OC Morton: Jets waived white flag on offense

MDL_JET

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- There were still more than 11 minutes to play in the game last Sunday, but it was going so badly for the New York Jets that offensive coordinator John Morton decided enough was enough. He admittedly waved a white flag.

It's unusual for a coach to say it, but Morton acknowledged on Thursday that he just wanted to run out the clock because he felt they "didn't have a chance" to rally against the Denver Broncos, who led the game, 23-0.

Listen, we were behind, we didn't have a chance," Morton said. "I mean, they're just dropping back in coverage and we're just going to be throwing and forcing balls. I didn't want that. I didn't think that was fair. Call it whatever you want, I just thought that was the right decision."

Morton's actions could be perceived as a lack of confidence in Petty, but the first-year coordinator insisted he has "the utmost confidence" in the young quarterback. Petty is preparing for his fifth career start.

The Jets' clunker in Denver came after their best offensive day of the season, a 38-31 win over the Kansas City Chiefs.

"Night and day," Morton said. "I'm not alarmed. Listen, that was a good team. They have a good defense. We just got our butts kicked. I got outcoached, we got outplayed, bottom line. Sometimes you just have to fess up and that was the bottom line with that."

Welp. At least he admits it. 

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Morton whom I had been a big supporter of can be added to list of people to be fired.

I played in amateur football in games our team was getting ass booted.  We never gave up like that.

He's a poor liar and I hope for his sake it was dumb ass Bowles who forced him to go into a shell, if not he can hit the friggin road as well.

John-Morton-1.jpg

For Jets fans who felt like Gang Green’s coaching staff stop trying for the win last week against the Broncos, offensive coordinator John Morton acknowledged today that the team did just that, and that doing so was his call.

With 11:00 to go and trailing by three scores, the Jets offense basically stopped trying.  “At that time, I don’t like to say, ‘No mas,’ but it was time to get out of there. They kicked our butts.  They kicked our butts. Sometimes that happens”.

It wasn’t just the unlikely odds of a comeback, but Morton says he made the call to mail it in to avoid any harm coming to his players, “I’m not going to sit there and have those guys run a bunch of routes and something bad happens.  Make bad decisions. I didn’t want that to happen. I made the decision. I just wanted to run it and get out of there.”

It’s a surprising admission from an NFL coach given the fact that every week, fans see coaching staffs playing for the win throughout the game, no matter how unlikely a comeback may be.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
pvLOOuVsI_M

Click here to read the full story...

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Morton whom I had been a big supporter of can be added to list of people to be fired.

I played in amateur football in games our team was getting ass booted.  We never gave up like that.

He's a poor liar and I hope for his sake it was dumb ass Bowles who forced him to go into a shell, if not he can hit the friggin road as well.

Poor liar? He didn’t lie

16 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Agree and thats why I keep saying CLEAN HOUSE. 

Theres a reason Sean Payton got rid of him. 

This at least shows that Bowles was not behind the down throttle of the offense in Denver but IMO that is small comfort for me.

And will people stop with the false narratives that Bowles is somehow really behind all the draft picks and Mac is somehow powerless even though he doesn't report to Bowles or that Bowles, in this case, ordered Morton to call certain plays when Morton said that he ordered that strategy.

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

WOW Im hoping to GOD the Johnson family wakes the hell up and gets rid of the GM and entire coaching staff. 

That HAS to go.

Has to.  Crap, look at the Cowboys game.   Offense is doing nothing for 50+ minutes, suddenly scores 21 points in 5 minutes.  What if your D or a punt returner actually breaks one? 

Never heard a coach admit that he quit before, but I remember herm doing the same thing vs the panthers a few years ago. Jets were getting blown out and he just ran the ball for almost the entire second half. A panther player was quoted after the game saying it felt good to beat a team so badly they would just give up. Herm denied it though.

27 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

This at least shows that Bowles was not behind the down throttle of the offense in Denver but IMO that is small comfort for me.

And will people stop with the false narratives that Bowles is somehow really behind all the draft picks and Mac is somehow powerless even though he doesn't report to Bowles or that Bowles, in this case, ordered Morton to call certain plays when Morton said that he ordered that strategy.

You actually believe it was Morton's call and he is just not covering for Bowles? I for one don't. I think it was all Bowles.

2-7, 0-5 Away
nyj.png&h=100&w=100
Final
  1 2 3 4 T
NYJ 0 3 0 0 3
CAR 7 3 0 20  

Panthers force six turnovers, get sixth straight win

Nov 13, 2005

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) -- When the Carolina Panthers handed
    cornerback Ken Lucas a $36.5 million free-agent contract, more than
    a few eyebrows were raised -- even inside their own locker room.

But Lucas is steadily earning his pay, reeling in two
    game-changing interceptions Sunday to help the Panthers to a 30-3
    victory over the stumbling New York Jets.

"He earns that contract every day," safety Mike Minter said.
    "That is the type of player we needed in our secondary. His
    interceptions changed the complexion of the game."

Lucas' picks started a rash of turnovers -- four of which came on
    consecutive New York possessions, to help the Panthers (7-2) pull
    away for their sixth-straight victory.

The Jets (2-7) finished with six turnovers that Carolina
    converted into 20 points.

Will Witherspoon returned an interception 35 yards for a
    touchdown and Chris Gamble had an interception and a fumble
    recovery -- but none were as important as Lucas' two plays.

Carolina led 10-3 when Brooks Bollinger, the fourth quarterback
    this season for the injury-ravaged Jets, moved New York to the
    Carolina 24. He had an open shot at the end zone when Laveranues
    Coles blew past Lucas, but Coles had to wait for Bollinger's pass --
    which hung in the air long enough for Lucas to catch up and jump in
    front of him for an interception in the end zone.

"He beat me on that, but I didn't quit on the play," Lucas
    said. "I took it away from him and they kind of gave up after that
    because they felt they couldn't score.

"It's good when you get a team to quit on you."

Bollinger, who was sacked four times, threw four interceptions
    and finished 11-of-21 for 98 yards, insisted the Jets didn't give
    up.

"I wasn't going to back down -- we were still in the game," he
    said. "But obviously from there it didn't go my way. I made some
    bad decisions but mostly just bad throws.

"And they didn't miss any beats. They made the plays when they
    had the chance."

The Panthers didn't score after Lucas' first pick, but got
    another chance on New York's next possession when Bollinger was
    again picked off by Lucas, giving the Panthers the ball at the New
    York 34.

That turnover put a spark in Carolina's defense on a day when
    the Panthers' offense wasn't nearly as efficient as it had been the
    last two weeks.

Carolina didn't squander its second chance, handing it off eight
    times before Stephen Davis finally punched it in on a 1-yard score.
    It was Davis' 12th touchdown of the season, and gave the Panthers a
    17-3 lead with 13:25 to go.

New York then fell apart.

Justin Miller fumbled away the ensuing kickoff and Gamble
    recovered to set up a field goal by John Kasay that made it 20-3.

Bollinger seemed rattled under pressure and threw his third pick
    -- to Gamble -- on the next series to set up Kasay's third field
    goal.

"We were like `Gee Whiz!' they are just snatching the balls out
    of the air," said Carolina defensive end Mike Rucker.

Bollinger could do nothing right from there, and was picked off
    for a fourth time by Witherspoon, who ran it in for the score.

"It's almost unbelievable, you sit there and say, 'This is not
    happening,' " said New York running back Curtis Martin. "It seems
    like it didn't stop."

Carolina's strong defensive showing helped the Panthers win on a
    day in which star receiver Steve Smith was a non-factor.

Jets cornerback Ty Law played Smith tough all day, holding him
    to three catches for 34 yards. New York's defense also limited
    Davis to 81 yards rushing.

But behind the inexperienced Bollinger, New York's offense was
    stuck in neutral. Martin was held to 75 yards rushing. The Jets had
    214 yards total offense.

New York coach Herman Edwards seemed defeated afterward,
    defensive about Bollinger's play and the effort his injury-plagued
    team is giving.

"That's a young quarterback, he doesn't have a lot of
    experience, he's doing as good as he can do," Edwards said.
    "That's all you can ask of any of these guys. If you have a
    problem with that, it's too bad."
    ^Notes:@ Jets right tackle Jason Fabini tore his left pectoral
    muscle in the first quarter and will miss the rest of the season.
    He was replaced by Scott Gragg, who gave up a sack to Kindal
    Moorehead shortly after entering the game. ... Martin lost a fumble
    in the second quarter, his first since the eighth game of the 2003
    season -- a span of 863 carries. ... Nine of Davis' 12 TDs have been
    on 1-yard runs. ... Jake Delhomme was intercepted twice.

•  
    •  

5 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

You actually believe it was Morton's call and he is just not covering for Bowles? I for one don't. I think it was all Bowles.

And if he's not covering for Bowles, its Bowles job to find out WTF Morton was doing and tell him to go full throttle.

1 minute ago, Adoni Beast said:

This is inexcusable. Where was Bowles during all of this? I’ve defended him more than a lot of people, but he was either in agreement to quit, or wasn’t even watching the game. 

How do you quit on a game with 11 minutes left? 

When the coach can't lead and leaves it to a 38 year old journeyman qb and the qb gets hurt, the head coach quits.

19 minutes ago, Barkus said:

Never heard a coach admit that he quit before, but I remember herm doing the same thing vs the panthers a few years ago. Jets were getting blown out and he just ran the ball for almost the entire second half. A panther player was quoted after the game saying it felt good to beat a team so badly they would just give up. Herm denied it though.

Herm did no such thing!!

Good Grief!!

14 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Ok I see where you are coming from.......

You know what is happening behind the scenes... I see now

tin foil hats on Tumblr

:) 

Doesn't matter if Bowles or Morton were the one who made the decision, it's Bowles ****** job to go over there and choke him back to common sense. 

If Bowles was a head coach and not the coordinator in chief who likes to pretend that as long as *his* defense plays well then he's done his job then maybe he would be aware that his offensive coordinator had given up on the ****** game.

5 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Doesn't matter if Bowles or Morton were the one who made the decision, it's Bowles ****** job to go over there and choke him back to common sense. 

If Bowles was a head coach and not the coordinator in chief who likes to pretend that as long as *his* defense plays well then he's done his job then maybe he would be aware that his offensive coordinator had given up on the ****** game.

I don't think that any HC would say to an OC start throwing the ball when the OC says that we could get the QB hurt because the defense is in attack and prevent deep; and knowing that the QB has not played with the first team ALL SEASON!!

I know that I wouldn't.....

Archived