Thoughts on Bryce Petty ?

Maxman

1 minute ago, Charlie Brown said:

I really really hope that you are right concerning Petty because if Bowles and you are wrong, and Petty ends up being pretty good, than Bowles and the entire Jets management team is so incompetent that they should be fired immediately....

The incompetence was drafting Petty and then keeping him around for 3 years.  

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Pac said:

Our punter Tom Tupa had 0 reps with the first, 2nd, or 3rd team when Vinny went down on opening day against NE.

That day Tupa went 6-10 for 165 yards and 2 TD's.

Yesterday Petty went 2-9 for 14 yards.

This is brutal. Wish that wasn't true.

36 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

I really really hope that you are right concerning Petty because if Bowles and you are wrong, and Petty ends up being pretty good, than Bowles and the entire Jets management team is so incompetent that they should be fired immediately....

Petty and his 2 of 9 probably just put your worst fears to rest lol.

4 hours ago, Pac said:

Petty has played numerous games exhibiting a steady level of suck.  That's a "fine" selection.

Hack, who hasn't yet played any games and was a mid 2nd round pick is "spectacular failure". 

and you wonder why I take none of what you guys say seriously.

I'll be looking for you when the Macc extension thread pops up.

I said the Petty pick WOULD be fine if Hackenberg were any good.  Hack as the starter, Petty as the backup.  That would be fine.  

Hackenberg was a failure from the start. If you can't complete 60 % against Indiana, you can't make it in the pros.  And everyone associated with the Jet organization knows he is the suck.  

But please, say Hack will be good, and add him to your stellar QB evaluation over the years.  

10 hours ago, SMC said:

Petty stinks

Hack stinks

Bowles stinks

Macc stinks

All four things can be true and everyone can be right.  We'll see if there is any difference this Sunday, but we're not holding our breath.  Again, for me, the big issue is Macc's QB evaluation skills.  That is the regime's ultimate Achilles Heal.

It's quite a struggle to list off the things Macc does WELL.  Find a few decent receivers off the mid-late round/UDFA pile is about all I can come up with.  

The roster is just straight up brutal otherwise, from top to bottom.  Just brutal.  

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's quite a struggle to list off the things Macc does WELL.  Find a few decent receivers off the mid-late round/UDFA pile is about all I can come up with.  

The roster is just straight up brutal otherwise, from top to bottom.  Just brutal.  

I was thinking about this today. Macc would be so much better off if he took Anderson in the 7th round. You take him in the 7th round and you can say I knew he was going to be this good. As an UDFA you say wow we got lucky.  :)

13 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Hackenberg was a failure from the start. If you can't complete 60 % against Indiana, you can't make it in the pros.  And everyone associated with the Jet organization knows he is the suck.  

But please, say Hack will be good, and add him to your stellar QB evaluation over the years.  

Unlike your demented side of the debate I haven't made any definitive assessment of Hack.  Know why?  Cause he hasn't played a game yet.

Petty on the other hand I watched play a handful of games last year and saw all I needed to see.  He sucks. 

Fitz I saw for years and saw what I needed to see.  He sucked.

McCown I watched from afar over the years and I said he'd be a great addition for a young team and was infinitely better than your conquering hero.  He was.

But keep on telling me why I'm crazy for wanting Geno to play ahead of Fitz which say it with me..  would have been the correct move.

9 minutes ago, Pac said:

Unlike your demented side of the debate I haven't made any definitive assessment of Hack.  Know why?  Cause he hasn't played a game yet.

Petty on the other hand I watched play a handful of games last year and saw all I needed to see.  He sucks. 

McCown I watched from afar over the years and I said he'd be a great addition for a young team and was infinitely better than your conquering hero.  He was.

But keep on telling me why I'm crazy for wanting Geno to play ahead of Fitz which say it with me..  would have been the correct move.

They all suck, dude.  Hack included.  Hack hasn't played a game because he can't even complete throws to guys when playing catch.  Who cares which suck a little less than others?

8 minutes ago, Pac said:

I agreed with everything right up until the Geno part. I don't think anyone in the organization really believes he was anything more than a career backup. I've never seen a QB run out of bounds behind the line of scrimmage so much. He was just not a likeable guy either, throwing a hissy fit for not going round 1 is ridiculous. I don't believe he had many friends here last season.

That said maybe if Geno had played earlier in the season the vets may not have given up or he wouldn't have torn an ACL? I'd say when a bad Fitz is the bench mark there are not too many QBs I'd say are worse. 

4 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I agreed with everything right up until the Geno part. I don't think anyone in the organization really believes he was anything more than a career backup. I've never seen a QB run out of bounds behind the line of scrimmage so much. He was just not a likeable guy either, throwing a hissy fit for not going round 1 is ridiculous. I don't believe he had many friends here last season.

That said maybe if Geno had played earlier in the season the vets may not have given up or he wouldn't have torn an ACL? I'd say when a bad Fitz is the bench mark there are not too many QBs I'd say are worse. 

Not to dredge up the whole Geno debate but I believe he wasn't given any help while here.  Like him or not he was the QB during an 8-8 season with worse talent on offense than we have today.

My contention at the time was to see what he could do with a professional NFL offense.  I'm positive it would have been much better than that disgusting, disgraceful, unprofessional, selfish display we saw from Fitz in 16'.  But I digress.

1 hour ago, southtown24th said:

Petty sucks

Then we should finish 5-11 and in pretty good shape to either draft or trade up a couple of picks to land a QB. 

And Petty has no excuses, because this is the same offense that mccown, a journeyman QB, was able to do pretty well with. Hopefully, we get to see Hack also and just close the door on those two for good. 

15 minutes ago, Pac said:

Not to dredge up the whole Geno debate but I believe he wasn't given any help while here.  Like him or not he was the QB during an 8-8 season with worse talent on offense than we have today.

My contention at the time was to see what he could do with a professional NFL offense.  I'm positive it would have been much better than that disgusting, disgraceful, unprofessional, selfish display we saw from Fitz in 16'.  But I digress.

Geno looked better than Eli with the same offense for 90pct of his game. But Geno also had 2 sacks with 2 fumbles, because Geno gonna Geno. Geno is very talented but he is missing way too much between the ears to ever be a franchise QB. 

If he could accept being a career backup, he could probably hang around the NFL for a while. 

25 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Then we should finish 5-11 and in pretty good shape to either draft or trade up a couple of picks to land a QB. 

And Petty has no excuses, because this is the same offense that mccown, a journeyman QB, was able to do pretty well with. Hopefully, we get to see Hack also and just close the door on those two for good. 

Petty seems to get hurt easily so I'm sure we'll get to see Hackenberg at some point.  Sure to be a spectacle.

On 12/10/2017 at 8:14 PM, Lupz27 said:

How are you supposed to feel when the Coach calls like 10 straight run plays to end the game instead of letting you get some reps throwing the ball, the HC QUIT once McCown was hurt if I’m Petty I’m like why even have me here, Bowles is a really bad in game HC like worst I’ve ever seen.

Just like Tebow did when that lard @$$ Rex kept putting Mark Sanchez out there.

7 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

But he needs to pick his own coaching staff now!

8 hours ago, Pac said:

Agreed, but I think his lack of leadership played a role in his demise so I'm not as hung up on it. I'm not sure the rest of the players wanted him to be the guy that year. I'd like to see him get significant starting time elsewhere to see for sure.

8 hours ago, Dcat said:

Petty seems to get hurt easily so I'm sure we'll get to see Hackenberg at some point.  Sure to be a spectacle.

I'm looking forward to it. There is literally no downside to seeing him play. Worst case he is awful and we lose and get a better draft pick. At this point in the season the last thing any of us wanted to see was Mccown fighting fo meaningless wins. It was cute at the start of the season when there was a glimmer of false hope....

Petty is a career back up. He's got a strong arm but not very good instincts. He has problems with his accuracy. I'm not sure if it's that he simply doesn't have timing down with his receivers, but when he passes he tends to aim the ball, rather than throw it to the spot where receivers will be. 

In short, expect the Jets to finish with a 5-11 record once again.

3 hours ago, Philc1 said:

But he needs to pick his own coaching staff now!

I hear what you are saying and I do agree to a degree. 

But what the hell does the pick of the HC have to do with Maccagnan’s inability to bring in quality QBs???

He has personally passed on quality QBs in the draft and elsewhere so as to give Fitzpatrick and McCown the staring roles and to have backups whom no one believes in and none of that IMO has to do with the HC. 

On 12/10/2017 at 8:12 PM, joewilly12 said:

Bryce Petty had 0 reps with the first team this week for that I give him a pass in todays performance, if he continues to play the the way he did then you open the door for Christian Hackenberg to start the last 2 games no ifs ands or buts. 

Evaluate the all the QB's and make an educated decision going into next season 

I think the reason Bowles did that is the game was out of reach and the O-line was a sieve. No sense knocking out 2 QB's in one game. 

I'm gonna make a strong statement on Petty and Hack. These guys are going to get 2-3 games to be evaluated. And I know how brutal Jet Nation bloggers can be. Some positive guys on here, some negative and some knuckleheads. What if the Jets got Wentz or Goff and evaluated them their first 3 games of the whole season last year for that matter. Some would say they suck, dump them, bad draft. The point I'm attempting to make is it's nearly impossible to gauge the ability, ceiling or career of a QB in 3 games, or six games or even a season. Even McCown exceeded expectations and how many years has he been around. QB development has never been a strong point with the Jets through many different HC's and their staff. If Petty of Hack have to deal with the same O-line play we saw last week they will suck. I would say most if not all QB's would have been unsuccessful. No ground game and no blocking. Good luck to Petty and Hack. They're gonna need it.

My only thought is I'd prefer to see Hack play these final three games.

Petty has had a number of opportunities so far, where he either under-performed badly, got hurt, or both.  He's not shown even once time in a regular season appearance that he is worth additional investment of time.

Now, I don't personally believe Hack is better.....but unlike Petty, Hack has not played a Pro down as yet.  And frankly, as a 2nd round pick, in his 28th NFL game being on the roster, he simply must be able to step-in and play at the vest least.  Not saying play well, I'm saying just play.

The ideal outcome is A. Hack proves he's a games-not-practice type player (unlikely) and B. proves he is absolutely horrible even now, and can be cut loose (more likely).

I fear Macc is protecting Hack by not playing him, allowing the ongoing fantasy of "he's learning, he'll be ready when he's ready".

1 hour ago, MaxAF said:

I think the reason Bowles did that is the game was out of reach and the O-line was a sieve. No sense knocking out 2 QB's in one game. 

Thank you... Thank you... thank you!!!

This is obviously the key point!  This isn't FF you can't put folks in harms way cause people in the stands want a good show!

1 hour ago, MaxAF said:

I'm gonna make a strong statement on Petty and Hack. These guys are going to get 2-3 games to be evaluated. And I know how brutal Jet Nation bloggers can be. Some positive guys on here, some negative and some knuckleheads. What if the Jets got Wentz or Goff and evaluated them their first 3 games of the whole season last year for that matter. Some would say they suck, dump them, bad draft. The point I'm attempting to make is it's nearly impossible to gauge the ability, ceiling or career of a QB in 3 games, or six games or even a season. Even McCown exceeded expectations and how many years has he been around. QB development has never been a strong point with the Jets through many different HC's and their staff. If Petty of Hack have to deal with the same O-line play we saw last week they will suck. I would say most if not all QB's would have been unsuccessful. No ground game and no blocking. Good luck to Petty and Hack. They're gonna need it.

Image result for gif of clapping

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

My only thought is I'd prefer to see Hack play these final three games.

Petty has had a number of opportunities so far, where he either under-performed badly, got hurt, or both.  He's not shown even once time in a regular season appearance that he is worth additional investment of time.

Now, I don't personally believe Hack is better.....but unlike Petty, Hack has not played a Pro down as yet.  And frankly, as a 2nd round pick, in his 28th NFL game being on the roster, he simply must be able to step-in and play at the vest least.  Not saying play well, I'm saying just play.

The ideal outcome is A. Hack proves he's a games-not-practice type player (unlikely) and B. proves he is absolutely horrible even now, and can be cut loose (more likely).

I fear Macc is protecting Hack by not playing him, allowing the ongoing fantasy of "he's learning, he'll be ready when he's ready".

That is where I have been for a while. Just watching Petty, I am certain he won't be a starter in this league. Durability is a huge reason why.

If Hack is worse than Petty was (2 of 9) they should seriously both be cut and just play a waiver wire QB. Get these guys on the field, find out what they are all about or move on.

Just now, Maxman said:

That is where I have been for a while. Just watching Petty, I am certain he won't be a starter in this league. Durability is a huge reason why.

If Hack is worse than Petty was (2 of 9) they should seriously both be cut and just play a waiver wire QB. Get these guys on the field, find out what they are all about or move on.

I won't quite go that far.....I'm content for the remainder of this non-winning season to see Hack play, for better, or worse.

Just now, Warfish said:

I won't quite go that far.....I'm content for the remainder of this non-winning season to see Hack play, for better, or worse.

Yeah that was too far. I take it back. No waiver wire QB, that wouldn't be good.

On 12/10/2017 at 7:12 PM, joewilly12 said:

Bryce Petty had 0 reps with the first team this week for that I give him a pass in todays performance, if he continues to play the the way he did then you open the door for Christian Hackenberg to start the last 2 games no ifs ands or buts. 

Evaluate the all the QB's and make an educated decision going into next season 

you are not going to evaluate anything with 2 QB's and 3 games this should have been done 3 games ago.

20 hours ago, Maxman said:

i agree re Petty.. i don't know about Hack.

play Hack & let's see how he does.

i think we're gonna end up having to get our qb in the draft/free agency/trade dept.   

oh well.. cheers ~ ~ 

:Chrismaz_PDT:

On 12/12/2017 at 10:35 AM, Charlie Brown said:

I hear what you are saying and I do agree to a degree. 

But what the hell does the pick of the HC have to do with Maccagnan’s inability to bring in quality QBs???

He has personally passed on quality QBs in the draft and elsewhere so as to give Fitzpatrick and McCown the staring roles and to have backups whom no one believes in and none of that IMO has to do with the HC. 

Macc has no ability to evaluate the qb position 

Archived