Bowles explains not being aggressive (MERGED)

Freemanm

Todd Bowles’ weird explanation for not being more aggressive

December 11, 2017 | 10:23pm

Todd Bowles explained why he did not take a timeout with just over a minute left in the first half Sunday in Denver, but it probably won’t make Jets fans happy.

The situation was this: The Jets stopped the Broncos on third down at the Jets’ 35 with about 1:10 left in the half. Denver called on its field-goal unit. Bowles had all three timeouts left. Instead of using one and giving his offense the ball with about a minute left and two timeouts, he allowed the Broncos to run the clock down before the field goal. After Brandon McManus made the 53-yard kick, the Jets got the ball with 32 seconds left. They took a knee.

The Broncos were up 13-0 at the time, and the Jets were receiving the second-half kickoff. Bowles felt with the Jets offense doing nothing, it was not worth taking the risk of going for it at the end of the half.

“At that rate we were playing, we needed to go in and regroup,” Bowles explained.

That is a puzzling way to look at it with that much time left on the clock. It would be understandable if there were only 30 seconds left, but the offense could have possibly gotten into field-goal range in a minute and with two timeouts.

Quarterback Josh McCown had also been dealing with a hip injury he suffered earlier in the quarter. Bowles indicated that played a role in the decision to just take a knee and go to the locker room.

“Josh was pretty banged up right there,” Bowles said. “The best thing we could do getting the ball in the second half was take a knee and let him heal up and go back out in the second half.”

image.gif

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, MDL_JET said:

Wait so what's wrong exactly with that decision? I know we all wanted to drive it down the field and get a score but....it's kind of a valid point. no?

How did he know he was making the field goal? What if they get a great return? There is absolutely no excuse not to call that timeout even with his rationale you still call the timeout just in case. No coach has ever made so many obvious in game blunders it is remarkable.

2 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

How did he know he was making the field goal? What if they get a great return? There is absolutely no excuse not to call that timeout even with his rationale you still call the timeout just in case. No coach has ever made so many obvious in game blunders it is remarkable.

Exactly! Can you imagine had they MISSED the FG & you have great field position! That is the most pussified excuse I have ever heard! What if you bring in Petty & he throws deep to Anderson & you get a PI? How is it POSSIBLE that after doing this EXHAUSTIVE rsearch & confiding in these OLD FART HAS BEENS we end up with the worst coach in the league again? Ok, I'll give you Del Rio & Pagano but at least Pagano throws caution to the wind. Bowles is like a horrible Shottenheimer. His coaching just DOES NOT WORK in this new NFL landscape.

33 minutes ago, Freemanm said:

That is a puzzling way to look at it with that much time left on the clock. It would be understandable if there were only 30 seconds left, but the offense could have possibly gotten into field-goal range in a minute and with two timeouts.

Puzzling? It was a downright quit job is what it was. Herm Edwards once said it perfectly, "You play to win the game," and this loser did NOT. What message did that send to the offense? It was a no faith message and how do you rally the troops after basically saying with over a minute left, that said, I don't think you can do it. This, my friend IMO, is a firable offense and if we didn't have ownership asleep at the wheel Bowles would be explaining to his wife and kids why he is no longer HC of the NYJ.

25 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Wait so what's wrong exactly with that decision? I know we all wanted to drive it down the field and get a score but....it's kind of a valid point. no?

No, it is NOT. You NEVER QUIT. If you have one bullet left you fire it. What do you think Denver's HC thought as he took his team into the locker room. He probably told his guys, "they don't want it. They are already on the bus. Fellas lets give these quitters a kick in the a$$ on their way to the bus." Motivation never came easier for the OPPONENT.

5 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

No, it is NOT. You NEVER QUIT. If you have one bullet left you fire it. What do you think Denver's HC thought as he took his team into the locker room. He probably told his guys, "they don't want it. They are already on the bus. Fellas lets give these quitters a kick in the a$$ on their way to the bus." Motivation never came easier for the OPPONENT.

This wasn't quoting - it was regrouping.  It wasn't the end of the game - it was the end of the half.  If you're QB is banged up - you've been playing poorly on offense - I see no issue with this at all.

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Bowles:  He coaches not to lose badly.  He does not, and never has, coached to win.

That is a big problem with his coaching style and why it won't work with a rookie QB. Maybe if we get a Cousins or Luck, your could win with bowles because he is less likely to coach scared but if we get a rookie it would be another 3 years of Uber conservative play calling like we saw Sunday. 

38 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

You are down by 10.

You are LOSING the dman game.

You are a 5 win team hanging by a thread.

It is IDIOTIC.

Lets look at a team with a brain, the Pats.  They always seem to be scoring late in the half.

This isn't a situation in which we had 20 seconds left and were on our own 20 yard line.  They were trying a long field goal we could have had over a minute left and 2 time outs left.

It is simply indefensible.

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

This wasn't quoting - it was regrouping.  It wasn't the end of the game - it was the end of the half.  If you're QB is banged up - you've been playing poorly on offense - I see no issue with this at all.

LOL, regrouping during an active game, so damn  funny.  You regroup at half time not a minute before.  Anyone that thinks this was a good thing is brainless.  My apologies before hand for those that I offend but I am serous when i say that.

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

You are down by 10.

It is IDIOTIC.

Lets look at a team with a brain, the Pats.  They always seem to be scoring late in the half.

This isn't a situation in which we had 20 seconds left and were on our own 20 yard line.  They were trying a long field goal we could have had over a minute left and 2 time outs left.

I get all that. But the oline was playing like absolute crap. McCown was broken. What if they hurry it up and oline fails again causing McCown to get sacked and fumble. AGAIN.  Resulting in more Denver points? Or a throw a pick? Would we be saying, “good call by the coach”. It’s not like McCown was healthy and killing it in the first half. If so, then I’d understand. 

But it’s true, you’re 5-7, throw bombs and go down swinging. 

9 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

LOL, regrouping during an active game, so damn  funny.  You regroup at half time not a minute before.  Anyone that thinks this was a good thing is brainless.  My apologies before hand for those that I offend but I am serous when i say that.

I see it all the time - teams at the end of the half - with the ball - take a knee and run out the clock.  No one has a problem with that.

The difference here is he would have had a minute instead of :30.  This entire thread is a bit of an overreaction.

New York Jets head coach Todd Bowles watches during the second half of an NFL football game against the Denver Broncos, Sunday, Dec. 10, 2017, in Denver. (AP Photo | Joe Mahoney)
By Connor Hughes

Bowles refused to stop the clock. McManus made the kick, and when the Jets offense trotted on the field, just 32 seconds remained. Josh McCown took a knee to end the half, and the Jets went in down 13-0. "It was 30 seconds, and Josh (McCown) was pretty banged up right there," Bowles said. "So the best thing we could do with getting the ball in the second half was take a knee and let him heal up and go back out in the second half." In theory, that makes some sense. McCown took a shot to the back in the second quarter, and missed two plays. When he returned, he threw an ugly interception. It didn't look like he was 100 percent. But was a 15-minute break really going to make that much of a difference? It's hard to make that argument. This isn't the first time Bowles has struggled with clock and game management. Against the Bills in 2016, he forgot to go for two points, which kept Buffalo in the game late. While the Jets held on, Bowles admitted a day later he messed up. Three weeks later, with the Jets trailing the Steelers by two scores with just over seven minutes left, Bowles elected to punt instead of attempting a 4th and 2 near midfield. The Steelers sealed the game on their ensuing possession with a 71-yard touchdown drive.

This year, also against the Bills, Bowles took his offense off the field facing a 4th and 8 at their own 44 yard line down nine. The Bills -- who had marched the ball up and down the field all day -- picked up a first down, and made the Jets use each of their time outs. It ended any real hope of a comeback. There are a handful of other similar situations in between. The Jets are better than many believed Bowles has played a part in that, and deserves additional credit for the development of players like wideout Robby Anderson, linebacker Darron Lee, and safeties Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye. For that, he'll likely be brought back in 2018. But just like his players .. Bowles needs to keep improving. Right now, the same things that plagued him as a rookie coach are still popping up. That can't happen. Bowles has to be better. If he's not, it's hard to see him staying in Florham Park past for a fifth year.

Here's hoping he's done after 3 years. 

8 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I see it all the time - teams at the end of the half - with the ball - take a knee and run out the clock.  No one has a problem with that.

The difference here is he would have had a minute instead of :30.  This entire thread is a bit of an overreaction.

Teams kneel on the ball when they are on their own 20 with 20 seconds left.  No on kneels when they will have  minute left, 2 time outs and the potential to have the ball on their own 40. 

In theory, it actually doesn't make any ******* sense but whatever, didn't matter anyway because the other part of Todd's blunders Sunday that this article is missing is that Todd literally gave up the second his boo sauce got hurt.  Which is honestly much worse than just another in a long list of clock management blunders. He's worse than Herm from that perspective. 

Todd Bowles gets credit for Robbie Anderson?  Please.  No.  Todd Bowles doesn't know the first ******* thing about playing WR and he out right admitted that he doesn't spend anytime with the offense.  Which in turn is damning to Todd Bowles because his Defense is atrocious and Adams, Lee and Leo are all as JAGy as JAGs get and they were 1st round picks.  Other than Marcus Maye, has Todd got anything out of a single other Defensive player he's drafted?  No.  The answer is not ******* at all.

But, cant wait to see what he does in 2018!!!!  So excited. 

55 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

This is 100% why you need to take the time out there. You can still kill the clock if you want but if they missed the field goal you want that time.

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

In theory, it actually doesn't make any ******* sense but whatever, didn't matter anyway because the other part of Todd's blunders Sunday that this article is missing is that Todd literally gave up the second his boo sauce got hurt.  Which is honestly much worse than just another in a long list of clock management blunders. He's worse than Herm from that perspective. 

Todd Bowles gets credit for Robbie Anderson?  Please.  No.  Todd Bowles doesn't know the first ******* thing about playing WR and he out right admitted that he doesn't spend anytime with the offense.  Which in turn is damning to Todd Bowles because his Defense is atrocious and Adams, Lee and Leo are all as JAGy as JAGs get and they were 1st round picks.  Other than Marcus Maye, has Todd got anything out of a single other Defensive player he's drafted?  No.  The answer is not ******* at all.

But, cant wait to see what he does in 2018!!!!  So excited. 

I’m just impressed the Jets managed to have all 3 timeouts with 2 minutes left.   I would bet money that its happened less than 5 Times during Bowles tenure.  

29 minutes ago, Ken Shroy said:
New York Jets head coach Todd Bowles watches during the second half of an NFL football game against the Denver Broncos, Sunday, Dec. 10, 2017, in Denver. (AP Photo | Joe Mahoney)
By Connor Hughes

Bowles refused to stop the clock. McManus made the kick, and when the Jets offense trotted on the field, just 32 seconds remained. Josh McCown took a knee to end the half, and the Jets went in down 13-0. "It was 30 seconds, and Josh (McCown) was pretty banged up right there," Bowles said. "So the best thing we could do with getting the ball in the second half was take a knee and let him heal up and go back out in the second half." In theory, that makes some sense. McCown took a shot to the back in the second quarter, and missed two plays. When he returned, he threw an ugly interception. It didn't look like he was 100 percent. But was a 15-minute break really going to make that much of a difference? It's hard to make that argument. This isn't the first time Bowles has struggled with clock and game management. Against the Bills in 2016, he forgot to go for two points, which kept Buffalo in the game late. While the Jets held on, Bowles admitted a day later he messed up. Three weeks later, with the Jets trailing the Steelers by two scores with just over seven minutes left, Bowles elected to punt instead of attempting a 4th and 2 near midfield. The Steelers sealed the game on their ensuing possession with a 71-yard touchdown drive.

This year, also against the Bills, Bowles took his offense off the field facing a 4th and 8 at their own 44 yard line down nine. The Bills -- who had marched the ball up and down the field all day -- picked up a first down, and made the Jets use each of their time outs. It ended any real hope of a comeback. There are a handful of other similar situations in between. The Jets are better than many believed Bowles has played a part in that, and deserves additional credit for the development of players like wideout Robby Anderson, linebacker Darron Lee, and safeties Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye. For that, he'll likely be brought back in 2018. But just like his players .. Bowles needs to keep improving. Right now, the same things that plagued him as a rookie coach are still popping up. That can't happen. Bowles has to be better. If he's not, it's hard to see him staying in Florham Park past for a fifth year.

Here's hoping he's done after 3 years. 

He was banged up at 2pm but at 2:12 pm when the game resumed he was not going to be banged up anymore? Bowltite: G T F O O H you moron. 

What pisses me off to no end is this guys continual insulting of the fans intelligence. Oh yeah I busted my arm at 9pm but at 9:30 it will be all healed and ready to go. Give us a friggin break already man...god almighty what a buffoon.

45 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

You are down by 10.

It is IDIOTIC.

Did you get Cmarts approval to disagree with our imperious leader?

1 hour ago, Freemanm said:

Todd Bowles’ weird explanation for not being more aggressive

December 11, 2017 | 10:23pm

Todd Bowles explained why he did not take a timeout with just over a minute left in the first half Sunday in Denver, but it probably won’t make Jets fans happy.

The situation was this: The Jets stopped the Broncos on third down at the Jets’ 35 with about 1:10 left in the half. Denver called on its field-goal unit. Bowles had all three timeouts left. Instead of using one and giving his offense the ball with about a minute left and two timeouts, he allowed the Broncos to run the clock down before the field goal. After Brandon McManus made the 53-yard kick, the Jets got the ball with 32 seconds left. They took a knee.

The Broncos were up 13-0 at the time, and the Jets were receiving the second-half kickoff. Bowles felt with the Jets offense doing nothing, it was not worth taking the risk of going for it at the end of the half.

“At that rate we were playing, we needed to go in and regroup,” Bowles explained.

Quarterback Josh McCown had also been dealing with a hip injury he suffered earlier in the quarter. Bowles indicated that played a role in the decision to just take a knee and go to the locker room.

“Josh was pretty banged up right there,” Bowles said. “The best thing we could do getting the ball in the second half was take a knee and let him heal up and go back out in the second half.”

image.gif

Bowltite you god damned moron, if Josh is injured, then put Petty in the game with a minute left and have him throw the god damned ball downfield a time or 2 and maybe the flag men will help you? Are you conscious? Do you see how many flags these ass clown refs are throwing in all of these games? You should know by now since most of the flags thrown are against your team! So the QB is broken down, but we are supposed to believe that he will be ok with a 12 minute half time break? What a f***ing idiot this guy is. It never ceases to amaze me how this guy continues to insult our intelligence.

"Talent wise, they're not very good. Yet Bowles has them playing their hearts out most weeks, and in most games. "

People keep repeating this fable.  Rookies, UDFA and guys almost out of the league are playing hard.  The offense is playing hard.

Mo wilk is a loafer, lee has a sh*t attitude, Leo Williams has underachieved, the whole defense is totally undisciplined re penalties.

The guys we pay the most that are most important for success are no plaything hard all the time for him.

If we had any offense to speak of Sunday I'd agree.

McCown had 18 yards in the first half, was hurt, and Denver had 2 timeouts. 

Sure maybe that could have caused a spark but we were a wet lighter on Sunday. Maybe you argue that he should have iced the kicker but even then that's not really proven to work. There are plenty of issues I have with Bowles, I'm not overly upset with this particular issue though.

Totally unacceptable.  The Broncos were trying a 53 yarder, they missed a closer one earlier in the game.  You take a T.O. prior to the kick, if he misses you get the ball at the 43 with 1:07 left (and still 2 TOs remaining).  Even if he hits it you get the ball at your own 25 with 1:07 left and two T.O.s. remaining.

I was screaming at the TV to take a TO!!

Archived