Bowles: McCown Starter "Through End of Year"

southtown24th

2 hours ago, slats said:

It was reported back in September that two different teams inquired about trading for Petty but the Jets wouldn't do it. I think this offseason, the best case scenario would be getting something back for him. If we're expecting Mac and Bowles back, then I think we can safely assume that Hack will be back, too - probably as the inactive #3 again. 

Not surprised at all by this call from Bowles and, sadly, I won't be surprised if (when) the Jets resign McCown. These guys are completely risk averse. There will be no big trades for a top draft pick. They might make a big push for Cousins, but Cousins will likely have better options than the Jets - even if the Jets are offering the most money. 

I hope they have some sort of plan to improve the QB position, but I really don't think they do. 

I think that you are 100% correct.  

All I would add if Petty leaves this team and ends up a competent NFL starter somewhere else I will personally hunt Bowles out to kick him in the groin that is all.  

Just kidding; I think :) 

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

If Hackenberg or Petty were our QB, would we be looking at the Jets as 'set' at WR? Or would we probably think the guys are trash because they don't have somebody to get them the football? That means something and reasons like that are why McCown has quarterbacked this team this season.

I hated the decision at first but it is painfully obvious at this point that neither Hack or Petty is the answer. They don't need a chance, they just haven't earned one.

No problem with the 1st  statement. For the second , how do we, the media or the NYJ know if Petty or Hack can be the answer. With the new CBA these guys aren't getting tons of practice reps, they need a chance and with Bowles they have no shot at earning one. If they clearly feel that they're not the answer then like someone else said cut both of them in the offseason and end the charade that there is competition and just hand the franchise keys to a 39 year journeyman once again. 

1 hour ago, drsamuel84 said:

Look, I get that this decision is frustrating and makes no sense, I mean the Jets aren't making the payoffs this year so what's the real difference between a possible 6-7 win season other than draft position?  But in the grand scheme of things this really means nothing, this is the second offensive regime (Chan and now Morton) to come in and neither one has exactly had glowing things to say about these guys which tells us all we need to know.  So what if Petty steps in for 2 or 3 games and plays ok, is that really enough to warrant us not drafting or signing a QB next year?  Of course not, once McCown got past week 8 as the starter I pretty much knew it was over or these guys.  The coaching staff is thinking about the rest of the offense (WR's, O-Line, RB's) and developing them and pretty much moved on from the possibility of Hack or Petty being the guy.  And at this point, while a bit frustrating probably the right move.  Don't be mad at Bowles for this, be at Macc for putting Bowles in a position where his best option at QB is a 38 year old journeyman in McCown.

If I felt that Hack and Petty were truly being evaluated by the CS then I'd share your sentiments. I have no reason to believe that this is truly happening though. 

1 hour ago, MDL_JET said:

I can see it now. The Jets announce they've traded up to the 2nd pick overall, fans are excited for Darnold or Rosen. This is it. The time is finally here. 

Goodell announces the New York Jets select Josh Allen. Riots ensue. 

And it's sad because it's probably a very realistic possibility. 

Or better yet Minka Fitzpatrick 

folks we have seen this movie before and know how it ends-we bring in jaq qb because the other guys we drafted are so bad they cant get on the field even though we hear about this great promise they are showing-the washed up jaq has a few decent games and then we stick with him and extend him for another year -I suspect we will over pay Josh as well to  stay even though we are his only suitor-next year we get the full and complete jaq that Josh has been his entire career and he looks dreadful on the field-our "young " guys suck so we have no other option to play Josh again. 2019 we pass on a few stud qbs and select a safety round one and follow up round two with a corner-while all of this going on our gm will hope nobody notices each one of our "star" defensive" players has been relocated to other team for little or no value.

9 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Funny thing is the same complaints would be there about just handing Petty or Hackenberg the job. The only reason it would have looked less absurd is McCown’s prior history wouldn’t make anyone cry over his being unjustly benched. Been saying for months, though, the people who think Bowles is going to fall on his sword to get Christian Hackenberg live reps, and lose the team and his job in the process, have never been realistic.

This is what a coach does after a 5-win season: gets as many wins as he can to pad his record. At this point I don’t even see the laughter. Has there even been one leak to come out all year that unnamed sauces in the locker room would prefer Petty or Hackenberg start? Bowles hardly even played McCown in their 4 preseason games (4 attempts game 1 and 6 attempts in game 4).

I’d say he gave those 2 all the chances they deserved. 

The bold has always been the most telling thing for me.  For all the endless felating Morton gets around here, while Bowles is blamed for anything people don't like about the offense, there has not been a single whisper that Morton wants anyone but McCown as his quarterback this year.  The same can be said for his assistants, or any of the players on that side of the ball.  Quite the contrary actually, as he has been rather endlessly praised by all parties.

Also totally agree about the story the preseason tells.  While the narrative that Bowles will only ever start the older guys no matter what sounds great to fit an agenda, there is no question the team went out of its way to try to have someone else win them over.

10 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

No problem with the 1st  statement. For the second , how do we, the media or the NYJ know if Petty or Hack can be the answer. With the new CBA these guys aren't getting tons of practice reps, they need a chance and with Bowles they have no shot at earning one. If they clearly feel that they're not the answer then like someone else said cut both of them in the offseason and end the charade that there is competition and just hand the franchise keys to a 39 year journeyman once again. 

I honestly think they saw enough of Hack and Petty through last years training camp, practices, and this years training camp, preseason and regular practices to determine that they need to take a QB this offseason. I don't think that is crazy to come to that conclusion. If you were purely judging Petty or Hack on "In Season Reps" then yea not enough info but that isn't the case. Both are under contract next season, let them duke it out to be the backup or 3rd string QB depending on if McCown comes back.

3 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I honestly think they saw enough of Hack and Petty through last years training camp, practices, and this years training camp, preseason and regular practices to determine that they need to take a QB this offseason. I don't think that is crazy to come to that conclusion. If you were purely judging Petty or Hack on "In Season Reps" then yea not enough info but that isn't the case. Both are under contract next season, let them duke it out to be the backup or 3rd string QB depending on if McCown comes back.

Petty with the easy lay up. 

On another note, this may also be a bit of a blessing in disguise for the Jets.  We all know the history of this team.  If they opted to give a late-season look to either one of those kids, they'd probably suddenly look ok, but not actually good.  The Jets would then opt to pass on QB for yet another year, to give the kids a shot, before ultimately spending another year showing what we all pretty much knew, that they suck.  Simply conceding that they are both lost causes at this point is at least the proper incentive to all but ensure they'll be going hard after QBs this year.

Anyone who thinks that Bowles playing a veteran QB and being doggedly stubborn about continuing to start him and think it has ANY relation to the long term prospects of Hack or Petty are fooling themselves. It does not. Bowles is unwilling to deal with the growing pains of a young QB (despite defending the mistakes of his veteran QBs to the death) and is not interested in developing for the future.  It does not say anything about the prospects of Petty or Hack. Nothing. It just shows that Bowles is what he is. 

4 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Anyone who thinks that Bowles playing a veteran QB and being doggedly stubborn about continuing to start him and think it has ANY relation to the long term prospects of Hack or Petty are fooling themselves. It does not. Bowles is unwilling to deal with the growing pains of a young QB (despite defending the mistakes of his veteran QBs to the death) and is not interested in developing for the future.  It does not say anything about the prospects of Petty or Hack. Nothing. It just shows that Bowles is what he is. 

At some point sooner then later, Bowles will have a young QB forced on him, that he will not be able to stop him being played (1st rounder).

The only way this does not happen is if the Jet sign Kirk C. Even Woody and his Brother, know the Jets need a long term QB replacement and Macc will be under instruction to get one next year.

10 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

At some point sooner then later, Bowles will have a young QB forced on him, that he will not be able to stop him being played (1st rounder).

The only way this does not happen is if the Jet sign Kirk C. Even Woody and his Brother, know the Jets need a long term QB replacement and Macc will be under instruction to get one next year.

Well it should have happened this year and didnt, and Mac has no power over Bowles. The only way that Mac can control the situation is to not sign a veteran QB at all, but the Jets are maybe the most risk averse organization in the NFL so doing that is unlikely. They hedge all bets. Sadly, I just don't see it changing ever. That people are on board with what happened this season is mind boggling. 

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

"Well Josh is back and did a fine job for us last year so he goes into camp as the starter but this will be an open competition and if the other Josh, Josh Allen or Christian play the best they will be the starter.  They will all get equal reps."

"Minkah?  We will bring him along slowly but we love his upside."

That all sounds too real. Scary.

3 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Happy for the person, McCown has earned the right to finish the year  

In other news, the Jets may be setting another record, a healthy second round pick that has not played a snap in 28 (and counting) games, i guess he has earned the bench, not a bad gig for 1.1+ million a year

He earned the right to finish the year? 

Since when are Josh McCown’s interests more important than the team’s? 

37 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Well it should have happened this year and didnt, and Mac has no power over Bowles. The only way that Mac can control the situation is to not sign a veteran QB at all, but the Jets are maybe the most risk averse organization in the NFL so doing that is unlikely. They hedge all bets. Sadly, I just don't see it changing ever. That people are on board with what happened this season is mind boggling. 

In all likelihood, at least some are trolling..

hell, one guy is blatantly trolling.. IMO anyway..

42 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

double post..

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

Anyone who thinks that Bowles playing a veteran QB and being doggedly stubborn about continuing to start him and think it has ANY relation to the long term prospects of Hack or Petty are fooling themselves. It does not.

Oh?  I'd be willing to wager just about anything you're willing to take the other side of, against Hack and Petty's long term prospects.  What's interesting to you?

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

The bold has always been the most telling thing for me.  For all the endless felating Morton gets around here, while Bowles is blamed for anything people don't like about the offense, there has not been a single whisper that Morton wants anyone but McCown as his quarterback this year.  The same can be said for his assistants, or any of the players on that side of the ball.  Quite the contrary actually, as he has been rather endlessly praised by all parties.

I've said this ad-nauseam.  Has this team ever been short on "anonymous sources?"  Like, ever?  Where are they now, saying that Bowles is holding Petty back?

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

Also totally agree about the story the preseason tells.  While the narrative that Bowles will only ever start the older guys no matter what sounds great to fit an agenda, there is no question the team went out of its way to try to have someone else win them over.

Also there are plenty of younger guys starting. Sometimes you have to accept that simply being young (or old) isn't an attribute itself. I think if it was really even close then McCown wouldn't be starting. They play Anderson, Jenkins, the three 1st round picks, Shell, and others. They tried like crazy to have a reason to start Burris, Hackenberg, Petty, Devin Smith, Jalin Marshall, Mauldin, Simon, and more.

It's entirely possible that the players who are on the bench just aren't good.

If the GM and /or coach have determined that both Petty and Hackenberg are truly totally incompetent from playing at all, so be it at this point.  However, that better translate into the GM going balls out for a potential franchise QB via the draft of free agency in 2018.  Failing to address he long term answer for the most important position on the field for a 4th consecutive year is gross negligence and utter incompetence, and any owner who's actually paying attention shouldn't stand for it.  In fact, ownership should intervene and DEMAND that the QB position is addressed in 2018.  I won't hold my breath.

58 minutes ago, gEYno said:

I've said this ad-nauseam.  Has this team ever been short on "anonymous sources?"  Like, ever?  Where are they now, saying that Bowles is holding Petty back?

This has seriously been the most unified front I can ever recall seeing from the Jets in regard to any "questionable" decision (from the fans perspective).

59 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Also there are plenty of younger guys starting. Sometimes you have to accept that simply being young (or old) isn't an attribute itself. I think if it was really even close then McCown wouldn't be starting. They play Anderson, Jenkins, the three 1st round picks, Shell, and others. They tried like crazy to have a reason to start Burris, Hackenberg, Petty, Devin Smith, Jalin Marshall, Mauldin, Simon, and more.

It's entirely possible that the players who are on the bench just aren't good.

Completely agree.  For all of the claims of a refusal to start young players, there are never any examples given of instances where younger players of superior, or even comparable, talent have been held behind veterans.  The only real instance I could see of that for this team might be Forte, but Powell is far from a young player himself, and has unfortunately shown in recent years that he is not built to take the beating of a full-time back, and they're still playing all 3 guys.

Meanwhile, on the other hand you have moves such as Kerley's signing and playing time, that was often previously used as another example of this supposed trend, and yet in his absence, Stewart and Hansen combined have not been able to match his contributions.  I have no problem excusing that for a couple of mid-round rookies, but it also supports the decisions made.

20 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

McCown should start, he is playing great. How do you bench him, as he is clearly the best QB on the roster, then tell the other players to go out there and bust their ass? 

I agree. This team is capable of winning the final 3 out of 4 games and miraculously making the playoffs. McCown is not only the best QB on the roster but is having a career year (I think?)...anyway, he's having a good year, lets just put it that way. The Jets defense is good enough. If their O-line holds up and offense makes some plays, there is no reason to think they can't win some games down the stretch.

It's too late to hope for a top pick anyway. It makes no sense to tank at this point in the season- not that NFL teams ever actually consider 'tanking'.   

The Jets are still in the playoff hunt McCown should play.  When they are out of the playoff hunt, the Jets SHOULD start one of Petty or Hack, if for no other reason than to establish trade value, save McCown's $125K bonus and give one of them some work.

They will not do that because Macc and Bowles work together, and Bowles will not want to embarrass Macc.  

How much do you want to bet that McCown wants at least $12m to play next year?

1 hour ago, gEYno said:

Oh?  I'd be willing to wager just about anything you're willing to take the other side of, against Hack and Petty's long term prospects.  What's interesting to you?

Not sure what you saying. Pretty should have started trying m week2 and if he failed start Hack.. maybe one of them show he is the guy. Maybe both fail spectacularly. Either result is better for the long term prospects of the Jets franchise. Not trying to tank on any level but seeing what you have at QB

2 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Not sure what you saying. Pretty should have started trying m week2 and if he failed start Hack.. maybe one of them show he is the guy. Maybe both fail spectacularly. Either result is better for the long term prospects of the Jets franchise. Not trying to tank on any level but seeing what you have at QB

Why are the Giants starting Eli this week?

15 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

You are suggesting that Petty/Hack not playing is exclusively due to Bowles, and not reflective of their talents, and calling anyone foolish who believes otherwise.  I am one of those fools.  So foolish, in fact, that I'd be willing to wager just about anything you wanted, against the success of these two players in the future.

20 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

This failed idea that some people have--not all people, but some people... this idea of a two QB system is, I think, silly... it's silly. There has always been, and will always be, only one owner of the starting QB position of the New York Jets, and that is, unequivocally, Josh McCown. And, it's sad, you know, it's very sad, that it took this long for someone to come along--someone with a tremendous looking penis, I might add--for someone to come along and say this, and I think this announcement shows tremendous courage, and we can all expect very great things to follow.

audience.gif

1 hour ago, gEYno said:

You are suggesting that Petty/Hack not playing is exclusively due to Bowles, and not reflective of their talents, and calling anyone foolish who believes otherwise.  I am one of those fools.  So foolish, in fact, that I'd be willing to wager just about anything you wanted, against the success of these two players in the future.

Yes I am saying that. Whether or not they become franchise guys is irrelevant. They needed to be given the opportunity.

48 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Yes I am saying that. Whether or not they become franchise guys is irrelevant. They needed to be given the opportunity.

This is a line of logic you can say about literally anyone then, if the results are irrelevant.  The guy who last bagged your groceries also needs to be given an opportunity to see if he can be a franchise guy.  Unless, of course, the fact that a person exists isn't enough reason for them to be given a shot?

Archived