Head Coaching Candidates

BCJet

22 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Why do people keep insisting that Bowles is going to get an extension? Why cant' he be a lame duck coach?

Most likely because literally everyone but Jets fans have been praising him all year. 

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Doing what?  Jerkin off?

Chris is on record as saying this was a rebuild year, and they were looking for improvement during the year.  Petty playing is a built in excuse now

If they finish on a very low note, losing the last 3 games like they did last week it could still happen, but odds are it won't mostly because woody is in London and Chris doesn't want to force a search on him 

5 minutes ago, Larz said:

Chris is on record as saying this was a rebuild year, and they were looking for improvement during the year.  Petty playing is a built in excuse now

If they finish on a very low note, losing the last 3 games like they did last week it could still happen, but odds are it won't mostly because woody is in London and Chris doesn't want to force a search on him 

So from 5-11 to 5-11 is improvement?

3 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

If you do not see improvement on this team from last year, at least to date, then you are probably on the wrong site.

I think that may be the case anyway.

There is improvement in the team, mainly the chemistry and effort that the NEW players have brought.

Bowles as a HC hasnt improved one iota.  Has there been any clear improvement in clock management, challenges, schematic execution, playing time, or ability to manage the players?

Wilkerson has been late at least 5 times and he was benched for one quarter.

Bowles just let a minute run off the clock prior to the opposition attempting a 53 yard fg with 3 TOs in his pocket

Do we ever win a challenge?

Has he continued to play matt forte over powell and mcguire?  Did he give reps to jeremy kerley?

The guy has shown no ability to excel at any of the facets of being a HC and his acumen can be evaluated separately from the improvement of  young players on the roster.

4 hours ago, Jet Blast said:

Why not Morton? At least, give him an interview.

I was listening to some Jets podcast and they were mentioning Morton being from the Gruden tree and loves to play veterans over rookies. And probably why we haven't seen guys like Stewart get a ton of time. Same with Hansen until Kerley was out. If that's true, i'd be worried about him turning into another Bowles. 

Wrong! His first improvement was staff hiring and selections. His second improvement was being more active and assertive with team moral and overall vision. 5-11 this year compared to last year is a great difference considering the roster. Goes to show, sometimes isn’t if you lose... but more so how you lose when rebuilding.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

1 hour ago, section314 said:

Not even close.....Marvin Lewis has that award retired for life.

I vote Jeff Fisher, but alas he is no longer in the league.

19 minutes ago, UnTypicalJET said:

Wrong! His first improvement was staff hiring and selections. His second improvement was being more active and assertive with team moral and overall vision. 5-11 this year compared to last year is a great difference considering the roster. Goes to show, sometimes isn’t if you lose... but more so how you lose when rebuilding.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Why is this roster worse than last year?  Is Beachum worse than a few weeks of Clady?  Is McCown worse than Fitzpatrick?  Is that quitting lockerroom cancer some great loss?  Literally the only big losses to the team were Richardson and Pryor.  Revis was hurt and out of shape.  Claiborne is an improvement and I am one of a very few people that think Revis can still play in the league.

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

So from 5-11 to 5-11 is improvement?

I would say so. Last year the Jets had 7 double digit losses, so far this year we only have 2... Record may be the same but last years team was a pathetic sad sack that had no business being on an NFL field for half their games. Anyone who watches the games would have to agree this years team was clearly better... 

22 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I would say so. Last year the Jets had 7 double digit losses, so far this year we only have 2... Record may be the same but last years team was a pathetic sad sack that had no business being on an NFL field for half their games. Anyone who watches the games would have to agree this years team was clearly better... 

This was up there with the other guy's analysis from yesterday.

Press isn't calling for his head.  Check.  Losing by less points?  Check.

#improvement   #trusttheprocess

26 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

This was up there with the other guy's analysis from yesterday.

Press isn't calling for his head.  Check.  Losing by less points?  Check.

#improvement   #trusttheprocess

I call it like I see it. This years team is clearly a better, more competitive team than last years. I'd have no problem dumping Bowles (I don't think he's the answer) but clearly the team is better than last year. You'd have to be totally delusional not to think so, even if the only reason was McCown's shockingly competent play.

22 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I call it like I see it. This years team is clearly a better, more competitive team than last years. I'd have no problem dumping Bowles (I don't think he's the answer) but clearly the team is better than last year. You'd have to be totally delusional not to think so, even if the only reason was McCown's shockingly competent play.

Totally delusional to think that 5-11 = 5-11?

While you are judging their "competitiveness" in losses, maybe consider strength of schedule.  This is what got our front office in trouble after 2015

I’d look at Paul Chryst the Wisconsin head coach. Won at Pitt and is winning at Wiscy with B athletes in a conference that’s improved athletically. 

Thats a solid program from top to bottom and he seems to know what he’s doing as a “CEO” type coach. It’s time for the Jets to think slightly out of the box and lure someone with $$$ instead of cheaping out on conservative D coordinators.

8 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Ben McAdoo would like a word with you

The only thing I know of that they have in common is their job titles.

6 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

I was listening to some Jets podcast and they were mentioning Morton being from the Gruden tree and loves to play veterans over rookies. And probably why we haven't seen guys like Stewart get a ton of time. Same with Hansen until Kerley was out. If that's true, i'd be worried about him turning into another Bowles. 

If that's case, I would have the same concern. That said, I have to think he is at least somewhat (if not a lot) responsible for the improvement in our offense this season.

On 12/12/2017 at 1:36 PM, UnitedWhofans said:

Why do people keep insisting that Bowles is going to get an extension? Why cant' he be a lame duck coach?

Going into a pivotal off-season where you need to draft a QB, and handing the development over to a guy who you're already planning to fire at the end of the year is so mind numbingly stupid, that I have zero doubts that it is exactly what we're going to do.

If Bowles is staying, he's probably getting an extension.  End of story. 

On 12/12/2017 at 1:07 PM, BCJet said:

Adding to the already confusing situation surrounding Todd Bowles and the fact that his own GM cant fire him is the fact that this is an abnormally bad year for young HC Candidates. 

There is no Kyle Shanahan or Sean McVay or even a Jay Gruden that are up and coming guys who are ready for a HC job.

Given the fact that the Bears and Giants will definitely have openings, along with some combination of the Colts, Bucs, Raiders, Browns and Bengals all might have openings, Im curious who you guys would want to come in here as HC.

The biggest candidates out there that are realistic (Josh McDaniels and Matt Patricia arent coming here) are Jim Schwartz, Teryl Austin, Mike Vrabel, Harold Goodwin, Matt LaFleur, Pat Schurmur, John DeFlillipo and Todd Haley.  Not exactly the most inspiring list.....

Al Groh?

I would give Todd Haley a shot. He was in a little over his head in KC but I think he learned valuable lessons from that debacle. Shurmur and Riley are both strong offensive minded coaches, but they are first timers and I don't want that.  Vrabel will be a HC someday, but another defensive coach for the Jets no thanks.

20 hours ago, Ex-Rex said:

I would give Todd Haley a shot. He was in a little over his head in KC but I think he learned valuable lessons from that debacle. Shurmur and Riley are both strong offensive minded coaches, but they are first timers and I don't want that.  Vrabel will be a HC someday, but another defensive coach for the Jets no thanks.

Shurmer was HC in Cleveland

Archived