McAdoo & Reese Fired

JetsFanatic

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

Giants get new GM, new coach and brand new top 2-3 picked QB....and the rich get richer....and here we are with Josh ******* McCown...

This has been an embarrassing disaster of a year for the Giants. Im not sure their fans are jumping for joy over a high draft pick. 

Just now, RevisIsland610 said:

This has been an embarrassing disaster of a year for the Giants. Im not sure their fans are jumping for joy over a high draft pick. 

Especially with that OL protecting him. BTW with a new GM coming in, they might not draft a QB. They might go a totally different direction. It;s all about who they hire.

9 minutes ago, KRL said:

The NYG have never been different from any other franchise.  That's been the case since LT was drinking &

drugging his way through the NFL.  They practice situational ethics just like any other team, only the media 

and some delusional fans think they operated with a different set of standards.  Do I need to remind you of

Josh Brown from last year??? 

I agree w/ them ethically, the notion of Giant class is the most ridiculous thing in sports BUT they have never allowed the fans to dictate hirings and firings and now they have like other bad franchises have.

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

I agree w/ them ethically, the notion of Giant class is the most ridiculous thing in sports BUT they have never allowed the fans to dictate hirings and firings and now they have like other bad franchises have.

Exactly. And people shouldn't deny this. The Fans reaction dictated this move

1 minute ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Smart move by Giants.  Eli is washed up and they made mcadoo be the fall guy.  Brilliant move by the organization.

Now next year they have a new gm, new coach and new qb.

And the same sh*tty OL

Also see if Eli or Davis Webb/Geno starts this week. That will cement the case of the fans reaction leading this

1 minute ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Smart move by Giants.  Eli is washed up and they made mcadoo be the fall guy.  Brilliant move by the organization.

Now next year they have a new gm, new coach and new qb.

And still the same roster problems and who knows who the GM and coach will be. It could be another tough year for them. 

Another point in favor of the fans reaction driving this move made by Kurt Warner on Twitter.

If the Giants had any doubts about McAdoo at all, they would not have let him make the decision to bench Eli in the first place. Why leave that to a guy that was a lame duck?

No what happened was that Mara pushed McAdoo and Reese to make the move to see the other QBs (a good move although they went with the wrong one) and was caught off guard by the fan reaction to the move and vitriol to McAdoo and Reese. KNowing that 3 of his last 4 games were at home, he had to save face somehow so he cowtowed to the fans by dumping McAdoo and Reese, thereby saving humiliation.

The Giants showing the Hets that the proper way to handle a coach losing his team is to fire him. Not to bring him back, but let him handpick his scapegoats to be fired and the new replacements. Like we did with Rex and now Bowles.

2 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

The Giants showing the Hets that the proper way to handle a coach losing his team is to fire him. Not to bring him back, but let him handpick his scapegoats to be fired and the new replacements. Like we did with Rex and now Bowles.

True but to be honest, Bowles losing the team did not nearly approach the public disaster and explosions that this did

4 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Bingo

Oh please. This means were likely going to fire them at the end of the season anyway. Benching Eli just accelerated it to throw some red meat to angry fans with some home games coming up, and reverse a month of bad press immediately instead of enduring another month before their inevitable termination.

Both the GM and HC don't go from being on secure, safe ground to being outright fired just because they benched a QB they're cutting after the season anyway, in anticipation of drafting his replacement a month thereafter. 

If it was all about the benching, then Reese doesn't get fired along with McAdoo. McAdoo just gave them an easy excuse to get a head start on both the GM and HC searches, where they can do it out in the open instead of keeping it hush-hush. On top of that, the current players are trying out for next year right now, since being neither a McAdoo pet nor Reese draft pick buys you any job security going forward. 

36 minutes ago, rangerous said:

was mcadoo even better than ray handley?  doubtful.  handley at least didn't have a qb to work with.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Povero Ray Handley!  Saddled with Jeff Hostetler and Phil Simms, fresh off of a Super Bowl win!  If only the front office had allowed him the opportunity to spend more than #1 overall in supplemental on a QB!  The year after they fired him Reeves went 11-5 with Simms and Hostetler went 10-5 for the Raiders and two rounds in the playoffs putting up 65 in two games.  If  Handley only had a QB!!

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Oh please. This means were likely going to fire them at the end of the season anyway. This just accelerated it to throw some red meat to angry fans with some home games coming up, and reverse a month of bad press immediately instead of enduring another month before their inevitable termination.

Exactly. The Jets are usually the organization that worries about that. The Giants did it this time

The benching itself was not the reason. the way it was handled and the fans reaction to the benching was the spark to accelerate the process.

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

You clearly didn't read my post, then.

They were firing both of them anyway. All this did was push it up by a month.

Smart move by the Maras actually because they can start interviewing head coach and GM candidates 

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You clearly didn't read my post, then.

They were firing both of them anyway. All this did was push it up by a month.

I read your post. I thought they would have been fired too.

But the fans reaction accelerated it up a month.  I agree with you. 

My point is that the Jets usually react to fan vitriol. Now the Giants are doing it

4 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Povero Ray Handley!  Saddled with Jeff Hostetler and Phil Simms, fresh off of a Super Bowl win!  If only the front office had allowed him the opportunity to spend more than #1 overall in supplemental on a QB!  The year after they fired him Reeves went 11-5 with Simms and Hostetler went 10-5 for the Raiders and two rounds in the playoffs putting up 65 in two games.  If  Handley only had a QB!!

my bad.  i thought he had dave brown.  but hostetler was no great shakes.  he was a tough guy but not a very good passer.

1 minute ago, Philc1 said:

Well that’s what a well run organization with 4 Super Bowls the past 30 years does while we reward ineptitude 

If you mean last year, that wasn't even close to the disaster that was the Giants this year. Not even close.

Plus Jerry Reese had been there a long time. It was time to change, and to avoid Idzik-Ryan, McAdoo was gone too

Just now, Beerfish said:

The thing is Reese has set up the Bills and the new guy coming in with a great situation.

Traded down and drafted a terrific rookie CB in TreDavious White and got an extra 1st round pick for next year.

I’m sure that GM and coach will look great and take credit for Josh Rosen throwing for 5,000 yards per season to OBJ and Engram

Idk why people think it's a dumpster fire? 

I think it's 1 step back & 2 steps forward. They now have the 2nd overall pick in a class filled with potential QB studs & if they bring in the right GM/Coach combo they could be set for another decade plus. 

From an org standpoint, I will be interested to see how these hirings go. Will they bring in the HC first & have him report directly to the owner & then go out & get their GM. Or will this be the traditional, GM hired first, GM has massive input on HC hiring. 

Just now, Philc1 said:

Smart move by the Maras actually because they can start interviewing head coach and GM candidates 

All of it. The timing was perfect for a bunch of reasons. I was in the middle of writing what you said above when I got interrupted by another reply.

- head start on interviewing GM and HC

- they get to do both out in the open without tiptoeing around and secretly meeting with candidates or "consultants"

- they waited until they lost the game with Geno rather than wait for a possible 20-point win the next game (let alone a turnaround where they win 3 more no matter who's out there at QB) to muddy the PR of the decision

- they get the fan approval now, instead of having to field another month of questions about whether or not they supported the benching (while the HC who did it is still the HC)

- players who still want to be there next year are in tryout mode right now; being a favorite of McAdoo's or a draft pick of Reese's doesn't buy you job security for 2018

It was all going to happen anyway, otherwise they would've just fired McAdoo alone (and Reese would have been the one to fire him). They didn't fire them because of the move so much as they made up the excuse of firing them both a few weeks earlier because of it. In January, Reese and McAdoo were going to be unemployed with or without the benching. 

Archived