Head Coaching Candidates

BCJet

Adding to the already confusing situation surrounding Todd Bowles and the fact that his own GM cant fire him is the fact that this is an abnormally bad year for young HC Candidates. 

There is no Kyle Shanahan or Sean McVay or even a Jay Gruden that are up and coming guys who are ready for a HC job.

Given the fact that the Bears and Giants will definitely have openings, along with some combination of the Colts, Bucs, Raiders, Browns and Bengals all might have openings, Im curious who you guys would want to come in here as HC.

The biggest candidates out there that are realistic (Josh McDaniels and Matt Patricia arent coming here) are Jim Schwartz, Teryl Austin, Mike Vrabel, Harold Goodwin, Matt LaFleur, Pat Schurmur, John DeFlillipo and Todd Haley.  Not exactly the most inspiring list.....

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, BCJet said:

Adding to the already confusing situation surrounding Todd Bowles and the fact that his own GM cant fire him is the fact that this is an abnormally bad year for young HC Candidates. 

There is no Kyle Shanahan or Sean McVay or even a Jay Gruden that are up and coming guys who are ready for a HC job.

Given the fact that the Bears and Giants will definitely have openings, along with some combination of the Colts, Bucs, Raiders, Browns and Bengals all might have openings, Im curious who you guys would want to come in here as HC.

The biggest candidates out there that are realistic (Josh McDaniels and Matt Patricia arent coming here) are Jim Schwartz, Teryl Austin, Mike Vrabel, Harold Goodwin, Matt LaFleur, Pat Schurmur, John DeFlillipo and Todd Haley.  Not exactly the most inspiring list.....

I would go with Shurmur. Done a good job in Minnesota

18 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I know people all want 'experienced' guys after so many new coaches but even though he is just a pup Lincoln Riley from Oklahoma will make a good NFL head coach one of these years.

Id take Lincoln Riley and Baker Mayfield combo this instant.  I just cant see Riley wanting to leave that situation in Oklahoma, he could coach there and do well for the next 20 years.

If Schwartz could bring his defense here and keep the offensive staff, I would be all for it.

My biggest question would be how would our front 7 need to evolve to play the 4-3 scheme schwartz runs?  I think it would mostly benefit Leo who could move into the Dareus/fletcher cox role and be able to attack.

We could potentially sign Ziggy Ansah or Brandon Graham (possible cap casualty) to help round our the defensive line, but would definitely need bodies to play his scheme up front.

2 hours ago, BCJet said:

would we want McDaniels or Patricia?  we have seen McDaniels as a HC and it wasn't good plus how many former BB assistants have succeeded?  These guys look a lot different(BB included) when they aren't around Tom Brady.

1 hour ago, New York Mick said:

I think Bowels will last one more season before he’s canned. They have to give him this years draft so he can get a QB in the first round that the next coach can cut ties with because he didn’t draft him. 

I really think the most important thing is to build up the front office so the Jets can maximize the talent acquired.  I just think that Mac is light.

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Why do people keep insisting that Bowles is going to get an extension? Why cant' he be a lame duck coach?

That would be a great idea for both of them.  Let both of them go through the offseason and prove what they can build together.

Archived