The NY Jets have lost my support this season

Villain The Foe

This is the first season where I've pretty much dismissed NY Jets football. I've rarely even been on the forum, which for some understandably, this made for a euphoric experience . And you know what? This is the best I've felt during this time of the year since Rex first 2 seasons. And before those years I would say the year of "The Favre". I began to pull for the Jets since 1990 at around 10 years old during those annual Giant/Jets preseason games. I noticed that I was actually becoming fan of the team after seeing how upset I was during the infamous Marino fake-spike game. I followed this team yearly since then. 

Many of us thought that from the 1998 on that this franchise could be going in the right direction in comparison to what we did in the 90's. From 1998 to 2010 the jets made the Playoffs 7 times, won 7 playoff games and won the AFC East division twice. 

Since 2011 the Jets have done.....well, nothing. This decade is as bad 90's decade in many ways. The 90's was the absolute worst decade, but this decade is most definitely making a case right now. We've already tied the 90's decade for the most consecutive seasons without a playoff birth (6) and this season will surely break that tie and make it 7 years without a playoff birth. We hold claim to having some of the worst quarterback play from numerous quarterbacks this decade. We've had a decades worth of 1st and 2nd round picks that are no longer in the NFL, let alone not with the NY Jets. We've had numerous seasons of losing 10 or more games. Literally, every year since 2013 has been considered a "Rebuilding Year", yet we've seen them build nothing. 

This year was the first year that I was actually fed up with the NY Jets decision making. When they signed Josh McCown after parting ways with Fitz and Geno and refusing to let Petty or Hack play, that was the first time that in my mind I said "F*** this team" and really meant it. I've watched most of the games, but not with such anticipation like is years past. I have not gotten upset at losses, I've smiled during the wins because of course, the team is in my heart. But as a fan that dedicates their most precious asset which is time, I've literally not invested myself into this football season as I typically would do...and I have to say that it wasnt as bad as I thought it would be. I've been a NY Jets fan for almost 30 years of my life, and I know some folks here who seen Namath live with their own eyes. We deserve better than what we're getting. I know that some folks will criticize what im saying as if im somehow not a "real fan", and that's cool. I think that I deserve better as a fan that what im getting. The thread about Morton wanting McCown back next year is what prompted me to even write this. I deserve better than what this team has done this decade, and so do you. We are currently in a position where Im watching a front office and coaching staff who inherited a team that was fully blown up and had damn near 200 million in cap space, and 3 years later we're in the exact same position. These guys never even left the station. This decade has been an absolute abomination and has proven not to be worth my time, or yours. WTF is ownership or this front office doing that even gives hope for the future? Though it's not translating to wins, I can see that the Cleveland Browns are trying everything they absolutely can to bring winning football to their fans. You can actually see the effort. The NY Jets are such a lukewarm team because it's suck a lukewarm organization with no clear direction. That's proven true given that we've been in rebuilding mode since we drafted Geno Smith in 2013. Every single year, EVERY has been a rebuilding year. It's past comical at this point and im tired of it. I love the Jets, but what is occurring here is bullsh*t, and deep down we all know it. I've been more interested in watching Oklahoma football the past 2 years than I have watching NY Jets football...and im not even a college football fan. However, what I am seeing is how these college guys are out there and leaving it all on the field. Pro guys like Wilkerson get paid and cant even make meetings on time. 

Im disappointed in this organization, and I've never felt that way until this season. This isnt even about the wins or losses, but how this team is being handled. This team is going nowhere until ownership changes, or ownership lucks up and gets either a front office or a coach that knows what the hell they are doing. It would also be nice to see an offensive-minded head coach someday in my lifetime. 

I love this team, but they simply dont deserve that level of dedication from me until they show something other than a rebuilding year. Hopefully that will be addressing this offensive line, drafting a talented QB, stop preaching this nonsense of bridge QB's when it's a bridge to nowhere and get some offensive minded coaching in this building. The 49ers may have just changed their fortunes with their new QB and their new HC... and the Jets are still stuck in the station. 

VTF

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

This is the first season where I've pretty much dismissed NY Jets football. I've rarely even been on the forum, which for some understandably, this made for a euphoric experience . And you know what? This is the best I've felt during this time of the year since Rex first 2 seasons. And before those years I would say the year of "The Favre". I began to pull for the Jets since 1990 at around 10 years old during those annual Giant/Jets preseason games. I noticed that I was actually becoming fan of the team after seeing how upset I was during the infamous Marino fake-spike game. I followed this team yearly since then. 

Many of us thought that from the 1998 on that this franchise could be going in the right direction in comparison to what we did in the 90's. From 1998 to 2010 the jets made the Playoffs 7 times, won 7 playoff games and won the AFC East division twice. 

Since 2011 the Jets have done.....well, nothing. This decade is as bad 90's decade in many ways. The 90's was the absolute worst decade, but this decade is most definitely making a case right now. We've already tied the 90's decade for the most consecutive seasons without a playoff birth (6) and this season will surely break that tie and make it 7 years without a playoff birth. We hold claim to having some of the worst quarterback play from numerous quarterbacks this decade. We've had a decades worth of 1st and 2nd round picks that are no longer in the NFL, let alone not with the NY Jets. We've had numerous seasons of losing 10 or more games. Literally, every year since 2013 has been considered a "Rebuilding Year", yet we've seen them build nothing. 

This year was the first year that I was actually fed up with the NY Jets decision making. When they signed Josh McCown after parting ways with Fitz and Geno and refusing to let Petty or Hack play, that was the first time that in my mind I said "F*** this team" and really meant it. I've watched most of the games, but not with such anticipation like is years past. I have not gotten upset at losses, I've smiled during the wins because of course, the team is in my heart. But as a fan that dedicates their most precious asset which is time, I've literally not invested myself into this football season as I typically would do...and I have to say that it wasnt as bad as I thought it would be. I've been a NY Jets fan for almost 30 years of my life, and I know some folks here who seen Namath live with their own eyes. We deserve better than what we're getting. I know that some folks will criticize what im saying as if im somehow not a "real fan", and that's cool. I think that I deserve better as a fan that what im getting. The thread about Morton wanting McCown back next year is what prompted me to even write this. I deserve better than what this team has done this decade, and so do you. We are currently in a position where Im watching a front office and coaching staff who inherited a team that was fully blown up and had damn near 200 million in cap space, and 3 years later we're in the exact same position. These guys never even left the station. This decade has been an absolute abomination and has proven not to be worth my time, or yours. WTF is ownership or this front office doing that even gives hope for the future? Though it's not translating to wins, I can see that the Cleveland Browns are trying everything they absolutely can to bring winning football to their fans. You can actually see the effort. The NY Jets are such a lukewarm team because it's suck a lukewarm organization with no clear direction. That's proven true given that we've been in rebuilding mode since we drafted Geno Smith in 2013. Every single year, EVERY has been a rebuilding year. It's past comical at this point and im tired of it. I love the Jets, but what is occurring here is bullsh*t, and deep down we all know it. I've been more interested in watching Oklahoma football the past 2 years than I have watching NY Jets football...and im not even a college football fan. However, what I am seeing is how these college guys are out there and leaving it all on the field. Pro guys like Wilkerson get paid and cant even make meetings on time. 

Im disappointed in this organization, and I've never felt that way until this season. This isnt even about the wins or losses, but how this team is being handled. This team is going nowhere until ownership changes, or ownership lucks up and gets either a front office or a coach that knows what the hell they are doing. It would also be nice to see an offensive-minded head coach someday in my lifetime. 

I love this team, but they simply dont deserve that level of dedication from me until they show something other than a rebuilding year. Hopefully that will be addressing this offensive line, drafting a talented QB, stop preaching this nonsense of bridge QB's when it's a bridge to nowhere and get some offensive minded coaching in this building. The 49ers may have just changed their fortunes with their new QB and their new HC... and the Jets are still stuck in the station. 

VTF

10C55A0B-D656-4993-A6FE-6F01B4EEDEE1.gif

For me last year was a far worse season. Yes we still had the big names but all of them were well past their primes and most looked as though they gave up. This team is young and hungry, I feel like we really haven't seen this type of motivation since 2009/2010.

You must have missed the preseason when the coaching staff was giving Hack every opportunity to show us ANYTHING. Guy was just a bad pick. It's a shame you haven't watched this season because it appears as though the team is fighting together.

I think most fans are excited because we all knew this year was to see what Hack has, if he failed then get excited for the deepest QB class in a long time, with the potential of stealing a top 10 QB from the Redskins. I think the potential options for QB and the unexpected growth out of players is what has made this year exciting

27 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

For me last year was a far worse season. Yes we still had the big names but all of them were well past their primes and most looked as though they gave up. This team is young and hungry, I feel like we really haven't seen this type of motivation since 2009/2010.

You must have missed the preseason when the coaching staff was giving Hack every opportunity to show us ANYTHING. Guy was just a bad pick. It's a shame you haven't watched this season because it appears as though the team is fighting together.

I think most fans are excited because we all knew this year was to see what Hack has, if he failed then get excited for the deepest QB class in a long time, with the potential of stealing a top 10 QB from the Redskins. I think the potential options for QB and the unexpected growth out of players is what has made this year exciting

The Revis loaf was the worst. Followed by Potsy Richardson's antics.  Fitz was horrible.  This year it is the mediocrity job save direction.  

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

VTF

Great post

3 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

The Revis loaf was the worst. Followed by Potsy Richardson's antics.  Fitz was horrible.  This year it is the mediocrity job save direction.  

I thought Clady being hurt, Mangold regressing and Marshall dropping balls were all downers as well. Lets not forget Harris sucking wind running from sideline to sideline and the Louisville slugger whiffing on big hits to give up huge gains over the top.

And like you said fan favorite and Jets God Darrelle Revis gives up on the team that shelled out huge bucks to him over his career and Sheldon playing out of position. Not to mention there weren't any consensus top QBs in FA or the draft for us to be hopefully get.

I'll take this season with the off chance of getting Cousins or any of these first round rookies over last season all day.

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

VTF

I feel for you bro, I do. I was captured by this team at the age of 7. It was 1962. My dad and grandfather took me too the Polo Grounds for my first ever football game. I remember it like yesterday. I still have the program. The Titans came in at 2-1 and were playing the Denver Broncos. I remember Don Maynard caught a TD pass and they kicked a FG to go up 10-3. Unfortunately the Broncos put up 29 unanswered and won 32-10. Still I was hooked. I went to the next home game against the then Boston Patriots. That one didn't start so well as Boston went up 24 and never looked back. 

I have been though all the fiasco's with this team and have been where you are. I did quit on the season a few times but I always was back the next year and I always read the papers on the day following what was usually a Jet loss. There were GREAT times too. When they moved to Shea My Gramps got season tix and Him, my Father, Brother and I went to every Jet home game until my Gramps past. I will always remember those memories and they are associated with these Jets. We kept the tradition going for decades. When my Dad passed my bro and I took our sons with us to the games. Hell I even traveled in from Michigan after I moved there to see this team up until the whole PSL fiasco and move to the new stadium.

So the Jets have been in my blood and family heritage for four generations. The passion has waned as it tends to do in long relationships but the love is still there. I still watch every second of every game and I no longer watch standing up as I used to do and I can actually watch the games without scaring other people(lol) and the carpet in my family room no longer has a path worn through it(it has been replaced). At least I watched them win a Super Bowl and help change the course of history with that win. I just want to see this team become a perennial winner and get that Lombardi Trophy here. Its what we all want no matter how much we argue and go at each other. Patience does wear thin and Macchole and Bowles are a big part of that. Bowles seem's to be growing as a Coach and while it comes at the worst time the team is showing some promise. I am hoping that they get a QB next year be it in the draft or FA but I will be watching no matter what they do or who is behind center and so will you. After all we're Jet Fans.

Being a lifelong Jet fan I get it the frustation-still I am a fanatic so will watch and continue to support them till I die. I hope to be pleaseantly suprised one year  I will settle for playoff appearances on a regular basis hah

We're in a rebuild now because ownership allowed the fans and media to dictate to them after a rebuilding team went 4-12 in 2014. So they scrapped that and began a quick fix retooling in the attempt to become more competitive quickly. It of course backfired and now 3 years later we're rebuilding again. 

2 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

VTF

Sorry, but I think we're on the upswing.  With Wilk and Skrine gone, close to 100M in cap space, 9 draft picks and some developing young players I think we're a playoff team next year unless we bite the bullet and start a young QB.  Regardless we'll get our QB, fill most of the gaps we need to fill, be rid of the expensive turds and have a young aggressive team that's only gonna get better.

Last year I felt like you do and reverted to college football (Penn State) after decades of being committed to pro ball, but I'm really looking forward to next season.  The improvement is already apparent and we're just starting our rebuild.

14 minutes ago, faba said:

Being a lifelong Jet fan I get it the frustation-still I am a fanatic so will watch and continue to support them till I die. I hope to be pleaseantly suprised one year  I will settle for playoff appearances on a regular basis hah

Like myself we are diehards we are resilient and we stick with our team no matter what. 

This years team plays with heart not all the time but for the most part. 

This young team plays hard and our record should be better with a few overturned calls at crucial moments. 

Todd Bowles I was never a fan, but lately he seems to be the guy we need to maintain some stability around here. 

We have won more games than many predicted this season. 

I would never ever give up on the NY Jets. 

I plan on having my family put the Jets emblem on my tombstone. 

10 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Thanks for understanding what I'm saying. 

I am 150% with you man and feel the exact same way. I am sure Bob Cleveland is turning in his grave at what goes on with this team (If you do not know who Bob Cleveland is, see the Shea years 70-80's). It is almost as though this organization is fueled by dark matter in a sense that it pops in and out of our universe / reality at any given time. Unfortunately, most time they wink out and are living in a parallel universe and have no clue WTF they are doing, and no direction - like now. It is like the movie "Interstellar" where the crew goes to Millers planet and leaves one guy behind on the ship. 7 hours pass for the exploration crew while 27 years passes on the ship due to time relativity (that is some really cool $hit to be honest).  The Jets are the explorers and have had 7 hours of success, while the Pats are Division Champs for 27 years straight with zero chance of anything changing, anytime soon.

This has definitely been a confusing season for me with this team. Like many, I had primed myself before the season began for a 2-14 season. I cued up all the college QBs I wanted to watch. Then, much like life in general, things didn't quite work out as expected.

And that's ok. I think the general frustration is that we have no shot at the playoffs but are successful enough to miss out on the top QBs in the draft, thus continuing the endless cycle of mediocrity. However, after doing mock offseasons and mock drafts for a long time, I know things never work out quite the way everyone expects them to. If the Browns sign Kirk Cousins or Tyrod Taylor, the top pick in the draft opens up. You don't know what is going to happen. 

I'm going to enjoy a draft class that is producing more, from top to bottom, than any draft class we have had since probably 2006. I'm going to enjoy watching Darron Lee turing into a decent to good player after I thought he was going to be a bust. I'm going to enjoy watching Anderson go from an UDFA to a possible pro bowler. 

Let the QB situation work itself out, we have a long way to go. 

2 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

I began to pull for the Jets since 1990 at around 10 years old during those annual Giant/Jets preseason games.

You are nothing more than a snot-nosed, punk kid.  Come back in a few years when have developed some scar tissue. :lol:

50 minutes ago, August said:

We're in a rebuild now because ownership allowed the fans and media to dictate to them after a rebuilding team went 4-12 in 2014. So they scrapped that and began a quick fix retooling in the attempt to become more competitive quickly. It of course backfired and now 3 years later we're rebuilding again. 

No, the fans didn't do anything. Ownership keeps hiring the same defense first fake tough guy coach and the same midl-mannered GM. And they all make happy faces and get along. Which is how you don't have a real QB forever. 

The Johnsons could have at any time during this ownership hired some old mean eff (Parcells, Gibbsm Wolf) as club president and stepped back. Instead he wanted to pal around with the likes of Rex Ryan or hire a "search committee". It's a joke, but to blame the fans is really despicable. Because recall how the media morons like Mike Lupica told everyone jets fans would riot if they drafted a LT and instead we happily welcomed Brick for a decade plus. The fans get it; this team is run badly forever. If Johnson's worry is what "the fans" will think he is in fact a bigger fool than we know. Because all any of us want is winning football. 

God bless you, VTF. 

Newer/younger fans would call this SOJF speak and they will all learn too until the Jets win a SuperBowl, I was ready to give up right before they hired Parcells, and they drew me back in... 

SOJF are not born they are developed over time by the Jets ability to create new and unbelievable ways to disappoint - you will be fine, this feeling is just part of the process, I felt the exact same way and have learned to enjoy the good times and shut off the bad times and make no mistake these are bad times - that loss to Carolina was pathetic - as bad as the fake spike (without good QB play) but instead of yelling and getting upset, I just changed the channel after the fumble, it was over after the reversed TD call and I knew it but I still get pulled back in...  

There is not much else you can do, I do not think you can pick another team and recreate those childhood feelings, just need to get ready for the draft, like how will you feel if Mayfield falls to the Jets and Mac takes a TE, LOL 

Builds character and will make that Super Bowl win that much sweeter :)

I get it. I still find last year to be more disappointing. I used to care way too much about this team. I’d get bent out of shape and they’d ruin my Sundays.

All I can say is you can still enjoy football, you just have to care less. Love the team for being your team, but invest less in the minutiae and you’ll win every season. Adopt other teams to pay a little attention to and just enjoy the game.
The Jets will always be my #1, but my wife’s family are Vikings supporters and we have a family member on that team. They have fun, I have fun. I’ve lived in other cities and share marginal interest in those teams to support my co-workers and friends.

Enjoy the game itself and you’ll enjoy the team more because you have less invested in a poor investment. Retake your Sundays back.

45 minutes ago, maury77 said:

This has definitely been a confusing season for me with this team. Like many, I had primed myself before the season began for a 2-14 season. I cued up all the college QBs I wanted to watch. Then, much like life in general, things didn't quite work out as expected.

And that's ok. I think the general frustration is that we have no shot at the playoffs but are successful enough to miss out on the top QBs in the draft, thus continuing the endless cycle of mediocrity. However, after doing mock offseasons and mock drafts for a long time, I know things never work out quite the way everyone expects them to. If the Browns sign Kirk Cousins or Tyrod Taylor, the top pick in the draft opens up. You don't know what is going to happen. 

I'm going to enjoy a draft class that is producing more, from top to bottom, than any draft class we have had since probably 2006. I'm going to enjoy watching Darron Lee turing into a decent to good player after I thought he was going to be a bust. I'm going to enjoy watching Anderson go from an UDFA to a possible pro bowler. 

Let the QB situation work itself out, we have a long way to go. 

They have tried to massage this forever. And that doesn't work. An organizational decision should have been made to tank this year and roll the dice in the draft. That wasn't done. So when Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield or Allen is starting somewhere (like in MetLife in blue) next September, savor these utterly pointless senseless bum fight 5 or 6 wins. WHAT WAS THE F___ ING POINT OF THIS 2017 SEASON? Should have been to get burned and cauterize the wound once and for all. Instead the Jets, in their tradition, half assed things. 

Fewer words version: I cannot control it, so I don’t sweat it. I’m loyal to a fault, so I don’t abandon them. They aren’t a reflection of my hard work and success, so I don’t have to pretend to be proud of them.

Basically, I don’t give a **** what they do anymore, the sport is boring compared to 10 years ago, and I refuse to have my children witness me be affected by a sports team.

19 minutes ago, Bugg said:

No, the fans didn't do anything. Ownership keeps hiring the same defense first fake tough guy coach and the same midl-mannered GM. And they all make happy faces and get along. Which is how you don't have a real QB forever. 

The Johnsons could have at any time during this ownership hired some old mean eff (Parcells, Gibbsm Wolf) as club president and stepped back. Instead he wanted to pal around with the likes of Rex Ryan or hire a "search committee". It's a joke, but to blame the fans is really despicable. Because recall how the media morons like Mike Lupica told everyone jets fans would riot if they drafted a LT and instead we happily welcomed Brick for a decade plus. The fans get it; this team is run badly forever. If Johnson's worry is what "the fans" will think he is in fact a bigger fool than we know. Because all any of us want is winning football. 

God bless you, VTF. 

We literally just saw how the media and fans played a part with the happenings over at the Giants. We saw it in '14 with billboards and the media going ham on the team every single day. That played the biggest factor.

I gotta tell ya after listen to Jenkins on WFAN yesterday I really was disgusted. What’s his face, the guy with the annoying voice starting a question with “ you know lot of guys said you wouldn’t win a game, would be worst jets team in jet history...” and Jenkins actually seemed proud that they proved everyone wrong and ignored the doubters, knew they we’re good... He said we like that was the general opinion of the team. It is disgusting that a team actually is proud and content with 5-7, and act like that is a huge success. I don’t know if Bowles is pumping his chest about that, but I just really felt absolute disgusted by a loser team being proud they at least are not the worst team out there.

Like your posts but you're being a little dramatic.  This season is vastly superior to the sh-tshow that was out there last year.

It's a young, fun team with a QB who is playing well and guys who don't give up. 

I actually watched the Morton press conf.  He was asked "do you want McCown back next season" and he smiled and said "Sure (long pause).. why wouldn't you... but that's not my call".  Not so crazy when you hear the full context, huh?

And he's right!  Why wouldn't you want a knowledgeable, professional, QB who is playing very well and is a GREAT role model for the entire team?  Acting like 39 years old is 150 is getting tired. 

You draft a QB..  resign McCown... give Hack 1 last chance...  If the rookie isn't ready to play you start McCown and make your playoff run next year.  I fully expect them to be contenders next year whether it be Josh or a blue chip rookie.

5 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

The thread about Morton wanting McCown back next year is what prompted me to even write this.

I want McCown back, BUT...  only as a mentor and backup for our next QB. The Jets MUST invest money for a FA QB or invest draft picks to move up for a potential franchise QB. I don't care how they do it as long as the resolve the missing QB situation. McCown would be an excellent mentor. If they don't do that then I don't want McCown back.

Archived