Are we good with Anderson and Kearse as our 1 and 2 for next year?

RutgersJetFan

Wide receivers that are currently under contract for 2018:

Jermaine Kearse, Robby Anderson, Devin Smith, Ardarius Stewart, Chad Hansen, Charone Peake, Brisly Estime.

Enunwa is an RFA coming off of major injury. 

It is hard for me to agree that we are set at WR.  Anderson appears to be developing into a legit #1 or #2.  Kearse is coming off of 2 really good games, but I am not convinced he is more than a 3 or 4 -- and even if he is a solid 2 --who else do we have that we can count on.  Enunwa is coming off of major injury (as are Peake and Devin Smith).  Nice to see Hansen getting more reps these last couple of weeks, but he is unproven.  Stewart barely gets any reps or targets.  I hope one of them shows something over the next 4 weeks, but as of now, I think we need to spend some of our FA money on a WR.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Lith said:

Wide receivers that are currently under contract for 2018:

Jermaine Kearse, Robby Anderson, Devin Smith, Ardarius Stewart, Chad Hansen, Charone Peake, Brisly Estime.

Enunwa is an RFA coming off of major injury. 

It is hard for me to agree that we are set at WR.  Anderson appears to be developing into a legit #1 or #2.  Kearse is coming off of 2 really good games, but I am not convinced he is more than a 3 or 4 -- and even if he is a solid 2 --who else do we have that we can count on.  Enunwa is coming off of major injury (as are Peake and Devin Smith).  Nice to see Hansen getting more reps these last couple of weeks, but he is unproven.  Stewart barely gets any reps or targets.  I hope one of them shows something over the next 4 weeks, but as of now, I think we need to spend some of our FA money on a WR.

You forgot ASJ assuming we want to bring him back, it's not like he wouldn't be considered a receiving option.

1 minute ago, bla bla bla said:

You forgot ASJ assuming we want to bring him back, it's not like he wouldn't be considered a receiving option.

Fair enough.  I was just listing WRs -- not TE.  Does not change my view that we need to add a proven WR in free agency

Just now, Lith said:

Fair enough.  I was just listing WRs -- not TE.  Does not change my view that we need to add a proven WR in free agency

I'd be okay with a 2nd tier WR like a Robinson or Pryor on a 1 year deal. I don't think overpaying Landry is a wise move, would rather overpay for Bell than Landry since it would be $3-5M cheaper.

31 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I'd be okay with a 2nd tier WR like a Robinson or Pryor on a 1 year deal. I don't think overpaying Landry is a wise move, would rather overpay for Bell than Landry since it would be $3-5M cheaper.

I am not a big fan of spending FA money on RBs.  While I love Bell as a player, he has been suspended twice, he has averaged 25 touches per game through his career, and this season, he is averaging less than 4 yards per carry, well below his career average.  Don't know how much tread is left on those tires.  RB is a young man's position and I would rather go the draft route.  Guys like Michel, Chubb, Jones, Adams could all be available in the 2nd round. 

21 minutes ago, Lith said:

I am not a big fan of spending FA money on RBs.  While I love Bell as a player, he has been suspended twice, he has averaged 25 touches per game through his career, and this season, he is averaging less than 4 yards per carry, well below his career average.  Don't know how much tread is left on those tires.  RB is a young man's position and I would rather go the draft route.  Guys like Michel, Chubb, Jones, Adams could all be available in the 2nd round. 

completely agree. My list I made reflects how I feel, I think the only players I'd like to sign are Cousins/Johnson/Butler. The 2nd tier are players I wouldn't mind having but are not high on a priority list for me.

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

@Sperm Edwards ?

Me either. I realize spending money on a back isn’t a popular idea but I think Bell brings a lot to the table. 

Retirement affects the cap the same way as trading him:

- whatever past-paid bonus money, that had yet to hit the cap, would accelerate to the current season*

- any future (yet to be paid out) guaranteed money is forfeit and never hits the team's cap

- any future (yet to be paid out) salary, workout bonus, etc. is forfeit and never hits the team's cap

* depends upon how many years remain on his contract and whether the player retired before or after June 1. Say there are 2+ years remaining, including the current/upcoming season:

- If he retires prior to June 1, the amortized amount (the signing/option bonus columns on salary cap websites) all accelerate to the current season.

- If he retires on/after June 1, then the current amortized amount is unchanged, and the remaining amounts all accelerate to the following season a year later. 

The Jets need the following and in the following order. 

1. QB

2. O-Line (OT, C specifically)

3. Pass Rusher 

Yes, they could use help at RB, CB and even WR depending on how Enunwa comes back after injury. But without a QB or O-line to protect him. Without a consistent pass rush, the Jets will never take the next step to being a playoff contender. If Cousins re-signs with Wash, the Jets need to do whatever they can to move up for a top QB they like in the draft- whoever that may be. And they need to continue drafting/signing O-line and Pass Rusher until they find guys that can be building blocks at those positions.   

On 12/3/2017 at 7:49 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

Even before today Anderson was shooting up into holy crap territory. Kearse has been consistent all year.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/wr

The numbers actually say this is a legitimate maybe. Both are still on insanely cheap deals. Would free up the resources we have to pursue other things. But I've just been heartbroken too many times and am struggling to find the will to trust again.

If Q comes back healthy to be back in the slot, I think the Jets 1-3 are fine.

Spend money on the line.   Draft a QB for the future, and then more line (and less safeties)

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Le’Veon Bell is an interesting player. 

Leading the league in rushing yet again. 25. From NJ. Wants money. We got money. Hey...i’d sign him just based on how young he is and how much production he brings. Signing HB’s for big money IS usually a stupid thing but when he’s a proven star at 25? ...hey i’d do it.

the jets best wr is an UDFA, so you never know where talent will come from.  i think mccags should keep adding guys and let them compete.  at this point we all think we're getting nothing from devin smith but stranger things have happened.  maybe jordan leggett shows something, or maybe chad hansen becomes the slot wr we've been waiting for.  more than anything i like this offense and i hope they keep the OC and qb coach.

16 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Leading the league in rushing yet again. 25. From NJ. Wants money. We got money. Hey...i’d sign him just based on how young he is and how much production he brings. Signing HB’s for big money IS usually a stupid thing but when he’s a proven star at 25? ...hey i’d do it.

Agreed. Good post.

27 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Paying RBs is usually not a great idea, but there are exceptions to every rule and Bell could be one.  Given our immense cap space, we could give Bell a big 3/4 year deal so that he hits FA again prior to his age 30 season, which allows to keep him on an extension/restructure if he continues being awesome, or let him go as the team changes.

Frankly, I think a big part of it is the type of system that Pitts runs/Bell excels in as we do not have a power running line at all, given how poor winters is at the point of attack.  With him, and hopefully a new, athletic center, the team would be better to run more of a zone type system to get the lineman pulling an in space.  I think Bell would be good in that system, Im just not sure about what Pitts runs.

The other issue is this draft is very strong at the RB position, so we would be essentially forgoing that position in the draft, but obviously it allows us to pick other positions.

1 minute ago, BCJet said:

Paying RBs is usually not a great idea, but there are exceptions to every rule and Bell could be one.  Given our immense cap space, we could give Bell a big 3/4 year deal so that he hits FA again prior to his age 30 season, which allows to keep him on an extension/restructure if he continues being awesome, or let him go as the team changes.

Frankly, I think a big part of it is the type of system that Pitts runs/Bell excels in as we do not have a power running line at all, given how poor winters is at the point of attack.  With him, and hopefully a new, athletic center, the team would be better to run more of a zone type system to get the lineman pulling an in space.  I think Bell would be good in that system, Im just not sure about what Pitts runs.

The other issue is this draft is very strong at the RB position, so we would be essentially forgoing that position in the draft, but obviously it allows us to pick other positions.

Pitt oline likes to play zone blocking. 

13 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

Agreed on the overrated. I also want no part of Bell, I just think paying Landry $10-15M a year makes no sense with the players we have now which is why Bell is higher.

Unfortunately to get a player like Landry in FA you have to overpay.  You overpay for WR, pass rusher and qb

10 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Has a lot of miles and 25 isn’t young for a RB

10 hours ago, chirorob said:

If Q comes back healthy to be back in the slot, I think the Jets 1-3 are fine.

Spend money on the line.   Draft a QB for the future, and then more line (and less safeties)

Q’s Health is a huge if

Robby is not a #1 on a good team not even close.  Kearse is an ok 2nd or 3rd receiver 

3 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Unfortunately to get a player like Landry in FA you have to overpay.  You overpay for WR, pass rusher and qb

Which is exactly why I think overpaying for a position of strength doesn't make sense. Even for Bell, I think Powell, McGuire and a rookie are more than fine.

1 minute ago, bla bla bla said:

Which is exactly why I think overpaying for a position of strength doesn't make sense. Even for Bell, I think Powell, McGuire and a rookie are more than fine.

Giving Bell a big contract so reeks of Macagnan but even I don’t think he is that stupid

4 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Giving Bell a big contract so reeks of Macagnan but even I don’t think he is that stupid

I don't think it does, we haven't spent a high pick on a RB nor have we really over spent in FA. We allowed Ivory to walk and instead signed the cheaper Forte. If we don't sign Cousins then maybe it's a consideration but I'm not sure it will be high on his list.

A full corps is more important than a “true #1” WR. All the QB needs are multiple decent targets with at least 1 of them capable of a big play (and Anderson’s certainly capable of that himself). Pretty much all of them can run a quick slant to audible into on demand when the QB senses a heavy blitz coming.

Anderson can certainly take the top off a defense but for all his recent numbers - not to mention the numbers he’d have with a better QB who further benefits from better protection - I still don’t know that he’s the “if he’s merely single-covered, he’s wide open” type.

That said, if we have a solid enough group as a whole, they can’t adequately double-cover 3 WRs and a TE all at the same time. For all the holes and needed upgrades the team truly has, another WR wouldn’t even crack the top 5. Two veterans, a 3rd veteran coming back from injury, a 4th veteran they can keep if they like (coming off suspension), a pair of 2017 mid-round rookies, and a couple more shots in the dark from the past getting one last look (D.Smith, J.Marshall, Peake) ... that honestly ought to be enough. The only way it isn’t is if Enunwa’s never going to be starter-worthy again, Kerley looks bad off the juice, and literally every other young WR we’ve drafted is worthless dog***t. 

Therefore I’m expecting WR to be among the positions in the mix with our 1st round pick, and/or we’re going to sink a bunch of money into a player who’ll never live up to his contract, rendering it pointless to have used 2 picks on WRs in 2017. 

19 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

A full corps is more important than a “true #1” WR. All the QB needs are multiple decent targets with at least 1 of them capable of a big play (and Anderson’s certainly capable of that himself). Pretty much all of them can run a quick slant to audible into on demand when the QB senses a heavy blitz coming.

Anderson can certainly take the top off a defense but for all his recent numbers - not to mention the numbers he’d have with a better QB who further benefits from better protection - I still don’t know that he’s the “if he’s merely single-covered, he’s wide open” type.

That said, if we have a solid enough group as a whole, they can’t adequately double-cover 3 WRs and a TE all at the same time. For all the holes and needed upgrades the team truly has, another WR wouldn’t even crack the top 5. Two veterans, a 3rd veteran coming back from injury, a 4th veteran they can keep if they like (coming off suspension), a pair of 2017 mid-round rookies, and a couple more shots in the dark from the past getting one last look (D.Smith, J.Marshall, Peake) ... that honestly ought to be enough. The only way it isn’t is if Enunwa’s never going to be starter-worthy again, Kerley looks bad off the juice, and literally every other young WR we’ve drafted is worthless dog***t. 

Therefore I’m expecting WR to be among the positions in the mix with our 1st round pick, and/or we’re going to sink a bunch of money into a player who’ll never live up to his contract, rendering it pointless to have used 2 picks on WRs in 2017. 

WR in the first round should not even be mentioned. 

8 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

WR in the first round should not even be mentioned. 

Right. That isn’t happening. They don’t even need to address WR period tbh. Maybe get you a complimentary cheap wide out with upside come FA but just one...nothing else regarding the position is really logical or necessary. ..we’d just be taking away from adding to a more important need.

11 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

He does have some miles on him but I disagree, 25 is fine for a running back. At least 6..7 years worth of consistent production left.

How many rings do Ladainian, Adrian Peterson and Chris Johnson have combined?

11 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Right. That isn’t happening. They don’t even need to address WR period tbh. Maybe get you a complimentary cheap wide out with upside come FA but just one...nothing else regarding the position is really logical or necessary. ..we’d just be taking away from adding to a more important need.

If enunwa's injury is not career threatening, then wr is not a prime need.  Qb and o-line are the two areas they need to address, with cb 3rd.

Archived