Thoughts on Bryce Petty ?

Maxman

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, MaxAF said:

I'm gonna make a strong statement on Petty and Hack. These guys are going to get 2-3 games to be evaluated. And I know how brutal Jet Nation bloggers can be. Some positive guys on here, some negative and some knuckleheads. What if the Jets got Wentz or Goff and evaluated them their first 3 games of the whole season last year for that matter. Some would say they suck, dump them, bad draft. The point I'm attempting to make is it's nearly impossible to gauge the ability, ceiling or career of a QB in 3 games, or six games or even a season. Even McCown exceeded expectations and how many years has he been around. QB development has never been a strong point with the Jets through many different HC's and their staff. If Petty of Hack have to deal with the same O-line play we saw last week they will suck. I would say most if not all QB's would have been unsuccessful. No ground game and no blocking. Good luck to Petty and Hack. They're gonna need it.

Your post highlighted the real issue though.  Goff and Wentz and now Trubisky are being given playing time and lots of it early on, even Kizer.  These teams decided to live with the short term pain for long term gain.

The jets refuse to do that.  If you want to blame anyone for 'not giving the qbs a shot before judging put that directly at the feet of the new york jets.

In very few cases does a rookie even a good one give you the 'best chance to win' in his rookie year and you certainly do not know this unless you get a fluke injury that shows they are ready,  (Dak and D Watson)

Geno Smith got a legit shot as a young QB and the guys we have now have not had a legit shot because the incumbent got hurt and geno was forced to play and the team decided to stick with him rather than sign some 38 year old marginally better QB.

49 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

I will say it one more time; if Petty comes in and lights it up as opposed to stinking up the joint as everyone out here seems to surmise, then the whole Jets organization should be held up to derision and ridicule.  

Huh.gif~c200

1 hour ago, Charlie Brown said:

I will say it one more time; if Petty comes in and lights it up as opposed to stinking up the joint as everyone out here seems to surmise, then the whole Jets organization should be held up to derision and ridicule.  

If and it's a big if, the O-line can give him time, the gunslinger may be unleashed. It's probably his only opportunity to make an impact. I'm routing for him.

2 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Agreed. I think that is the long shot of all long shots based on how bad he has played in the games. But if he turns out to be good pretty much everyone should be let go because they all seem to agree that he sucks.

If he has 3 good games then the Jets have a legit candidate to be our starting Qb in 2018. It would still be a Qb competition because 3 games isn't a lot. Which doesn't mean we don't have to draft a Qb this coming year. If he doesn't play well he will be pretty much out of the picture. Plus he could be relieved and Hack given some playing time. Good chance we only win 5 games and are in the top 10. Not what I want to see. The ideal would be one of these guys will do well. 

Christian Hackenberg will take over as the Jets' No. 2 quarterback after Josh McCown's year-ending hand injury.

The Jets clearly know Hackenberg isn't ready to play, or else they'd be starting the 2016 second-round pick. We'd be skeptical at this point if Hackenberg ever became ready to play. Instead, Gang Green will trot out Bryce Petty for Week 15 at New Orleans. Petty did show a strong connection with Robby Anderson last year, although all Jets pass catchers inevitably take a major hit.

I just don't get this Hackenberg issue .... The kid obviously has the physical talent they say he's extremely smart and picks up offenses. So why not get the kid some real NFL action and let him grow ? Obviously as Sperm pointed out this should have been done on day one (this year) with either Petty or Hack so our HC sh*t the bed in that respect but someone has to step up and tell Bowles to cut the bullsh*t and give the kid his chance... if he sucks at that point then move on but a few preseason appearances while the team was learning a new offense is not a real test at all since during the pre season the whole team seemed like they were having issues learning . 

On 12/10/2017 at 8:20 PM, Bugg said:

Enough with the spoonfeeding. At least give the guy a real chance to pass the ball. This CS has to run some plays that work to his ability. 

right.  they need to play to his strengths.  the one thing he has that mccown didn't is a good arm.  he can get the ball downfield.  does it translate well into a wco scheme? maybe.  jerry rice didn't rack up all his receiving yards on 5 yard dump offs.  but even there we've seen kearse, anderson and even asj being sent off on deep routes so the plays are there.  use them.

38 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

I just don't get this Hackenberg issue .... The kid obviously has the physical talent they say he's extremely smart and picks up offenses. So why not get the kid some real NFL action and let him grow ? Obviously as Sperm pointed out this should have been done on day one (this year) with either Petty or Hack so our HC sh*t the bed in that respect but someone has to step up and tell Bowles to cut the bullsh*t and give the kid his chance... if he sucks at that point then move on but a few preseason appearances while the team was learning a new offense is not a real test at all since during the pre season the whole team seemed like they were having issues learning . 

All good points.  I have very little interest in watching Petty play.  I want to see Hack in there, preferably all 3 games.  My expectation, however, is that the Jets won't even give him a single snap unless Petty gets hurt or maybe throws like 5 INTs in 1 quarter (Peterman-esque). 

I know we're all of the opinion that Hack hasn't even been active because he's that much of an abomination of a QB.  It would make Macc look horrible that he spent a 2nd rounder on a QB that bad.  However, I have to wonder if part of the reason they don't want Hack in there is because what if he's actually good?  Wouldn't that indicate that the Jets sat on a guy who should've been playing all year?  Then we'd have to make a major decision at QB this offseason (trade a ton of picks to move up in the draft or else overpay for Cousins) based on 3 games of Hack (when it could've been an entire season of Hack).  It's funny to think that Hack playing horrible or Hack playing really well would both be difficult scenarios for Macc/Bowles.

Archived