Sign in to follow this  
Maxman

Thoughts on Bryce Petty ?

Rate this topic

Bowles was not going to give Petty that chance. At least IMO. I figure what we saw in the latter stages of the Broncos game is going to be what we will see in the remaining 3 games on offense. Bowles obviously has no confidence in Petty and that may or may not be justified. I just don't expect to see much difference in play calling from here on out. Don't get me wrong I would love to see Petty light it up in these final games but I just don't think Bowles will let that happen.
Lol. That's a 2nd gunman level conspiracy theory right there.

Bowles wants to win games and keep his job and continue to make millions of dollars. That's his motivation. If Bryce Petty could make him millions of dollars he will be all for it.

Petty was 1 of 8 when he came in the 2nd time. Bowles doesn't call the plays but I'm assuming Morton and bowls talked and said let's just pull the plug on this and keep everyone healthy for next week and try again.

It is not hard to rack up some meaningless yards though against the prevent defense late in the 4th quarter.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

We saw it last year with Petty he plays better when they let him air out and throw deep. Bowles threw in the towel and gave up instead of letting this Kid get some real reps in. Bowles ******* sucks I hope he's gone. We could land a real coach with our market,cap space next year and somewhat high pick. We'll end up sticking with this Blowjob though 
Ownership has never wanted to pay a real Coach. So we hire first-year coaches over and over and over and over and over again.

7 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Bowles wants to win games and keep his job and continue to make millions of dollars. That's his motivation. If Bryce Petty could make him millions of dollars he will be all for it.

Petty was 1 of 8 when he came in the 2nd time. Bowles doesn't call the plays but I'm assuming Morton and bowls talked and said let's just pull the plug on this and keep everyone healthy for next week and try again.

It is not hard to rack up some meaningless yards though against the prevent defense late in the 4th quarter.

Hey I hope your right I truly do. I just get the feeling that Bowles actually thinks he is safe with his performance so far and will keep the game plan as simple as possible. Do I think Bowles is actually conspiring against him? Not really but I don't expect much in terms of offense in the coming weeks. It's just skeptic in me I guess.

12 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Ownership has never wanted to pay a real Coach. So we hire first-year coaches over and over and over and over and over again.

Well Mac is bringing in Bill O’Brien next year — not a first year coach so boo yeah

19 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Minor factor.  Anderson dropped a very catchable ball on the first pass when he was back in.  ASJ then got mugged on a crosser which didn't count as an incomplete but also wasn't a catch it could have been.  After that there were some very bad misses for sure.  Some of that could just be communication issues that will hopefully not be there next week assuming Bowles doesn't try to roll an injured McCown back out there.  I think next week, despite the very tough opponent, will give us a much better read on Petty.  I don't expect a lot against NO, but I expect more accurate passes and hopefully WRs and TEs that hold onto them. 

Of course, we may start taking a knee with 12 minutes left in the 1st half so who knows...

2 hours ago, usapaw said:

So the game plan and Josh McCown showed us that the team is still not very good. Let's see if Petty has anything and if not...next.  This is a blessing.

Today was painful to watch but I agree it gives us a chance to look at Petty and Hack. We are going 5-11 and the next 3 games are going to be ugly but it should give Macc a reality check on the QB situation and a better draft position. 

1 minute ago, nycdan said:

Minor factor.  Anderson dropped a very catchable ball on the first pass when he was back in.  ASJ then got mugged on a crosser which didn't count as an incomplete but also wasn't a catch it could have been.  After that there were some very bad misses for sure.  Some of that could just be communication issues that will hopefully not be there next week assuming Bowles doesn't try to roll an injured McCown back out there.  I think next week, despite the very tough opponent, will give us a much better read on Petty.  I don't expect a lot against NO, but I expect more accurate passes and hopefully WRs and TEs that hold onto them. 

Of course, we may start taking a knee with 12 minutes left in the 1st half so who knows...

I am rooting for him. I just don't see it based on last year primarily.  But I hope he does well.

Considering Petty's injury history and how bad this OLine is, I think a more realistic option is that Hack sees the field as well this year.

It would be nice to get them both some snaps. Some stories to tell their kids about. Then cut them both and move on lol.

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Blame the GM who drafted Petty. And the owner who hired Macc.

Sadly, we can’t fire the owner...

I don't get some of you. Do you really think Petty was drafted to be the franchise QB in the 4th round? If he becomes a quality 2nd string QB I'd be happy

This will be a good 3 game audition for Petty.. good to see the comparison between Mccown.  To answer the OP question I don't see the future with Petty but a good back up to have.

Just now, billo83 said:

I don't get some of you. Do you really think Petty was drafted to be the franchise QB in the 4th round? If he becomes a quality 2nd string QB I'd be happy

I didn’t know 4th round picks were meant to be throwaways

44 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

I didn't know 4th rounders were franchise QB's either. Perfect place to find a quality backup though, which is what Petty should be

2 minutes ago, billo83 said:

I didn't know 4th rounders were franchise QB's either. Perfect place to find a quality backup though, which is what Petty should be

51 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Jets front office was feeling the heat for blowing Russel Wilson pic. Idiots making fun of 1 of our top scouts for wanting Wilson bad. So they took a flier on petty. Jets are always a day late, dollar short type of franchise ha.

The Petty pick would be fine if he hadn’t failed so spectacularly with the Hackenberg selection.

Not to mention he went the veteran journeyman route not once but twice.

Macc inspires zero confidence when it comes to the most important position on the field. Does that help you “get” the criticism?

Need a larger sample size, but I can see a bit of why Petty is behind McCown on the depth chart. He was behind on a few of his throws- his timing is a little off compared to the elder statesmen. That's a bit of a problem in the Jet's current offensive scheme.

He's not unsalvageable, maybe the right preparation is all he'll need to be as effective as McCown, but the whole idea that he is what he is seems to be holding up from what (very) little I've seen of him.

We're bound to get somewhat talented but flawed QB's like Petty if we ascribe to the QB a year philosophy.

5 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Bryce Petty had 0 reps with the first team this week for that I give him a pass in todays performance, if he continues to play the the way he did then you open the door for Christian Hackenberg to start the last 2 games no ifs ands or buts. 

Evaluate the all the QB's and make an educated decision going into next season 

Petty looked sh*t. No other way to put it. And when you think about Hack being the 3rd stringer, do you really think Hack is worth trotting out there? He’s only on the team cuz he was a 2nd rounder. If he was a 7th rounder, he would’ve been first in the unemployment line long time ago. 

I didn't see the game but I'm not surprised that he struggled. He struggled last season too. But we needed to see Petty so we can get a final determination on what he is. Let's see how he looks next week against the Saints. 

9 hours ago, jetspenguin said:

I know the popular theory is that Petty looked like shyt because he didnt get any reps....well I dont know if he didnt get any or if he just played poorly because he wasn't prepared to play. We LOVE to blame the coach for everything on here but the reality is that he made some piss poor throw that has nothing to do with reps, they were just flat out BAD. Reminded me of that game that Vick had to come in and play and he looked woefully unprepared and then later admitted that he didnt bother preparing that week because he didnt think he was going to play. Maybe the coaches decided to run the ball because Petty looked horrible, inaccurate and simply couldnt execute even the simplest plays given to him. There was no sense in trying to go vertical or trying some new things when he couldnt handle even the basic shyt given to him to do. 

One knock on Petty has been that he is slow to grasp the NFL play book...can anyone here honestly say that anything he has shown last year (excluding preseason) or this one, he has given anyone any reason to believe that has changed? Put aside your favoritism for the kid, stop making excuses and be real. Ask yourself......has this kid looked like an NFL QB whenever he has played in a real game last year or this one, with reps or not? Every team in the nfl has a backup come in with limited reps and we never see anyone look as shytty as Petty did today. 

I'm not a Petty hater, hell I dont care which QB finally makes us a perennial winner....but I have seen nothing but wishes and arguements from posters to make me think it might be this kid. 

THIS!!  End the thread right here.  This post is spot on.

6 hours ago, billo83 said:

So why draft Petty at all then?  You can sign a serviceable backup qb with a nothing contract off the street.  Macagnan is awful

4 hours ago, j4jets said:

Petty looked sh*t. No other way to put it. And when you think about Hack being the 3rd stringer, do you really think Hack is worth trotting out there? He’s only on the team cuz he was a 2nd rounder. If he was a 7th rounder, he would’ve been first in the unemployment line long time ago. 

I think the breaking point is coming for this regime next 3 weeks

The guy is a camp arm and a preseason player.  He doesn't seem to understand the depths of a playbook, reading defenses or how to play when going up against anything that isn't completely vanilla coverage.  Setting protections, snapcount, command of a huddle and a pocket are all completely missing from his repertoire.

You could see that he was already panicking after a few touches, and his feet were beginning to shuffle and he locked onto his first read every time.  These are symptoms of a QB that is out of his depth and hasn't had the reps to get comfortable with much of anything.

I think it would take 4-5 years of starting to get Mr Petty the reps he needed to be just average in those areas, and I dont think many NFL teams have that sort of time they're willing to invest.  

3 minutes ago, Hael said:

The guy is a camp arm and a preseason player.  He doesn't seem to understand the depths of a playbook, reading defenses or how to play when going up against anything that isn't completely vanilla coverage.  Setting protections, snapcount, command of a huddle and a pocket are all completely missing from his repertoire.

You could see that he was already panicking after a few touches, and his feet were beginning to shuffle and he locked onto his first read every time.  These are symptoms of a QB that is out of his depth and hasn't had the reps to get comfortable with much of anything.

I think it would take 4-5 years of starting to get Mr Petty the reps he needed to be just average in those areas, and I dont think many NFL teams have that sort of time they're willing to invest.  

Exactly

Petty is Brett Ratliff

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Exactly

Petty is Brett Ratliff

If thats the case we move on...until we see Petty and Hackenberg both in action this season we have a mess and no plan at QB for next season. 

No more old journeyman please, they play hard they win games but they aren't the answer to this teams QB needs and wants of a Super Bowl. 

11 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

This is Bryce's third year in the NFL and the Jets coaching staff treated him like he was an undrafted rookie FA from a division III school.

Pretty much sums it up.  I had hopes that Petty would come around, but it appears obvious the coaching staff had already abandoned hope for Petty a long time ago.  He must be a nice guy whom they plan to offer a nice position somewhere in the Jets organization to after the season, because they sure as hell don't look like they ever want him to play QB.