Herm Edwards to destroy ASU Football New Head Coach

southparkcpa

If Herm gets the job good for him. There's nothing wrong with the guy and he got us into the playoffs 3 out of his 5 seasons. Sure he's FOS but he's a good guy too.  I don't see ASU turning it around under Herm which is what they should be looking for. Graham actually wasn't a bad head coach. 

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 2:09 PM, southparkcpa said:

When you say worst... I assume you mean you???  A very easily satisfied mediocre fan.  Owners NEED you and your type because you expect so little. You should live in Cleveland.  Im confident, if you were my parent...  id have accomplished so little in life.  He is under 500, inherited a stacked team and hung on to noodle arm because he had no vision.  He did great in KC too. Your heroes are so mediocre. Im gonna guess you're a Mets fan?

Congrats on being a billionaire, we know you would never settle for anything less.

He inherited a team so stacked they hadn't made the playoffs in 3 years and made it once in 9 years.  So stacked Parcells walked away, so stacked Belichick walked away, so stacked Groh walked away.

You are the worst type of fan and worst type of human being.  I truly feel bad for you. 

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

Congrats on being a billionaire, we know you would never settle for anything less.

He inherited a team so stacked they hadn't made the playoffs in 3 years and made it once in 9 years.  So stacked Parcells walked away, so stacked Belichick walked away, so stacked Groh walked away.

You are the worst type of fan and worst type of human being.  I truly feel bad for you. 

You attack me personally, I of course attack back but you get your panties in a wad.  OK.  Im good. BTW... it has NOTHING to do with money. I have more admiration for my musician friends who are broke but dedicate themselves to something than I do many  wealthy people.  I do abhor mediocrity.

12 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

You attack me personally, I of course attack back but you get your panties in a wad.  OK.  Im good. BTW... it has NOTHING to do with money. I have more admiration for my musician friends who are broke but dedicate themselves to something than I do many  wealthy people.  I do abhor mediocrity.

we all want SBs but it's something none of us have any control over, as we grow up and mature most of us realize it's about the time we spend w/ family, friends, etc... watching these games that are important not just winning a SB.  I want a SB more than anyone but there's nothing I can do to help them.  I can go to a game and scream as loud as I can. it won't help.  I'm not a player, not a coach, not an exec w/ the team.  In real life I agree w/ your philosophy but sports are not real life to us(well it is to me just not on a team level where my job is about winning and losing, I work w/ players and coaches off the field).

Why attack Herm before he's even coached one game for the Sun Devils. Let's see how he builds that program obviously ASU. wants to win a Pac 12 Championship and maybe get into the final four in the near future. Herm was not a bad coach with the Jets. And he's very good for the college game because he's a class individual. I think he can be a good recruiter. The guy I always thought would end up as a college coach was Rex. There's plenty of openings but you don't hear his name mentioned. You might think him at Tennessee would be a good fit. 

9 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Why attack Herm before he's even coached one game for the Sun Devils. Let's see how he builds that program obviously ASU. wants to win a Pac 12 Championship and maybe get into the final four in the near future. Herm was not a bad coach with the Jets. And he's very good for the college game because he's a class individual. I think he can be a good recruiter. The guy I always thought would end up as a college coach was Rex. There's plenty of openings but you don't hear his name mentioned. You might think him at Tennessee would be a good fit. 

Herm came to Charlotte to speak and a few of us from the JETS fan club went.  A buddy asked him how he felt  about the loss to PITT in Jan 2005, the missed field goal etc.  He literally embarassed my friend in front of a room of say 300 at a luncheon.  He said.. "Son, you gotta get a life".  I forgot about that game the day after.  I have college games that I think about more than that.    I believe him.

Contrast that to Ben Hogan, in basically his last US Open, putting a ball in the water on Sunday and losing the lead and the Open.  He said.. "Not a day goes by I dont think about that shot".

Ben Hogan is a champion, Herm is a talker, nothing more.  If his teams are mediocre, the kids wont come.

8 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Herm came to Charlotte to speak and a few of us from the JETS fan club went.  A buddy asked him how he felt  about the loss to PITT in Jan 2005, the missed field goal etc.  He literally embarassed my friend in front of a room of say 300 at a luncheon.  He said.. "Son, you gotta get a life".  I forgot about that game the day after.  I have college games that I think about more than that.    I believe him.

Contrast that to Ben Hogan, in basically his last US Open, putting a ball in the water on Sunday and losing the lead and the Open.  He said.. "Not a day goes by I dont think about that shot".

Ben Hogan is a champion, Herm is a talker, nothing more.  If his teams are mediocre, the kids wont come.

I understand what you're saying. We had beaten the Chargers in round 1 because Marty played conservatively (Martyball) down the stretch the only reason we were able to win. And then the next week against the Steelers Herm did the exact same thing. You'd think he would have learned but he didn't and probably won't with ASU. I never met him personally and his on air persona never appealed to me. I always thought he was FOS. But he's known as a character guy (even though he quit the Jets to get the KC job). Look, I don't love the guy and I'm sure that in some personal situations he might have acted like a jerk. Who doesn't. If I was interviewed on TV all of the time I'd make mistakes too. You see it in all walks of life not just sports.  But the guy deserves a chance to do well or fail. If ASU doesn't win and soon he will be out. Todd Graham was not a bad coach and they were 7-5 this season. And beat their big rival Arizona and made a bowl game. 

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

the best use losses as motivation but they also have the ability to not allow failure to paralyze them. 

Now I get it though, he embarrassed your friend or you and you hold a grudge.  Herm reached the highest level of his profession so he must have done something right.

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

I understand what you're saying. We had beaten the Chargers in round 1 because Marty played conservatively (Martyball) down the stretch the only reason we were able to win. And then the next week against the Steelers Herm did the exact same thing. You'd think he would have learned but he didn't and probably won't with ASU. I never met him personally and his on air persona never appealed to me. I always thought he was FOS. But he's known as a character guy (even though he quit the Jets to get the KC job). Look, I don't love the guy and I'm sure that in some personal situations he might have acted like a jerk. Who doesn't. If I was interviewed on TV all of the time I'd make mistakes too. You see it in all walks of life not just sports.  But the guy deserves a chance to do well or fail. If ASU doesn't win and soon he will be out. Todd Graham was not a bad coach and they were 7-5 this season. And beat their big rival Arizona and made a bowl game. 

the only reason that game got to OT was b/c we had a penalty after the game was won.

Herm didn't do the exact same thing a week later.  Our offense generated 3 points that game and he had a QB w/a  torn rotator cuff in his throwing shoulder against the top ranked D on the road.  Our K missed a kick as he hit the crossbar from 47 then he had a shot from 43.  The K needs to make one of those kicks.  the same fans that bash him are the same ones that if we run it and fumble they bash or if we throw it and take a sack or throw an INT they bash.  The K was put in a good position to win the game and he failed. 

Herm walked into a terrible situation here w/ the Jets.  3 HC's walked out on us in less than a year, other candidates wouldn't even interview for the job. The team had some young talent but had major cap issues and had just choked away a season they started 6-1 and were 9-4 to miss the playoffs.  Herm was not Bill Parcells, herm was not a great coach but he did a very good job for our franchise leading us to 3 postseasons in 5 years.  the 2 years he missed Chad missed 5 or 6 games in 2003 then Chad and his backup got hurt for the year in game 3 and we had major OL issues including Mawae getting hurt and Curtis getting hurt.

I have no idea how good or bad he will be at ASU but that man is passionate, a hard worker, is a great salesman(which you need to be in college) and will have a chance to succeed.

3 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

A college football coach is a weird position. Not only do you have to know x's and o's and usual coach stuff, you have to be a salesman about the school to recruits. I think Herm can do that, but the other stuff?

the other stuff will be up to his staff kind of as it was here.  Herm wasn't an X's and O's guy, he got guys to play hard for him. 

On 12/1/2017 at 12:48 PM, nyjunc said:

we made the playoffs 1 time from 1992-2000 pre Herm and just 2 times 1987-2000 but in 5 years w/ us he made the playoffs 3 times including winning only our 2nd ever AFC East title(and we still only have 2 AFC East titles) and the only one won in the Brady era by anyone other than Brady when Brady has been primary starter.  What a terrible coach!

Jet fans are just the worst.

I will admit Herm did have more success than I would've predicted when he got hired.  But I still think he was more of an empty-headed motivator who knew enough to let his assistants do their jobs.  But we even had a real chance to win that Pittsburgh playoff game (the Doug Brien game) so his formula (whatever it was) did kind of work.

On the other hand, being better than the previous crap we've had to endure doesn't mean he was great.  He won the division at 9-7.

The Herm era went about as well as we could've hoped for but it's not like I long for the old days of "Herm Warfare".  In many ways I think he was one of the biggest buffoons this franchise has ever had.  But I genuinely do wish him success at ASU.  I did like Herm as a person.  I'm just glad he's the HC of a team other than the NYJ.

4 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I will admit Herm did have more success than I would've predicted when he got hired.  But I still think he was more of an empty-headed motivator who knew enough to let his assistants do their jobs.  But we even had a real chance to win that Pittsburgh playoff game (the Doug Brien game) so his formula (whatever it was) did kind of work.

On the other hand, being better than the previous crap we've had to endure doesn't mean he was great.  He won the division at 9-7.

The Herm era went about as well as we could've hoped for but it's not like I long for the old days of "Herm Warfare".  In many ways I think he was one of the biggest buffoons this franchise has ever had.

He won the division at 9-7 where the last place team was 8-8 and we started 1-4/2-5 thanks in large part to a million injuries and let us not forget that this was the ONLY division title not won by Tom Brady in Brady's career.

Herm had a lot of faults as all coaches do but he got the most out of those teams. 

7 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

He won the division at 9-7 where the last place team was 8-8 and we started 1-4/2-5 thanks in large part to a million injuries and let us not forget that this was the ONLY division title not won by Tom Brady in Brady's career.

Herm had a lot of faults as all coaches do but he got the most out of those teams. 

Not true.

8 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I can't argue.  He did have success in his Jets coaching career and that's what it's all about.  But I still can't help but think he was a motivator and left the X's and O's to his assistants (who deserve a lot of the credit for his success).

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I can't argue.  He did have success in his Jets coaching career and that's what it's all about.  But I still can't help but think he was a motivator and left the X's and O's to his assistants (who deserve a lot of the credit for his success).

I agree w/ that statement, he's not an X's and O's guru.  He's a motivator, that should play well on the college level and especially in recruiting.  He will wow Moms of potential recruits and he spent his life at the NFL level where most of these kids want to get to.  He wil have a great slaes pitch for this kids in a not to difficult conference.  I think he'll do well.

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Nice of you to throw that in there after the fact.

did I really have to throw it in?  we know he missed all but a few plays in 2008 when the dolphins won it.  If he was healthy he would have won it again.  Do I also have to say he didn't win it in 2000 when he was the 3rd string QB? Come on. 

2 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

did I really have to throw it in?  we know he missed all but a few plays in 2008 when the dolphins won it.  If he was healthy he would have won it again.  Do I also have to say he didn't win it in 2000 when he was the 3rd string QB? Come on. 

2000 no.  2008 yes.

5 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

2000 no.  2008 yes.

Ok, I will add the disclaimer.

In all the years Brady has been primary starter for NE he has won the division every time EXCEPT 2002 when the New York Jets led by Herm Edwards and Chad Pennington won the AFC East.

47 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

the best use losses as motivation but they also have the ability to not allow failure to paralyze them. 

Now I get it though, he embarrassed your friend or you and you hold a grudge.  Herm reached the highest level of his profession so he must have done something right.

the only reason that game got t

Absolutely not...  I saw enough of Herm to know he was a quitter well before that day.  He does not have the ability to coach a big game, manage a clock, game plan it.  What he said to my friend absolutely made me lose some level of respect for him as a man, but as a coach, he lost that respect years before.  All talk, no action.  

13 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Ok, I will add the disclaimer.

In all the years Brady has been primary starter for NE he has won the division every time EXCEPT 2002 when the New York Jets led by Herm Edwards and Chad Pennington won the AFC East.

In other news,  Fire good.

49 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

the only reason that game got to OT was b/c we had a penalty after the game was won.

Herm didn't do the exact same thing a week later.  Our offense generated 3 points that game and he had a QB w/a  torn rotator cuff in his throwing shoulder against the top ranked D on the road.  Our K missed a kick as he hit the crossbar from 47 then he had a shot from 43.  The K needs to make one of those kicks.  the same fans that bash him are the same ones that if we run it and fumble they bash or if we throw it and take a sack or throw an INT they bash.  The K was put in a good position to win the game and he failed. 

Herm walked into a terrible situation here w/ the Jets.  3 HC's walked out on us in less than a year, other candidates wouldn't even interview for the job. The team had some young talent but had major cap issues and had just choked away a season they started 6-1 and were 9-4 to miss the playoffs.  Herm was not Bill Parcells, herm was not a great coach but he did a very good job for our franchise leading us to 3 postseasons in 5 years.  the 2 years he missed Chad missed 5 or 6 games in 2003 then Chad and his backup got hurt for the year in game 3 and we had major OL issues including Mawae getting hurt and Curtis getting hurt.

I have no idea how good or bad he will be at ASU but that man is passionate, a hard worker, is a great salesman(which you need to be in college) and will have a chance to succeed.

That is not the way I remember those two games. The Chargers passing game was working until Marty shut it down and tried to kill the clock with ball control. And the following week Herm did a similar kind of thing. 

10 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Absolutely not...  I saw enough of Herm to know he was a quitter well before that day.  He does not have the ability to coach a big game, manage a clock, game plan it.  What he said to my friend absolutely made me lose some level of respect for him as a man, but as a coach, he lost that respect years before.  All talk, no action.  

Was going to NE week 16 of 2002 a big game? how about the next week against 12-3 GB not knowing if the game would even mean anything?  How about winning on the road at Oak to get us to the playoffs in 2001 for our first win ever in Oakland?  how about all the playoff games? not big games?

Every HV has clock mgmt. issues, we see it every week.  some coaches have better players to overcome.  Herm took a team that choked out of the 2000 playoffs and led them there in 2011 then had an almost entire new D along w/ a new QB and won a div title the next year.

I understand meeting someone and changing your opinion.  I have seen it a million times, I love and hate meeting athletes and coaches but I try to be fair.  A hot topic has been Eli, as a person I really like him but I still have to be honest about him. 

8 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

That is not the way I remember those two games. The Chargers passing game was working until Marty shut it down and tried to kill the clock with ball control. And the following week Herm did a similar kind of thing. 

Marty went ball control when they were in chip shot range in OT.  our D was gassed, they could have gone for the kill but settled for 40 yd FG.  During the game our D shut them down and we would have won 17-10 in regulation if not for a bonehead penalty by Eric Barton after we stopped them in what would have sealed the game for us.

a week later Our O put up 3 points.  We scored 14 on D/STs.  we had an injured QB on the road against a top D.  Pitt tied it at 17 w/ 6 mins left, we then went on a 4 min drive w/ a mix of run and pass, on 3rd and 8 from the Pitt 28(already in FG range) we passed the ball and it was incomplete.  Our K then missed a makeable 47 yarder by inches.  The D picked off rookie Ben the next play and we had 1st and 10 at the Pitt 37.  After a 9 yadrd pass we had 1st and 10 at the Pitt 25.  we ran it 2 plays then took a knee losing a yard but we were set up middle of the field where the K wanted it for a 43 yd FG top win it.  if he kicks it the same way he kicked the 47 yarder we win.  He didn't, he hooked it and we lost.

54 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Marty went ball control when they were in chip shot range in OT.  our D was gassed, they could have gone for the kill but settled for 40 yd FG.  During the game our D shut them down and we would have won 17-10 in regulation if not for a bonehead penalty by Eric Barton after we stopped them in what would have sealed the game for us.

a week later Our O put up 3 points.  We scored 14 on D/STs.  we had an injured QB on the road against a top D.  Pitt tied it at 17 w/ 6 mins left, we then went on a 4 min drive w/ a mix of run and pass, on 3rd and 8 from the Pitt 28(already in FG range) we passed the ball and it was incomplete.  Our K then missed a makeable 47 yarder by inches.  The D picked off rookie Ben the next play and we had 1st and 10 at the Pitt 37.  After a 9 yadrd pass we had 1st and 10 at the Pitt 25.  we ran it 2 plays then took a knee losing a yard but we were set up middle of the field where the K wanted it for a 43 yd FG top win it.  if he kicks it the same way he kicked the 47 yarder we win.  He didn't, he hooked it and we lost.

i don't remember every single detail. I just know you can't depend on kicking a 47 yarder in those conditions. That was the argument against Herm going ultra conservative the same way Marty did the previous week. 

43 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

i don't remember every single detail. I just know you can't depend on kicking a 47 yarder in those conditions. That was the argument against Herm going ultra conservative the same way Marty did the previous week. 

the conditions were fine and he missed a 43 yarder after the 47 yarder. we have to remember we had a QB w/ a torn rotator cuff in his throwing shoulder against a fast defense.  some of those throws he made against SD he could not make against Pitt's D.

On 11/30/2017 at 7:12 AM, Philc1 said:

Why is everyone bashing this move?  College football is all about recruiting and Herm is a sweet talker

Yup for sure. He'll land a recruit or 2 just for his notoriety and how fond of him the TV viewers are.

So why not hire him!? 

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

the conditions were fine and he missed a 43 yarder after the 47 yarder. we have to remember we had a QB w/ a torn rotator cuff in his throwing shoulder against a fast defense.  some of those throws he made against SD he could not make against Pitt's D.

NT. It was January and cold. I forget what the wind conditions were but as I recall especially in Pittsburgh it was a rough day conditions wise. 

4 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

NT. It was January and cold. I forget what the wind conditions were but as I recall especially in Pittsburgh it was a rough day conditions wise. 

It was 28 degrees, 5 MPH wind.  Excellent conditions for January in Pittsburgh.  Jeff reed of Pitt hit a 45 yarder, Brien hit a 42 yarder earlier in the game.  a week later w/ the wind chill -1 and 9 MPH winds Vinatieri hit a 38 yarder and Reed a 43 yarder.  Brien just missed the kicks, he was oput in position to win it and failed to come through.

24 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

It was 28 degrees, 5 MPH wind.  Excellent conditions for January in Pittsburgh.  Jeff reed of Pitt hit a 45 yarder, Brien hit a 42 yarder earlier in the game.  a week later w/ the wind chill -1 and 9 MPH winds Vinatieri hit a 38 yarder and Reed a 43 yarder.  Brien just missed the kicks, he was oput in position to win it and failed to come through.

I don't agree. Jan in Pittsburgh in the evening is not good conditions. Esp for a 47 yarder. And then he took a knee which pushed him back a yard or two which made no sense. 

Archived