Would you be okay if Mac doubled down on QB's in the draft?

JetFreak89

Would you be okay if Mac doubled down on QB's in the draft?   

69 members have voted

1. 1. Which scenario would you support?

• Yes, regardless of which draft picks they are (we took two friggen safety's back to back last year, let's get this position done).
    • Yes, but only if we miss out on the Top 3 QB's (Darnold, Rosen, Allen for sake of argument); like our 1st or 2a pick and a 3rd/4th rounder eg. a Mayfield/Falk combo or a Jackson/Stidham scenario.
    • No, we have too many other holes to devote two picks to the position (plus Mac has barely shown he can scout 1 QB much less 2).

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Get Cousins trade up and draft Mayfield the second Rosen and Darnold are gone. 

I would be down with that plan but really trying to gauge how people value our draft picks vs the need of obtaining a QB, even knowing the draft isn't a sure thing by any means (obviously). 

Just now, JetFreak89 said:

I know, I thought of that after I submitted the poll. Should have been, "No, I want to use all our draft capital to trade up and pick Rosen/Darnold, if available". 

Ideally you'd want them to double down. But only if they are able to take a QB they want without moving in the first round. Then another around round 4. 

Just now, JetFreak89 said:

I would be down with that plan but really trying to gauge how people value our draft picks vs the need of obtaining a QB, even knowing the draft isn't a sure thing by any means (obviously). 

Even if Mayfield stinks just look at our last two first round picks and see what we are risking? Zero risk amd the potential to get our guy for next 10-27 years. Ride Cousins hard until Baker is ready and you may still get a 1-2 for Cousins in a couple years. Easy peasy. 

The Jets potentially have no Qb.  

Sign a vet and draft 2.  Could be McCown.  Keep doing that until they have a respectable Starter and backup.  

I don’t think signing Cousins and drafting Mayfield would work.  I would sign Cousins for a lot of money for 2 years and then try and develop someone picked in the second.  I don’t see Mayfield being a good backup.  

4 minutes ago, varjet said:

The Jets potentially have no Qb.  

Sign a vet and draft 2.  Could be McCown.  Keep doing that until they have a respectable Starter and backup.  

I don’t think signing Cousins and drafting Mayfield would work.  I would sign Cousins for a lot of money for 2 years and then try and develop someone picked in the second.  I don’t see Mayfield being a good backup.  

There is no sane amount of money that Cousins will take for 2 years. His deal will be 5+ years.

I vote yes!!!

Yiu can’t win without a QB, it is simple as that.  This isnt 1980 or 1990 the running game now is a sub group today. 

One wonders where Jim Brown would be ranked today with today’s rules.  I believe he would be just another player and that tells you all you need to know about the problems surrounding the game.  

So with that mini rant.; I say and vote...... YES!!!!!

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’m no mathematician, but I think that giving a guy who bats 0.00% another two at bats in a huge, franchise-defining spot isn’t the best way to run a franchise. 

Giving it to your little brother while your on vacation isn’t exactly in the manual either. 

We have two 2nd round picks this year to start with and since we can never pick a player in the 2nd round who contributes (Maye the exception) the package starts with this years 1st, the two 2nd's this year and next years 2nd.  

So if we wanted to trade up to the 3rd pick and have this years 10th pick the math works as follows.

3rd overall pick Value - 2,200

Jets Picks:

10th pick Value - 1,300

42th pick Value - 480

57th pick Value (Seattle estimate) - 330

and throw in next years 2nd at 350 estimated value for a total of 2,460

This would be the starting point and negotiate from there.  San Fran and Indy are sitting 3rd and 4th right now and they both have a QB (unless Indy deals Luck, who is taking a red-shirt year since the team stinks). 

They should double down on QB's in any of the following scenarios:

- If they sign Cousins in free agency, they should draft another anywhere
within rounds 2-4

- If they draft one with the first pick, they should draft another anywhere
within rounds 4-6

21 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Even if Mayfield stinks just look at our last two first round picks and see what we are risking? Zero risk amd the potential to get our guy for next 10-27 years. Ride Cousins hard until Baker is ready and you may still get a 1-2 for Cousins in a couple years. Easy peasy. 

"..Easy peasy. "... 

:huh:

39 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’m no mathematician, but I think that giving a guy who bats 0.00% another two at bats in a huge, franchise-defining spot isn’t the best way to run a franchise. 

I get the logic here, but let’s be honest: blind dumb luck is the only way these cretins are ever getting ahold of a QB. If we had any sense we’d draft one in every single round.

29 minutes ago, FlagmanL11 said:

We have two 2nd round picks this year to start with and since we can never pick a player in the 2nd round who contributes (Maye the exception) the package starts with this years 1st, the two 2nd's this year and next years 2nd.  

So if we wanted to trade up to the 3rd pick and have this years 10th pick the math works as follows.

3rd overall pick Value - 2,200

Jets Picks:

10th pick Value - 1,300

42th pick Value - 480

57th pick Value (Seattle estimate) - 330

and throw in next years 2nd at 350 estimated value for a total of 2,460

This would be the starting point and negotiate from there.  San Fran and Indy are sitting 3rd and 4th right now and they both have a QB (unless Indy deals Luck, who is taking a red-shirt year since the team stinks). 

How about a trade for Luck- just throwing it out there. On the one hand, his injury could spell the end of his career (although I doubt it) AND/OR he re-injures his shoulder and is done then. On the other hand, the injury IS the reason the Colts would be willing to trade him AND the price will not be nearly as high. 

I for one believe Luck just needs more time and will eventually come back to hi former Pro-Bowl self. Especially if he is surrounded by some talent. 

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Yes, what should happen is they should dump both petty and hack because they have zero faith in either of them.  Draft one QB high and one later round guys.

Bowles may have zero faith in Hack but I think Macc still has plenty of faith in him. I think Hack will be on the team next year, and depending on how he looks and what happens in the draft, FA, and if Macc is still around, I think Hack could stick around for another year after that. JMHO. And yes, that is problematic b/c you want the coach and GM to be on the same page.  

I voted NO.

B/C I either want the Jets to move up and take a top tier QB (even if its not a "top 3 guy"- Rosen, Darnold, Jackson, Allen- thats 4 not 3 guys right there).

OR I want them to facilitate a trade (Luck? Bridgewater? etc.) that will bring in a proven "QB of the future". 

I just don't think we will have a high enough pick to take a top tier QB in the first round and I want the Jets to do something drastic to address the position. I don't have faith in their scouting to think they will make the right pick at QB in the 1st round at their selection or that they will find a QB gem in the middle to late rounds. If they take two QBs without moving up I am worried we will just end up with 2 bums.  

On topic, I have no fundamental objection to a 2-QB Draft class. 

I AM against trading up and selling a generation of picks to get one of the vastly over-hyped "top 2" of Darnold/Rosen.  I'm also not paying Cousins 30 million a year, nor am I entertaining fantasies of trading foe broke down QB's like Luck or Eli Manning.  There is no shortcut to solving this longstanding issue here in NY.

I'd be fine taking a Baker Mayfield in Round 1 or 2 (I think he goes 1, many pro scouts types seem to think he goes 2) AND selecting a second prospect in the 4th->5th Round vicinity.  Who?  No idea, someone "prototypical" would be nice from a size/arm standpoint, even if they may require development.

More importantly, I would NOT sign a veteran QB gap-filler for 2018.  I know that is the way of the ultra-conservative NFL, but I simply would not do it, would not give my head coach the "out" by doing it.  I would force the team to start working to develop a young QB, period.

So if I were GM, I might put a 2018 roster out there with Mayfield/Faulk/Hackenberg as my trio of young QB's.  Best player in camp and preseason is the starter (it'd be Mayfield) and then he's my guy.  I invest around him and built my team with him in mind, good or bad, for three seasons minimum.

If these kids need a mentor, or a hug, or someone to kiss their little kiddy boo boo's, then I hire a goddamn QB Coach to do it, or a baby sitter.  I do not waste an invaluable roster spot (and most of the 2018 season) with a "veteran journeyman" of the Fitz/McCown variety.  It's utterly unproductive and screams mediocrity to the fans.

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Get Cousins trade up and draft Mayfield the second Rosen and Darnold are gone. 

With Petty now at QB the Jets won't win another game and should be in the top 10 of the draft. That is good enough to get Mayfield, I think. The teams that need QB's are NYG, Cleveland, Miami, Denver, NYJ and possibly Indianapolis (if Luck can't come back by draft day). Only the G-Men and Browns will draft before the Jets if they don't win another game. Miami already has 6 wins and I think Denver wins one more to tie the Jets at 5-11 but with a victory over them. I think Mayfield or Josh Allen are real possibilities at that spot.

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

On topic, I have no fundamental objection to a 2-QB Draft class. 

I AM against trading up and selling a generation of picks to get one of the vastly over-hyped "top 2" of Darnold/Rosen.  I'm also not paying Cousins 30 million a year, nor am I entertaining fantasies of trading foe broke down QB's like Luck or Eli Manning.  There is no shortcut to solving this longstanding issue here in NY.

I'd be fine taking a Baker Mayfield in Round 1 or 2 (I think he goes 1, many pro scouts types seem to think he goes 2) AND selecting a second prospect in the 4th->5th Round vicinity.  Who?  No idea, someone "prototypical" would be nice from a size/arm standpoint, even if they may require development.

More importantly, I would NOT sign a veteran QB gap-filler for 2018.  I know that is the way of the ultra-conservative NFL, but I simply would not do it, would not give my head coach the "out" by doing it.  I would force the team to start working to develop a young QB, period.

So if I were GM, I might put a 2018 roster out there with Mayfield/Faulk/Hackenberg as my trio of young QB's.  Best player in camp and preseason is the starter (it'd be Mayfield) and then he's my guy.  I invest around him and built my team with him in mind, good or bad, for three seasons minimum.

If these kids need a mentor, or a hug, or someone to kiss their little kiddy boo boo's, then I hire a goddamn QB Coach to do it, or a baby sitter.  I do not waste an invaluable roster spot (and most of the 2018 season) with a "veteran journeyman" of the Fitz/McCown variety.  It's utterly unproductive and screams mediocrity to the fans.

Other than Cousins (I would pay the man), I agree 110% 

Archived