Off Roaders Rejoice !

The Crimson King

By off roaders, I mean people who know what an obstacle or a waterfall is and have been out crawling on the rocks following their spotter with their stomach knotted and a huge grin on their face. The kind of folks that lift a Rubicon and consider adding snorkels and winches. Off roaders always seem to be close to the edge and when mountains come out of the the sky, they climb them.

Well if you are one, you will be thrilled with the new Jeep. The same HP but better low end torque. The reviews all cite better on road handling (although still laughable in that area) but at least more livable and a much more upscale interior. 

The best news of all come for those who have ever struggled with the convertible top. There are easy on-off panels that come off the roof and windows. Even better is a much easier (just 4 bolts) door removal process and finally there is an easy way to take down the windshield. Enough to make one break down in tears of joy. There is also a new 8 speed AT. I know some think that a manual is the only way to go and I agree whole heartedly if you are talking sports cars, but if you have ever been hanging by the seatbelts on a steep down angle struggling to reach that clutch, maybe you agree with me that just leaving the AT in 1st gear makes some sense.  

If you are one of us, you know that the only Jeep worthy of trails like Poison Spider, Elephant Hill, Rubicon and Pinkham Canyon is a 2 door Wrangler. The Unlimited has just too big a turning radius and way less fun. The other Jeep models are just Dodges with Jeep components that you will destroy if you take them to these places. This is the "Sport" part of SUV and the only vehicle worthy of the tag. All other manufacturers "SUV's" are just raised cars and you will be looking at a long hike out of the canyon after you get stuck there. 

The problem is that owing one of these gems in NY is like having a Border Collie in a city apartment. Great animal, unlivable location for it.

I post this here because in the short time I have been posting that I have come to believe that the posters in this lounge are unusually cool for a board of this sort.

So anyone else dreaming of Moab?

Funny that you posted this.  I was just reading up about fixing up my cousin's old lifted CJ7 that I inherited and read a review of the JL.  They seem to love it.  Personally, I don't see offroading a brand new rig.  Old, rusty and cut up is the way to go.  I did most of my damage with a '79 Ramcharger which I never drove until after it was totalled.  High and tough, but that thing had zero articulation.

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Any pics of your Jeep?  

As a NYer, it is not absolutely not worth having one here but we have several sources out west in UT, AZ and CA since the 80's when we started doing this for off road set up rentals. Had some good ones and some not so good. My dream is to have a place in Moab with my own Jeep in the garage. Here I'd rather have a sports car for the twisty turnies. Much more appropriate.

Plus years ago Hertz used to rent Rubicons in LAX and SLC believe it or not until they figured they were getting wrecked out there :)

58 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Funny that you posted this.  I was just reading up about fixing up my cousin's old lifted CJ7 that I inherited and read a review of the JL.  They seem to love it.  Personally, I don't see offroading a brand new rig.  Old, rusty and cut up is the way to go.  I did most of my damage with a '79 Ramcharger which I never drove until after it was totalled.  High and tough, but that thing had zero articulation.

see? I told the wife that there were cool folks on this particular board

Folks from these areas agree with you whole heartedly and make fun of newbies in their new rigs. It is like being on a hiking trail sporting brand new Vasquez with no scuffs. Old rusty and cut up is the only way to go for locals. Of course most of them seem to be broke (hard to make a living in these places). It doesn't get any cooler than a CJ7 though.  

However at my age, the idea of an easy way to deal with the top, doors and windows is most attractive :)

Just now, The Crimson King said:

Sounds like a great thing to take to the new Katahdin Nat'l Monument !

Looking forward to seeing the new Bronco when it comes out

Hell yeah!

I sooooooooo want a new Bronco........ but I am a poor boy.....

I remember i bought my first brand new truck. A 4x4 isuzu trooper. I took it to the beach in december. Took out a lot of air pressure and drove around sunken meadow. I was shocked at the amout of "effort" needed to drive on sand. I thought about the beating i was giving her, all that sand swishing around the underframe doing god knows what and i never went off roading again. 

Its a rich mans hobby. If not rich, get a second, older toy project but i needed to get to work on monday. 

Btw, the isuzu was a real good reliable truck

2 hours ago, HighPitch said:

I still want another dirt bike. Now thats fun

so I'm thinking that the cost of a dirt bike = a new PRS so I looked it up

I was amazed how cheap a new one is, not even an American Strat ! (sorry, that's how I judge the expense of any item)

But don't you need the truck to haul it to the trails? 

BTW: Had a Trooper out in Big Bend NP a few years ago. I was afraid at first that it wouldn't cut it but it sure did ! I was inmpressed

Archived