Jump to content

Bowles: McCown Starter "Through End of Year"


southtown24th
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Maccagnan, thus far, has failed us at the QB position.

That’s the beginning and end of this story in my opinion.

Neither Bowles nor McCown have done anything wrong as it pertains to this. 

Devin Smith

Lorenzo Mauldin

Bryce Petty

My favorite, Jarvis Harrison

Deon "Disappeared" Simon

Charone Peake

Hack

My other favorite, ArDarious Stewart

Hansen

Jordan Leggett

These are just the Dud draft picks.   If he (or Heimerdinger) did not get lucky with UDFAs and 1 year rental waiver pickups, this team would be really bad.  

He is not a good drafter.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, varjet said:

Devin Smith

Lorenzo Mauldin

Bryce Petty

My favorite, Jarvis Harrison

Deon "Disappeared" Simon

Charone Peake

Hack

My other favorite, ArDarious Stewart

Hansen

Jordan Leggett

These are just the Dud draft picks.   If he (or Heimerdinger) did not get lucky with UDFAs and 1 year rental waiver pickups, this team would be really bad.  

He is not a good drafter.

 

Yeah Mcc knew Smith, Leggett would get injured but still said F it I’m still drafting them. 7th round picks not yet elected to the HOF. And once again rookies, 22-23 yr olds being called busts.  Zzzzzz

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Saul Goodman said:

Maccagnan, thus far, has failed us at the QB position.

That’s the beginning and end of this story in my opinion.

Neither Bowles nor McCown have done anything wrong as it pertains to this. 

McCown is what he is and Bowles is doing his job playing the best player

  • Thumb Down 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Philc1 said:

McCown is what he is and Bowles is doing his job playing the best player

Funny thing is the same complaints would be there about just handing Petty or Hackenberg the job. The only reason it would have looked less absurd is McCown’s prior history wouldn’t make anyone cry over his being unjustly benched. Been saying for months, though, the people who think Bowles is going to fall on his sword to get Christian Hackenberg live reps, and lose the team and his job in the process, have never been realistic.

This is what a coach does after a 5-win season: gets as many wins as he can to pad his record. At this point I don’t even see the laughter. Has there even been one leak to come out all year that unnamed sauces in the locker room would prefer Petty or Hackenberg start? Bowles hardly even played McCown in their 4 preseason games (4 attempts game 1 and 6 attempts in game 4).

I’d say he gave those 2 all the chances they deserved. 

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You can't fault Bowles for this. He'd lose the team if he benched McCown. The guy is playing solid football and the players love him. 

If you're going to be pissed at anyone, be pissed at Mac. His two QB draft picks stink, and he ignored the position in the draft this year over a couple of safeties.

Bowles is doing the best he can with what he was given. He overhauled the coaching staff and turned a crappy roster into a competitive football team.

  • Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, shuler82 said:

the proper answer is 'As long as we're mathematically alive for the post season, McCown is our QB. If there comes a time where we're out of the race, we'll step back and evaluate the roster'

But Bowles being Bowles. He really wants that 7th win of the season.  And if he tells you a QB aint good, he must not be good.  

i think morton and bates also said the same but in a more pc fashion.  as a fan i want to see either petty or hack in the game. but bowles is the coach and he wants to win.  and he's confident that mccown brings him the best chance.  i think mccown's stats are deceptively good.  they look good from a qbr and all the other stat standpoints but he has also made some real errors like taking too many sacks and being predictable at times.  plus he really doesn't have the arm strength.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I hope he's just saying this and either one of them will get at least 2 starts. I don't agree with the sentiment that they both suck, we need to put them in the game to find that out. 

Bowles has to understand we need to see the younger guys in game. McCown has a good job here and I believe he will be back next year as the presumptive starting QB. If any other guy steps up then good

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When they drafted Hack they said he would require 2 years on the bench.  Maybe you expect 1 year on the bench AT MOST and then start to see something in year 2.  But it looks like they're going to go the full 2 years without him getting in a game (and only being on the active roster a couple of times). 

I'm actually very interested to see what Macc does with Hack this offseason.  Hard to imagine he brings Hack back but let's see.  If he comes back then I'm going to assume Macc expects something from him.  I would like to believe that he's not being kept around just for appearances (to avoid saying "I cut my 2nd round QB without him getting into a game in 2 years"). 

This McCown decision though indicates that the Jets don't believe in Petty or Hack in the slightest.  It would be very interesting if McCown plays badly the next 2 games and we drop to 5-9 with 2 very tough games at the end.  Will McCown stay in there?  Also, if McCown gets injured (which is certainly his history), I wonder who the Jets turn to.  I would assume Hack would at least get on the active roster as a backup but Petty would get all the playing time.

  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

If this is the case Hack and Petty should both be cut the second the season ends. I have more use for a Hulu hoop than they have for them.

It was reported back in September that two different teams inquired about trading for Petty but the Jets wouldn't do it. I think this offseason, the best case scenario would be getting something back for him. If we're expecting Mac and Bowles back, then I think we can safely assume that Hack will be back, too - probably as the inactive #3 again. 

Not surprised at all by this call from Bowles and, sadly, I won't be surprised if (when) the Jets resign McCown. These guys are completely risk averse. There will be no big trades for a top draft pick. They might make a big push for Cousins, but Cousins will likely have better options than the Jets - even if the Jets are offering the most money. 

I hope they have some sort of plan to improve the QB position, but I really don't think they do. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Here is a Secret then, don’t tell anybody ok.....

THEN CUT THEM AND GET QUALITY PLAYERS WHO CAN TRULY COMPETE FOR THE STARTING GIG!!!!

My Goodness...

It's about having an elite, franchise QB that's it. And a great Hc and gm 

 

nothing else really matters

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Irrelevant. Those 2 clowns would have assured we get Rosen or Darnold.

Who’s to say they aren’t damn clowns!! Smh. They’ve looked extremely CLOWNISH this season. People kill me with these prognosis as if there have never been busts. The percentages of BUSTS far outweigh the Peyton Manning’s and Tom Brady’s. I’m inclined to believe those who are believing for these guys haven’t truly watched them. Me personally, I like resumes and body of work. The kid in Oklahoma is head and shoulders above.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As someone who actually watched what was said the reactions here are unsurprisingly silly.

The headline makes it seem like he volunteered this statement when all that happened was a reporter said "are you saying McCown will start the rest of the season" to which Bowles replied "that's what I'm saying".

as if any other answer would have been acceptable...  still think if/when they're mathematically eliminated we'll hopefully see Hack for a game or 2. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Look, I get that this decision is frustrating and makes no sense, I mean the Jets aren't making the payoffs this year so what's the real difference between a possible 6-7 win season other than draft position?  But in the grand scheme of things this really means nothing, this is the second offensive regime (Chan and now Morton) to come in and neither one has exactly had glowing things to say about these guys which tells us all we need to know.  So what if Petty steps in for 2 or 3 games and plays ok, is that really enough to warrant us not drafting or signing a QB next year?  Of course not, once McCown got past week 8 as the starter I pretty much knew it was over or these guys.  The coaching staff is thinking about the rest of the offense (WR's, O-Line, RB's) and developing them and pretty much moved on from the possibility of Hack or Petty being the guy.  And at this point, while a bit frustrating probably the right move.  Don't be mad at Bowles for this, be at Macc for putting Bowles in a position where his best option at QB is a 38 year old journeyman in McCown.

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Pac said:

As someone who actually watched what was said the reactions here are unsurprisingly silly.

The headline makes it seem like he volunteered this statement when all that happened was a reporter said "are you saying McCown will start the rest of the season" to which Bowles replied "that's what I'm saying".

as if any other answer would have been acceptable...  still think if/when they're mathematically eliminated we'll hopefully see Hack for a game or 2. 

I think you could be right, he really didn't have anything else to say. I do think you are wrong though, I believe Bowles said "I've seen all I need to from the young QBs" earlier in the season. This just further hammers home the point that neither young guy is seen as the answer so what would be the point in playing them?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Pac said:

As someone who actually watched what was said the reactions here are unsurprisingly silly.

The headline makes it seem like he volunteered this statement when all that happened was a reporter said "are you saying McCown will start the rest of the season" to which Bowles replied "that's what I'm saying".

as if any other answer would have been acceptable...  still think if/when they're mathematically eliminated we'll hopefully see Hack for a game or 2. 

I'm ok not seeing hack.  I'm really enjoying watching the jets have a real offense.  They are actually using the young talent and they're producing.  I think in training camp mccags and bowles realized that they're going to ride mccown as long as they can, hope not to embarrass themselves, try to survive the purge and then try to really fix the qb position this offseason.  I don't think that plan has changed.  

Even if, say, hackenberg played really, really well in 5 games this year, the jets would probably still want to bring back a guy like mccown just in case.  So bringing back mccown next year was probably always going to be a likelihood.  The difference is, they can't keep drafting defensive players in the first and third rounds.  Mccags can't be that oblivious to think he can emerge from another draft with a scrub qb prospect and say he's going to develop him and fans and media will get off his back.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I'm ok not seeing hack.  I'm really enjoying watching the jets have a real offense.  They are actually using the young talent and they're producing.  I think in training camp mccags and bowles realized that they're going to ride mccown as long as they can, hope not to embarrass themselves, try to survive the purge and then try to really fix the qb position this offseason.  I don't think that plan has changed.  

Even if, say, hackenberg played really, really well in 5 games this year, the jets would probably still want to bring back a guy like mccown just in case.  So bringing back mccown next year was probably always going to be a likelihood.  The difference is, they can't keep drafting defensive players in the first and third rounds.  Mccags can't be that oblivious to think he can emerge from another draft with a scrub qb prospect and say he's going to develop him and fans and media will get off his back.  

I think the Jets are going to be more aggressive in getting a QB than they have in years.  I know people cry about Carmello Watson but I don't think that was as egregious an error as the hindsight guys make it out to be.  

Playing Hack this year is just to get his feet wet.  He'll be on the team next year and Petty won't.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can see it now. The Jets announce they've traded up to the 2nd pick overall, fans are excited for Darnold or Rosen. This is it. The time is finally here. 

Goodell announces the New York Jets select Josh Allen. Riots ensue. 

And it's sad because it's probably a very realistic possibility. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, slats said:

It was reported back in September that two different teams inquired about trading for Petty but the Jets wouldn't do it. I think this offseason, the best case scenario would be getting something back for him. If we're expecting Mac and Bowles back, then I think we can safely assume that Hack will be back, too - probably as the inactive #3 again. 

Not surprised at all by this call from Bowles and, sadly, I won't be surprised if (when) the Jets resign McCown. These guys are completely risk averse. There will be no big trades for a top draft pick. They might make a big push for Cousins, but Cousins will likely have better options than the Jets - even if the Jets are offering the most money. 

I hope they have some sort of plan to improve the QB position, but I really don't think they do. 

Thing is McCown having a generally solid season has indirectly improved their trade value. If he was ultra-sucky McCown, and they were still getting benched, then it might say something more. But handed a crappy, young team; with McCown playing relatively well (even with the handful of late-game meltdown plays); that’s excuse enough for McCown to play the full year.

Petty’s preseason numbers weren’t that bad, and if anything he has another year of McCown-mentoring under his belt.

Hackenberg...well there’s just no way to candy-coat it. Even with the ultimate facepalm that’s been Hackenberg’s NFL career I could see maybe O’Brien having interest in him, for obvious reasons, and maybe convince his GM to throw their 6th rounder back to us at the most. Based on what we’ve seen, I don’t see how we turn that down if offered, other than to keep up the facade that he wasn’t really as bad a pick as everyone knows he is by having him make the final cutdown.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Pac said:

I think the Jets are going to be more aggressive in getting a QB than they have in years.  I know people cry about Carmello Watson but I don't think that was as egregious an error as the hindsight guys make it out to be.  

Playing Hack this year is just to get his feet wet.  He'll be on the team next year and Petty won't.   

I'd like to think mccags will be aggressive, finally.  But i disagree about hack being here and petty not.  I think petty has a much clearer path to a defined role in the nfl than hack.  I can see them drafting a qb, keeping mccown for another year, and letting petty and hack battle it out for the #3 spot in camp.  

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

"Well Josh is back and did a fine job for us last year so he goes into camp as the starter but this will be an open competition and if the other Josh, Josh Allen or Christian play the best they will be the starter.  They will all get equal reps."

"Minkah?  We will bring him along slowly but we love his upside."

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...