What do we do with Mo?

Jetster

Mo Wilkerson is the antithesis of a leader. This is the 2nd year in a row he's been disciplined by Bowles, not a good thing regarding your HIGHEST PAID PLAYER making 17 million dollars. Could you imagine giving that money to Trumaine Johnson instead? How much better would the Jets be with a legitimate #1 CB? Mo Wilkerson couldn't hold Calais Campbells (12.5 sacks) jock strap. Campbells cap in 2017 (11.5 mill, 16.5 next year, Max 18 mill in 2020). 

Just curious what other Jet fans think we should do with him. His contract is literally absurd for 2018 for his limited production & attitude for a young team, $20 million! 9 million dead cap hit if we cut him. Just one more example of this Jets organization rewarding questionable players. There are plenty of azzholes in this league but all you ask of them when you pay them is to bring it on Sunday. Wilkerson was a mistake & before he was resigned I posted many threads stating my fear that his stats were built on a few good games & he disappeared way to much for my liking. Did you see Mack yesterday? Or Bennett last night? Campbell? You give a guy the type of contract we gave Mo, you better believe this is a self motivated guy who wants to be the best! Personally I think they should cut bait & use that 11 million + toward the best edge rusher or CB they can find in free agency. THAT would help everyone else out much more than having Mo around. You already have Williams getting doubled even WITH MO on the line. PLUS, it lets the young players know on this TEAM anyone is expendable if they don't sign on to the TEAM theme they are trying to project. This is your job & we expect you to show up for practice ON TIME, and give 100% for 60 mintutes each week. 

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He should not be back with the team, dead money sucks, but is not the end of the world and we have enough cap space to take the hit.

Mo has been a disciplinary problem for years now and is a terrible example for the younger players when it comes to accountability.  If he was racking up double digit sack seasons then it would be one thing, but he isnt so he is simply not worth the headache.

Wilkerson doesn't love football; he loves money.  I want players who love football as much as they love money. I would say good-bye to Wilkerson.  This team is having success because they are finding players who love to play football, and buy into what the team is selling.  Wilkerson through his actions is not buying into the team.

lI have not watched much of this season admittedly because I refuse to put my emotions into a Todd Bowles "coached" team. I know they cannot contend for a Championship and have watched 45+ seasons of losing and pretending to be contenders.  One thing I did learn this season however, is  never ever pay these veteran guys when you can draft / play youth who are hungrier and put forth much more effort then the Vets do. Let Mo go to SEA and join his buddy Mr. Lazy #2 Sheldumb, or go to NE where maybe BB can get some effort out of him.

Dead money is just because he was paid before. That amount comes off the cap whether he's here or not.

The only question, since the guaranteed portion of that asinine extension will hopefully be over (if he finishes the season healthy), is whether he's worth $17m for the 2018 season.

He is not.

Heading into the season it seemed most likely that the Jets asked Wilk to take a pay cut and remain with the team.  At this point it seems that is probably not even in the cards and he will simply be released.   

He was once a fan favorite which I think played into the LT deal.   The fans no longer care whether he's here which spells the end of his Jets tenure.   

22 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Dead money is just because he was paid before. That amount comes off the cap whether he's here or not.

The only question, since the guaranteed portion of that asinine extension will hopefully be over (if he finishes the season healthy), is whether he's worth $17m for the 2018 season.

He is not.

Actually its 20 million total/Base/Bonus/Workout

49 minutes ago, BCJet said:

He should not be back with the team, dead money sucks, but is not the end of the world and we have enough cap space to take the hit.

Mo has been a disciplinary problem for years now and is a terrible example for the younger players when it comes to accountability.  If he was racking up double digit sack seasons then it would be one thing, but he isnt so he is simply not worth the headache.

Dead money is overrated. If you cut Mo and have $8 million in additional cap space and $9 million of dead money, it is still $8 million MORE to sign other players. You can sign 2 solid mid range players for that which would be better than Mo. Only thing to do with Mo is cut him. I actually think we have too much cap I worry we will "win" free agency and saddle this team with underperforming  WAY overpaid JAGS and destroy the rebuild. Like 1 in 50 high priced FA ever pan out.

Whether we like it or not, the first move the Jets will likely attempt to make is a restructure.  My guess is they make him an offer to simply slash next year's salary, leaving the rest of the contract as is, with the idea of him being able to "earn" the rest of that contract back.  It will likely come down to whether Wilk thinks he can do better than that in FA.  Despite the Jets having plenty of money to find a replacement with, I'm imagining their motivation will be to simply avoid making the list of needs any longer than it is.

There's also an outside chance they try to see if they can trade him, but I'm sure no other team would even consider making that deal, short of maybe a very late throwaway pick if Mo agreed to a serious renegotiation with them as part of the deal, but I doubt that.

5 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Restructure keeps him here and I want him gone.

We don't even get 100% out of him as it is for 17.5 Million, what would his attitude be playing for less on a restructure? You guys are right, Mo gets cut outright or gets traded  (which I doubt but you never know, there's always that team that thinks they can straighten him out?,lol). We've been that team many times in the past,lol.

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

Mo Wilkerson is the antithesis of a leader. This is the 2nd year in a row he's been disciplined by Bowles, not a good thing regarding your HIGHEST PAID PLAYER making 17 million dollars. Could you imagine giving that money to Trumaine Johnson instead? How much better would the Jets be with a legitimate #1 CB? Mo Wilkerson couldn't hold Calais Campbells (12.5 sacks) jock strap. Campbells cap in 2017 (11.5 mill, 16.5 next year, Max 18 mill in 2020). 

Just curious what other Jet fans think we should do with him. His contract is literally absurd for 2018 for his limited production & attitude for a young team, $20 million! 9 million dead cap hit if we cut him. Just one more example of this Jets organization rewarding questionable players. There are plenty of azzholes in this league but all you ask of them when you pay them is to bring it on Sunday. Wilkerson was a mistake & before he was resigned I posted many threads stating my fear that his stats were built on a few good games & he disappeared way to much for my liking. Did you see Mack yesterday? Or Bennett last night? Campbell? You give a guy the type of contract we gave Mo, you better believe this is a self motivated guy who wants to be the best! Personally I think they should cut bait & use that 11 million + toward the best edge rusher or CB they can find in free agency. THAT would help everyone else out much more than having Mo around. You already have Williams getting doubled even WITH MO on the line. PLUS, it lets the young players know on this TEAM anyone is expendable if they don't sign on to the TEAM theme they are trying to project. This is your job & we expect you to show up for practice ON TIME, and give 100% for 60 mintutes each week. 

no doubt he's overpaid for his production over the past two seasons.  on the plus side he went running after smith yesterday on that long run and showed some good effort.  the physical talent is there.  it's all about how much attitude he wants to bring on each play.

I'd sooner put that entire $17m towards an earlier extension for Leo, instead of doing our usual thing of waiting until the current contract is expired and then pay UFA rates for players we drafted. 

Better to extend Leo (at I'm guessing it'd take a similar $17m that Mo got) than keep Leo at his current level and pay Mo $17m, followed by tagging Leo in 2018 through another extension stalemate when he'll be a year closer to UFA status. (Should he reach UFA status in 2019, with the expected cap increases even before the CBA expires, he'll surely be seeking $20m/year with $50m of it fully guaranteed).

Leo's other option is to risk injury while playing in 2018 for $3m and not reach UFA status until 2020 (when he can still get tagged anyway, with a potential lockout looming for 2021). 

27 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Actually its 20 million total/Base/Bonus/Workout

Um, no. "Actually" it's another $17m for the 2018 exactly like I stated. He does not receive his cap hit that; he receives what new money he receives.

The rest comes off whether he's here or not because he's already received that in prior bonus money.

So he is due to receive another $17m, and with the fluidity of the salary cap, that is the amount that is saved (i.e. usable for other players) if he's cut. 

He is not worth another $17m for 2018.

Ultimatum time, take an offer of at least half as much money to stay here a year or get cut.

I expect a cut in the end though. My only hesitation is in trying to find a replacement for him on the field. He isn't the man that nearly won a 2nd team all-pro years ago, but lets say they can't find a D-lineman worth a major investment on the market and Mac was able to retain him under a deal equal to his dead money if he were cut- wouldn't that be a better idea than replacing him with a joe of the block?

Just spit balling, once again, he's probably cut.

1 hour ago, prime21 said:

I don't think Bowles is the problem here.  Mo through injuries and desire is an epic fail.  Bowles has done right by sitting him out and disciplining other players recently.  

Bowles is the guy that allowed the problems last year with a slip on the wrist, bowels is he guy who laughed and said, everyone shows up late for work now and then.  Bowles has been taken advantage of by Mo, Shel rich, revis.

He stinks and should be fired.

Ya there's no way he's worth what we're paying him... But we would still need to find someone to replace him there... Even if he's just a replacement-level player now, or borderline average; that's still hard to replace..

Depending on the market, it might just make more sense to keep him and maybe hope someone makes an offer someday as opposed to cutting him.

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

Bowles is the guy that allowed the problems last year with a slip on the wrist, bowels is he guy who laughed and said, everyone shows up late for work now and then.  Bowles has been taken advantage of by Mo, Shel rich, revis.

He stinks and should be fired.

If he allowed it last year with a slap on the wrist then he has learned from that and has taken measures this year to discipline players.  Isn't that what a coach should do?  Learn from mistakes. He was a rookie coach and now he has taken steps this year correct some of the issues he experienced. 

3 hours ago, prime21 said:

If he allowed it last year with a slap on the wrist then he has learned from that and has taken measures this year to discipline players.  Isn't that what a coach should do?  Learn from mistakes. He was a rookie coach and now he has taken steps this year correct some of the issues he experienced. 

Except he wasnt a rookie coach last year.

Archived