Eli or josh McCown next yr ?

Jetsplayer21

Now that the giants have the #2, assuming they stick around there. It’s highly unlikely giants being him back. Darnold or Rosen most likely would be the better option than Eli next yr at the fraction of the cost. 

McCown has had a better yr than Eli no question. Eli has done a lot in his career, but Father Time caught up with him a lot quicker than it has to McCown. Not that Eli could ever scramble. No question McCown is the better qb for 2 million vs Eli’s current 22 million salary. When the giants cut him, he will be a FA and probably get him for 10- 12 mil. Would you take Eli or McCown in that scenario ? It’s likely we won’t be drafting a qb in 1st round, especially one who is going to be ready out of the gate. 

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can definitely see a scenario where if the Jags faulter down the stretch that Coughlin goes after him to bring stability to the QB position in Jacksonville & they draft a QB next year.

Coughling knows what a Super Bowl QB looks like & it damn sure is not Blake Bortles! How the hell did the Jaguars lose to the Arizona Cardinals? Really? 

22 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I can definitely see a scenario where if the Jags faulter down the stretch that Coughlin goes after him to bring stability to the QB position in Jacksonville & they draft a QB next year.

Coughling knows what a Super Bowl QB looks like & it damn sure is not Blake Bortles! How the hell did the Jaguars lose to the Arizona Cardinals? Really? 

Ha how did the giants lose to 9ers before jimmy G came in lol. Cardinals are 5-7 just like us, and we almost ( should have ) beat the jags.

I can see him hooking back up with Coughlin Who always had a soft spot for Eli. Which is why they may not let him make that decision. You can’t make a smart football remeniscing about remember when. Eli is not the same qb, he likely will decline more next yr. been on a steady decline past few yrs

1 minute ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Ha how did the giants lose to 9ers before jimmy V came in lol. Cardinals are 5-7 just like us, and we almost ( should have ) beat the jags.

I can see him hooking back up with Coughlin Who always had a soft spot for Eli. Which is why they may not let him make that decision. You can’t make a smart football remeniscing about remember when. Eli is not the same qb, he likely will decline more next yr. been on a steady decline past few yrs

we did beat the Jags.

Josh McCown has played better this year than Eli has in a LONG time.  People want to use the OL excuse for Eli but our OL sucks too, our run game hasn't been good, he's got UDFA's as his top WRs.  Eli is done, has been for a long time.  It would make no sense to add Eli.  I think Eli signed a new deal 3 years ago or so and at that time if the Giants moved on I would have taken Eli but at this point it is silly.

20 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Ha how did the giants lose to 9ers before jimmy G came in lol. Cardinals are 5-7 just like us, and we almost ( should have ) beat the jags.

We actually did beat the Jaguars, where were you? Lol. The Cards are a team in decline & the Jags are portrayed as a team on the upswing. Jags are like 4 years into their rebuilding project. All I was hearing from the experts was, Jaguars, Jaguars, Jaguars & then they lose to the Cardinals? Put me in the OVERATED category when it comes to Blake Bortles & the Jags.

9 minutes ago, Jetster said:

We actually did beat the Jaguars, where were you? Lol. The Cards are a team in decline & the Jags are portrayed as a team on the upswing. Jags are like 4 years into their rebuilding project. All I was hearing from the experts was, Jaguars, Jaguars, Jaguars & then they lose to the Cardinals? Put me in the OVERATED category when it comes to Blake Bortles & the Jags.

I was flying to Asia that week. 12 HRs difference tough go get the game ha. Kinda forgot about jets for a week ? now I remember reading up on 1 game I did miss. Ya they reminds me of jets few yrs ago, good team carrying a bad qb ?. They may try to steal McCown from us ?

1 minute ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Josh McCown is a much better qb then Eli at this point in theie careers.

Too bad we didnt have Josh in 2009. Dude is a team guy, tough, and that group NEEDED a veteran QB, we might have had a few home playoff games. Sometimes players just never end up in the best places for their careers. I remember him tearing up the Jets when he was a Brown & he tried to leap over a defender & got helicoptered and fumbled and knocked out of the game. No way we win that game if he didn't get hurt. Timing & where they end up is everything for players. Someone being coached under Belichick gets a hell of a lot more than someone being coached by Jack Del Rio, or Herman Edwards for that matter, ask Jericho Cotchery.

17 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I think the Jags are a very dangerous team come January and speaking of Eli & the Jags:

Eli first 4 seasons:

987-1805, 55%, 11,385 yds, 77 TDs, 64 INTs, 73.4 rating

Bortles first 4 seasons(so far):

1232-2089, 59%, 13794 yds, 83 TDs, 59 INTs, 80.2 rating

Bortles has not been good over most of his first 4 years, Eli was not good over most of his first 4 years but the Giants got great D in 2007 and Eli limited mistakes in postseason and played well.  Can Bortles do that? sounds crazy but it also sounded crazy that Eli would do it in 2007.  I like the Jags this postseason to make some noise.

3 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Too bad we didnt have Josh in 2009. Dude is a team guy, tough, and that group NEEDED a veteran QB, we might have had a few home playoff games. Sometimes players just never end up in the best places for their careers. I remember him tearing up the Jets when he was a Brown & he tried to leap over a defender & got helicoptered and fumbled and knocked out of the game. No way we win that game if he didn't get hurt. Timing & where they end up is everything for players. Someone being coached under Belichick gets a hell of a lot more than someone being coached by Jack Del Rio, or Herman Edwards for that matter, ask Jericho Cotchery.

you mean 2015, in 2009 we had a better QB and we don't make the title game w/o him.  In 2008 w/ similar team, weaker sched and no Brady around we couldn't even make the playoffs.

Jericho was a mid rd pick and played 2 yrs under Herm.

ever notice how all these players BB develops look so much better w/ Tom Brady?  ever notice BB's HC record w/o Tom Brady?

2 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

you mean 2015, in 2009 we had a better QB and we don't make the title game w/o him.  In 2008 w/ similar team, weaker sched and no Brady around we couldn't even make the playoffs.

ever notice how all these players BB develops look so much better w/ Tom Brady?  ever notice BB's HC record w/o Tom Brady?

Hahahahaha.  Too funny.  Our qb that year had 12tds and 20 picks.

Hahahahahaha.  Thanks.  I needed that laugh.

5 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I think the Jags are a very dangerous team come January and speaking of Eli & the Jags:

Eli first 4 seasons:

987-1805, 55%, 11,385 yds, 77 TDs, 64 INTs, 73.4 rating

Bortles first 4 seasons(so far):

1232-2089, 59%, 13794 yds, 83 TDs, 59 INTs, 80.2 rating

Bortles has not been good over most of his first 4 years, Eli was not good over most of his first 4 years but the Giants got great D in 2007 and Eli limited mistakes in postseason and played well.  Can Bortles do that? sounds crazy but it also sounded crazy that Eli would do it in 2007.  I like the Jags this postseason to make some noise.

Don't see it myself, lose to Cards last week?, but you never know. 

1 minute ago, Joe W. Namath said:

What the F*ck is he talking about, lol. I can guarantee him that the Jets would not have lost to the Buffalo Bills with McCown at QB running for over 300 yards! Sanchez had 5 interceptions that day even with the Jets rushing for over 300 yards! By the way, another stat owned by the NY Jets, 1st team to ever LOSE rushing for over 300 yards!

3 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

He was also outstanding in the playoffs and if you watched us that year you'd know he had about 4 awful games where the majority of his picks came from.  He was good the majority of that season and he was a rookie w/o a lot of experience playing in college.  Again, a year earlier against easier sched, no Brady and w/ future HOFer at QB we couldn't even make the playoffs.

2 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Don't see it myself, lose to Cards last week?, but you never know. 

Every team has bad losses, they rebounded and crushed Indy last week.  They have crushed Pitt this year, crushed the Ravens, beat SD.  In 2007 NYG got killed by 8-8 Minnesota- every team has bad losses.

8 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

The Jets won IN SPITE of Mark Sanchez in 2009! Give me a F*cking break! The revisionist history on Mark Sanchez is truly baffling.

What the F*ck is he talking about, lol. I can guarantee him that the Jets would not have lost to the Buffalo Bills with McCown at QB running for over 300 yards! Sanchez had 5 interceptions that day even with the Jets rushing for over 300 yards! By the way, another stat owned by the NY Jets, 1st team to ever LOSE rushing for over 300 yards!

he had a terrible game, it happens.  we can say we wouldn't have blown that game at Miami w/ Mark or lost to tampa.  Bad games happen, Mark was mostly good that year and was really good in the playoffs for us.  I'll trade a bad game in October for a good one in January any day.

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

He was also outstanding in the playoffs and if you watched us that year you'd know he had about 4 awful games where the majority of his picks came from.  He was good the majority of that season and he was a rookie w/o a lot of experience playing in college.  Again, a year earlier against easier sched, no Brady and w/ future HOFer at QB we couldn't even make the playoffs.

Every team has bad losses, they rebounded and crushed Indy last week.  They have crushed Pitt this year, crushed the Ravens, beat SD.  In 2007 NYG got killed by 8-8 Minnesota- every team has bad losses.

Don't forget we beat them also.

The Jets won IN SPITE of Mark Sanchez in 2009! Give me a F*cking break! The revisionist history on Mark Sanchez is truly baffling.

we also lost games in spite of him too.  Mark had a good rookie year overall and was vital to the run.  if we don't get good QB play in January we had no chance to win 2 playoff games(or even one).

The revisionist history on Mark IS baffling but it's not the way you think it is. 

He threw 20 INts that year which isn't good BUT 15 came in 4 games.  His other 11 games he threw 5 INTs and his rating in those 11 games was 84.5.  He was good for a rookie and good for us the majority of that season. 

AGAIN, in 2008 against weaker sched, no Brady and w/ a HOF QB we couldn't even make the playoffs but our QB threw some meaningless TDs so it excited the fans.

8 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Don't forget we beat them also.

we did, we've competed against everyone though outside of that 2nd half at Oakland.

Jax may be one and done? but I think they can make a deep run as long as that D plays the way they are capable of.

1 hour ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Now that the giants have the #2, assuming they stick around there. It’s highly unlikely giants being him back. Darnold or Rosen most likely would be the better option than Eli next yr at the fraction of the cost. 

McCown has had a better yr than Eli no question. Eli has done a lot in his career, but Father Time caught up with him a lot quicker than it has to McCown. Not that Eli could ever scramble. No question McCown is the better qb for 2 million vs Eli’s current 22 million salary. When the giants cut him, he will be a FA and probably get him for 10- 12 mil. Would you take Eli or McCown in that scenario ? It’s likely we won’t be drafting a qb in 1st round, especially one who is going to be ready out of the gate. 

pass... on both

11 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

we also lost games in spite of him too.  Mark had a good rookie year overall and was vital to the run.  if we don't get good QB play in January we had no chance to win 2 playoff games(or even one).

The revisionist history on Mark IS baffling but it's not the way you think it is. 

He threw 20 INts that year which isn't good BUT 15 came in 4 games.  His other 11 games he threw 5 INTs and his rating in those 11 games was 84.5.  He was good for a rookie and good for us the majority of that season. 

AGAIN, in 2008 against weaker sched, no Brady and w/ a HOF QB we couldn't even make the playoffs but our QB threw some meaningless TDs so it excited the fans.

Had Favre stayed & played behind that 2009/2010 Oline we might have won a f*cking Super Bowl by playing some home playoff games!

That Oline was incredible. Dbrick- Fanaca- Mangold- Moore- Woody! Holy sh*t! One of the best Jet olines ever. A top 10 ever in the NFL! Thomas Jones had zero wiggle & ran for a ton of yards. That line was amazing!

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

Or the Jets?

31 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Had Favre stayed & played behind that 2009/2010 Oline we might have won a f*cking Super Bowl by playing some home playoff games!

That Oline was incredible. Dbrick- Fanaca- Mangold- Moore- Woody! Holy sh*t! One of the best Jet olines ever. A top 10 ever in the NFL! Thomas Jones had zero wiggle & ran for a ton of yards. That line was amazing!

Farve was incredible in 09. We were stuck with a last ranked qb but had everything else. Best d, line, Rbs. 

Archived