Would you be okay if Mac doubled down on QB's in the draft?

JetFreak89

Would you be okay if Mac doubled down on QB's in the draft?   

69 members have voted

1. 1. Which scenario would you support?

• Yes, regardless of which draft picks they are (we took two friggen safety's back to back last year, let's get this position done).
    • Yes, but only if we miss out on the Top 3 QB's (Darnold, Rosen, Allen for sake of argument); like our 1st or 2a pick and a 3rd/4th rounder eg. a Mayfield/Falk combo or a Jackson/Stidham scenario.
    • No, we have too many other holes to devote two picks to the position (plus Mac has barely shown he can scout 1 QB much less 2).

9 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

1 - Pretty good is like standard deviations better than what the Jets have gotten out of QBs the past decade. Note that in 2016 and 2015 Cousins was one of the elite passers in the league per FO. This year he’s fallen so low he’s as any Jets QB has managed to climb this decade by the same rankings. 

2 - Don’t they have tons of cap space? Who are you forever holding back this money for?!?!?! 

1 - I don't disagree, but that doesn't make it a smart move.

2 - They do right now, but it'll be short-lived with moves like paying the likes of Cousins in the $30m/year range as some are talking about.

I'm holding out for Woody to save this money and not share it with anyone, of course. Can't you tell? I want to picture him taking a treasure bath every day. That's why I root for the Jets.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

1 - I don't disagree, but that doesn't make it a smart move.

2 - They do right now, but it'll be short-lived with moves like paying the likes of Cousins in the $30m/year range as some are talking about.

I'm holding out for Woody to save this money and not share it with anyone, of course. Can't you tell?

1 - Significantly upgrading the QB position is the only move this franchise can make that counts. Cousins instantly does that. 

2 - Even if he gets 30 a year, and he probably won’t, it’s not for infinity years. He’s not shutting down cap space or preventing any moves. There’s no FAs that need to be signed and this franchise has nooooo one to pay without a QB. 

Well stop doing that! It’s not setting them back - owner or franchise - to get a legit passer. 

Just now, SenorGato said:

1 - Significantly upgrading the QB position is the only move this franchise can make that counts. Cousins instantly does that. 

2 - Even if he gets 30 a year, and he probably won’t, it’s not for infinity years. He’s not shutting down cap space or preventing any moves. There’s no FAs that need to be signed and this franchise has nooooo one to pay without a QB. 

Well stop doing that! It’s not setting them back - owner or franchise - to get a legit passer. 

Since the turn of the century, can you list all the superbowls won by a team with a QB that counted for 1/6 of the team's entire cap limit?

The list is woefully short. I've got the 2015 Broncos and 2011 Giants. So that's 2 out of the 17 SBs played in the 2000s. 

What signing him does is it means the team is staying away from better QBs in the draft. Just like what happened when they moronically extended Sanchez.

Since the turn of the century, can you list all the superbowls won by a team with a QB that counted for 1/6 of the team's entire cap limit?
The list is woefully short. I've got the 2015 Broncos and 2011 Giants. So that's 2 out of the 17 SBs played in the 2000s. 
What signing him does is it means the team is staying away from better QBs in the draft. Just like what happened when they moronically extended Sanchez.

Actually no QB that has taken up more than 13% of their teams cap has won a Super Bowl. Ever.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

- Probably the same number of teams who have won it without a passing game but with way better chances. 

- Two? Holy sh*t! And this is...worse than zero? I still don’t get it. 

Signing him has nothing to do with the draft and saying otherwise is nonsense. They can do whatever they want on draft day, one of the huge benefits gained from locking down the QB position. 

11 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

If we drafted him (or rather, his equivalent) in round 3, fine. Then we get a starting QB who costs $750K/year. Paying him the kind of crazy numbers that's being talked about? They'd better not make any errors in FA contracts, and had better hit on an additional 2+ draft picks every year at expensive FA positions.

6 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

FA $$$ == we can over spend on a guy who has sometimes put up numbers but won nothing.... OR.... invest in positions where actual Free Agents signings have a record of working out.... say, like the Oline. Andre Whiteworth was a top LT who is presently part of one of the best teams in the NFC. The rams are doing it right.

Back to sperm... lets be real here. This team is still a ways off. We need to find our LONG TERM quarterback and built out the god damn roster. Put that cash towards stabilizing things like our line and secondary, and draft up premium positions that get over paid in FA. It's very functional model. 

27 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The Redskins have a better roster than the Jets do and they've been just OK with Cousins. The Jets have zero talent on defense as it currently stands and hardly anything on offense either. Bringing in Cousins does nothing. He' not going to generate a pass rush or help anyone cover.

Boning basically the last 5 drafts has left the Jets in a monster pickle.

1 minute ago, SenorGato said:

- Probably the same number of teams who have won it without a passing game but with way better chances. 

- Two? Holy sh*t! And this is...worse than zero? I still don’t get it. 

Signing him has nothing to do with the draft and saying otherwise is nonsense. They can do whatever they want on draft day, one of the huge benefits gained from locking down the QB position. 

Actually I stand corrected (see post above yours).

The correct answer apparently IS zero. And that includes some of the best QBs to ever wear an NFL uniform (a club to which Cousins certainly does not belong).

They can do whatever they want on draft day, but a GM who pays a QB that kind of money isn't touching a QB in the draft earlier than the 5th round anytime soon.

19 minutes ago, Paradis said:

FA $$$ == we can over spend on a guy who has sometimes put up numbers but won nothing.... OR.... invest in positions where actual Free Agents signings have a record of working out.... say, like the Oline. Andre Whiteworth was a top LT who is presently part of one of the best teams in the NFC. The rams are doing it right.

Back to sperm... lets be real here. This team is still a ways off. We need to find our LONG TERM quarterback and built out the god damn roster. Put that cash towards stabilizing things like our line and secondary, and draft up premium positions that get over paid in FA. It's very functional model. 

Yeah I totally agree. I'm fine trading up, if necessary, or taking multiple shots in the same draft. Find the right QB and he's here for 10-15 years. At a cost of a couple extra draft picks - which we've been turning into ILBers and safeties and DLmen that barely pressure the QB - I'm 100% fine with that. We're not winning a SB in the meantime anyway.

9 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Actually I stand corrected (see post above yours).

The correct answer apparently IS zero. And that includes some of the best QBs to ever wear an NFL uniform (a club to which Cousins certainly does not belong).

They can do whatever they want on draft day, but a GM who pays a QB that kind of money isn't touching a QB in the draft earlier than the 5th round anytime soon.

Yeah that 1/6 thing is still noise. One has nothing to do with the other and *even then* the QB position has never been more valuable.

Any GM paying anyone that kind of money in the NFL, especially in FA, is setting an out after two maaaaaaybe three years. This isn’t stopping any longer term moves including landing a high end QB prospect should a prospect be available. 

13 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The Redskins have a better roster than the Jets do and they've been just OK with Cousins. The Jets have zero talent on defense as it currently stands and hardly anything on offense either. Bringing in Cousins does nothing. He' not going to generate a pass rush or help anyone cover.

Boning basically the last 5 drafts has left the Jets in a monster pickle.

I wouldn't go so far as to say we have zero talent on defense, but it's certainly lacking given the slave-like investment made into it with our last 9 consecutive 1st round picks, plus the tens of millions in UFA $ our GM handed out to the likes of Revis, Harris, Cro, Skrine, Gilchrist, J. Jenkins, etc.

Just now, SenorGato said:

Yeah that 1/6 thing is still noise. One has nothing to do with the other and *even then* the QB position has never been more valuable.

Any GM paying anyone that kind of money in the NFL, especially in FA, is setting an out after two maaaaaaybe three years. This isn’t stopping any longer term moves, even at QB. 

Yes, calling it noise means it doesn't exist. That's why no team can win a SB with any 1 player eating up that much cap space every year without exception. Because it's noise.

Also I'm sure we'll draft a FQB while paying Cousins in excess of $25m/year. I'm sure you're right, because teams also have shown that's what they do as well.

It's totally likely to happen for the Jets with the likes of Cousins, even though it never has before for teams with all time great QBs. Lol

29 minutes ago, Paradis said:

The team has something like $80 million in cap space this offseason. They’re not paying Cousins $80 million dollars. The Rams did it right in that they learned to pass the ball. 

7 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yes, calling it noise means it doesn't exist. That's why no team can win a SB with any 1 player eating up that much cap space every year without exception. Because it's noise.

Also I'm sure we'll draft a FQB while paying Cousins in excess of $25m/year. I'm sure you're right, because teams also have shown that's what they do as well.

It's totally likely to happen for the Jets with the likes of Cousins, even though it never has before for teams with all time great QBs. Lol

It’s noise because one has nothing to do with the other. 

21 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

I'm surprised you're so strongly Cousins tbqh.  Wouldn't have expected that being where we are and how much of him we see.

He's an upgrade.

He's not even close to a 30/mil a year upgrade.

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I'm surprised you're so strongly Cousins tbqh.  Wouldn't have expected that being where we are and how much of him we see.

He's an upgrade.

He's not even close to a 30/mil a year upgrade.

I don;t really have a clue what to want or not to want so I decided to just want it all. Comfortable in that default.

7 hours ago, FlagmanL11 said:

We have two 2nd round picks this year to start with and since we can never pick a player in the 2nd round who contributes (Maye the exception) the package starts with this years 1st, the two 2nd's this year and next years 2nd.  

So if we wanted to trade up to the 3rd pick and have this years 10th pick the math works as follows.

3rd overall pick Value - 2,200

Jets Picks:

10th pick Value - 1,300

42th pick Value - 480

57th pick Value (Seattle estimate) - 330

and throw in next years 2nd at 350 estimated value for a total of 2,460

This would be the starting point and negotiate from there.  San Fran and Indy are sitting 3rd and 4th right now and they both have a QB (unless Indy deals Luck, who is taking a red-shirt year since the team stinks). 

Picks for following years usually hold about 1/2 of the value of their chart value.  Thus if you are offering next years #2 and have it pegged at 350 it is only worth 175

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I’m no mathematician, but I think that giving a guy who bats 0.00% another two at bats in a huge, franchise-defining spot isn’t the best way to run a franchise. 

I understand this sentiment, even if Macc is still here come draft time it doesn't change our pressing needs at QB. If his picks are gonna be wasted, then I'd much rather they be wasted trying to find one good QB out of two, instead of them being wasted trying to find Bowles' shiny new shut-down CB tandem that still results in the likes of Alex Smith lubing up his receivers and having his way with our defense.

2 Macc QBs > Virtually any 2 other players Macc picks instead

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, SenorGato said:

Signing him has nothing to do with the draft and saying otherwise is nonsense.

^^Here you call it nonsense.

They can do whatever they want on draft day, one of the huge benefits gained from locking down the QB position. 

^^And in the very next sentence you explain exactly why it isn't nonsense.

If you are a GM of a team with a number of glaring holes, then why on God's Earth would you invest a high draft pick onto a position that you (by your own words) just locked down?

5 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

^^Here you call it nonsense.

^^And in the very next sentence you explain exactly why it isn't nonsense.

If you are a GM of a team with a number of glaring holes, then why on God's Earth would you invest a high draft pick onto a position that you (by your own words) just locked down?

Oh boi looks like I got got. 

The team has one hole that matters and it’s the QB position

The team has something like $80 million in cap space this offseason. They’re not paying Cousins $80 million dollars. The Rams did it right in that they learned to pass the ball. 

imagine what we could do with 80 million when we don't have use 1/2 of it to sign Cousins and ridiculous signing bonus it'll take to lure him away from DEN or ARZ.

Honestly, the whole oline is a fat sh*tburger. You could dump 30million in there and actually protect a mofo for a change. We could also fill out the roster with corners and a fcking pass rusher. Lots of 'backs on the market as well. There's a million better ways to spend the money than another veteran retreat, just so he can helm another porous Jets team that isn't quite good enough.

Fck that homey. 

8 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I’m no mathematician, but I think that giving a guy who bats 0.00% another two at bats in a huge, franchise-defining spot isn’t the best way to run a franchise. 

Yeah. This is where I’m at. There’s really no point in debating how many QBs and where because the guy that would pick them has no business getting the chance to mess it all up again. 

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I wouldn't go so far as to say we have zero talent on defense, but it's certainly lacking given the slave-like investment made into it with our last 9 consecutive 1st round picks, plus the tens of millions in UFA $ our GM handed out to the likes of Revis, Harris, Cro, Skrine, Gilchrist, J. Jenkins, etc.

Who’s the best player on the Jets defense? And is that guy even a top 20 player at his position league wide?

Archived