There goes the whole "the kid learned humility" angle for Geno

jgb

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, detectivekimble said:

I'm not a Geno Smith person.  I just think it's funny that you rip Geno, but not Sanchez.  The only difference between them is that one played on two loaded teams and the other played with trash.  

You had me at “I’m not a Geno Smith person”. 

In 2014 Geno Smith went 3-10. He had Eric Decker. He had Jeremy Kerley. He had Chris Ivory.  He had an experienced, 6 year head coach who won 4 road playoff games.

In 2015 perennial loser Ryan Fitzpatrick had a record setting season with the same offense, just adding inconsistent Brandon Marshall.  He had a rookie head coach and all his warts.

Geno had his day with a “good offense”.  He may not have had it as good as Sanchez but he had it better than Fitzpatrick. Geno failed.

SAR I

1 hour ago, section314 said:

What?  Is this a Trump Tweet? 

Geno Smith, the preseason starter, was given the role in Week 8 at the Raiders. 

We were 4-2. When Fitzpatrick returned we went on a run of 6-3. 

If Geno were any good he would have done his job and won the one game we counted on him to win as our backup, especially one who was actually supposed to be our starter. 

Geno cost us the 11th win we needed to get into the playoffs. Record setting offense. Did nothing with it. 

SAR I

41 minutes ago, August said:

You're not keeping the same energy. You're quick to point out how the defense didn't step up in certain situations so how is the defense giving up big plays to Oakland correlates to Geno's play? And when Geno did have weapons around him he played well. As a matter of fact someone posted the numbers in an old article. 

You’re not using the same thrust. The Oakland game was winnable. Geno didn’t show up. 

SAR I

22 minutes ago, JiF said:

Have we compared Geno’s Sunday to Mark’s yet?

If Chicago’s head coach and GM wanted to be fired in time to enjoy Christmas with their families like McAdoo and Reece perhaps then it would have been a conversation. 

Insubordination and Geno Smith, suicide by cock.

SAR I

40 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Geno Smith, the preseason starter, was given the role in Week 8 at the Raiders. 

We were 4-2. When Fitzpatrick returned we went on a run of 6-3. 

If Geno were any good he would have done his job and won the one game we counted on him to win as our backup, especially one who was actually supposed to be our starter. 

Geno cost us the 11th win we needed to get into the playoffs. Record setting offense. Did nothing with it. 

SAR I

Geno, after Fitzpatrick got hurt, was 27-42, 2TD's 1Int. Was the leading rusher for the day, 2-34. Put up 17 pts. As usual, the defense was the culprit, giving up 34 points. They cost us the win, not the backup QB.  Keep trying. The sh*t will stick to the wall one of these threads.

2 hours ago, section314 said:

Geno, after Fitzpatrick got hurt, was 27-42, 2TD's 1Int. Was the leading rusher for the day, 2-34. Put up 17 pts. As usual, the defense was the culprit, giving up 34 points. They cost us the win, not the backup QB.  Keep trying. The sh*t will stick to the wall one of these threads.

I don’t know what is more sad... Geno supporters or Idzik supporters...

How do you spell "garbage time"?

Wait.  I just did.

SAR I

31 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

I don’t know what is more sad... Geno supporters or Idzik supporters...

The Jets lost to the Oakland Raiders 34-20.

We were leading 3-0 on the one drive Ryan Fitzpatrick had before he hurt his hand and was replaced.

image.png

Geno is in!  Here we go:  Punt, Punt, Interception.  21 points gift wrapped by Geno Smith.  It's 21-3 and the blowout is on. 

This is the evidence of the "great" Geno Smith?  With the prolific 2015 Jets offense about to score a record 31 TD's with the other quarterback?  HA HA HA HA! 

SAR I

3 hours ago, section314 said:

Wasnt this the game where he ran out of bounds behind the line of scrimmage thinking it stopped the clock? And then did it again?

Geno, with a perfect clean pocket can get the ball down the field. He'll be backup for a long time if he wants to be on that alone. He just has no internal clock and zero feel for the pocket.

9 hours ago, SAR I said:

In 2014 Geno Smith went 3-10. He had Eric Decker. He had Jeremy Kerley. He had Chris Ivory.  He had an experienced, 6 year head coach who won 4 road playoff games.

In 2015 perennial loser Ryan Fitzpatrick had a record setting season with the same offense, just adding inconsistent Brandon Marshall.  He had a rookie head coach and all his warts.

Geno had his day with a “good offense”.  He may not have had it as good as Sanchez but he had it better than Fitzpatrick. Geno failed.

SAR I

Fact is a good QB makes a good offense more so than the other way around. Just look at all the examples from this year alone. Green Bay with and without Rogers. Texans with Watson versus Savage. Fact is an offense will always look like garbage if the QB is garbage. So yes to say Geno only worked in "garbage offenses" that would be true... because he made them so.

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Wasnt this the game where he ran out of bounds behind the line of scrimmage thinking it stopped the clock? And then did it again?

Geno, with a perfect clean pocket can get the ball down the field. He'll be backup for a long time if he wants to be on that alone. He just has no internal clock and zero feel for the pocket.

Geno Smith has fulfilled his NFL destiny.  He is forever the answer to the trivia question "which quarterback got the start that broke Eli Manning's consecutive starting streak?"

SAR I

2 hours ago, jgb said:

Fact is a good QB makes a good offense more so than the other way around. Just look at all the examples from this year alone. Green Bay with and without Rogers. Texans with Watson versus Savage. Fact is an offense will always look like garbage is the QB is garbage. So yes to say Geno only worked in "garbage offenses" that would be true... because he made them so.

Good post.  Agree completely.  Geno's offense was garbage because he was garbage. 

And by the same logic, Mark Sanchez made that '09 and '10 offense hum so he was anything but garbage.

SAR I

9 hours ago, SAR I said:

Good post.  Agree completely.  Geno's offense was garbage because he was garbage. 

And by the same logic, Mark Sanchez made that '09 and '10 offense hum so he was anything but garbage.

SAR I

I'd say Mark is limited. That is admittedly a wide classification as all but the very top and very bottom starters in the league fit in there. But Geno is plainly in the bottom category. I just don't think Geno has the intellectual horsepower to run an NFL offense competently over significant sample sizes. My opinion is reinforced by poor performance, plus: attempting to run from the draft after getting passed over, blaming/firing his agents for his draft fall (when they saved his bacon by convincing him to remain for day 2, otherwise he would've fallen even further), his infamous failure to deal with the IK situation as a leader should (and lacking the basic intelligence to understand that mass is positively correlated to force), and now this week's cro-magnon-style and low-impulse-control retaliation after getting one faint whiff of Rex's ass several years after their last interaction.

If I had to choose a QB between the two, first I'd vomit, and then I'd choose Mark and never look back. I would make this decision confidently despite Geno's indisputably superior physical tools and relative youth.

21 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Please, stop it with your nonsense.  In 2014, Eric Decker missed games with an injury and even when he did play, he was gimping around.  

And all the Jets added was Brandon Marshall?  That's hilarious.  The dude made the ALL PRO team that year and is a multiple time Pro Bowler and All Pro player.  The Jets also went on a $100 million dollar spending spree that included signing James Carpenter, who has been their best lineman since he's been here.  Decker was also healthy and was pushed down to the #2 spot (where he had a huge advantage over #2 CBs).  Don't forget the soft schedule in 2015, either.

22 hours ago, nyjunc said:

One was good and the other wasn't.

The 'loaded" teams Mark played couldn't even make the playoffs w/ Brett Favre in 2008 in a year Brady was lost for the season week 1.  We had some talent and Mark was part o that.  Geno showed flashes but mostly late in seasons when we were out of the race, mark stepped up in playoff games.

Brett Favre got hurt in 2008 and the rosters weren't the same, so get out of here with those BS arguments.  You're insane if you think the Jets wouldn't have made the playoffs in 2009 with Brett Favre.  

21 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

Please, stop it with your nonsense.  In 2014, Eric Decker missed games with an injury and even when he did play, he was gimping around.  

And all the Jets added was Brandon Marshall?  That's hilarious.  The dude made the ALL PRO team that year and is a multiple time Pro Bowler and All Pro player.  The Jets also went on a $100 million dollar spending spree that included signing James Carpenter, who has been their best lineman since he's been here.  Decker was also healthy and was pushed down to the #2 spot (where he had a huge advantage over #2 CBs).  Don't forget the soft schedule in 2015, either.

After his rookie year... I thought we had a workable solution at QB with Geno. He threw a rope, played OK, won the opening game in Buffalo with his legs. I wrongly assumed we would go 10-6 his 2nd year.

Its a JETS curse that QB's can regress the way mark, Geno and so many others have.

On 12/4/2017 at 9:52 PM, JetBlue said:

Your opinion nothing more.  Geno had 105 passer rating his last 4-5 starts in his second season and was the projected starter the following season until his face ran into IT's first.  His next chance to start he was playing ok before getting a season ending knee injury.    This Sunday in his first start since the injury, he played well enough to win and had marched the team down the field for what should have been the game with the winning score if the defense had down its job.   I get this emotional response to Geno as if he committed some personal affront to you or your family,  but he is still only 25-26 and some team will sign him this off season and he may very well win a starting job.  The NFL is not exactly brimming with blue chip talent at the quarterback position.  Bottom line is if Fitzpatrick and McCown can last and play in this league, there is no reason to believe Geno can't in the right situation.

my opinion, he fumbles twice, but he looked good. It is always someone elses fault with geno smith. the guy had to fight for a roster spot and number do not lie 39 interceptions in 31 starts how many fumbles geno smith is not a good starting qb. He could have the highest passer rating in the world and still suck because he can not read defenses and does not learn from his mistakes. Next yr if he is in the league because chances are the giants move on from him then.... Geno smith is back up at best, all physical talent and no brain

On 12/4/2017 at 10:18 PM, Jetsplayer21 said:

Put Mark Sanchez, tunover machine, top on that list ha. 110 turnovers, in 78 games played?. That’s total games played, not just starts. And we lead the league in rushing attempts when he was here lol. Total bust.

no argument there but why drag Sancheez into this when we are bitching about geno or are you bitter that even though sanchez was bad we still went to two afc championship games. Imagine if we had decent qb play

20 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Mark was in the wrong offense.  

The thing he did really well was roll and out throw.   Something that offered more play action and getting him moving.   Later on, they had him in the shot gun, with 4 WR, which is what he was worst at.

He was ok, with 2 nice playoff runs.   He wasn't handled well, ws probably a bit immature, and should have stayed at USC for 1 more year.

FWIW

Smith lost 66 DYAR due to opponent adjustments, second-most of any quarterback this week. He completed 62 percent of his passes against Oakland. Only three quarterbacks had lower completion rates against the Raiders this year, and two of them were Trevor Siemian. It really doesn't help that Smith fumbled on two of his three sacks.

18 hours ago, jgb said:

If I had to choose a QB between the two, first I'd vomit, and then I'd choose Mark and never look back. I would make this decision confidently despite Geno's indisputably superior physical tools and relative youth.

"Superior physical tools" mean nothing when he's got "inferior mental tools".

Smarts beats physical strength every time.

SAR I

6 hours ago, detectivekimble said:

Brandon Marshall was an All Pro because of Ryan Fitzpatrick in the same way that Eric Decker wasn't even honorable mention because of Geno Smith.

Geno had numerous chances with good offenses and sh*t the bed each time.

SAR I

48 minutes ago, rammagen said:

no argument there but why drag Sancheez into this when we are bitching about geno or are you bitter that even though sanchez was bad we still went to two afc championship games. Imagine if we had decent qb play

Exactly.

These Geno Lickers can't make a case for why Geno was good, so the only argument they can make is "but but but (insert name here) sucked too!"

SAR I

48 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Mark was in the wrong offense.  

The thing he did really well was roll and out throw.   Something that offered more play action and getting him moving.   Later on, they had him in the shot gun, with 4 WR, which is what he was worst at.

He was ok, with 2 nice playoff runs.   He wasn't handled well, ws probably a bit immature, and should have stayed at USC for 1 more year.

...or perhaps we should have fired Rex Ryan, fired Tony Sparano, kept Mike Tannenbaum, and focused on building an offense for the first time in 20 years.

SAR I

46 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

FWIW

Smith lost 66 DYAR due to opponent adjustments, second-most of any quarterback this week. He completed 62 percent of his passes against Oakland. Only three quarterbacks had lower completion rates against the Raiders this year, and two of them were Trevor Siemian. It really doesn't help that Smith fumbled on two of his three sacks.

You must be a racist 

57 minutes ago, rammagen said:

Only if Rex had convinced farve to stay. Guy was a MVP candidate for Vikings in 09, and we were stuck with writing plays in crayons for hotdog boy ?. Geno and Sanchez were equally garbage. Sanchez just had a MUCH better jet team than geno. 

10 minutes ago, SAR I said:

...or perhaps we should have fired Rex Ryan, fired Tony Sparano, kept Mike Tannenbaum, and focused on building an offense for the first time in 20 years.

SAR I

or perhaps we should just realize that Sanchez or Geno "friggin" Smith are not franchise QB's, never were franchise QB's or never will be franchise QB's. If they were they would be starting for an actual franchise.

Archived