Thoughts on Bryce Petty ?

Maxman

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, JiF said:

Unfortunately, I don't think having reps with the first team has anything to do with how bad he was missing receivers today.  I mean, my god, I make harder throws in my flag football games. 

Nonsense!

If you only throw passes to 2nd stringers in practice, it is impossible to throw them to 1st stringers in a game.  Everyone knows this.

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

How are you supposed to feel when the Coach calls like 10 straight run plays to end the game instead of letting you get some reps throwing the ball, the HC QUIT once McCown was hurt if I’m Petty I’m like why even have me here, Bowles is a really bad in game HC like worst I’ve ever seen.

Bowles quit before halftime.  And Petty is a young QB that is obviously not being developed for anything other than holding a clipboard. Hopefully he looks better with a week of practice and a gameplan designed for him. 

And yes Bowles is. Horrible in game. He needs to be fired. He also should spend his free time playing the coaching mode on the “all madden” setting 

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Bryce Petty had 0 reps with the first team this week for that I give him a pass in todays performance, if he continues to play the the way he did then you open the door for Christian Hackenberg to start the last 2 games no ifs ands or buts. 

Evaluate the all the QB's and make an educated decision going into next season 

Petty has been on this team 3 years and started 4 games. So when is enough enough for you 

18 minutes ago, hawk said:

Bottom line is he had an opportunity today ans he blew it.  He gets another next week.  If he doesnt flash next in line.

Really? That was some opportunity. Team already quit and was down by 23. Haters gonna hate.

Just now, kevinc855 said:

Petty gets a pass for being on th team for 3 years and starting 4 games. These petty apologists are blind

The offensive line was horrible, wasn’t that your excuse for McCown. I guess it doesn’t work both ways. 

44 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I don't get criticism of Bowles for not playing Petty this year. He played McCown because he played well. If he hadn't played well he would have gone to Petty. I'm just surprised McCown lasted so long. I never thought he wouldn't get injured this year. This is Petty's chance. If he is lights out he wins the job. The team is actually except for today ok. The defense didn't play that bad. 

Some people will just criticize him no matter what decision he makes, such is life as a Jets fan

Some people will just criticize him no matter what decision he makes, such is life as a Jets fan

lol. McCown is 38 and this was a non-playoff team. Everyone could see this. We gained nothing by starting him this deep into the season other than it helped give Robby Anderson a nice season.

The problem isn’t just that we failed to get Petty in until now. It’s that we also have failed to even activate Hackenberg. You can’t move from one to the other without progressing. Sure, they probably both suck bigtime. But unlike McCown, Hackenberg will be under contract here thru 2019. What upside was there to start McCown and not move through the depth chart in an otherwise mostly meaningless season?

This GM and coaching staff signed off on using 2 picks on QBs. It’s not like they were both here THEN our GM and coach showed up. And sometimes you need guys to see the field. Practice isn’t always enough to fully evaluate them. Especially since NFL practices no longer simulate game action quite like they used to.

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

lol. McCown is 38 and this was a non-playoff team. Everyone could see this. We gained nothing by starting him this deep into the season other than it helped give Robby Anderson a nice season.

The problem isn’t just that we failed to get Petty in until now. It’s that we also have failed to even activate Hackenberg. You can’t move from one to the other without progressing. Sure, they probably both suck bigtime. But unlike McCown, Hackenberg will be under contract here thru 2019. What upside was there to start McCown and not move through the depth chart in an otherwise mostly meaningless season?

This GM and coaching staff signed off on using 2 picks on QBs. It’s not like they were both here THEN our GM and coach showed up. And sometimes you need guys to see the field. Practice isn’t always enough to fully evaluate them. Especially since NFL practices no longer simulate game action quite like they used to.

I still think it made sense to gauge the rest of the team. We'll see over the last 3 weeks of either QB can play reasonably well to the point where it would have made sense playing them. I'll hold off my criticism for after week 17. If we can't generate any offense the next 3 games then the coaching staff was correct in starting McCown.

We saw it last year with Petty he plays better when they let him air out and throw deep. Bowles threw in the towel and gave up instead of letting this Kid get some real reps in. Bowles ******* sucks I hope he's gone. We could land a real coach with our market,cap space next year and somewhat high pick. We'll end up sticking with this Blowjob though 

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

I would assume he would get better. The thing is that is the easiest he will have it. Petty is going to face the Saints, a Chargers team with everything on the line and the Patriots.

The game was over today when he came in. Against a team that lost 8 in a row. Nothing he could have done today could have helped the Jets win. I just thought he could put up some #s to make Bowles look bad for not playing him all year.

Bowles was not going to give Petty that chance. At least IMO. I figure what we saw in the latter stages of the Broncos game is going to be what we will see in the remaining 3 games on offense. Bowles obviously has no confidence in Petty and that may or may not be justified. I just don't expect to see much difference in play calling from here on out. Don't get me wrong I would love to see Petty light it up in these final games but I just don't think Bowles will let that happen.

Bowles was not going to give Petty that chance. At least IMO. I figure what we saw in the latter stages of the Broncos game is going to be what we will see in the remaining 3 games on offense. Bowles obviously has no confidence in Petty and that may or may not be justified. I just don't expect to see much difference in play calling from here on out. Don't get me wrong I would love to see Petty light it up in these final games but I just don't think Bowles will let that happen.
Lol. That's a 2nd gunman level conspiracy theory right there.

Bowles wants to win games and keep his job and continue to make millions of dollars. That's his motivation. If Bryce Petty could make him millions of dollars he will be all for it.

Petty was 1 of 8 when he came in the 2nd time. Bowles doesn't call the plays but I'm assuming Morton and bowls talked and said let's just pull the plug on this and keep everyone healthy for next week and try again.

It is not hard to rack up some meaningless yards though against the prevent defense late in the 4th quarter.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

We saw it last year with Petty he plays better when they let him air out and throw deep. Bowles threw in the towel and gave up instead of letting this Kid get some real reps in. Bowles ******* sucks I hope he's gone. We could land a real coach with our market,cap space next year and somewhat high pick. We'll end up sticking with this Blowjob though 
Ownership has never wanted to pay a real Coach. So we hire first-year coaches over and over and over and over and over again.

7 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Bowles wants to win games and keep his job and continue to make millions of dollars. That's his motivation. If Bryce Petty could make him millions of dollars he will be all for it.

Petty was 1 of 8 when he came in the 2nd time. Bowles doesn't call the plays but I'm assuming Morton and bowls talked and said let's just pull the plug on this and keep everyone healthy for next week and try again.

It is not hard to rack up some meaningless yards though against the prevent defense late in the 4th quarter.

Hey I hope your right I truly do. I just get the feeling that Bowles actually thinks he is safe with his performance so far and will keep the game plan as simple as possible. Do I think Bowles is actually conspiring against him? Not really but I don't expect much in terms of offense in the coming weeks. It's just skeptic in me I guess.

12 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Ownership has never wanted to pay a real Coach. So we hire first-year coaches over and over and over and over and over again.

Well Mac is bringing in Bill O’Brien next year — not a first year coach so boo yeah

19 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Minor factor.  Anderson dropped a very catchable ball on the first pass when he was back in.  ASJ then got mugged on a crosser which didn't count as an incomplete but also wasn't a catch it could have been.  After that there were some very bad misses for sure.  Some of that could just be communication issues that will hopefully not be there next week assuming Bowles doesn't try to roll an injured McCown back out there.  I think next week, despite the very tough opponent, will give us a much better read on Petty.  I don't expect a lot against NO, but I expect more accurate passes and hopefully WRs and TEs that hold onto them. 

Of course, we may start taking a knee with 12 minutes left in the 1st half so who knows...

2 hours ago, usapaw said:

So the game plan and Josh McCown showed us that the team is still not very good. Let's see if Petty has anything and if not...next.  This is a blessing.

Today was painful to watch but I agree it gives us a chance to look at Petty and Hack. We are going 5-11 and the next 3 games are going to be ugly but it should give Macc a reality check on the QB situation and a better draft position. 

1 minute ago, nycdan said:

Minor factor.  Anderson dropped a very catchable ball on the first pass when he was back in.  ASJ then got mugged on a crosser which didn't count as an incomplete but also wasn't a catch it could have been.  After that there were some very bad misses for sure.  Some of that could just be communication issues that will hopefully not be there next week assuming Bowles doesn't try to roll an injured McCown back out there.  I think next week, despite the very tough opponent, will give us a much better read on Petty.  I don't expect a lot against NO, but I expect more accurate passes and hopefully WRs and TEs that hold onto them. 

Of course, we may start taking a knee with 12 minutes left in the 1st half so who knows...

I am rooting for him. I just don't see it based on last year primarily.  But I hope he does well.

Considering Petty's injury history and how bad this OLine is, I think a more realistic option is that Hack sees the field as well this year.

It would be nice to get them both some snaps. Some stories to tell their kids about. Then cut them both and move on lol.

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Blame the GM who drafted Petty. And the owner who hired Macc.

Sadly, we can’t fire the owner...

I don't get some of you. Do you really think Petty was drafted to be the franchise QB in the 4th round? If he becomes a quality 2nd string QB I'd be happy

Archived