Bowles and Macc are coming back

Maxman

That is my take away from yesterday. Young talent. The team is playing hard. Players are being held accountable.

Looks like this front office and coaching staff will both be back.

Good news because with all this cap room they need to hit the ground running when the season ends. No time to waste

Next year is going to be a good year for the Jets. Playoffs.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I owned this team I'd ask Todd Bowles, "why is this defense giving up all these big plays?".

Its a legitimate question. Todd has a job to do, his expertise is defense. He's hired his friend as  a defensive coordinator. He fired coaches & replaced them this year. This team has put most of its resources into this defense. He may have a legitimate answer, I don't know? But the question needs to be asked. 

Look what Morton & Bates are doing on offense with a very subpar Oline and a 38 year old QB who was 2-22 when he came here & has 5 wins in 12 games! This Jets organization has always been ok with mediocrity. If Bowles isn't going than I'd put pressure on him to can Kacey Rogers. Something is not kosher with our defensive schemes & what's being taught here in the secondary.

4 minutes ago, Jetster said:

If I owned this team I'd ask Todd Bowles, "why is this defense giving up all these big plays?".

Its a legitimate question. Todd has a job to do, his expertise is defense. He's hired his friend as  a defensive coordinator. He fired coaches & replaced them this year. This team has put most of its resources into this defense. He may have a legitimate answer, I don't know? But the question needs to be asked. 

Look what Morton & Bates are doing on offense with a very subpar Oline and a 38 year old QB who was 2-22 when he came here & has 5 wins in 12 games! This Jets organization has always been ok with mediocrity. If Bowles isn't going than I'd put pressure on him to can Kacey Rogers. Something is not kosher with our defensive schemes & what's being taught here in the secondary.

We will be drafting defense in the first round again. 

That is my take away from yesterday. Young talent. The team is playing hard. Players are being held accountable.
Good news because with all this cap room they need to hit the ground running when the season ends. No time to waste

Agreed!

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

29 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Both Bowles and Mac deserve to be back. This team has a lot of young talent and is headed in the right direction. 

Kudos to Bowles on how he handled Lee and Wilkerson. He prevented it from turning into a disfunctional mess and showed who is in charge. This team plays hard for him!

That answer is simple, we have 2 rookie safeties and very mediocre CB’s.

41 minutes ago, Maxman said:

This is exactly like the year as Geno said he saved Rex Ryans Job. What were they 8-8? Very next year goes 4-12 and is fired. All this year did was extend the misery.

10 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

That answer is simple, we have 2 rookie safeties and very mediocre CB’s.

We scored 38 points & barely won at home. The 2-10 Giants beat KC in KC & didn't come close to giving up so many big plays & just lost to Oakland who played WITHOUT their 2 starting WRs, Crabtree & Cooper. Sorry, I'm not impressed with our defensive coaching.

Just now, Jetsbb said:

This is exactly like the year as Geno said he saved Rex Ryans Job. What were they 8-8? Very next year goes 4-12 and is fired. All this year did was extend the misery.

This is my deepest fear with Todd Bowles. KC is 1-6 in their last 7 games so this was not some transcendent win for the organization. Our ladder rung of success has been place so f*cking low, our giddiness after wins and how we always sweep the bad play under the rug bugs the sh*t out of me. Pats players say Belichick always has criticism even AFTER every win. 

38 minutes ago, Ken Shroy said:

He has shown something, that's for sure. We should draft a QB with our 1st pick and try and bring McCown back but not if he wants big bucks. We don't need to do the Fitz mistake again.

Honestly, at this point, unless we're going to trade up, I don't know if you go QB just to go QB, we'll be outside top 10 now.

I think they've both earned it. I really want to see this running game with a good center in place. I'm not overly concerned about the secondary yet, I think they'll clean up some of the chunk plays with just getting experience. I do think we need another corner though. Kelce went 90 yards and 2 TDs in the first quarter and then only had 4 yards after that, Hill still got monster plays but it was nice to see them take away the initial bleeding. I'm not sure anyone on our defense is capable of keeping up with Hill, we probably needed to double him to try and neutralize that speed. 

14 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

I felt like we lucked into a bunch of wins that year and played above our talent level. For the most part this season we have been consistently in games and have even had some terrible calls go against us. If we were winning these games purely on a last second penalty that gave us a shot at a FG or a penalty that gives us an additional shot at a FG I'd be more apt to agree.

I think our record next year will be dictated on how our cap and draft picks are spent (particularly at QB). The 4-12 year was also a product of Idzik not spending any of our cap space on players after consistently making terrible picks. (And having a terrible QB in Geno)

4 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

3 seasons and they really arent any better as a total team.

Defense minded HC, 3 drafts emphasizing defense and KC scores 31 points in 17 minutes of possession.

Offense positions drafted contribute zilch.

I think they stay but wish they were gone,

I do think it's a little unfair to discredit the offensive players who are contributing just because they weren't our draft picks. I don't care where we get the talent so long as they are playing well. ASJ, Kearse, Carpenter and Robby weren't drafted by us but this regime has brought them in without over paying. 

I think Shell and McGuire have been fine additions so far. I haven't seen enough of the young WRs or Leggett we drafted this year to say whether they are good or bad yet. The only real black mark is the Hack selection. I can't fault the Smith pick because he was never injured prior to becoming a Jet, that's just bad luck IMO. It would be like saying the Vikings are idiots for selecting Teddy Bridgewater. Now if Smith had been injury prone like Milliner was coming into the league then that would be a bad selection.

18 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I felt like we lucked into a bunch of wins that year and played above our talent level. For the most part this season we have been consistently in games and have even had some terrible calls go against us. If we were winning these games purely on a last second penalty that gave us a shot at a FG or a penalty that gives us an additional shot at a FG I'd be more apt to agree.

I think our record next year will be dictated on how our cap and draft picks are spent (particularly at QB). The 4-12 year was also a product of Idzik not spending any of our cap space on players after consistently making terrible picks. (And having a terrible QB in Geno)

I agree with you. This shows that Bowles and the coaches are doing an overall good job. When you get the most out of your talent, and compete every week, it says you probably don't have a coaching problem. 

Yes unfortunately they are. While I am a little pissed at the fact that while its nice to say we're gonna get Counsins nothing is written in stone. It looks like that may be the plan but I am worried Macchole can't pull it off. If he can't I guess they will go with McCown and then try to move up in the draft. Once again a nice idea but can Macchole pull it off? I am skeptical at best at the prospect of that happening.

I will say Bowles has come a long way this season but the defensive miscues bother me but that maybe due to a young team etc. I was happy he disciplined players this week and that in and of itself is a step in the right direction. Bowles lost this team last season as we all know and showing some balls this season by doling out discipline is another step in the right direction. Can Todd Bowles be an effective HC in this league? He's learning. Hell he even showed some emotion on the sidelines on Sunday! WOW. The stone face actually cracked. He still looked confused by McCowns enthusiasm on the sidelines on that last drive but he maybe turning the corner. All in all I will grudgingly say Bowles has done a better job this season and he is earning another year. Its just so Jetsy that he would pick a year to do it when they have a chance to draft a decent QB. I guess thats what I'm a little pissed about.

1 hour ago, Ken Shroy said:

He has shown something, that's for sure. We should draft a QB with our 1st pick and try and bring McCown back but not if he wants big bucks. We don't need to do the Fitz mistake again.

the fitz mistake was not the money but the fact that he didn't show his face until the beginning of training camp.  had he been with the team from the ota's i'll bet there wouldn't have been such bs being stirred up in the locker room.  just my opinion.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

The great hallmark of the Woody Johnson Jets has been to reward mediocrity and then act surprised when the product remains mediocre, so yeah. 

I look at what Zimmer has done up in Minnesota. Both are defensive coordinators going to directionless teams doing the QB shuffle. The Vikings under Zimmer have continuously gotten BETTER on defense, regardless of who was QBing, but they also were unafraid to do whatever they have had to do to address their problems on offense, drafting lineman, making trades for QBs ect. I can tell you this, you give Zimmer 38 points & 43 minutes of TOP & his defense is kicking your azz all over the place! Even if he had this Jet defense. 

1 hour ago, Ken Shroy said:

I have to agree. As much as I hate to admit it, Bowles isn't going anywhere.

i'll tell you, when kc went up 14-0 (and so easily) i thought the bowles launch clock moved forward a couple of notches.  but after seeing the way the team kept coming back (in spite of the calls going for them for once) the clock has got to be moved back a notch or two.

i have said all along that getting the coaches and front office straightened out is more valuable than getting a top draft choice.  it looks like bowles and mac survive the season. there are still 4 games left though.

We scored 38 points & barely won at home. The 2-10 Giants beat KC in KC & didn't come close to giving up so many big plays & just lost to Oakland who played WITHOUT their 2 starting WRs, Crabtree & Cooper. Sorry, I'm not impressed with our defensive coaching.

All due respect that’s a silly comparison. Week to week things change and happen in the NFL. Just because two teams that played a common team performed differently does not mean you can compare the two. NE was trounced by KC, giving up 42 points in a loss at home.

Our Defense is leaky for sure, and I do put a lot of the onus on coaching for that. But you can’t possibly underestimate the effect of starting 2 rookie safeties. It’s unprecedented, and besides the fact they themselves will get burned as rookies do, they’re also calling out coverage assignments and frankly given their lack of experience I can assure you there are mistakes being made in that as well, resulting in giving up big plays. Both players need experience to get better in both categories. But to the point of the original question of Bowles answering to the big plays we’ve given up, that reason is extremely valid and likely the biggest root cause.

Archived