Bowles explains not being aggressive (MERGED)

Freemanm

12 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

If we had any offense to speak of Sunday I'd agree.

McCown had 18 yards in the first half, was hurt, and Denver had 2 timeouts. 

Sure maybe that could have caused a spark but we were a wet lighter on Sunday. Maybe you argue that he should have iced the kicker but even then that's not really proven to work. There are plenty of issues I have with Bowles, I'm not overly upset with this particular issue though.

We re not doing well on offense thus we better not even try to do better so we don't look bad not doing well.

Makes perfect frggin sense.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Yea cause why factor in an interception or a strip sack as a possibility from an injured QB.

Or maybe he can throw a TD, or they put someone else in who isn't injured, instead of trotting Frankenstein back out there. 

Whether it was a good decision or bad decision ... my biggest issue is we "regrouped" at half time and came out with THE EXACT SAME CRAP FROM THE FIRST HALF.

First drive - 11 yards punt

Denver score another TD

Next drive - 5 yards, punt

Regroup?? How do you tell the difference?

2 hours ago, slats said:

Where does he explain not letting Petty throw the football down 23 points? 

The explanation for this is not getting Petty killed by Von Miller... lest they are forced to play Christian "lack of" Hackuracy.

Another example of just how bad he must be in practice.

There are a lot of NFL coaches that coach like this. It isn’t specific to Bowles. Theres just not a ton of ingenuity in the league outside of New England. Don’t really have a solid reason as to why either.

Wouldnt mind the next hire being a college guy that doesn’t give a sh*t about NFL norms.

32 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

Is that the first time anyone used that name for Hack? If so, it deserves an award of some sort. Brilliant.

Not the first time I used it on this board.  But it is a RoadFan custom original.  Glad you like it.  The last time I posted it, another JN member said it was lousy.

56 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

There are a lot of NFL coaches that coach like this. It isn’t specific to Bowles. Theres just not a ton of ingenuity in the league outside of New England. Don’t really have a solid reason as to why either.

Wouldnt mind the next hire being a college guy that doesn’t give a sh*t about NFL norms.

No. There is NOT. All 31 of the other Head Coaches call a timeout there and try to score. Every single one. Bowles should be fired for quitting in the second half, but he should also be fired for explaining why in his own words from his own mouth why he is too big of a pussy to be a NFL jead coach

8 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

I get all that. But the oline was playing like absolute crap. McCown was broken. What if they hurry it up and oline fails again causing McCown to get sacked and fumble. AGAIN.  Resulting in more Denver points? Or a throw a pick? Would we be saying, “good call by the coach”. It’s not like McCown was healthy and killing it in the first half. If so, then I’d understand. 

But it’s true, you’re 5-7, throw bombs and go down swinging. 

What ifs are the definition of scared coaching!  If you are a heas coach you believe in your guys to step up and make a play, you believe in your ciaching staff and the game plan, even when it isnt going to plan (in game adjustments).  You dont play the what if this happens or this happens.

Coward plain and simple.

Bowles preferred to trot an injured 38 year-old QB back out, risking his health, than put in his backup for more than the absolutely required number of plays.  He preferred to abandon even trying to score points because said starting QB was hurt, rather than put the backup in and let him sling it.

There is no possible excuse for this other than a personal agenda that has absolutely nothing to do with winning football games.  And I don't believe there is any possible way to rationalize that this man is an effective HC who you want running the team in 2018.  Even if you don't like Petty, this is something that no other HC in the league would have justified.

Bye Todd.  Don't let the doorknob hit ya...

9 hours ago, peebag said:

One thing (out of many during the game) - why send McCown back out after he was clearly hurting?  Just give him rest for that one drive.  But no, send him back out to throw a pick.  Way to go Todd!

i'm with you on that.  imo mccown should've been pulled in the first half after he got that twinge.  he was doing nothing up that point and it was clear he was getting rocked.  petty could've come in, played out the half and then got some coaching during half time.

and the explanation for not getting the ball with a minute left is worse than how it actually played out.  the patsies have made a living out of scoring points without much time towards the end of halves.

This guy is so stupid he didn’t trust the vaunted Jets offense offense to put up a quick score before the half despite having of his choice of an injured Josh McCown, Bryce Petty, or Christian Hackenberg at QB. He does not get it and I am ******* outraged. Be aggressive! Believe in your players and they will repay your respect and honesty back tenfold! How does he not know this? McCown/Petty/Hackenberg to Robby Anderson, all day!

Sorry but Bowles is wrong here. At 5-7 what little hope our team had for the playoffs was on the line. You need to take every reasonable risk you can. Not calling the timeout is foolish. Even more foolish is putting an injured QB out on the field. Infact it's FIREABLE. You caused your starting QB his season at the end of the day. He was banged up he should have been OUT. He broke his hand because when you are hurting, you are not thinking about protecting your body therefore it caused Josh to not protect himself and break his hand. Todd Bowles is a foolish ignorant a**hole at the end of the day and should be FIRED.

9 hours ago, Beerfish said:

You are down by 10.

You are LOSING the dman game.

You are a 5 win team hanging by a thread.

It is IDIOTIC.

Lets look at a team with a brain, the Pats.  They always seem to be scoring late in the half.

This isn't a situation in which we had 20 seconds left and were on our own 20 yard line.  They were trying a long field goal we could have had over a minute left and 2 time outs left.

It is simply indefensible.

I agree with what you're saying.  But it's also easy to have balls when Tom Brady is your QB.

9 hours ago, Ken Shroy said:

Bowles needs to keep improving.

the same things that plagued him as a rookie coach are still popping up.

needs to keep improving

the same things... are still popping up

keep improving

the same things

orig?ts=636053890162234243

Connor Eyes.png

9 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

I’m just impressed the Jets managed to have all 3 timeouts with 2 minutes left.   I would bet money that its happened less than 5 Times during Bowles tenure.  

He only wastes timeouts in the 2nd half. You know, when they really matter.

5 hours ago, slats said:

Where does he explain not letting Petty throw the football down 23 points? 

To be fair, they did let Petty throw when he went in for relief of McCown in the 3rd quarter.

He went 1/6 for 7 yards.

Sure, I would've rather watched him go down slinging it for the rest of the game, but he didn't exactly inspire confidence.

Not defending Bowles here, just saying.

4 hours ago, HessStation said:

Not Herm, nor Rex or even back to Kotite have I ever truly felt this bitter towards even attempting to root for this sh*thole franchise. 

Right with ya. Been disgusted with them all year and have had zero respect for them since the day McCown was declared starter. Which had a 500% chance of happening no matter what. Fvck Bowles this guy is the worst and most gutless coach I have ever seen 

You don't have faith in Bryce Petty to go 20 yards in 60 seconds with 3 timeouts to get into field goal range?  Shut up Todd, you won a game on the road with Petty last year.  Don't act like he's a rookie.  Not an acceptable explanation.  Bowles just doesn't have what it takes it seems.

Archived