Marrone

Gen X Jet

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Point is I don’t care about barely, we won. If barely counts than you should love Bowles! We barely lost to NE, Atlanta, Carolina and Miami. 

To me, the jury is out on Bowles. Just when I think we are going in the right direction we have a game like yesterday. 

A win is a win I agree. A loss is a loss. Bowles has a losing record and there is a theme of inconsistency. 

I don't think the jury is out on Bowles, but I could see where some think he should be back. I will say to your point 3 bad calls and TD overturns and we have a winning record. I am looking at the team issues from: penalties, bad time out management, 4th quarter collapses, lack of in game adjustments over 3 seasons.. To me its to much of the same with Bowles.

1 minute ago, Stark said:

A win is a win I agree. A loss is a loss. Bowles has a losing record and there is a theme of inconsistency. 

I don't think the jury is out on Bowles, but I could see where some think he should be back. I will say to your point 3 bad calls and TD overturns and we have a winning record. I am looking at the team issues from: penalties, bad time out management, 4th quarter collapses, lack of in game adjustments over 3 seasons.. To me its to much of the same with Bowles.

You do bring up valid concerns about Bowles. It is very likely he will be back next season. However if they play the last 3 games like they played yesterday, it could cast some doubt on his return. I also believe at this point he should stick with playing the young qbs regardless of McCown’s health.

1 minute ago, JetsFanatic said:

You do bring up valid concerns about Bowles. It is very likely he will be back next season. However if they play the last 3 games like they played yesterday, it could cast some doubt on his return. I also believe at this point he should stick with playing the young qbs regardless of McCown’s health.

As he demonstrated yesterday, he'd rather send McCown out there half dead than play the other guys.

3 hours ago, BrickTamland said:

Smart fans are correct more often than, or at least as often as, (our) GMs.

Truly, I know a number of fans who:

(Off the top of my head)

1. Never would have drafted geno, Petty, Pryor, Hill, ducasse, boar hunter

2. Would have never given real money to: Wilkerson, Sanchez, Harris, Fitzpatrick, Holmes, 

3. Would have kept: Damon Harrison over Wilkerson. 

The list goes on. Smart fans get some wrong too, for sure. But GMs are just as bad if not worse.

If you are talking about you average Jets fan who doesn’t follow any CFB, and rarely sees other teams play, then sure — they are clueless.

If you’re talking about people who pay attention on a larger scale, their opinion can be pretty damn good, pretty damn often.

how's it working out for Harrison w/ the Giants?  we are getting similar production from McLendon at a fraction of the price.

EVERY team has bad draft picks EVERY year.

Wilkerson was a young, PB player.

Sanchez franchise leader in PO wins(how have we done since he's been gone?)

Harris an all time great Jet

Fitz was 1 year, it was nothing.

Holmes is sort of where this went the wrong way but he was HUGE for us in 2010.

we can scrutinize every decision but when fans have major input(or the media) bad things happen.  Look at what the Giants are going through? now they may be stuck w/ that bum QB for another year or more.  They got rid of a coach who year 1 won 11 games w/ no help from his QB and he didn't even make it to year 2.  The fans and media cost us Marrone, remember how the fans and media laughed when BB left us? the fans and media brought us Favre. 

Fans and the media can make all the non pressure evaluations they want, it's a different animal when you actually have pressure on you to make those decisions.  It's why failed players, coaches, execs all have the answers when they show up on TV but couldn't get it done when they were under the spotlight(most of them).

15 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

how's it working out for Harrison w/ the Giants?  we are getting similar production from McLendon at a fraction of the price.

we can scrutinize every decision but when fans have major input(or the media) bad things happen.  Look at what the Giants are going through? now they may be stuck w/ that bum QB for another year or more.  They got rid of a coach who year 1 won 11 games w/ no help from his QB and he didn't even make it to year 2.  The fans and media cost us Marrone, remember how the fans and media laughed when BB left us? the fans and media brought us Favre. 

Fans and the media can make all the non pressure evaluations they want, it's a different animal when you actually have pressure on you to make those decisions.  It's why failed players, coaches, execs all have the answers when they show up on TV but couldn't get it done when they were under the spotlight(most of them).

Meh. Smart giants fans are aware that Eli is declining. Are aware of their opportunity to pick a new face of franchise. Not stick with eli

14 minutes ago, BrickTamland said:

Meh. Smart giants fans are aware that Eli is declining. Are aware of their opportunity to pick a new face of franchise. Not stick with eli

those same fans wanted Eli(and Coughlin) gone in 2007 and heading into 2011 too. I wish the Giants ran things then the way they do now.

17 hours ago, Stark said:

Lol. Marrone. Whatever that guy is Caughlin’s puppet and that team has been loading up on defense. Lots of high picks. 

So let me get this straight.....Bowles sucks, we want him replaced, because he has a crappy QB, a loaded D with high picks that can't stop a nose-bleed half the time, and we are losing.

Marrone sucks, and is a puppet because he has a crappy QB, a loaded D with high picks that are one of the best in the league, and they are winning.

Huh.......

17 hours ago, gEYno said:

Is "Marrone" some kind of code for not drafting players with limited athleticism at positions that don't really matter?  If so, I wish we had Marrone too!  So much Marrone.

Do you really think in the NFL the HC matter so little, and everything is on the GM? You don't think that the HC has to have a major say on personnel decisions, systems, player development, assistant and coordinator hires, and none of those things make a difference? Im asking becasue you make a lot of posts that point in that direction.

6 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

The Jets beat the Jags. Don’t give me this barely garbage. 

The Jets were embarrassingly bad yesterday, so now some posters are going to use it to pretend nothing good came of this season and Khan is a great owner even though he plays a home game a year in London and hasn’t had a winning  season in God knows how long.

So true!!! The Jets smoked JAX until McCown rushed a screen pass to Powell that turned 

into a scoop and score.  People love to rewrite history to fit their agenda

1 hour ago, KRL said:

So true!!! The Jets smoked JAX until McCown rushed a screen pass to Powell that turned 

into a scoop and score.  People love to rewrite history to fit their agenda

Somked... We were tied after 1st Quarter, Tied after 2nd Quarter, up 10 at 3rd and then tied at end of 4th.

Don't forget that magical Powell run that, while it was awesome to watch be upheld was lucky. So then McCown throws an INT and the bad screen pass/fumble.. So yea we outplayed them in the 3rd but never Smoked them.

I will agree on the "Smoked" but only in 3rd quarter, then we got "Smoked" in the 4th. 

1 hour ago, NoBowles said:

Do you really think in the NFL the HC matter so little, and everything is on the GM? You don't think that the HC has to have a major say on personnel decisions, systems, player development, assistant and coordinator hires, and none of those things make a difference? Im asking becasue you make a lot of posts that point in that direction.

I've never suggested that the HC doesn't have major say in coordinators, system, or development.  Only in personnel, which I think is far more important than all others you listed.  I think it's the GMs job to bring in the talent.  The HC may have input on what he wants, but ultimately it's the GMs job to find quality and to overrule everyone else in the building.  I do not think the HC scouts or watches significant tape, there aren't enough hours in the day, but yeah, he generally will have a vision of what he likes.

So, let's make this real - Bowles says that he wants a player like like Deon Buchannon, to create a similar system as he had in AZ.  Macc's job is to say, okay, I'll try to get you that... But, I've seen plenty of tape and read our scouts reports on Darron Lee, and I don't value him, nor that role, at 16.  So, I'm going to look at other needs with that pick and revisit this when the value is there.

The point is, it's not wrong to want that type of player, but you should be able to find a productive fast undersized LB elsewhere in the draft.  If we go Lee in the 3rd round, I think that's solid.  And if Lee is gone, you have to find similar at the right value.  Same with Jamal Adams, who today, doesn't look like a good value at 6.  Resources are limited and so the GMs job is to maximize value.  Thus far, he hasn't done that.

On 12/11/2017 at 4:33 PM, gEYno said:

I've never suggested that the HC doesn't have major say in coordinators, system, or development.  Only in personnel, which I think is far more important than all others you listed.  I think it's the GMs job to bring in the talent.  The HC may have input on what he wants, but ultimately it's the GMs job to find quality and to overrule everyone else in the building.  I do not think the HC scouts or watches significant tape, there aren't enough hours in the day, but yeah, he generally will have a vision of what he likes.

So, let's make this real - Bowles says that he wants a player like like Deon Buchannon, to create a similar system as he had in AZ.  Macc's job is to say, okay, I'll try to get you that... But, I've seen plenty of tape and read our scouts reports on Darron Lee, and I don't value him, nor that role, at 16.  So, I'm going to look at other needs with that pick and revisit this when the value is there.

The point is, it's not wrong to want that type of player, but you should be able to find a productive fast undersized LB elsewhere in the draft.  If we go Lee in the 3rd round, I think that's solid.  And if Lee is gone, you have to find similar at the right value.  Same with Jamal Adams, who today, doesn't look like a good value at 6.  Resources are limited and so the GMs job is to maximize value.  Thus far, he hasn't done that.

I gotta be honest, I completely disagree with your premise here. And I am fine agreeing to disagree, but a good HC is like a good CEO IMO.

There is a reason why HC's in the NFL claim this is a 365 day per year job, they are at the combine, they are scouting, they are in the draft room. All of the things you say they don't do, they very much are doing.

Lets go back to your Buhannon example. Mac comes back and says here is what I have for you, I got Lee in mid to late round 1, guy x in round 3, and guy y in round 5. Obviously the guy grading out in round 1 is going to be the guy who is the most appealing to a defensive minded HC.

At some point these guys are running draft scenarios, they all do it, they run scenarios to see how the draft might unfold.

So Maccangnan and Bowles are running scenarios, and they say OK, in the scenario where Paxton Lynch and Lee are both available in the first round, which one do we take?

Bowles already said he doesn't draft people in the first round if they won't play in round 1, so he was obviously involved in that decision at a minimum, or steered it at a maximum.

You can go through the exact same scenario with Adams and Watson.

You think these decisions are all Maccangnan, and I would argue that Maccagnan is getting Bowles exactly what he wants, or at a minimum, heavily weighing his input.

So if a HC comes in and tells Maccagnan, I need a QB. I need a QB. I need a QB. And Maccagnan doesn't get that done, he is at fault.

If a HC comes in and tells Maccagnan, I need a fast LB, I need a great safety, I need ....... Maccagnan is going to prioritize what the HC wants.

These decisions are 99% of the time not the GM's to make on his own. In fact, Woody cited a reason for firing Idzik and Rex as saying they weren't on the same page as far as personnel.

So you really think with both reporting to Woody, and the prior GM getting fired for not getting Rex personnel he wanted, Mac has the ability to just flat out ignore what the HC wants and make his own decisions? I just don't see it at all.

Its the same thing with Rex. All the Rex fans said he has no QB, he has no QB, he has no QB. Yeah, well Rex came in and said give me Sanchez, then give me corners and DL'men, of course he had no QB.

Bowles is the same way, he is screaming for Defensive players to play his system. Its what weak HC's do, because they want to make sure they at least appear to be good at their prior job as a justification to keep their current job, or get their old job when they get fired. 

I find it so much more likely that Bowles is getting the guys he wants than Mac is picking these guys in a vacuum. My $0.02 and I honestly think both suck at their jobs and both should go.

2 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

I gotta be honest, I completely disagree with your premise here. And I am fine agreeing to disagree, but a good HC is like a good CEO IMO.

There is a reason why HC's in the NFL claim this is a 365 day per year job, they are at the combine, they are scouting, they are in the draft room. All of the things you say they don't do, they very much are doing.

Lets go back to your Buhannon example. Mac comes back and says here is what I have for you, I got Lee in mid to late round 1, guy x in round 3, and guy y in round 5. Obviously the guy grading out in round 1 is going to be the guy who is the most appealing to a defensive minded HC.

At some point these guys are running draft scenarios, they all do it, they run scenarios to see how the draft might unfold.

So Maccangnan and Bowles are running scenarios, and they say OK, in the scenario where Paxton Lynch and Lee are both available in the first round, which one do we take?

Bowles already said he doesn't draft people in the first round if they won't play in round 1, so he was obviously involved in that decision at a minimum, or steered it at a maximum.

You can go through the exact same scenario with Adams and Watson.

You think these decisions are all Maccangnan, and I would argue that Maccagnan is getting Bowles exactly what he wants, or at a minimum, heavily weighing his input.

So if a HC comes in and tells Maccagnan, I need a QB. I need a QB. I need a QB. And Maccagnan doesn't get that done, he is at fault.

If a HC comes in and tells Maccagnan, I need a fast LB, I need a great safety, I need ....... Maccagnan is going to prioritize what the HC wants.

These decisions are 99% of the time not the GM's to make on his own. In fact, Woody cited a reason for firing Idzik and Rex as saying they weren't on the same page as far as personnel.

So you really think with both reporting to Woody, and the prior GM getting fired for not getting Rex personnel he wanted, Mac has the ability to just flat out ignore what the HC wants and make his own decisions? I just don't see it at all.

Its the same thing with Rex. All the Rex fans said he has no QB, he has no QB, he has no QB. Yeah, well Rex came in and said give me Sanchez, then give me corners and DL'men, of course he had no QB.

Bowles is the same way, he is screaming for Defensive players to play his system. Its what weak HC's do, because they want to make sure they at least appear to be good at their prior job as a justification to keep their current job, or get their old job when they get fired. 

I find it so much more likely that Bowles is getting the guys he wants than Mac is picking these guys in a vacuum. My $0.02 and I honestly think both suck at their jobs and both should go.

In your scenario, I'm struggling to understand why we need a GM at all?

I've said this before, but the #1 defense of Maccagnan is that he doesn't actually do much of anything.  That's essentially what you're saying.

I've also never once said that Mac makes these decisions in a vacuum.  I've stated that he's the one ultimately responsible for them.

10 minutes ago, gEYno said:

I've said this before, but the #1 defense of Maccagnan is that he doesn't actually do much of anything.  That's essentially what you're saying.

I've also never once said that Mac makes these decisions in a vacuum.  I've stated that he's the one ultimately responsible for them.

Let me be clear, in no way am I defending Maccagnan. I am of the opinion that he is a weak GM, who did not hire his own coach, and co-reports in to the owner with the HC. Its not the way I would structure a franchise, and I would prefer a GM or a head of football ops who makes all the calls and has all of the authority AND accountability. That is not what we have in any way here with the Jets.

The role of the GM IMO the way the Jets have structured it is to manage the scouts, manage the draft process, manage the cap, manage personnel in accordance with what the HC needs to win. There are many different ways NFL teams define a GM, this is how the current regime defines it IMO.

55 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Let me be clear, in no way am I defending Maccagnan. I am of the opinion that he is a weak GM, who did not hire his own coach, and co-reports in to the owner with the HC. Its not the way I would structure a franchise, and I would prefer a GM or a head of football ops who makes all the calls and has all of the authority AND accountability. That is not what we have in any way here with the Jets.

The role of the GM IMO the way the Jets have structured it is to manage the scouts, manage the draft process, manage the cap, manage personnel in accordance with what the HC needs to win. There are many different ways NFL teams define a GM, this is how the current regime defines it IMO.

Well, on the first portion we agree.  On the latter, maybe, and if so, they both need to go as I've already said.

I guess, my main feeling on this subject is that I think that firing Bowles will not be the panacea that many here are hoping/expecting it to be.  We've done this so many times, and the results are always the same.  I also feel that if you get a GM (or head of football ops) who has a clear vision that values the right positions, that will be what turns this team around.

On 12/10/2017 at 10:15 PM, Bugg said:

Marrone is thought to have opted out from Buffalo with an understanding he would replace Rex Ryan here. But Mehta wrote an article that said basically Marrone when he was the OL coach under Herman Edwards or at Syracuse was not a nice guy. It was not well-sourced nor had many details, only  Mehta said Marrone was a bad guy who gave out crappy candy on Halloween or didn't return his phone calls or some other pantywaist nonsense BS. And the Johnsons rather than sticking to the plan backed out and began ANOTHER WORLDWIDE COACH BESTEST SEARCH. 

For all of the supposed $ and brain power the Johnsons have at their disposal instead they listen more to one beat writer who knows nothing about football. AND THE PROBLEM IS THE FANS? RIGHT. 

The crappy candy part is important. You are making millions, why the mini snickers?

You have to draw the line somewhere.

1 hour ago, gEYno said:

Well, on the first portion we agree.  On the latter, maybe, and if so, they both need to go as I've already said.

I guess, my main feeling on this subject is that I think that firing Bowles will not be the panacea that many here are hoping/expecting it to be.  We've done this so many times, and the results are always the same.  I also feel that if you get a GM (or head of football ops) who has a clear vision that values the right positions, that will be what turns this team around.

I agree with you, I don’t think firing Bowles will magically make this team better, short of hiring Harbaugh, which isn’t happening. In the same sense, I don’t think firing Maccagnan makes this team better with tha same org structure w have now. I have said many times, we all like to argue about Rex, Bowles, Idzik, Maccagnan, Tammy, but the one constant is terrible ownership. Until that changes, we can probably expect more of thpeople same.

31 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

I agree with you, I don’t think firing Bowles will magically make this team better, short of hiring Harbaugh, which isn’t happening. In the same sense, I don’t think firing Maccagnan makes this team better with tha same org structure w have now. I have said many times, we all like to argue about Rex, Bowles, Idzik, Maccagnan, Tammy, but the one constant is terrible ownership. Until that changes, we can probably expect more of thpeople same.

I agree.  The change required is to the org structure.  The characters are interchangeable and not good without a better org structure.

Who can be team president?  Dorsey is taken, Gettleman likely back to NYG.

2 hours ago, gEYno said:

Does Maccagnan actually do much? All we can do is guess as Bowles has become the front man for everything. Maccagnan is rarely heard from, has never really given a specific philosophy or statement on how he wants to build the roster etc. With how the drafts have gone and how Bowles built his defense in Arizona I can only assume he assumes most of the control.

On 12/11/2017 at 10:58 AM, nyjunc said:

right.  there are lots of reasons why some teams succeed and others lose. some just luck into great players and others luck into poor players.  i will say the jets have more than their fair share of bad first and second rounders though.  and when moving onto coaches, bowles was 10-6 his first season with a vet team and then had issues with that same vet team the next season.  who would've made that bet in 2015.  and who would've made the bet that mccown would win 5 this season?  but the uncertainly also means that the jets really should've tried to see what they have in petty and hack beyond the preseason if only to be better prepared for next season.

i would've been happy with marrone as coach.  he seems like a no nonsense guy who wouldn't have put up with the bs that shelly, wilk, and marshall were dishing out.  and who knows if ik would've broken geno's jaw or fitz would've started in 2015.

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Does Maccagnan actually do much? All we can do is guess as Bowles has become the front man for everything. Maccagnan is rarely heard from, has never really given a specific philosophy or statement on how he wants to build the roster etc. With how the drafts have gone and how Bowles built his defense in Arizona I can only assume he assumes most of the control.

I don't know... My assumption is that the HC offers input, but focuses on coaching the players and the GM makes the ultimate decisions.  I see plenty of reasons for conjecture that the roles are different, but nothing that resembles evidence.  So, until then, I'll assume that the HC offers input and coaches and the GM "picks the groceries."

They both need to go, regardless.  Because you can't keep Mac, and let him pick a new HC, giving him another 3 years with this track record, and you can't keep Bowles, and force him on a new HC.  We can talk all the narratives we want, but in the end, the logistics only really make sense to dump them both this year, or give them one more year to fix it.

On 12/10/2017 at 9:06 PM, Gen X Jet said:

Marrone brought the Jags to 9-4 today.  A tough gritty team who already knows how to win (notwithstanding a crappy QB).  He also helped the Jets draft position by beating the Seahawks today.  

Would've been nice to have hime as HC.  Thanks Mehta.

I remember people calling Mangini, ManGENIUS. I remember people praising Todd Bowles after his first year with the Jets. I remember people think Mcadoo was great after his first year. 

Let's all take a deep breath and realize that Marrone inherited a very talented and has managed to win some games with a garbage QB. Let's not get carried away here and think the Jags are going to be a super bowl contender for the next 5 years with Marrone at the healm. They play in a division with Savage/Yates, Brissett and Marriota. Tyrod Taylor would be the best QB in that division. 

10 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I remember people calling Mangini, ManGENIUS. I remember people praising Todd Bowles after his first year with the Jets. I remember people think Mcadoo was great after his first year. 

Let's all take a deep breath and realize that Marrone inherited a very talented and has managed to win some games with a garbage QB. Let's not get carried away here and think the Jags are going to be a super bowl contender for the next 5 years with Marrone at the healm. They play in a division with Savage/Yates, Brissett and Marriota. Tyrod Taylor would be the best QB in that division. 

Marrone was on the upswing in Buffalo 7-9 in his first year, 9-7 in his second year before he left because he thought he was about to get the Jets job. 

35 minutes ago, August said:

Marrone was on the upswing in Buffalo 7-9 in his first year, 9-7 in his second year before he left because he thought he was about to get the Jets job. 

Not saying he won't turn into a SB winning coach, but lets see him win a playoff game (Rex won 4.. all on the road) before we anoint him. In this forum, the grass is always greener...

Here's an interesting fact for the marrone fans out there:

1. Here’s an amazing fact for you: When Jaguars linebacker Telvin Smith went down and into the concussion protocol, then missed the game Sunday against Seattle, it marked the first starter game lost to injury by a Jacksonville defender all season. The Jags have been pretty damn good for most of the season. But being lucky doesn’t hurt.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/12/14/jerry-jones-roger-goodell-nfl-league-meeting

1 hour ago, JiF said:

I think my favorite thing about this thread is the "yeah but we beat the Jags". lmfao

Remember when the Jets beat the Patriots in the regular season and then went on to win the Super Bowl?

So Jets >>>> Patriots baby!!!!

Jets beat the Jags because of a fluke.  We all know this.

2 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Not saying he won't turn into a SB winning coach, but lets see him win a playoff game (Rex won 4.. all on the road) before we anoint him. In this forum, the grass is always greener...

Here's an interesting fact for the marrone fans out there:

1. Here’s an amazing fact for you: When Jaguars linebacker Telvin Smith went down and into the concussion protocol, then missed the game Sunday against Seattle, it marked the first starter game lost to injury by a Jacksonville defender all season. The Jags have been pretty damn good for most of the season. But being lucky doesn’t hurt.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/12/14/jerry-jones-roger-goodell-nfl-league-meeting

Good job by Marrone keeping team healthy ;)

Seriously though, a lot of that is luck, but Marrone runs unusually physical training camp and practices, and some expect that would lead to more than average injuries. But it's gone the other way.  

Archived