Kirk Cousins is trash

Paradis

1 hour ago, Dinamite said:

How has Kirk Cousins done with his several trips to the Meadowlands? does he play well in the stadium or has issues with wind, etc? an important factor for any jets QB.

2013 at NYG:

19-49, 169 yds, 0 TDs, 2 INTs, lost 20-6

2015 at NYG:

30-49, 316, 1 TD, 2 INts, lost 32-21

2015 at NYJ:

25-43, 196, 1 TD, 2 INTs, lost 34-20

2016 at NYG:

21-35, 296, 2 TDs, 0 INTs, won 29-27

2017 at NYG:

20-37, 158, 0 TDs, 3 INTs, lost 18-10

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

2013 at NYG:

2015 at NYG:

2015 at NYJ:

2016 at NYG:

2017 at NYG:

Thanks for the info.  That is helpful.   It is interesting to see how he has played up and down in the stadium here.

51 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

2013 at NYG:

2015 at NYG:

2015 at NYJ:

2016 at NYG:

2017 at NYG:

Ugh!    Are we sure we want to pay this guy $30,000,000

16 hours ago, Dinamite said:

Thanks for the info.  That is helpful.   It is interesting to see how he has played up and down in the stadium here.

I doubt it's the Stadium, I don't see the winds being as bad as they were in the 80s. I think you have to look at each game individually, I doubt they were favored in most of those games.

3 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Why the heck would we want this guy?

Why he looks decent and might be responsible for actually winning us some games!!

Borderline Top 10 QB who has strung together 3 pro-bowl quality seasons ever since he became a fulltime starter...but he’s not Brady/Rodgers so f*ck him, I guess.

On 1/1/2018 at 1:34 AM, Philc1 said:

I keep hearing Kirk Cousins is so great yet Tyrod Taylor is playing next weekend 

Neither of those two are  on our team Josh McCown, Bryce Petty and the kid wearing khakis in gameday are. Either of those two make this team better. Cousins is just a better choice for the typical NFL system. 

38 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Borderline Top 10 QB who has strung together 3 pro-bowl quality seasons ever since he became a fulltime starter...but he’s not Brady/Rodgers so f*ck him, I guess.

No one is Brady/Rodgers.  Guys like that don't even get close to ever becoming a FA.

16 minutes ago, prime21 said:

No one is Brady/Rodgers.  Guys like that don't even get close to ever becoming a FA.

Of course 

Doesn’t mean that Cousins is some kinda scrub like most of this fanbase is making him out to be.

The season obviously didn’t end well for him, but he still put together another year where he threw for over 4,000 yards, 25+ TD’s and completed 65% of his passes. And that was while dealing with something like 8 different OL combinations throughout the season and missing his top playmaker (Jordan Reed) for the majority of the year.

We’re entering an offseason where we’re going to have close to $100 million in cap space and there are no impending FA OL, WR’s or OLB’s worth throwing big money at...and people are scoffing at the idea of landing a 29 year old QB with Cousins’ resume?

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

The best part about that is the likelihood of any of the QBs in this draft becoming that is miniscule.  In fact, the likelihood of any of these QBs becoming as good as Kirk Cousins isn't very high either.

2 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

The best part about that is the likelihood of any of the QBs in this draft becoming that is miniscule.  In fact, the likelihood of any of these QBs becoming as good as Kirk Cousins isn't very high either.

Exactly 

Even Rosen/Darnold have a slim as hell chance of ever being that kind of guy. 

Rosen actually reminds me a lot of Matt Ryan and Darnold reminds me a lot of Stafford. Good QB’s, but future HOFers? Sh*t no.

If I told all of the Mayfield fans that he was guaranteed to put up numbers similar to Cousins for the foreseeable future...half of the fanbase would be ready to mortgage our drafts for the next 3 years to move up and draft him.

But Cousins, who won’t cost a single draft pick and would offer the Jets a ton of flexibility in how they continue to build the team, is a big no-no.

Meh, whatever.

I’ll take him

8 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

Good, so they won’t dare ask to Break the Bank during The Future. That is the big thing with Cousins - his heart is so full of hate and unclutch that he wants to do the opposite which is break Woody’s wallet and destroy the future. 

• 1 month later...
On 1/1/2018 at 1:34 AM, Philc1 said:

I keep hearing Kirk Cousins is so great yet Tyrod Taylor is playing next weekend 

So were a bunch of other Qbs that are worse than Kirk Cousins.  Bortles, Keenum, Foles, and Smith are all worse and made the post-season.  Cam and Goff are worse too, but I don't feel like arguing about it. Maybe the takeaway should be that this excuse that we are tanking for years waiting for a QB is just that... a lame ass excuse.

On 12/10/2017 at 6:56 PM, Paradis said:

I don't care how beefed up his Fitzpatrick stat line is, the guy never wins the big games. He's got more sex appeal than Brad Johnson, but I ain't paying Brad Johnson 20 something million. He's watched as 2016 QBs have walked by in the win column with less help in some cases. 

Fool's gold. 

I relate him to Tony Romo. Great numbers but always coming up small in crunch time. He can throw for 350 yards in three quarters but in the fourth quarter he'll throw for 20. 

On February 6, 2018 at 3:44 PM, Ex-Rex said:

I relate him to Tony Romo. Great numbers but always coming up small in crunch time. He can throw for 350 yards in three quarters but in the fourth quarter he'll throw for 20. 

EXACTLY. 

My sentiments regarding Cousins as well. 

Came across this article and thought it was rather telling (note McCloughan DID want to extend Cousins and that partially sealed his fate w/Allen.):

Browns' Scott McCloughan still has Baker Mayfield as his top QB 'hands down' and Kirk Cousins not 'special'

Interestingly, McCloughan, who could eventually be hired full-time by the Browns if the

consulting gig goes well, would likely advise the Browns not to enter a bidding war for Cousins, who could command $30 million on the open market, especially now that Jimmy Garappolo is making a league-high $27.5 million a year with the 49ers.

In the same Jan. 18 radio interview, McCloughan didn't jump on the table for the six-year pro, despite 4,000-yard seasons in each of the past three years, including 4,166 in 2015 and 4,917 in 2016 when McCloughan was GM. The evaluation is significant because the Browns are in the market for a veteran quarterback now that Alex Smith has been traded to the Redskins, and Cousins will be the top QB on the market.

The Browns, however, probably wouldn't have tried to sign Cousins to such a blockbuster deal anyway, given that they're poised to select a QB No. 1 overall.

"He's a good player,'' McCloughan said.  "Is he special? I don't see special. But also, we were still building a roster around him to make him special. Jay Gruden does a great job play-calling. (Former Redskins coordinator and current Rams coach) Sean McVay did a great job play-calling to put him in positions to be successful. He's talented. Talent is good at quarterback in the NFL. He's won games. I know his record overall is not over .500 (24-23-1).

"I know he has not won a playoff game (0-1). But he's competitive. He works his tail off. He's so methodical. Every day he has planned out. He's always in the building, he's always watching tape, he's always talking to coaches, he was talking to me. From the standpoint of the tangibles, they're excellent. You just need to have some talent around him because you don't want him to be throwing the ball 35 to 40 times to win the game. You want to have a running game, have a good defense, good (special) teams, and then let him do what he does."

McCloughan also praised Cousins' mobility and other assets.

45 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

EXACTLY. 

My sentiments regarding Cousins as well. 

Came across this article and thought it was rather telling (note McCloughan DID want to extend Cousins and that partially sealed his fate w/Allen.):

Browns' Scott McCloughan still has Baker Mayfield as his top QB 'hands down' and Kirk Cousins not 'special'

Interestingly, McCloughan, who could eventually be hired full-time by the Browns if the

consulting gig goes well, would likely advise the Browns not to enter a bidding war for Cousins, who could command $30 million on the open market, especially now that Jimmy Garappolo is making a league-high $27.5 million a year with the 49ers.

In the same Jan. 18 radio interview, McCloughan didn't jump on the table for the six-year pro, despite 4,000-yard seasons in each of the past three years, including 4,166 in 2015 and 4,917 in 2016 when McCloughan was GM. The evaluation is significant because the Browns are in the market for a veteran quarterback now that Alex Smith has been traded to the Redskins, and Cousins will be the top QB on the market.

The Browns, however, probably wouldn't have tried to sign Cousins to such a blockbuster deal anyway, given that they're poised to select a QB No. 1 overall.

"He's a good player,'' McCloughan said.  "Is he special? I don't see special. But also, we were still building a roster around him to make him special. Jay Gruden does a great job play-calling. (Former Redskins coordinator and current Rams coach) Sean McVay did a great job play-calling to put him in positions to be successful. He's talented. Talent is good at quarterback in the NFL. He's won games. I know his record overall is not over .500 (24-23-1).

"I know he has not won a playoff game (0-1). But he's competitive. He works his tail off. He's so methodical. Every day he has planned out. He's always in the building, he's always watching tape, he's always talking to coaches, he was talking to me. From the standpoint of the tangibles, they're excellent. You just need to have some talent around him because you don't want him to be throwing the ball 35 to 40 times to win the game. You want to have a running game, have a good defense, good (special) teams, and then let him do what he does."

McCloughan also praised Cousins' mobility and other assets.

On 2/6/2018 at 1:44 PM, Ex-Rex said:

The Browns, Giants and Broncos all pick ahead of us and need quarterbacks.  The Browns pick twice before us.

We can't pretend that the situation is anything but bad for us picking a quarterback @ 6.  It's likely that Darnold, Rosen and Mayfield are all gone by our pick.  Allen played at Wyoming and never completed more than 60% of his passes.  Jackson is a complete wildcard of a prospect considering his athleticism and running ability is such a big part of his game - what happens when he takes a hit in the NFL that forces him to change his game, can he do it?

We've either got to trade up or sign Kirk Cousins.  And since trading up before the draft rarely happens, that means we need to try and sign Cousins first and see what happens.

As for the Tony Romo comparison, remember that Romo had a terrible offensive line for most of his career; when it finally became good (really good, in fact) he was already too injury prone to make use of it.  He might well have won some big games in his career if Jerry Jones had ceded control earlier.  

The soundest plan to me, a guy who is not enamored by Cousins but doesn't think he's "trash" either, is to make a big run at Cousins, a guard (Norwell, Pugh, or Kline) and Jensen the center from Baltimore in free agency.  We'll see who comes out of those three and then plan accordingly for the draft.  

On 1/1/2018 at 1:31 PM, detectivekimble said:

Cousins is actually really good.  He throws some great balls.

Some very impressive throws. He’s a very good QB. But be reminded, the Redskins were 7-9 and are on the same level as the Jets talent wise.  With Cousins, a few FA’s with the left over money and a few draft picks that hit and we may get to 8-8.  The FA money would better be allocated to developing a kick ass OL.  Draft a QB, fortify the OL. This would support protecting your QB and running the ball. Two essential ingredients you especially need with ANY QB. 

On 2/6/2018 at 2:44 PM, Ex-Rex said:

And Tony Romo would have been our best qb since Namath

On 2/6/2018 at 2:42 PM, #27TheDominator said:

So were a bunch of other Qbs that are worse than Kirk Cousins.  Bortles, Keenum, Foles, and Smith are all worse and made the post-season.  Cam and Goff are worse too, but I don't feel like arguing about it. Maybe the takeaway should be that this excuse that we are tanking for years waiting for a QB is just that... a lame ass excuse.

I’m all for signing Cousins even at the ridiculous price tag.  He’s a pretty good qb who is still relatively young

it boggles the mind that a fan base of a team that has not had a QB half as good as Cousins since like 1969 (outside of Vinny for 1 year and Chan for 1 year) would even blink at signing this guy. is it a risk? yes...what are the odds of finding a franchise QB not named Kirk Cousins....well its been about 40 years for us, so not good.

you look around the NFL and the winning teams seem to have no problem handing out money to QB's, and here come the jet fans rooting for a perennial 5 win team, bitching about paying a guy his market value.

12 hours ago, Lizard King said:

If the Jets don’t go out and build a monster O Line, Cousins won’t mean anything. 

This goes for any future QB coming. Even if we draft a young stud we don’t want to Andrew Luck him 

Funny how the team threw bryce petty to the wolves in both of his 'legit shots' and now when getting a high priced b we have to build the great wall of china for him.

Also the jets can pat themselves on the back for the great bates hire after they actually get him some players unlike the miracle work morton did last year with scrubs all over the place.

56 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Funny how the team threw bryce petty to the wolves in both of his 'legit shots' and now when getting a high priced b we have to build the great wall of china for him.

Also the jets can pat themselves on the back for the great bates hire after they actually get him some players unlike the miracle work morton did last year with scrubs all over the place.

So we should keep everything the same for our 2018 qb and Bates to see if they’re really any better than Petty and Morton? 

I don’t want to watch that.  

We’ll have a hundred million in cap space, the 6th overall pick and two picks in the second this offseason; we better get a qb and build the Great Wall for him to play behind.

I don’t care if it’s unfair to last years’ guys.

On 12/11/2017 at 7:56 AM, Paradis said:

I don't care how beefed up his Fitzpatrick stat line is, the guy never wins the big games. He's got more sex appeal than Brad Johnson, but I ain't paying Brad Johnson 20 something million. He's watched as 2016 QBs have walked by in the win column with less help in some cases. 

Fool's gold. 

If Brad Johnson played today, at his peak he'd probably be approaching $20M per. The market has moved. GMs can either be an Idzik, draw a line in the sand based on an expired valuation system and field a team of replacement-level players, or, they can accept the new reality and field a competitive team.

4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Not that the Jets realize this, but they can get good pretty quickly if they get a QB and build the great wall.  If I were Maccagnan, I would literally ignore everything else and just do those two things.

10 minutes ago, jgb said:

If Brad Johnson played today, at his peak he'd probably be approaching $20M per. The market has moved. GMs can either be an Idzik, draw a line in the sand based on an expired valuation system and field a team of replacement-level players, or, they can accept the new reality and field a competitive team.

Thats kind of a silly statement. Yes the bar has moved, and yes QB salaries continuously go up. Yes the SF contract creates a floor for a Cousins contract in THEORY. But just because, he is an above average QB, does not mean that there is any justification for paying him as the best QB in the NFL at any level. A smart team DOES create a line in the sand for every position, especially QB. For this Jets team, signing Cousins makes exactly zero sense. We could very easily be much worse next year than this year with our roster. The rebuild is very far from over, and in fact we are in such bad shape that signing Day1/Day2 type FA makes no sense either. We are 2 or 3 years away from truly fielding a competitive team as the holes we have are basically in all the most important slots (we are set at safety though), and it will take more than one draft to even address them along with a veritable slew of midrange FA signings, possible player trades, and hitting on at least a couple priority UDFAs. So we pay Cousins as highest QB in the NFL for next year, and Top 3 likely for 2 after that before he can make an impact? Just silly stupid for this team.

We have to find a QB in the draft. Must. It is the only path to true long term success in the NFL. And then couple that with a couple successful drafts where we build the player support structure for that QB. We really shouldn't even consider a defensive player in the first two rounds (with the exception of an elite PR) for the next two years, while we develop a QB.

Of course our organizational structure, the brain dead extension of Bowles, the inane firing of Morton, our Dumb and Dumberer owners, the fact that Toilet and Coffee will try and save their jobs, the fact the Jets ownership loves the big splash move, and they think the rebuild pain is already over, and the quest for continual mediocrity all point to the Jets signing Cousins. Thankfully I think we will fail as Arizona, Minnesota, Buffalo and Denver are ALL better landing spots for Cousins. And cap does not matter at all when it comes to signing a QB. Any team that wants him will find a way. It's all about guaranteed money, not when they money is paid. Having a huge cap number like the Jets can help the Jets shield themselves from a complete Cousins flop, but cap does not matter for any team in terms of signing him. 

2 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Thats kind of a silly statement. Yes the bar has moved, and yes QB salaries continuously go up. Yes the SF contract creates a floor for a Cousins contract in THEORY. But just because, he is an above average QB, does not mean that there is any justification for paying him as the best QB in the NFL at any level. A smart team DOES create a line in the sand for every position, especially QB. For this Jets team, signing Cousins makes exactly zero sense. We could very easily be much worse next year than this year with our roster. The rebuild is very far from over, and in fact we are in such bad shape that signing Day1/Day2 type FA makes no sense either. We are 2 or 3 years away from truly fielding a competitive team as the holes we have are basically in all the most important slots (we are set at safety though), and it will take more than one draft to even address them along with a veritable slew of midrange FA signings, possible player trades, and hitting on at least a couple priority UDFAs. So we pay Cousins as highest QB in the NFL for next year, and Top 3 likely for 2 after that before he can make an impact? Just silly stupid for this team.

We have to find a QB in the draft. Must. It is the only path to true long term success in the NFL. And then couple that with a couple successful drafts where we build the player support structure for that QB. We really shouldn't even consider a defensive player in the first two rounds (with the exception of an elite PR) for the next two years, while we develop a QB.

Of course our organizational structure, the brain dead extension of Bowles, the inane firing of Morton, our Dumb and Dumberer owners, the fact that Toilet and Coffee will try and save their jobs, the fact the Jets ownership loves the big splash move, and they think the rebuild pain is already over, and the quest for continual mediocrity all point to the Jets signing Cousins. Thankfully I think we will fail as Arizona, Minnesota, Buffalo and Denver are ALL better landing spots for Cousins. And cap does not matter at all when it comes to signing a QB. Any team that wants him will find a way. It's all about guaranteed money, not when they money is paid. Having a huge cap number like the Jets can help the Jets shield themselves from a complete Cousins flop, but cap does not matter for any team in terms of signing him. 

I'm not saying cousins is or isn't worth the money. My only point was comparing players from the past one has to consider what said player would likely earn in today's market. Brad Johnson today would be handsomely (and likely unwisely) paid.

3 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I was of your opinion for a while: we must find a quarterback in the draft, we should not sign Cousins, we're not a win-now team, Cousins is not elite but will command elite money.

The last two of those I still think are true; Cousins is not elite but will command elite money and we're not a win-now team.  The first two I've changed my mind on:

The whole "find a quarterback in the draft" stance for this year I've changed my mind on.  Look at where we pick.  The Browns (twice), Giants and Broncos all pick ahead of us and all need quarterbacks.  And look at the quarterbacks this year; I'm only interested in Rosen, Darnold (my 1st choice) and Mayfield.  With Lamarr Jackson I worry about injuries and sustainability.  With Josh Allen I worry about accuracy. 

And whatever happens, unfortunately for us, we cannot wait till after the draft to decide whether or not to pursue Cousins.  The only foreseeable move, if we wanted to draft one of those quarterbacks, is to trade into the top three well before the draft and guarantee ourselves one of them.  But that is imprecise (unless we traded to #1) and unrealistic; imprecise because we cannot guarantee ourselves the player we want until we know who's available at said pick on draft day and unrealistic because most draft-day trades occur on draft day.  And if we did trade for the first overall, it'd be expensive.  There are scenarios where the price would be right, for me at least, to trade for the Browns first overall (and possibly realistic for them considering they pick @ 4 as well and that could soften the blow for them), but I definitely cannot endorse any type of RGIII trade (3 1st rounders and a 2nd rounder) and that may well be what it costs in a bidding war.  Or the Browns could just say ‘f*** you we're not trading the pick; we're taking the QB we like the most first overall’.  That's really the smart move.  

That brings me to Cousins. He's not elite.  I only count a handful of quarterbacks as elite and he's not one of them.  But he is top 1/3 of the league, that's for sure.  Statistically, he's done very well.  And it's not like the Redskins are some great franchise loaded with talent.  They've got some pieces: Trent Williams(when healthy), Jordan Reed (when healthy) and Brandon Scherff.  But they're not so different from us.  Plus we've got three draft picks in the top 50 this year, one being the sixth overall and between sixty and seventy million dollars in cap space after we sign Cousins to a massive deal.  And we don't have to spend it all this year.  Cousins is thirty - we should expect at least five more good years.  That gives us time to build around him.  

We all want the Jets to draft the next Rodgers or the next Carson Wentz.  And if we were drafting in the top three this year I'd say sure, forget about Cousins, let's see what we can get.  But we're not.  We're pick six and three teams ahead of us need a quarterback; one of them has two picks before us.  Unless we trade up we're not getting remotely our choice of quarterback and we can't plan for one to fall, much less plan for the one we want to fall.

The only logical move to do right now is to pursue Cousins.   If he chooses another team or wants to do some type of cap % deal (and we rightfully respond 'f*** off') then we go to plan B; look to trade up for a quarterback in the draft.  If that fails, whether the price is too steep or the player we thought worth it is gone, then we're re-signing Josh McCown and going into next season with a bottle of jack next to the remote.  

41 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I was of your opinion for a while: we must find a quarterback in the draft, we should not sign Cousins, we're not a win-now team, Cousins is not elite but will command elite money.

The last two of those I still think are true; Cousins is not elite but will command elite money and we're not a win-now team.  The first two I've changed my mind on:

The whole "find a quarterback in the draft" stance for this year I've changed my mind on.  Look at where we pick.  The Browns (twice), Giants and Broncos all pick ahead of us and all need quarterbacks.  And look at the quarterbacks this year; I'm only interested in Rosen, Darnold (my 1st choice) and Mayfield.  With Lamarr Jackson I worry about injuries and sustainability.  With Josh Allen I worry about accuracy. 

And whatever happens, unfortunately for us, we cannot wait till after the draft to decide whether or not to pursue Cousins.  The only foreseeable move, if we wanted to draft one of those quarterbacks, is to trade into the top three well before the draft and guarantee ourselves one of them.  But that is imprecise (unless we traded to #1) and unrealistic; imprecise because we cannot guarantee ourselves the player we want until we know who's available at said pick on draft day and unrealistic because most draft-day trades occur on draft day.  And if we did trade for the first overall; it'd be expensive.  There are scenarios where the price would be right, for me at least, to trade for the Browns first overall (and possibly realistic for them considering they pick @ 4 as well and that could soften the blow for them), but I definitely cannot endorse any type of RGIII trade (3 1st rounders and a 2nd rounder) and that may well be what it costs in a bidding war.  Or the Browns could just say f*** you we're not trading the pick; we're taking the QB we like the most first overall.  That's really the smart move.  

That brings me to Cousins. He's not elite.  I only count a handful of quarterbacks as elite and he's not one of them.  But he is top 1/3 of the league, that's for sure.  Statistically, he's done very well.  And it's not like the Redskins are some great franchise loaded with talent.  They've got some pieces: Trent Williams(when healthy), Jordan Reed (when healthy) and Brandon Scherff.  But they're not so different from us.  Plus we've got three draft picks in the top 50 this year, one being the sixth overall and between sixty and seventy million dollars in cap space after we sign Cousins to a massive deal.  And we don't have to spend it all this year.  Cousins is thirty - we should expect at least five more good years.  That gives us time to build around him.  

We all want the Jets to draft the next Rodgers or the next Carson Wentz.  And if we were drafting in the top three this year I'd say sure, forget about Cousins, let's see what we can get.  But we're not.  We're pick six and three teams ahead of us need a quarterback; one of them has two picks before us.  Unless we trade up we're not getting remotely our choice of quarterback and we can't plan for one to fall, much less plan for the one we want to fall.

The only logical move to do right now is to pursue Cousins.   If he chooses another team or wants to do some type of cap % deal (and we rightfully respond 'f*** off') then we go to plan B; look to trade up for a quarterback in the draft.  If that fails, whether the price is too steep or the player we thought worth it is gone, then we're re-signing Josh McCown and going into next season with a bottle of jack next to the remote.  

McCarron is a free agent. Why not hedge your bets with him? He would certainly be cheaper. Trading up is fine if you believe the guy is a franchise guy even for RGIII capital. I suspect with so many great QB candidates I think evaluations will be all over the place and QBs will fall. I strongly believe one of the big QBs will be there at 6. I just dont see Cousins as worth it, especially if you pursue him out of fear of being shut out.

Archived