OC Morton: Jets waived white flag on offense

MDL_JET

10 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

I don't think that any HC would say to an OC start throwing the ball when the OC says that we could get the QB hurt because the defense is in attack and prevent deep; and knowing that the QB has not played with the first team ALL SEASON!!

I know that I wouldn't.....

I don't agree.

If you're not trying to do everything possible to win every minute of every game, you have no business in professional sports.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Kevin L said:

I don't agree.

If you're not trying to do everything possible to win every minute of every game, you have no business in professional sports.

Obviously we disagree.

The idea that you would sacrifice a young player, when you haven't prepared that player doesn't sit well with me; but I do undestand your point

15 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

I don't think that any HC would say to an OC start throwing the ball when the OC says that we could get the QB hurt because the defense is in attack and prevent deep; and knowing that the QB has not played with the first team ALL SEASON!!

I know that I wouldn't.....

I think this was a missed opportunity to give Petty some “meaningful” live game reps WITH the first team.

If we expect our players to fight til the end of the game, the same has to apply to the coaches.

16 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Obviously we disagree.

The idea that you would sacrifice a young player, when you haven't prepared that player doesn't sit well with me; but I do undestand your point

It's not as if they have to come out throwing deep. If they're playing prevent or soft coverage, then set your QB up for easy underneath passes. Make it simple for him. Quick reads. Not curl into a ball. You had 11 minutes to at least give Petty some confidence. 

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

That HAS to go.

Has to.  Crap, look at the Cowboys game.   Offense is doing nothing for 50+ minutes, suddenly scores 21 points in 5 minutes.  What if your D or a punt returner actually breaks one? 

Not only that, Petty may not be the best QB in the league, but he does have a strong arm, and has shown a good connection with a very explosive WR in Anderson.  Throw it up-field!  Is it really more horrible to lose 30-0 instead of 23-0?  He's right, it's very unlikely, but Anderson just might bust one.  Change the whole mind set of the game.  We've seen it many times in games.  Usually against the Jets.

I saw the interview, and I have nothing against Morton.  Overall I think he's done a decent job.   But all I could think was geeeeez, did he just say they were running the clock out with 11 mins in the game?   Oh Boy

in all fairness, no fan has a better idea of what the players on the field are capable of doing than the coaches.  he's the one calling the plays and knows what plays the jets can be successful running.  yes, saying he decided to pull back and run because there was no hope is wrong.  in this regard it's up to the guys on the sideline to keep the team fired up.  morton is up in the booth.

everybody has to go and this is just another reason

you cant admit you quit when oh by the way you are still in the playoff hunt at the time no matter how slim odds are and even if out of it you cant quit-OC did not do this without Bowles giving the ok-both need to be fired . I would not even let the OC make it though the night after his comments.

GM needs to go too-

this is a new low for the jets and there have been many lows over the years

3 minutes ago, Happy Clouds said:

Don’t give them any money. They will probably just purchase some more flags...

35234C2B-33BE-45A8-9B1C-904B1664BD7E.gif

Man your a genius.  This could have a bigger impact then the banner fly overs.

Rent a vacant field right in the path of the Johnson's private helicopter  approach to the complex, and put thousands of these flags up.   I like it

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

You actually believe it was Morton's call and he is just not covering for Bowles? I for one don't. I think it was all Bowles.

Let me translate what Morton was really saying for you.

"Listen, Bryce Petty sucks right now and was completely shell shocked when he got into the game.  Did you see some of those passes where he missed open receivers by 5 feet?!

Since I knew we were going to be rolling with him for at least 1 more game I didn't want to have him start forcing balls into an excellent D who was playing pass all the way.  It would have resulted in multiple INT's and/or fumbles. 

If he has any chance to play well next week we had to have a merciful end to the last one or risk completely shattering what's left of his confidence.

Clearly if Josh was back there we would have ran our normal offense but he wasn't...  and Bryce Petty is no Josh McCown".

17 minutes ago, Pac said:

"Listen, Bryce Petty sucks right now and was completely shell shocked when he got into the game.  Did you see some of those passes where he missed open receivers by 5 feet?!

Since I knew we were going to be rolling with him for at least 1 more game I didn't want to have him start forcing balls into an excellent D who was playing pass all the way.  It would have resulted in multiple INT's and/or fumbles. 

If he has any chance to play well next week we had to have a merciful end to the last one or risk completely shattering what's left of his confidence.

Clearly if Josh was back there we would have ran our normal offense but he wasn't...  and Bryce Petty is no Josh McCown".

Actually what i thought he was saying was, let's not get petty injured as well, behind this line against this pass rush, b/c then we'll HAVE to play hackenberg and we'll all lose our jobs.

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

This is inexcusable. Where was Bowles during all of this? I’ve defended him more than a lot of people, but he was either in agreement to quit, or wasn’t even watching the game. 

How do you quit on a game with 11 minutes left? 

You wait until the clock strikes 11:01 

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

WOW Im hoping to GOD the Johnson family wakes the hell up and gets rid of the GM and entire coaching staff. 

I'm actually hoping to GOD that the Johnson family wakes the hell up and sells the team.  Its obvious they have no idea how to build a winner.

26 minutes ago, Pac said:

And Hack is no Bryce Petty ba rump pa rum pum 

1 hour ago, Charlie Brown said:

Obviously we disagree.

Isn’t that part of the problem? Our young guy isn’t prepared, because our moron coach chose to play a 38 year-old never-was to save his chicken-sh*t ass. I’d have more respect for his dumb ass if he lost like a man. 

17 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Even a group of white supremacists would have drafted Deshaun Watson over Christian Hackenberg.

I googled group of men carrying torches clicked on images and there was the picture no harm no foul meant especially not meant be to be racial. Not what I'm about. 

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Morton whom I had been a big supporter of can be added to list of people to be fired.

I played in amateur football in games our team was getting ass booted.  We never gave up like that.

He's a poor liar and I hope for his sake it was dumb ass Bowles who forced him to go into a shell, if not he can hit the friggin road as well.

I don't blame him for saying that. They really didn't have a chance in that game. There was no sense in destroying Petty's confidence by having him throw five pics. I think Bowles needs to go a lot more than Morton. 38 points against a good Chiefs defense was pretty good

Archived