Kenny Britt reportedly nearing Patriots deal

joewilly12

Kenny Britt Reportedly Nearing Patriots Contract After Being Waived by Browns

ALEC NATHANDECEMBER 12, 2017

DETROIT, MI - NOVEMBER 12:  Kenny Britt #18 of the Cleveland Browns scores a touchdown against Glover Quin #27 of the Detroit Lions during the first quarter at Ford Field on November 12, 2017 in Detroit, Michigan. (Photo by Gregory Shamus/Getty Images)
Gregory Shamus/Getty Images

The New England Patriots and free-agent wide receiver Kenny Britt are reportedly nearing an agreement on a contract after the nine-year veteran was cut by the Cleveland Browns on Friday, according to ESPN.com's Field Yates

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reported Britt will ink a two-year deal with the Patriots "that locks him in through 2018."

Britt signed a four-year, $32.5 million deal that included $17 million guaranteed to join the Browns in the offseason, and it appeared to be a savvy signing for a team in need of playmakers after the 29-year-old erupted for 68 catches, 1,002 yards and five touchdowns during his lone season with the Los Angeles Rams

However, the Browns never sniffed that kind of production. 

In nine games, Britt managed 18 receptions on 38 targets for 233 yards and a pair of scores. 

Britt also ran into disciplinary trouble when he and fellow wide receiver Corey Coleman were sent home for missing curfew before the team's 33-17 loss to the Houston Texans on October 15. According to Cleveland.com's Mary Kay Cabot, that incident put Britt "in jeopardy of being cut."

The Rutgers product was able to hang around through the first week of December, but new general manager John Dorsey—who replaced the jettisoned Sashi Brownsent Britt packing one day into his tenure with the club. 

Now headed to the Patriots, Britt should be on a mission to prove he can rediscover the form that allowed him to secure such a handsome payday from the Browns. 

That may not be easy at this point in the season, but if Britt can establish some quick chemistry with Tom Brady and hunker down with the playbook, the 6'3", 223-pounder could soon emerge as an intriguing jump-ball option inside the red zone for a Patriots passing game that was uncharacteristically off in a Week 14 loss to the Miami Dolphins

This is the kind of guy New England always seems to be able to absorb without any major negative impact.  A talented guy with character problems who will probably be thrilled to win and knows he'll be on the shortest of leashes by Belichick.  Plus he'll probably come into a very professional clubhouse (I'm guessing this) and try to fit in.  The Pats absorbed Randy Moss (who IIRC was signed as a UFA), Chad Ochocinco (who IIRC, I don't think did quite as well as Moss), RB LeGarrette Blount and RB Corey Dillon.  In any case, it seems like a low-risk/high reward move for the Pats.

6 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

This is the kind of guy New England always seems to be able to absorb without any major negative impact.  A talented guy with character problems who will probably be thrilled to win and knows he'll be on the shortest of leashes by Belichick.  Plus he'll probably come into a very professional clubhouse (I'm guessing this) and try to fit in.  The Pats absorbed Randy Moss (who IIRC was signed as a UFA), Chad Ochocinco (who IIRC, I don't think did quite as well as Moss), RB LeGarrette Blount and RB Corey Dillon.  In any case, it seems like a low-risk/high reward move for the Pats.

if you without impact means the rest of the team continues to play you're right.  but it does seem like britt is just a wr version of hainsworth.

6 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

But this guy is much worse than anyone they ever had 

Archived