Thoughts on Bryce Petty ?

Maxman

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, billo83 said:

I didn't know 4th rounders were franchise QB's either. Perfect place to find a quality backup though, which is what Petty should be

51 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

I didn’t know 4th round picks were meant to be throwaways

Jets front office was feeling the heat for blowing Russel Wilson pic. Idiots making fun of 1 of our top scouts for wanting Wilson bad. So they took a flier on petty. Jets are always a day late, dollar short type of franchise ha.

I didn't know 4th rounders were franchise QB's either. Perfect place to find a quality backup though, which is what Petty should be

The Petty pick would be fine if he hadn’t failed so spectacularly with the Hackenberg selection.

Not to mention he went the veteran journeyman route not once but twice.

Macc inspires zero confidence when it comes to the most important position on the field. Does that help you “get” the criticism?

Need a larger sample size, but I can see a bit of why Petty is behind McCown on the depth chart. He was behind on a few of his throws- his timing is a little off compared to the elder statesmen. That's a bit of a problem in the Jet's current offensive scheme.

He's not unsalvageable, maybe the right preparation is all he'll need to be as effective as McCown, but the whole idea that he is what he is seems to be holding up from what (very) little I've seen of him.

We're bound to get somewhat talented but flawed QB's like Petty if we ascribe to the QB a year philosophy.

5 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Bryce Petty had 0 reps with the first team this week for that I give him a pass in todays performance, if he continues to play the the way he did then you open the door for Christian Hackenberg to start the last 2 games no ifs ands or buts. 

Evaluate the all the QB's and make an educated decision going into next season 

Petty looked sh*t. No other way to put it. And when you think about Hack being the 3rd stringer, do you really think Hack is worth trotting out there? He’s only on the team cuz he was a 2nd rounder. If he was a 7th rounder, he would’ve been first in the unemployment line long time ago. 

9 hours ago, jetspenguin said:

I know the popular theory is that Petty looked like shyt because he didnt get any reps....well I dont know if he didnt get any or if he just played poorly because he wasn't prepared to play. We LOVE to blame the coach for everything on here but the reality is that he made some piss poor throw that has nothing to do with reps, they were just flat out BAD. Reminded me of that game that Vick had to come in and play and he looked woefully unprepared and then later admitted that he didnt bother preparing that week because he didnt think he was going to play. Maybe the coaches decided to run the ball because Petty looked horrible, inaccurate and simply couldnt execute even the simplest plays given to him. There was no sense in trying to go vertical or trying some new things when he couldnt handle even the basic shyt given to him to do. 

One knock on Petty has been that he is slow to grasp the NFL play book...can anyone here honestly say that anything he has shown last year (excluding preseason) or this one, he has given anyone any reason to believe that has changed? Put aside your favoritism for the kid, stop making excuses and be real. Ask yourself......has this kid looked like an NFL QB whenever he has played in a real game last year or this one, with reps or not? Every team in the nfl has a backup come in with limited reps and we never see anyone look as shytty as Petty did today. 

I'm not a Petty hater, hell I dont care which QB finally makes us a perennial winner....but I have seen nothing but wishes and arguements from posters to make me think it might be this kid. 

THIS!!  End the thread right here.  This post is spot on.

6 hours ago, billo83 said:

So why draft Petty at all then?  You can sign a serviceable backup qb with a nothing contract off the street.  Macagnan is awful

4 hours ago, j4jets said:

Petty looked sh*t. No other way to put it. And when you think about Hack being the 3rd stringer, do you really think Hack is worth trotting out there? He’s only on the team cuz he was a 2nd rounder. If he was a 7th rounder, he would’ve been first in the unemployment line long time ago. 

I think the breaking point is coming for this regime next 3 weeks

The guy is a camp arm and a preseason player.  He doesn't seem to understand the depths of a playbook, reading defenses or how to play when going up against anything that isn't completely vanilla coverage.  Setting protections, snapcount, command of a huddle and a pocket are all completely missing from his repertoire.

You could see that he was already panicking after a few touches, and his feet were beginning to shuffle and he locked onto his first read every time.  These are symptoms of a QB that is out of his depth and hasn't had the reps to get comfortable with much of anything.

I think it would take 4-5 years of starting to get Mr Petty the reps he needed to be just average in those areas, and I dont think many NFL teams have that sort of time they're willing to invest.  

3 minutes ago, Hael said:

The guy is a camp arm and a preseason player.  He doesn't seem to understand the depths of a playbook, reading defenses or how to play when going up against anything that isn't completely vanilla coverage.  Setting protections, snapcount, command of a huddle and a pocket are all completely missing from his repertoire.

You could see that he was already panicking after a few touches, and his feet were beginning to shuffle and he locked onto his first read every time.  These are symptoms of a QB that is out of his depth and hasn't had the reps to get comfortable with much of anything.

I think it would take 4-5 years of starting to get Mr Petty the reps he needed to be just average in those areas, and I dont think many NFL teams have that sort of time they're willing to invest.  

Exactly

Petty is Brett Ratliff

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Exactly

Petty is Brett Ratliff

If thats the case we move on...until we see Petty and Hackenberg both in action this season we have a mess and no plan at QB for next season. 

No more old journeyman please, they play hard they win games but they aren't the answer to this teams QB needs and wants of a Super Bowl. 

11 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

This is Bryce's third year in the NFL and the Jets coaching staff treated him like he was an undrafted rookie FA from a division III school.

Pretty much sums it up.  I had hopes that Petty would come around, but it appears obvious the coaching staff had already abandoned hope for Petty a long time ago.  He must be a nice guy whom they plan to offer a nice position somewhere in the Jets organization to after the season, because they sure as hell don't look like they ever want him to play QB.

See, and this is kind of a big problem.  If Petty is no better than a "camp arm", which very well could the case....why not elevate Hackenberg to the # 2 job so we can cut to the chase?

Yeah, Hack may also be somehow worse than a "camp arm".  He might be a "Cut from the CFL arm".  But if you know what you have in Petty and have less of an idea what you have in Hackenberg, but also have more invested in Hack.... then that should be the "tiebreaker".  We need Hackenberg to be the next guy in line, whether he's ready or not.  It's been nearly 2 seasons, yet here he is not even getting activated on gameday.  

And if your GM is using a 4th rounder on a "camp arm" and a 2nd rounder on a "cut from the CFL arm"....good God.  Why does this guy get to have one of the 32 most important positions in a $14B business?

Remember, the Cowboys used a 4th round pick on Dak Prescott.  A draft where we had every opportunity to take Prescott.  This assumption that every 4th round QB draft choice should be assumed to have  no chance at being a starter is a complete fallacy.  Sure, it's VERY rare to find a QB outside of the 1st round, much less in the 4th or later.  But this idea that Macc made a "give up" pick in the 4th just to fill the # 2/3 job means he is an absolute idiot.  Every pick matters.  Every pick needs to made with a player's ceiling in mind.  And if that ceiling is "backup", look elsewhere, and pick that type of guy up off of the UDFA pile.  

Petty stinks

Hack stinks

Bowles stinks

Macc stinks

All four things can be true and everyone can be right.  We'll see if there is any difference this Sunday, but we're not holding our breath.  Again, for me, the big issue is Macc's QB evaluation skills.  That is the regime's ultimate Achilles Heal.

14 hours ago, Maxman said:

Ownership has never wanted to pay a real Coach. So we hire first-year coaches over and over and over and over and over again.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Hearing some fans saying we should fire Bowles and promote Morton must be music to their ears. I mean, after 6 years as a position coach the guy's had 13 whole games as an NFL coordinator. This qualifies him to be a HC in Jetsland. 

• Herm = 0 seasons NFL experience as a coordinator; none as a HC at any level
  • Mangini = 1 season NFL experience as a coordinator; none as a HC at any level
  • Rex = 4 seasons NFL experience as a coordinator; none as a HC at any level
  • Bowles = 2+ seasons NFL experience as a coordinator; none as a HC at any level*
  • Morton = 1 season NFL experience as a coordinator; none as a HC at any level

What could possibly go wrong?

* (Bowles did coach 10 horrid games as DC for Reid after he was promoted to DC during a bye week. Results: 1 game surrendering 21 pts and 9 games surrendering 28-42. Also 3 games as interim HC after Miami fired Sparano)

22 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Bryce Petty had 0 reps with the first team this week for that I give him a pass in todays performance

Our punter Tom Tupa had 0 reps with the first, 2nd, or 3rd team when Vinny went down on opening day against NE.

That day Tupa went 6-10 for 165 yards and 2 TD's.

Yesterday Petty went 2-9 for 14 yards.

3 minutes ago, Pac said:

Our punter Tom Tupa had 0 reps with the first, 2nd, or 3rd team when Vinny went down on opening day against NE.

That day Tupa went 6-10 for 165 yards and 2 TD's.

Yesterday Petty went 2-9 for 14 yards.

Tupa was a 3rd rd pick by the Cards as a QB in the 1988 draft so at least he played QB before..

18 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The Petty pick would be fine if he hadn’t failed so spectacularly with the Hackenberg selection.

Not to mention he went the veteran journeyman route not once but twice.

Macc inspires zero confidence when it comes to the most important position on the field. Does that help you “get” the criticism?

Petty has played numerous games exhibiting a steady level of suck.  That's a "fine" selection.

Hack, who hasn't yet played any games and was a mid 2nd round pick is "spectacular failure". 

and you wonder why I take none of what you guys say seriously.

I'll be looking for you when the Macc extension thread pops up.

12 hours ago, Philc1 said:

I think the breaking point is coming for this regime next 3 weeks

Well I certainly hope so. I'm sick and tired of hearing how Mac drafted Adams and Leo. Did u see how that garbage Semen looked like Manning in his prime? Mismanaging resources. And some folks like to call it "BPA". Yeah, like thats worked for us. 

While Bowles has downgraded Petty through public slights; this is what one player feels about Petty.  He seems to believe in Petty...

Take a look...

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/bryce-petty-chance-prove-belongs-jets-article-1.3692222?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+NydnRss+(Top+Stories+-+NY+Daily+News)

"I have all the confidence in the world in Bryce," center Wesley Johnson said Monday. "He's great in the huddle, he's great in the locker room and I know he works hard. He prepares like a starter every week, so I'm not worried about him at all. I'm actually excited for the opportunity that he could get."

Or.....

"His energy is high," wide receiver Jermaine Kearse said. "His presence in the huddle is there. He has the ability to make tough throws and be able to extend the play. I think that's one thing that's going to come in handy for us."

9 hours ago, SMC said:

Petty stinks

Hack stinks

Bowles stinks

Macc stinks

All four things can be true and everyone can be right.  We'll see if there is any difference this Sunday, but we're not holding our breath.  Again, for me, the big issue is Macc's QB evaluation skills

Can’t wait til all 4 of those losers are gone forever

And Mac’s qb evaluation skills rival Tommy Wiseau directing skills

2 hours ago, j4jets said:

Well I certainly hope so. I'm sick and tired of hearing how Mac drafted Adams and Leo. Did u see how that garbage Semen looked like Manning in his prime? Mismanaging resources. And some folks like to call it "BPA". Yeah, like thats worked for us. 

Siemian the same guy who threw 3 picks the week before and has stunk the entire season this vaunted defense spearheaded by all-pros Leo and Jamal Adams made him look like Tom Brady

But it’s all Bowles’ fault

10 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Can’t wait til all 4 of those losers are gone forever

And Mac’s qb evaluation skills rival Tommy Wiseau directing skills

I really really hope that you are right concerning Petty because if Bowles and you are wrong, and Petty ends up being pretty good, than Bowles and the entire Jets management team is so incompetent that they should be fired immediately....

Archived