Thoughts on Bryce Petty ?

Maxman

Petty hasn't played all year. So it is understandable that he would be rusty. Hopefully he is much better next week. Today was a train wreck all around, but generally speaking that is a spot where a backup can come in and complete some passes.

That stat line is going to leave a mark.

The only thing that concerns me more than how bad (inaccurate) he looked is that Hackenberg must be worse in practice. Because Petty is ahead of him on the depth chart.

This organization is going to have to look at everything in the offseason. Coaches, GM, Scouting.

Josh McCown just got hurt and there is a considerable drop off in QB play. Scariest thing I have ever written.

petty.PNG

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bryce Petty had 0 reps with the first team this week for that I give him a pass in todays performance, if he continues to play the the way he did then you open the door for Christian Hackenberg to start the last 2 games no ifs ands or buts. 

Evaluate the all the QB's and make an educated decision going into next season 

How are you supposed to feel when the Coach calls like 10 straight run plays to end the game instead of letting you get some reps throwing the ball, the HC QUIT once McCown was hurt if I’m Petty I’m like why even have me here, Bowles is a really bad in game HC like worst I’ve ever seen.

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Bryce Petty had 0 reps with the first team this week for that I give him a pass in todays performance, if he continues to play the the way he did then you open the door for Christian Hackenberg to start the last 2 games no ifs ands or buts. 

I'm with you. Hopefully it gets better for Petty. If he plays like that, he is going to start one game and that will be the last time he plays in the league. That is how bad today was. 2 of 9 and the game was already over.

I agree but some of those throws to open WR’s were pretty bad regardless of who he practiced with. Let’s hope he shows something over the next few games.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

They've done nothing to prepare this kid and when they've sent him out to actually play in game action, they've never placed him in a situation where he could succeed.

I really hope they cut him and he can move on to another team that can work with him.

Just now, RoadFan said:

The book on Bryce Petty has not been written yet.

The book might be lousy,  but I want to read another chapter or two before deciding. 

That is definitely what is going to happen. I said it all year, McCown was going to get hurt at some point. Then Petty and Hack will both play.

Petty has his shot. Hopefully he makes the most of it. There is nothing he can do at this point to realistically win the job for next year. I think where the bar is at this point is they (Petty and Hack) are trying to prove they can be a long term backup. Sad actually.

I would never root for McCown to get hurt. The guy gave a ton to this franchise this year. I do hope this ends any talk of him coming back next season. He is going to be 39 and won't be any more durable. Great story for McCown. Now let the kids write their stories like you said about Petty.

8 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Why would a backup QB get 0 reps?  Makes no sense to me.  QBs in the NFL get hurt with regularity.  And McCown has a history of getting injured. 

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Why would a backup QB get 0 reps?  Makes no sense to me.  QBs in the NFL get hurt with regularity.  And McCown has a history of getting injured. 

That's on Bowles. Hell he doesn't adjust his game plan in game so why should it surprise anyone that he didn't make some kind of back-up plan if McCown was injured?

Many backups have gotten off the bench cold and played well 

The troubling part was the really poor throws to open receivers with a good pocket, maybe 3 of those I saw

Playing in Denver against that defense is very tough, so he gets a pass to a degree. 

9 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

How are you supposed to feel when the Coach calls like 10 straight run plays to end the game instead of letting you get some reps throwing the ball, the HC QUIT once McCown was hurt if I’m Petty I’m like why even have me here, Bowles is a really bad in game HC like worst I’ve ever seen.

I missed the game but that's absurd!  Bowles is afraid to let Petty throw passes down 23 points?!  And in a season that is already lost?!  I mean what would be the worst that could happen?  He'd throw INTs?  Embarrassingly bad incompletions?  WHO CARES!  There are 3 more games left.  Is Bowles going to call plays like we saw in Army/Navy yesterday for the rest of the season?  Take the diapers off these guys and let them play.  And I'll be pissed if they sign someone to be the backup and leave Hack inactive the rest of the way.  I absolutely want to see Hack at some point.  I don't care how bad he is.  Let's see what (if anything) he's learned in almost 2 full seasons here.

I know the popular theory is that Petty looked like shyt because he didnt get any reps....well I dont know if he didnt get any or if he just played poorly because he wasn't prepared to play. We LOVE to blame the coach for everything on here but the reality is that he made some piss poor throw that has nothing to do with reps, they were just flat out BAD. Reminded me of that game that Vick had to come in and play and he looked woefully unprepared and then later admitted that he didnt bother preparing that week because he didnt think he was going to play. Maybe the coaches decided to run the ball because Petty looked horrible, inaccurate and simply couldnt execute even the simplest plays given to him. There was no sense in trying to go vertical or trying some new things when he couldnt handle even the basic shyt given to him to do. 

One knock on Petty has been that he is slow to grasp the NFL play book...can anyone here honestly say that anything he has shown last year (excluding preseason) or this one, he has given anyone any reason to believe that has changed? Put aside your favoritism for the kid, stop making excuses and be real. Ask yourself......has this kid looked like an NFL QB whenever he has played in a real game last year or this one, with reps or not? Every team in the nfl has a backup come in with limited reps and we never see anyone look as shytty as Petty did today. 

I'm not a Petty hater, hell I dont care which QB finally makes us a perennial winner....but I have seen nothing but wishes and arguements from posters to make me think it might be this kid. 

I'm prejudiced by the two practices I saw him in herein he had the control of Oliver Perez and the arm strength of Mike Taliaferro but I think that there is no way this guy is an NFL QB, backup and otherwise and needs to be dropped as soon as feasible. If it gives any fan of Petty some comfort, the wife says that I am always wrong and since she is always right ... 

25 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Unfortunately, I don't think having reps with the first team has anything to do with how bad he was missing receivers today.  I mean, my god, I make harder throws in my flag football games. 

20 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

The book on Bryce Petty has not been written yet.

The book might be lousy,  but I want to read another chapter or two before deciding. 

My thoughts exactly.

Im not expecting him to look like Brees out there, I do think he will settle in and mature a bit though.

22 minutes ago, peebag said:

They've done nothing to prepare this kid and when they've sent him out to actually play in game action, they've never placed him in a situation where he could succeed.

I really hope they cut him and he can move on to another team that can work with him.

21 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

18 minutes ago, jetsons said:

That's why this coaching staff needs to be shown door...  STAT!!!

He should have been getting reps one day of the week at the very least.  Sad.

16 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

I am willing to see what Petty looks like with more reps. Hopefully he looks like the guy in the pre-season and not like the guy he was today. I think he will be better but I don't expect much.

Not sure they are going to let him play against third stringers though.  :)

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

Unfortunately, I don't think having reps with the first team has anything to do with how bad he was missing receivers today.  I mean, my god, I make harder throws in my flag football games. 

You said hard.

2 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Hey he can't be as bad as today. Well on second thought.......

I would assume he would get better. The thing is that is the easiest he will have it. Petty is going to face the Saints, a Chargers team with everything on the line and the Patriots.

The game was over today when he came in. Against a team that lost 8 in a row. Nothing he could have done today could have helped the Jets win. I just thought he could put up some #s to make Bowles look bad for not playing him all year.

I don't get criticism of Bowles for not playing Petty this year. He played McCown because he played well. If he hadn't played well he would have gone to Petty. I'm just surprised McCown lasted so long. I never thought he wouldn't get injured this year. This is Petty's chance. If he is lights out he wins the job. The team is actually except for today ok. The defense didn't play that bad. 

12 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I would assume he would get better. The thing is that is the easiest he will have it. Petty is going to face the Saints, a Chargers team with everything on the line and the Patriots.

The game was over today when he came in. Against a team that lost 8 in a row. Nothing he could have done today could have helped the Jets win. I just thought he could put up some #s to make Bowles look bad for not playing him all year.

Bottom line is he had an opportunity today ans he blew it.  He gets another next week.  If he doesnt flash next in line.

Archived