Who is more responsible for the Jets overachieving this year?

UnitedWhofans

Responsibility  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Who is more responsible for the Jets overachieving this year?

• Todd Bowles
    • MIke Maccagnan

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I'm not celebrating. I'm content with where we are record wise given the conditions. I'm not jumping for joy

Stay content with 5-11 and a bottom 3 roster, no qb or pass rusher while the Patriots win another Super bowl 

42 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

So they are sh*tty in every phase in the game and have 5 wins? That does not compute

And I go back to why did the media make that narrative in the first place?

5 wins is the mark of a sh*tty team and the Jets lucked into 2 of them.

The NFL media heads are filled with blow hard morons.  Why do you continue to listen to them? 

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

They were predicted to have 1-2 wins.

Macc sucks and so does Bowles.  Blow it up and start again.  I don't a crap what kind of lowered expectations we have.  After we get crushed by the Pats, we will find out if Chris is different than his brother.

Just now, JiF said:

The NFL media heads are filled with blow hard morons.  Why do you continue to listen to them? 

They did not luck into two of them. I've already answered it.

Then the media shouldnt even try if they;re just going to get it wrong. And they set the narrative

You want my bench mark for this particular year? Don't be what the Browns are.

That's the only expectations I had for this year. And given the state of the team and what supposedly knowledgeable people were saying. "Why would broadcast people hire unknowledgeable people for these jobs"

I think that was a fair expectation

13 minutes ago, JiF said:

He consumes sports media, puts it through his patented DIP Filter (Derpiest interpretation possible), and voila... one thread after another of JN ruining content.

Macc is the winner and loser on this one.  

He is most responsible for the Jets winning more games than was predicted.  

I think it is due in large part to the offensive players he picked up-some of whom are only one year rentals, and John Morton's coaching in a few games.  

That shows you how important offense is.  

7 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Rule changes. Catering to specific owners/franchises. Thursday games. Etc.

Unfortunately the rules will always change throughout time as the game evolves.  The rules in the 80s were different than the 70s. 

Jerry Jones was his main guy and Dallas hasn't even reached a champ game in his years as commish. 

we know he's close w/ Kraft, he did suspend Brady w/ no real evidence.

I hate Thursday Night games, everyone does except the owners who have made more $ b/c of it.  he and the owners can be blamed for that greed.

In every era we hear complaints about how the game isn't as good as it once was.  Maybe that is for real this time but unfortunately they had to try to make the game safer b/c of lawsuits from former players.  I don't believe they care about player safety at all but they care about losing money in lawsuits so they have to make it look like they care w/ rules changes.

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

John Morton called a helluva game yesterday we managed 100 yard total offense against a team who had an 8 game losing streak and allowed opponents to score 30+ points. 

The question wasn't "why did the Jets suck and lose yesterday." It was "why have they overachieved relative to expectations this season." Clearly the offense this year has been far better than anyone anticipated and Josh McCown, a veteran journeyman with a horrible record as a starter, has played well under Morton. 

This team has a TON of problems, Morton doesn't appear to be one of them. 

2 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

The question wasn't "why did the Jets suck and lose yesterday." It was "why have they overachieved relative to expectations this season." Clearly the offense this year has been far better than anyone anticipated and Josh McCown, a veteran journeyman with a horrible record as a starter, has played well under Morton. 

This team has a TON of problems, Morton doesn't appear to be one of them. 

There is no I in TEAM John Morton is part of the disaster here. Underachieving or overachieving this team is bad in all aspects of the game and poorly coached on all levels.  Playing hard is the players playing with heart and the competitiveness an athlete on the NFL lever has. 

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

So they are sh*tty in every phase in the game and have 5 wins? That does not compute

And I go back to why did the media make that narrative in the first place?

You were buying into a media created situation that was never reality.

This team was never what the media douchebags thought it was. Its trendy to bash the Jets, even the Jets beat reporters regularly do it, but this past offseason it reached a frenzy..

"I cant see the Jets winning a single game"..

-Ross Tucker, Sirius NFL radio amd douchebag Patriot ballsucker

"The Jets let all of their talented players go. Whos catching the ball, an undrafted free agent?"

"The Jets have the least talented Offense in recent memory"

"The Jets are tanking, its obvious. They let all of their talented veterans go, or retire".

- ESPN writ large

All garbage. Talent wise, the Jets have ZERO superstars right now. None. But they do have a lot of solid, competent, professional NFL players. Bilal Powell is a perfect example. Not a big name, not really a guy that gets much attention in tye media, but a solid running back when healthy. Robbie Anderson, a 6'3 guy who runs in the 4.3s. Tons of potential and talent, but a COMPLETE unknown outside of New York until a few weeks ago. 

Josh McCown may be a journeyman, but the guy is a competent QB who has always been on teams even WORSE than the '17 Jets. Hes not a FQB, but given help hes been middle of the pack. ASJ (who has gotten ****ed over more than any other player Ive ever seen this season by the refs) was a 2nd round pick and considered a blue chip TE talent before his Tampa Bay DUI and troubles. Guy got his sh*t together this offseason amd actually brought NFL level TE play. Wesley Johnson IS bad, but the rest of the line is pretty average.

The hyperbole of the Jets fielding a D2 Football team this year and getting bliwn out for 16 weeks was just noise. The reality is that the Jets are honestly comparable Talent wise to most of the teams in the NFL, but without the elite talent here or there to push them over. They are inconsistent, but unless you're the ******* Patriots, guess what?

The entire NFL is inconsistent. The Broncos game notwithstanding, the Jets have been in every game over the course of the last 3 months.

So the idea that this Jets team has "overachieved" is a falsehood. To be honest, the team has UNDERACHIEVED. And MOST of that, contrary to the sound bites and talking points during the offseason has fallen SQUARELY on our underachieving,  DEFENSE

Yes. The defense has badly underachieved. Mo Wilkerson is just collecting a paycheck. Leonard Williams is just a run stuffing DT. Our LBs are pedestrian. Our Corners are below average for the most part (Claiborne has had his moments, but hes been shredded by top WRs). Our rookie safety play has been loud but pretty ordinary. And these failings are on Bowles and his defensive staff as well as the last 2 GMs who have invested a lot of capital into the defense with underwhelming returns.

BUT....its still a defense good enough to get a team to the 4-8 win level. Even the defense was AVERAGE ENOUGH to be better than the 1-15\2-14 squad everyone predicted them to be. So to me, this team has hardly "overachieved", and the entire notion is a fallacy. A construct put forth in the preseason by the ESPN ECHO Chamber and the New York Sporta media trying to outso each other in hyperbole.

Sadly, the "Tank" was never happening, and when you look back at blown 4th quarter leads, the "Zombie Games" like Tampa and Denver, you can legitimately make the case that to this point, the Jets have underachieved, and I place the blame mostly on Bowles. 

But none of this matters, nor should it ever have occured. Going 7-9/8-8 with Josh McCown (which was the reasonable expectation pre McCown Injury) was a completely pointless endeavor.

24 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

John Morton called a helluva game yesterday we managed 100 yard total offense against a team who had an 8 game losing streak and allowed opponents to score 30+ points. 

Remind me again of how many fourth quarter leads we've blown this year? How many games the Jets have shown up to and seemed to be sleepwalking? How many times poor discipline and atrocious clock management have cost this team?

I think the Jets OC gets a mulligan for yeaterday after all of the complete and utter failures we have witnessed from the Head Coach. I'd argue that Morton has been one of the few positives from the coaching staff this season.....

21 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Remind me again of how many fourth quarter leads we've blown this year? How many games the Jets have shown up to and seemed to be sleepwalking? How many times poor discipline and atrocious clock management have cost this team?

I think the Jets OC gets a mulligan for yeaterday after all of the complete and utter failures we have witnessed from the Head Coach. I'd argue that Morton has been one of the few positives from the coaching staff this season.....

I would agree but...........Denver had lost its previous 8 games and surrendered 30 or more points in doing so, we barely managed 100 yards total offense and 0 points. 

51 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

You were buying into a media created situation that was never reality.

This team was never what the media douchebags thought it was. Its trendy to bash the Jets, even the Jets beat reporters regularly do it, but this past offseason it reached a frenzy..

"I cant see the Jets winning a single game"..

-Ross Tucker, Sirius NFL radio amd douchebag Patriot ballsucker

"The Jets let all of their talented players go. Whos catching the ball, an undrafted free agent?"

"The Jets have the least talented Offense in recent memory"

"The Jets are tanking, its obvious. They let all of their talented veterans go, or retire".

- ESPN writ large

All garbage. Talent wise, the Jets have ZERO superstars right now. None. But they do have a lot of solid, competent, professional NFL players. Bilal Powell is a perfect example. Not a big name, not really a guy that gets much attention in tye media, but a solid running back when healthy. Robbie Anderson, a 6'3 guy who runs in the 4.3s. Tons of potential and talent, but a COMPLETE unknown outside of New York until a few weeks ago. 

Josh McCown may be a journeyman, but the guy is a competent QB who has always been on teams even WORSE than the '17 Jets. Hes not a FQB, but given help hes been middle of the pack. ASJ (who has gotten ****ed over more than any other player Ive ever seen this season by the refs) was a 2nd round pick and considered a blue chip TE talent before his Tampa Bay DUI and troubles. Guy got his sh*t together this offseason amd actually brought NFL level TE play. Wesley Johnson IS bad, but the rest of the line is pretty average.

The hyperbole of the Jets fielding a D2 Football team this year and getting blown out for 16 weeks was just noise. The reality is that the Jets are honestly comparable Talent wise to most of the teams in the NFL, but without the elite talent here or there to push them over. They are inconsistent, but unless you're the ******* Patriots, guess what?

So the idea that this Jets team has "overachieved" is a falsehood.   

Then the media douchebags should not make predictions again. I, being a layman, cede to people with knowledge to tell me what is going to happen. If the media companies are just going to put people with no clue up there making predictions, then I might as well sign up for a job. Same thing with the draft people who, despite it not being a premium position, ranked Jamal Adams in the top ten prospects in the draft. 

What is the point of having these people make big bucks if they supposedly have nothing to say that is knowledgeable? And I'm not talking about Bayless or Stephen A. I'm talking beat reporters and football centric people

Now you have said that they have underachieved. To say that, you need to have a bar. 

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

NEver said it was. 

If the bar for this year is don't be the Browns and they hit above that, then ok. Not celebratory, but leave it alone.

Who set that bar?  You? The Media?  The only bar for a season should be to win the super bowl.  If you aren't going to at least attempt that, then the Browns are where you want to be.  Anybody that goes into a season with the bar being - don't be the worst team deserves to be fired instantly.  

I feel sorry for you.  Taking your cues and opinions from the media must be so sad.

2 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

BUt only blown out twice?

#infrastructure

Archived