Bowles explains not being aggressive (MERGED)

Freemanm

10 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

^^This.

The NFL should really start letting teams dress more than one QB for games.

I'd moreso argue for more contact in practice and more reps all around. Chances of you winning a game with your back up QB when you are already losing is so small. Mainly why I'd rather wait until after this game to judge Petty. 

Not that we played remotely competitive but that game was over as soon as McCown got hurt. Like it or hate it he's been a huge factor in us being competitive this season. 

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I took the DeLorean for a spin and picked up a paper from next Monday.  Thought you'd find this article interesting.  Might save everyone some time next Sunday.

Jets' Head Coach Todd Bowles Unveils New Offensive Scheme

Florham Park, December 17, 2017.  Todd Bowles is out to change the way football is played and showed off his new philosophy today to the amazement of the football world.  With the Jets receiving the opening kickoff as settling for a touchback, Bowles got the new look going from the first play.  Backup QB, Bryce Petty, in because of an injury to Josh McCown last week, took the first snap and immediately dropped to a knee.  The Jets went on to run this play three consecutive times, ultimately choosing to change it up on fourth down by punting.  

It didn't work out well as the Saints, starting on their own 45-yard line after a 17 yard runback, scored on four plays, culminating with an 18-yard run by Alvin Kamara.  The Jets continued to stick to their game-plan however, choosing not to attempt a run or pass until their first possession of the second half.  Ultimately, the experiment led to a 37-3 loss, but coach Bowles was not deterred.  In his press conference following the game, he explained

"We knew that a lot of bad things can happen when you try to move the ball too aggressively so we decided to speed up the clock and try to get out of the first half without any turnovers.  Although this put us a little bit behind in the score (20-0 at halftime), we felt it gave us the best chance to keep the game close and try to win it in the second half".  

Surprisingly, despite Petty completing four of his first five pass attempts, the Jets returned to the run on their second drive in the second half, attempting only two more passes the rest of the way.  Petty finished the game on 5-7 for 72 yards including a 21-yard completion to Robby Anderson that was his last pass attempt on the day.

Bowles went on to say "The injury to Josh forced us to rework the offense a bit but we're happy with the result and we're looking to build on this next week."

13 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

To be fair, they did let Petty throw when he went in for relief of McCown in the 3rd quarter.

He went 1/6 for 7 yards.

Sure, I would've rather watched him go down slinging it for the rest of the game, but he didn't exactly inspire confidence.

Not defending Bowles here, just saying.

Well we all know that your only option is to sling it or run....

14 hours ago, Hitman Harris said:

Right with ya. Been disgusted with them all year and have had zero respect for them since the day McCown was declared starter. Which had a 500% chance of happening no matter what. Fvck Bowles this guy is the worst and most gutless coach I have ever seen 

Even Vermin Edwards knew you had to play to win the game.

Archived