Petty NOW starting, and the collosal McCown mistake

CanadaSteve

I'd say Petty at best no matter how well he does can just insert himself into the conversation next year to either be the Backup or compete for the starting job against a QB drafted. That should be the case. He obviously would just be the Backup right off the bat if we sign or trade for a QB with experience like a Cousins, Smith, etc.  The reason why I say no matter how good he plays is other aspects in the small sample size of 3 games i.e is it enough time to see if he remains durable, games are against tough teams with something to play for but there is no real pressure on the Jets so how do you know how he plays when there is pressure on the team to win games in a playoff run, etc.

2 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Joke all you want, but if Petty comes out and lights it up, it has been reported that Mac had opportunities to trade Petty this summer and he wouldn't.  That tells me he has some faith in him.  And if Petty plays REALLY well, causes more friction between Mac and Bowles because Bowles refused to play HIS guy, it could leave Mac thinking he doesn't need to burn a 1st on a QB, but rather bring in another development guy.

I am not saying I want this to happen, but this is why Petty should have played right from the start, to put to bed any doubt or hope, whichever the case may be.

I hope that is the reason.  The other possibility is that they have ZERO faith in Hackenberg.  Thus, Macc decided to keep Petty.

I think Petty deserves a shot in a system under the WCO umbrella.

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

He was 2 of 9, what is his game exactly? lol.

He was also 15-18 for 250 yards, 3 tds and an avg rec of 13.9 yards in about a quarter and a half and lest someone counters with 'only exhibition game!'

The jets as a team were trying harder in that game than in the Denver game.

Hey neither Petty or Hack is any good but I'd like to at least see a game in which they play when the rest of the team and the coaching staff actually give a F$%* in the regular season.

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

He was also 15-18 for 250 yards, 3 tds and an avg rec of 13.9 yards in about a quarter and a half and lest someone counters with 'only exhibition game!'

The jets as a team were trying harder in that game than in the Denver game.

Hey neither Petty or Hack is any good but I'd like to at least see a game in which they play when the rest of the team and the coaching staff actually give a F$%* in the regular season.

Ask Bowles and he says the Jets came out with more energy and effort playing Denver than ANY other game. No, really, he said that. I can link y’all. I almost puked at the obliviousness to how ******* stupid he looks and sounds uttering those words.

2 hours ago, JiF said:

I love how it’s a forgone conclusion that the Jets are taking a QB.  It’s not, like at all and nothing about this class and the Jets draft postion should give you this confidence. 

I’m almost willing to guarantee Macs big board will have a Defender rated above all the available QBs when the Jets pick and he will not deviate from that board.

This is absolutely true.  

Let's say the Jets are picking between 8-10.  I don't see them taking Rudolph, Falk, Allen there.  If there is a defender, OT or RB rated better, that is what they do.

But for those who say the Jets need a QB and more good players, they should trade down to a place where they are comfortable picking a starting QB.

I don't know where the Jets would come out if Jackson or Mayfield were available when then picked.  I just don't know, but I have a tough time seeing Mac taking a QB like that with such high of a pick.

Given the teams that need QBs, I actually don't see that as being a practical problem, as if Jackson and Mayfield are graded that high by other teams, they will go before 8.  On the flip side, if those teams like them slip through, I don't see Mac catching them.

4 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Sheets and giggles time.

We have three games left.  What if, and that should be capitalized, what if Petty comes out, does not get injured, even after getting hit a few times, throws for 60 percent of his passes, and a TD/INT ratio that is above average? 

It isn't a big enough sample size to truly determine his worth because he didn't get to start from game one, like he should have.  BUT, would it be enough of a sample size that it could change the draft philosophy (which it shouldn't), but what if it does?

This is why this structure of a GM not having reign over his coach and pushing the decision making is such an EPIC failure.  Petty should have got the first 7 games, and if he stunk, Hackenberg should have got the next 7 games, and if he sucked, McCown should have mopped up.  

Now, we STILL have no idea about Hackenberg, we didn't get enough evidence to either trust or put the final nail in Petty's coffin, and we are out of the top 5 for draft picks.

You can rail on Mac all you want; if he had a plan, but Bowles doesn't have to play the guys to put said plan in effect, it is all for not.

If we are going to fire Bowles, we should fire Mac, but then what Woody should do is fire his system of having coach and GM report to him, and do it the right way where the GM hires the coach, who then plays the players he is given to make the system work.  

Until then, we can copy and paste these posts three more years from now when our next GM and coach 'should be fired.' 

I think the coaching staff has a a BIG IDEA of what Hackenberg has and its evident by being inactive for almost every game in the past two years.  He was a mistake and because he was a second round pick, he cannot be cut because the powers at be just can't admit they screwed up.  

4 hours ago, Paradis said:

Better question--

Why are you even postulating such things? 

I could say -- what if Justin Burris has 6 INTs in the next 3 games? Would that change our feelings at CB??.... I don't know! Fckin' maybe?

"Hey! if this guy who always sucks, suddenly stops sucking - how'd that be?"

norm-macdonald.jpg

Because that is what we do on fan sites....we talk about what if's, what about's and maybe's.

We talk about different scenarios.

We have talked about this all season long...Why did Petty or Hack not start.  And now, Petty is starting.  And a hypothetical has been thrown forth to have a discussion.  Now, if you don't want to partake in said discussion.....:)

4 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

Petty could turn into Aaron Rodgers for the last 3 games but it won't make a difference because the sample size is too small which is why this organization is brain dead for not playing Petty and/or Hackenberg ALL year to get a definitive look at them.

My point exactly....We should NEVER had seen McCown named the starter, and I think we all knew it was going to happen the minute he was signed.

4 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It shouldn't tell you this at all. It could easily mean he knew Hackenberg wasn't worthy of 2nd string this year, and if he traded Petty he'd then have to pick up a replacement for Petty. It could also mean the opportunities to trade Petty all involved conditional 7th round picks if Petty became the new team's starter.

You don't have enough information to draw such an inference. You're glossing over the fact that Maccagnan's also the person that brought in and signed McCown when the path was cleared for Petty, and it was indirectly leaked he'd have drafted Trubisky if he was there. A person truly confident in Bryce Petty doesn't do these things.

Fair enough, but I think he has kept him more on the hopes of him turning into something more than his keeping Hack for saving face...Opinion of course.

31 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Fair enough, but I think he has kept him more on the hopes of him turning into something more than his keeping Hack for saving face...Opinion of course.

I think it's clear he kept Petty around to be a backup. The idea was to get Hackenberg onto the field as a starter this year, not Petty. The just-in-case was McCown, not Petty.

Once they saw how horrid Hackenberg still was, they weren't making him 2nd string. Not with McCown's injury history.

Once Bowles  decided on McCown at the end of training camp, I pretty much lost interest on the season as a whole and just kind of focused on players at specific positions like Anderson at WR and the other rookie receivers, McGuire at running back.   Adams and Maye have had their ups and downs and we will forever wonder if we should taken Watson or Mahomes, (especially once Mahomes is starting next season).  ASJ and the rookie TE are the best TE prospects we have had in years.  I was pleasantly surprised to see that we do have some talent on this team, on both sides of the ball and the real issue is COACHING.   If Bowles is back next season, I can honestly say I will be finding something else to do on my Sundays next season. 

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

Because that is what we do on fan sites....we talk about what if's, what about's and maybe's.

We talk about different scenarios.

We have talked about this all season long...Why did Petty or Hack not start.  And now, Petty is starting.  And a hypothetical has been thrown forth to have a discussion.  Now, if you don't want to partake in said discussion.....:)

If what you're trying to ask is -- "If Petty played extremely well, do you think that would change Management's offseason plan"... then i guess you could have just said that... lol.

and the answer is no of course. the margin for error (for Macc) is next to nonexistent. He's going to have to get a QB. 

I think these things are all true: 

1. The Jets won’t draft a QB in the first three rounds because neither Macc or Bowles want any part of waiting for a young QB to learn the game.

2. Signing McCown was stupid because there was literally no chance Todd Bowles wasn’t going to start him for as many downs as he could, a la Fitzpatrick.

3. Starting a loser like McCown is like using duct tape to re-attach your muffler to you car and the Jets will be paying for this mistake for another two years minimum. 

1 hour ago, BurnleyJet said:

No matter now, I think the whole organisation, has moved on from Petty and Hack. We will be Drafting a QB, or signing Kirk,

The next three games mean nothing  evaluation wise.

Signing Kirk Cousins would be a monumentally dumb move. The Redskins have not locked him up for a reason.

7 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Sheets and giggles time.

We have three games left.  What if, and that should be capitalized, what if Petty comes out, does not get injured, even after getting hit a few times, throws for 60 percent of his passes, and a TD/INT ratio that is above average? 

It isn't a big enough sample size to truly determine his worth because he didn't get to start from game one, like he should have.  BUT, would it be enough of a sample size that it could change the draft philosophy (which it shouldn't), but what if it does?

This is why this structure of a GM not having reign over his coach and pushing the decision making is such an EPIC failure.  Petty should have got the first 7 games, and if he stunk, Hackenberg should have got the next 7 games, and if he sucked, McCown should have mopped up.  

Now, we STILL have no idea about Hackenberg, we didn't get enough evidence to either trust or put the final nail in Petty's coffin, and we are out of the top 5 for draft picks.

You can rail on Mac all you want; if he had a plan, but Bowles doesn't have to play the guys to put said plan in effect, it is all for not.

If we are going to fire Bowles, we should fire Mac, but then what Woody should do is fire his system of having coach and GM report to him, and do it the right way where the GM hires the coach, who then plays the players he is given to make the system work.  

Until then, we can copy and paste these posts three more years from now when our next GM and coach 'should be fired.' 

I made the same points here:

23 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think these things are all true: 

1. The Jets won’t draft a QB in the first three rounds because neither Macc or Bowles want any part of waiting for a young QB to learn the game.

2. Signing McCown was stupid because there was literally no chance Todd Bowles wasn’t going to start him for as many downs as he could, a la Fitzpatrick.

3. Starting a loser like McCown is like using duct tape to re-attach your muffler to you car and the Jets will be paying for this mistake for another two years minimum. 

I think 1 is false but 2 and 3 hit the nail on the head.

3 hours ago, prime21 said:

I think the coaching staff has a a BIG IDEA of what Hackenberg has and its evident by being inactive for almost every game in the past two years.  He was a mistake and because he was a second round pick, he cannot be cut because the powers at be just can't admit they screwed up.  

Jamarcus Russel was the 1st overall pick and I'm pretty sure the Raiders cut him after 2 seasons

7 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

Petty would have to be damn near perfect for them to even think of not taking a QB. I'm talking 70 percent with 4 TDs each game no INTs and 400 yards. 

3 games is too small to have any major impact on those kind of plans.

okay, what sample size did mariota have? winston? wentz? goff?  the point is there are two ways to look at this, from a fans perspective who only sees game days and from a coaches who sees the guy every day in practice and also on game day.  imo, and i sure don't know, if hack or petty didn't start during the season it's because the coaches thought mccown was the better option.  it's all water under the bridge at this point.  will hack be ready for next season?  who knows.  petty?  at least we'll see him on game day for a few games.  and if he does do well then whatever thinking they had in starting the season with mccown goes out the window.  hindsight can be a b**ch.

4 hours ago, Paradis said:

If what you're trying to ask is -- "If Petty played extremely well, do you think that would change Management's offseason plan"... then i guess you could have just said that... lol.

and the answer is no of course. the margin for error (for Macc) is next to nonexistent. He's going to have to get a QB. 

If I said it like that, I wouldn't have irritated you so much though!

17 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

Petty could turn into Aaron Rodgers for the last 3 games but it won't make a difference because the sample size is too small which is why this organization is brain dead for not playing Petty and/or Hackenberg ALL year to get a definitive look at them.

Both these birdbrains are to blame. Mac for signing McClown in first place and Bowles for not having the guts to let Petty and Hack play to develop. McClown was strictly brought in here as a mentor. Since when do mentors start every freaking game. Brunel came to the Jets as a mentor to Sanchez. That’s a mentor. Mac and Bowles may have been in on this together and planned to keep the youngins on the bench as long as possible. 

Mac: Dang Todd these dudes suck. I’m signing McClown. I’ll disguise it and say he’ll be a mentor but you have him start EVERY game. Keep those two on the sidelines looking busy with those Microsoft tablet thingys and McClown can show them how to use it when the D is on the field. 

Bowles: Hell yea Mac, daddy need a new shrimp grill. We need to win 4-6 games to keep our jobs. 

Mac: yea and I need a new coffee maker.

Mac & Bowles in unison: ‘EXTENTIONS!’

12 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

My point exactly....We should NEVER had seen McCown named the starter, and I think we all knew it was going to happen the minute he was signed.

That disgusted me for the whole season and I have literally on;y watched 2 games this year. TOTAL. Can you guess which ones they were?

I'll give you a hint... I would be fine of there was never another sorry excuse for an NFL game ever televised again 

And I used to drive to a bar every. single. gameday. hungover and bleary and spend money watching this RIGGED GARBAGE. Until this season once that was announced. No more. And very good chance this will be the first superbowl of my life I do not watch and I won't possibly care less. 

15 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

I honestly believe that Bowles was afraid that Petty was going to look good and in order to not undermine his decision to ride McCown he didn't want folks comparing the two during practice and find that despicable. 

I am fully convinced of this from both Bowles "reactions" and body language especially after Petty completed the first 2 passes, he couldn't rush old man McClown back in fast enough to throw that pick... But the body language and look on Blowes face when he realized his old man was DONE and one of the kids would HAVE to play.... It was a look of diarrhea and terror that Petty would look decent and his sorry ass would be questioned for playing a 40 year old proven LOSER all year and wasting every opportunity to even try to right the ship here.

NO GM will EVER succeed with this fukced up "company" and it's most backwards bullsht excuse for chain of command. It's just pathetic. And now there's not even anyone in charge. Disgusting and pathetic. And they are the face of QUITTERS. 

ADMITTED QUITTERS!!!!! :angry:

Archived