-olds seems a natural fit for Herm. Your own NLs showed, before-during-after sanctions, that while a bad coach can always screw up individual/crucial calls, in college especially, if the team's personnel is that strong there are enough pushovers on the schedule to steamroll despite Herm-like ineptitude.

or jimmy raye

9 hours ago, SMC said:

Completely agree.  Don't get how OP thinks how he'd destroy ASU football.  He'll be a hell of a recruiter and doesn't have to do much on Saturdays.  He's perfect for NCAA

He is a bag of HOT air.  A REAL recruit will have advisors and steer clear. Once he goes 6 and 5.  Or 5 and 7 the recruits will go away.  HERM is very much like REX and give him 2 years and kids will stay away.   That is my opinion... Herm has shown nothing that tells me he can win a big game or 3 in a row.  BUT.... we will see. 

25 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

He is a bag of HOT air.  A REAL recruit will have advisors and steer clear. Once he goes 6 and 5.  Or 5 and 7 the recruits will go away.  HERM is very much like REX and give him 2 years and kids will stay away.   That is my opinion... Herm has shown nothing that tells me he can win a big game or 3 in a row.  BUT.... we will see. 

The majority of football recruits do not have advisors. Advisors become a need when they are draft eligible, and ready to become a professional. That is 3 years away, for even the best of recruits, and those are not going to ASU.

13 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

The majority of football recruits do not have advisors. Advisors become a need when they are draft eligible, and ready to become a professional. That is 3 years away, for even the best of recruits, and those are not going to ASU.

Recently....have you seen any HS kid ready for D1?  They are very rare and I can tell you, they have advisors.  A typical HS football program puts 1 kid in D1 each year. A typical HS puts less than 1 scholarship player in D1 and less than 1 in a D1 school that has kids reach the NFL.  These kids get help. Coaches, other "friends" that are former D1 players. In Charlotte, where I live, my kids HS has 2 former NFL players on the sideline coaching. They advise these kids. So..not "advisors" financially but the kid gets help.

Heck  our own Josh McCown was an offensive assistant at Marvin Ridge HS here in Charlotte. Leon Washington is a coach at Weddington High, Frank Garcia is at my kids school and the other player  played for the eagles.  Thats right here in a 20 mile circle.  Read about Kerry Collins in HS. Hes one of 100's.

Herman Edwards’ coaching style is suited for college and recruitng. Put him in a 17 year old’s livinf room with his family and this guy is going to make it tough for the family to not consider to play for him.

The guy is class act and would be a great role model for college “student”-athletes.

3 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Yeah, people will advise a kid to stay away from a former NFL head coach who has had success in the NFL, still has connections in the NFL, and is still well respected in the NFL.  

The NFL makes it a point to have the guy speak at the NFL rookie symposium.  College coaches, including Nick Saban, bring the guy in to talk to their teams.  It's not hot air.  The dude connects with people and commands respect.

5 hours ago, detectivekimble said:

Yeah, people will advise a kid to stay away from a former NFL head coach who has had success in the NFL, still has connections in the NFL, and is still well respected in the NFL.  

The NFL makes it a point to have the guy speak at the NFL rookie symposium.  College coaches, including Nick Saban, bring the guy in to talk to their teams.  It's not hot air.  The dude connects with people and commands respect.

Well... we will see.  I know he talks a good game but his record speaks volumes about who he really is. After 2 years when he is well below 500, he could be Ghandi and the TOP kids with a choice wont come if given a choice.   

3 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Well... we will see.  I know he talks a good game but his record speaks volumes about who he really is. After 2 years when he is well below 500, he could be Ghandi and the TOP kids with a choice wont come if given a choice.   

I tend to agree with you. I dont think he will be a very good college HC but then who really knows. I think about Saban at Miami and how he did after that gig and also Pete Carroll who was a terrible NFL coach 1st couple of tries and then was a huge success at USC.

10 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Recently....have you seen any HS kid ready for D1?  They are very rare and I can tell you, they have advisors.  A typical HS football program puts 1 kid in D1 each year. A typical HS puts less than 1 scholarship player in D1 and less than 1 in a D1 school that has kids reach the NFL.  These kids get help. Coaches, other "friends" that are former D1 players. In Charlotte, where I live, my kids HS has 2 former NFL players on the sideline coaching. They advise these kids. So..not "advisors" financially but the kid gets help.

Heck  our own Josh McCown was an offensive assistant at Marvin Ridge HS here in Charlotte. Leon Washington is a coach at Weddington High, Frank Garcia is at my kids school and the other player  played for the eagles.  Thats right here in a 20 mile circle.  Read about Kerry Collins in HS. Hes one of 100's.

When you said "advisors", I thought that you meant "agents".  Of course, any kid in high school will have people that he confides in.

BUT, do you believe most of those people really know much? Let me tell you, they don't. My son just went through a recruiting process (baseball) and there is no real help that others can provide you. It is one of those things that you have to trust your own gut with. Your high school coach (or any confidant) will not be taking the college visits with you, nor can they tell you what you are comfortable with. That is on the kid, and a little bit the parents.

Herm will have A LOT of cache with kids who see what he has accomplished and his contacts. He also is a motivating type that will speak will to an 18n year old

2 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

I tend to agree with you. I dont think he will be a very good college HC but then who really knows. I think about Saban at Miami and how he did after that gig and also Pete Carroll who was a terrible NFL coach 1st couple of tries and then was a huge success at USC.

Agreed. Its all bulletin board JETS gossip.  No one really knows. I happen to think Carroll was a better NFL coach than we give him credit for. We fired him after one year for Kotite?

53 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

When you said "advisors", I thought that you meant "agents".  Of course, any kid in high school will have people that he confides in.

BUT, do you believe most of those people really know much? Let me tell you, they don't. My son just went through a recruiting process (baseball) and there is no real help that others can provide you. It is one of those things that you have to trust your own gut with. Your high school coach (or any confidant) will not be taking the college visits with you, nor can they tell you what you are comfortable with. That is on the kid, and a little bit the parents.

Herm will have A LOT of cache with kids who see what he has accomplished and his contacts. He also is a motivating type that will speak will to an 18n year old

Thats fair and in ALL DUE RESPECT, we are referring to kids with an NFL possibility that make the difference. Any college team only has 2-3 of them at any point (except the top 3-5 teams).  Those recruits will be counseled differently than most. BUT, I think we agree more than disagree.

6 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

we made the playoffs 1 time from 1992-2000 pre Herm and just 2 times 1987-2000 but in 5 years w/ us he made the playoffs 3 times including winning only our 2nd ever AFC East title(and we still only have 2 AFC East titles) and the only one won in the Brady era by anyone other than Brady when Brady has been primary starter.  What a terrible coach!

Jet fans are just the worst.

4 minutes ago, jmat321 said:

D1 football is all about recruiting.  I can see Herm going into those African American single mom homes and doing really well.  If he makes it to one Rose Bowl, he will be back in the NFL.  

I don't think he wants to coach in the NFL again and I think he will be a great recruiter and have success at ASU.

8 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

You don't need to be a tactician as a college football coach.  You just need to recruit good players.  If Herm can get some good players, he'll be fine.

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

we made the playoffs 1 time from 1992-2000 pre Herm and just 2 times 1987-2000 but in 5 years w/ us he made the playoffs 3 times including winning only our 2nd ever AFC East title(and we still only have 2 AFC East titles) and the only one won in the Brady era by anyone other than Brady when Brady has been primary starter.  What a terrible coach!

Jet fans are just the worst.

When you say worst... I assume you mean you???  A very easily satisfied mediocre fan.  Owners NEED you and your type because you expect so little. You should live in Cleveland.  Im confident, if you were my parent...  id have accomplished so little in life.  He is under 500, inherited a stacked team and hung on to noodle arm because he had no vision.  He did great in KC too. Your heroes are so mediocre. Im gonna guess you're a Mets fan?

8 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

You don't need to be a tactician as a college football coach.  You just need to recruit good players.  If Herm can get some good players, he'll be fine.

1 minute ago, detectivekimble said:

I dont think he will. Ive explained my thoughts with Scott Dierking...    my position is clear. Herm is Hot Air.

22 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

WTF is that supposed to mean? Are you implying that Yankee fans are some form of geniuses? If so, I only need direct you to their stands, or even some of the fans on the Yankee forum here.

That’s sad but true.....  in fact, I admire Mets fans.  They are a loyal bunch but suffer from poor management. 

Winning recruiting battles sounds easy enough.  But Herm will need to build connections to do that.  Maybe he's been steadily doing that over time in the decade since he's been out of coaching, but acting like he just needs to walk into a kid's house sweet talk him into signing is not how it works.  To even get into that blue chip prospect's home you need to already have built a network with HS coaches.  

Plus, it's not like Arizona State comes with a tremendous football pedigree.  If he was the coach of a perennial contender, the mere logo + presence of a former NFL coach would be a nice package for a HS kid to consider.  But Arizona State is merely just one of many party schools in the nation with a decent football team, playing in a bad conference.  Those aren't huge selling points.  They went 46-31 under Todd Graham (18-19 the last 3 years) with a couple bowl wins.  What more can they really expect than that under Herm?

I still think Herm's personality fits well for the college game, and that this was a good hire by ASU.  But it's going to take him a long time to move the needle there.  And at 63 years old, just how many years would he be willing to give the program to try to make it work?

Archived