Rookie WR Chad Hansen Seizing the Moment

Gas2No99

Rookie WR Chad Hansen Seizing the Moment

hansen-seize-top-E_5D4_3674.jpg

Jets rookie wide receiver Chad Hansen is making the most of his opportunities.

by

Ethan Greenberg

Sunday against the Chiefs, Hansen registered two catches for 25 yards, both of which resulted in third-down conversions. Each of the rookie’s receptions eventually led to points, including quarterback Josh McCown’s score to give the Jets a 38-31 lead.  

“Chad Hansen made some big third downs for us,” wide receiver Jermaine Kearse said after the game. “He came up huge. He’s been playing really well for us and we just have to continue to build off that.” 

For the majority of the early part of the season, Hansen remained in the shadows of the receiving corps as Robby Anderson, Kearse and Jeremy Kerley were all playing at a high level. Since Kerley’s suspension began, Hansen has received a significant spike in playing time.

In the first nine weeks of the season, the Cal product played in 13.4% of the team’s offensive snaps and didn’t receive a single target. In Weeks 10-13, Hansen has lined up in 53.9% of the plays and has registered five receptions for 58 yards. Of his five catches, four have resulted in first downs and three converted on third down.

“It’s good for him,” McCown said this week. “Chad’s a hard worker and comes out every day. When you have different guys that are getting a lot of reps, Chad steps in and when Robby needs to take a break, Chad can step in and play his spot, he can play the slot and he can play the back side. He’s been an asset for us and he gets in there and it’s great for him. It’s fun to get to see him get rewarded and have an opportunity to make plays in the game and catch some balls. He made some big first downs for us. I think it’ll do nothing but good things for his confidence.”

The 6’2”, 202-pounder patiently awaited his chance as he took extra reps after practice on the JUGS machine daily. Now that he’s a part of the rotation, he proved to himself that he belongs on the field on Sundays.

Just confidence in knowing that I’m good enough to be out there and play with the best of them,” Hansen said of the biggest difference for him since he was drafted. “I think that I’ve proved myself to this team that I’m good enough. I just want to make sure that they know no moment is too big for me and I think that’s something that I’ve proved so far. I’ve been going out there and doing my best against the players that I’ve lined up against.

Head coach Todd Bowles said Hansen has indeed proven no moment is too big for him and as he gets more experience, he’ll improve and help the team more.

It can accelerate the trust, not the development,” Bowles said regarding Hansen’s third-down conversions against the Chiefs. “He’s still going to have to see some things, but he’s out there playing hard and he’s playing well.”

As Hansen’s rookie year is nearing a close with Denver ahead and three games left after that, he wants to build on the foundation he’s laid.

“I want to be able to make more plays,” he said. “I want to take advantage of the opportunities the team gives me and Josh gives me. I just want to be ready for when that happens.”

www.ganggreennation.com had a good write up on Hansen with some GIF imbedded.

Both his catches against the chiefs were him finding a soft spot in the zone and I really think that although he ran a "limited route tree" at Cal, he seems to have a feel for the position.  He also played almost exclusively on the outside in college but we have been using him in the slot, which could be a big mismatch with his height at 6'2.

IMO Robby Anderson has the ability to be a legitimate #1 WR in the league, and I hope he continues to work with chad johnson in the offseason on his route running, because combined with Kearse (27 years old), Hansen, and Enunwa we have a very good group for 2018, especially using Enunwa as more of an H-Back.

15 minutes ago, BCJet said:

www.ganggreennation.com had a good write up on Hansen with some GIF imbedded.

Both his catches against the chiefs were him finding a soft spot in the zone and I really think that although he ran a "limited route tree" at Cal, he seems to have a feel for the position.  He also played almost exclusively on the outside in college but we have been using him in the slot, which could be a big mismatch with his height at 6'2.

IMO Robby Anderson has the ability to be a legitimate #1 WR in the league, and I hope he continues to work with chad johnson in the offseason on his route running, because combined with Kearse (27 years old), Hansen, and Enunwa we have a very good group for 2018, especially using Enunwa as more of an H-Back.

Still can't believe how many couldn't see last season just how high Robby's ceiling really is.

He would have had 7 or 8 TDs last year as an UDFA if the QBs threw an accurate deep ball.   The cb's he faced last year were terrified of his speed.  There were times he created 4 or 5 yards of separation on a simple curl and dig routes because they gave him so much cushion.  If he continues to refine his craft, the subtle technical things, he will be one of the best. 

When I watch Robby, I see a hell of a lot of AJ Green in his game. Similar lanky build, AJG is a little thicker but not much.  They both separate effortlessly.   Can beat coverage deep even when the defense knows it is coming.   Abilities to make the spectacular catch.  Occasional focus drops.

8 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Still can't believe how many couldn't see last season just how high Robby's ceiling really is.

He would have had 7 or 8 TDs last year as an UDFA if the QBs threw an accurate deep ball.   The cb's he faced last year were terrified of his speed.  There were times he created 4 or 5 yards of separation on a simple curl and dig routes because they gave him so much cushion.  If he continues to refine his craft, the subtle technical things, he will be one of the best. 

When I watch Robby, I see a hell of a lot of AJ Green in his game. Similar lanky build, AJG is a little thicker but not much.  They both separate effortlessly.   Can beat coverage deep even when the defense knows it is coming.   Abilities to make the spectacular catch.  Occasional focus drops.

I have always been extolling Andersons ceiling comparing him to Fred Bilitnikoff which earned me a cavalcade of criticism but I still stand by that comparison. 

Anderson is proving to be a hands catcher like Fred was, he's deceptively quick, and has been really showing that lately. Now that he's got CBs scared of his speed, he's starting to use that to create back shoulder throws & quick inside cuts breaking off deep routes & getting wide open. If Hansen comes on that would be awesome. Like you said, if Enunwa comes back 100% Jets will have a few WRs that can play inside or out, you could have Enunwa & ASJ on the field at the same time burning LBs! 

Disappointed that Stewart seems to be odd man out (special teams guy?), that really proves that Eiflein should DEFINITELY been the pick @ 3. Would have been the best draft in quite some time. I give Macc a B, could have been an A if he got a starting Center for 12 years in Eiflein.

6 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I have always been extolling Andersons ceiling comparing him to Fred Bilitnikoff which earned me a cavalcade of criticism but I still stand by that comparison. 

Anderson is proving to be a hands catcher like Fred was, he's deceptively quick, and has been really showing that lately. Now that he's got CBs scared of his speed, he's starting to use that to create back shoulder throws & quick inside cuts breaking off deep routes & getting wide open. If Hansen comes on that would be awesome. Like you said, if Enunwa comes back 100% Jets will have a few WRs that can play inside or out, you could have Enunwa & ASJ on the field at the same time burning LBs! 

Disappointed that Stewart seems to be odd man out (special teams guy?), that really proves that Eiflein should DEFINITELY been the pick @ 3. Would have been the best draft in quite some time. I give Macc a B, could have been an A if he got a starting Center for 12 years in Eiflein.

I too was criticized for overrating Robby's game, but when you run 4.2 and are 6'2 you can do things on the field that other guys simply cant.

What I thought was great about his performance sunday is that the chiefs took away the deep stuff, so took what the defense was giving, and "grinded out" a very good receiving day of 8-107.

He has improved his hands and route running significantly this year and the endzone catch vs carolina showed immense hand strength.

Overall a true game breaking player who I hopes keeps putting in the work

I'm at the point where I think Robby is our future #1 WR for the next several years. Robby and Enunwa is a dangerous young receiving duo. On offense, outside of QB, we should address RB and Center as priorities. Powell is 30 and McGuire is a complimentary type back.

37 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

30 minutes ago, JETSfan4life_1 said:

When I watch Robby, I see a hell of a lot of AJ Green in his game " I disagree, I see more Marvin Harrison type player.  The small frame, good ball, eye, hand coordination, and great separation from DB's

21 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Maynard

9 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

He's a nice complement to Anderson and enunwa, assuming he returns.  They seem to use Stewart more as a gimmick, whereas they are using Hansen as a real wr.  

I expected to see more out of Stewart. Its been disappointing to say the least.

I don’t know if its a result of Anderson and Kearse playing so well, but even Kerley before his suspension was doing well and Stewart was barely seeing the field.

Hopefully Stewart can become more productive, but Hansen is looking pretty good. Expecting a big jump in Year 2.

Just now, Adoni Beast said:

I don’t know if its a result of Anderson and Kearse playing so well, but even Kerley before his suspension was doing well and Stewart was barely seeing the field.

Hopefully Stewart can become more productive, but Hansen is looking pretty good. Expecting a big jump in Year 2.

The way the bowles regime uses young offensive players is often frustrating, since defensive players seem to play right away while offensive players always have to earn it.  I'd be happy if Hansen becomes a good #3 wr and Stewart never does anything, I'll take one of out two with enunwa hopefully returning.  The offensive skill positions are surprising this season, with all the key contributors young, even kearse has a few good years left.  Now all we need is mayfield...

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

He's a nice complement to Anderson and enunwa, assuming he returns.  They seem to use Stewart more as a gimmick, whereas they are using Hansen as a real wr.  

I think they have been using Hansen in the slot and not using Stewart in the slot.  FWIW, I haven't been particularly impressed with Hansen per the "eye test" but that is primarily because he doesn't seem particularly fast or quick.  That is probably because he is actually pretty big for a slot guy and I am hanging on the old idea that slots are that small quick guy that needs room to get free like Taylor Gabriel. 

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think they have been using Hansen in the slot and not using Stewart in the slot.  FWIW, I haven't been particularly impressed with Hansen per the "eye test" but that is primarily because he doesn't seem particularly fast or quick.  That is probably because he is actually pretty big for a slot guy and I am hanging on the old idea that slots are that small quick guy that needs room to get free like Taylor Gabriel. 

Have you watched Cooper Kupp? I have him in fantasy & for that reason have been paying attention to him. Hansen is VERY similar, I haven't looked at their combine numbers but I would imagine they are very similar. Unlike the others here, I love how they have brought these young guys along. WR is not an easy position to learn & it takes some time to learn routes, the playbook, and getting on the same page with your QB. So far, so good with Hansen.

EDITED: Cooper Kupp- 6-2"- 205lbs- 4.62 40/ Chad Hansen- 6-2"- 202lbs- 4.53 40

Can't get much closer than that in just shear numbers. Kupp (3rd round), Hansen (4th round) Maccs draft is looking pretty, pretty, good. Find that damn QB Macc!

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Maynard

Maynard was maybe 6', maybe 180. Fred was 6-2"- 190/exactly like Anderson. But your right, Anderson has those hands that just snatch the ball, very similar to them both. It's crazy if you look back at some of the films on these guys, they all could reach up without breaking stride & without extending their arms straight because they could run under the ball & catch with their arms from a flexed position, meaning at the last second they seem to get another 7 to 8" of length.

6 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

Stewart had two plays against KC where he was one-on-one against a defender in the open field, and both times he was easily wrapped and tackled. He really did not display any moves. 

3 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Stewart had two plays last week where he was one-on-one against a defender in the open field, and both times he was easily wrapped and tackled. He really did not display any moves. 

So surprised by that because coming out of Alabama he was known for yac & breaking tackles. He might be thinking too much, that's what happens if young guys don't play loose, they play too robotic. I'm not giving up on him yet. 

10 hours ago, RoadFan said:

to me robbie showed enough speed and hands to know he had some good talent. this season he's showing an ability to beat corners. 

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

So surprised by that because coming out of Alabama he was known for yac & breaking tackles. He might be thinking too much, that's what happens if young guys don't play loose, they play too robotic. I'm not giving up on him yet. 

or he just sucks. He was literally on no one's radar in the 3rd round.

29 minutes ago, rangerous said:

wouldn't go that far.  it's just that it's harder to break tackles in the nfl unless you're being tackled by revis (or pryor).

and no need if it's Skrine because a yellow hanky is there on the ground next to you

12 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

This is exactly why playing going nowhere veterans at ANY position (in this case, Kerley over Hansen) over a rookie or up and coming young player is a ridiculously stupid strategy during a rebuilding season.

Cutting Harris and getting Davis actually proved that as well. Bank on your young potential when your vets are failing you. Really that simple. Could be a great thing or could be looking for another starter even after you give your youngins the start..doesn’t matter..as long as you are at least opening the gate to opportunity for these kids..that’s all you can do. Either they show you the rest or you wind up still looking. Either way it’s a good thing because at least you KNOW. That’s why everyone is so upset with the QB position. I completely understand. But I know I personally don’t give a sh*t who starts under center anymore with only four games left.

15 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

He's a nice complement to Anderson and enunwa, assuming he returns.  They seem to use Stewart more as a gimmick, whereas they are using Hansen as a real wr.  

Thats what happens to guys that dont demonstrate a command of the playbook.....

Do you suffer from depression? Everything you say on this site is negative. Mr. Bummer.

That’s a fair question. I️ think about how negative I️ am on here often, and honest to god I️ do set out to be more positive. Hate feeling like I’m always the jerk. ...I️ just keep gravitating towards stuff I️ disagree with.

Things I️ like. I️ do really like what I’ve seen from our OC and a few pieces on offense, and I️ like the pep the defense plays with, regardless of how mismanaged they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

52 minutes ago, Paradis said:

That’s a fair question. I️ think about how negative I️ am on here often, and honest to god I️ do set out to be more positive. Hate feeling like I’m always the jerk. ...I️ just keep gravitating towards stuff I️ disagree with.

Things I️ like. I️ do really like what I’ve seen from our OC and a few pieces on offense, and I️ like the pep the defense plays with, regardless of how mismanaged they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool. I just thought you might suffer from SAD. They do have those bright lights you stare at in the morning. I have to admit it's pretty gloomy in the Northeast in the winter getting dark at 3:45. I'm not a fan of Bowles either but I can't ignore the positives I'm seeing. Just watching a team playing hard for 60 minutes is a revelation in this new selfish NFL.

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

Cool. I just thought you might suffer from SAD. They do have those bright lights you stare at in the morning. I have to admit it's pretty gloomy in the Northeast in the winter getting dark at 3:45. I'm not a fan of Bowles either but I can't ignore the positives I'm seeing. Just watching a team playing hard for 60 minutes is a revelation in this new selfish NFL.

You're not wrong, I'm up in the pacific northwest, total grey out for 3 months, plus short days. 

4 hours ago, Jetster said:

Do you suffer from depression? Everything you say on this site is negative. Mr. Bummer.

thinking about this even more -- I think my biggest problem (and has been for years) is that I can't get over the big picture problems, in order to get to the stuff that's worth praise. It's like bastardized version of Maslow's Hierarchy of needs. We've been suffering from mismanaged offseasons, bad coaching, and hellish QB play... i just can't get over that stuff. 

:(

Archived