OC Morton: Jets waived white flag on offense

MDL_JET

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And if he's not covering for Bowles, its Bowles job to find out WTF Morton was doing and tell him to go full throttle.

One min when things are going good “Oh make Morton Head Coach”! Bowles has nothing to do with the offense. Then when Morton stinks the joint up “It’s Bowles job to find out WTF he was doing”! Smh, you guys are so contradictory at times! IJS

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

25 minutes ago, Freemanm said:

I don't blame him for saying that. They really didn't have a chance in that game. There was no sense in destroying Petty's confidence by having him throw five pics. I think Bowles needs to go a lot more than Morton. 38 points against a good Chiefs defense was pretty good

Just unreal, the guy has been in the league for 3 years now and you are worried about destroying his confidence?  Know what destroys a guys confidence?  Telling him to his face you are so sh*tty we do not trust you to do anything in a nothing game in a nothing season.  Sheer lunacy.  but then again this is the way bowles thinks so no surprise to me

22 minutes ago, Obrien2Toon said:

I really like Morton.

like him even more for having the balls to say it

I like you i like you for giving up in a game and teaching all of your players to give up.

I really like you for showing no confidence at all in any qb not named mccown and i specially  like you for lying through your teeth and saying you are comfortable be with the scrubbs behind mccown.

I think he is covering bowles ass on this one and i don;t for a moment think bowls had nothing to do with telling the team to lie down.

10 minutes ago, UnTypicalJET said:

One min when things are going good “Oh make Morton Head Coach”! Bowles has nothing to do with the offense. Then when Morton stinks the joint up “It’s Bowles job to find out WTF he was doing”! Smh, you guys are so contradictory at times! IJS

Morton just showed that ALL of them showed be fired.  Even if he is covering for bowels. 

man some soft folks here talking about not wanting to hurt anybody's confidence-these are not five year olds-these are pros being paid big money to be on the biggest stage. Even in peewee ball my coach never said guys we are over matched we have to throw in the towel and these are pros and we are worried about their confidence ? GTFOH

I have have never heard a coach say he led a team into quitting before. Leaders lead they dont quit...

3 hours ago, chirorob said:

That HAS to go.

Has to.  Crap, look at the Cowboys game.   Offense is doing nothing for 50+ minutes, suddenly scores 21 points in 5 minutes.  What if your D or a punt returner actually breaks one? 

Hello Super Bowl last year.  Even without those examples, since when do you 'give up' with that much time left and not at least try to score.  "Oh No!  The other team is playing hard defense!  Let's give up!"  F-ck You, Morton.

26 minutes ago, UnTypicalJET said:

You see this as well ....... :) 

3 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

This at least shows that Bowles was not behind the down throttle of the offense in Denver but IMO that is small comfort for me.

And will people stop with the false narratives that Bowles is somehow really behind all the draft picks and Mac is somehow powerless even though he doesn't report to Bowles or that Bowles, in this case, ordered Morton to call certain plays when Morton said that he ordered that strategy.

Bowles. Is. The. Head. Coach. Every decision his coordinators make is a direct reflection on him.

30 minutes ago, UnTypicalJET said:

Umm, I wasn't one of those guys that said Bowles has nothing to do with the offense.   I give him credit for finding a good coordinator.   And if the offense looks good, then he gets credit for that as well.   when the offense doesn't look good or is doing something in game that he doesn't agree with, then yes its his responsibility to address it.

It really disgusts me to hear, yet again, about the coaching staff holding back the power of Bryce Petty and Jets offense. Bowles needs to JetUp and let the players do what they do, which if he would just let them (or tell them to as their coach) would be piling up the points and Ws at will. This goes hand in hand with the long standing theory that the heart of this franchise’s issues being that Jets coaches often leave the winning gameplan at home in favor of the losing one. Sounds like this time Bowles left his guts too, if he ever had any to start with! 

7 minutes ago, C Mart said:

LOL. So all those that wanted the Jets to tank this season are now complaining because they tanked the final 11 minutes. 

Cant make it up here. Really can’t. It’s hilarious. 

We are all devastated at your condescension ...

Probably shouldn't admit defeat as a coach, he was brutally honest. This is one of those decisions you don't admit but I don't really have a problem with it this year. I'd rather keep all our players healthy in a lost cause than have Robby Anderson accidentally tear an ACL in what was very likely a meaningless game in terms of our playoff contention. I don't like that he said it out loud but the players are grown men, they understand the situation as well as the fans do.

4 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Ok I see where you are coming from.......

You know what is happening behind the scenes... I see now

tin foil hats on Tumblr

:) 

WTF?

The HC can hear the offensive play calls ...or at least he should hear them in his headset.  If Bowles was upset at the playcalling, i.e.,, going into a shell with 11 min left, you don't think he'd get on the horn with Mortan and say 'WTF Dude?'

6 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- There were still more than 11 minutes to play in the game last Sunday, but it was going so badly for the New York Jets that offensive coordinator John Morton decided enough was enough. He admittedly waved a white flag.

It's unusual for a coach to say it, but Morton acknowledged on Thursday that he just wanted to run out the clock because he felt they "didn't have a chance" to rally against the Denver Broncos, who led the game, 23-0.

Listen, we were behind, we didn't have a chance," Morton said. "I mean, they're just dropping back in coverage and we're just going to be throwing and forcing balls. I didn't want that. I didn't think that was fair. Call it whatever you want, I just thought that was the right decision."

Morton's actions could be perceived as a lack of confidence in Petty, but the first-year coordinator insisted he has "the utmost confidence" in the young quarterback. Petty is preparing for his fifth career start.

The Jets' clunker in Denver came after their best offensive day of the season, a 38-31 win over the Kansas City Chiefs.

"Night and day," Morton said. "I'm not alarmed. Listen, that was a good team. They have a good defense. We just got our butts kicked. I got outcoached, we got outplayed, bottom line. Sometimes you just have to fess up and that was the bottom line with that."

Welp. At least he admits it. 

This confirms what is wrong with this coaching staff in a nutshell. The message it sends to younger players and veterans alike is one of the many reasons why THE WHOLE STAFF must be fired. Too even condone this type of thinking in the locker room is unacceptable and this guy puts it out there in print fah chrissakes! This cancerous attitude is a serious thing that sez in part that its okay to quit when the deck is stacked against you. Jesus H. Christ! Are you effin kidding me? Not too mention the fact that Bowles signed off on it. He had too. He's the friggin HC. If its me and one of my guys came up to me and spouted this sh*t I take his clipboard, tell him to turn in his headset, and send him packing. This is a serious indictment of the HC . No self respecting man could ever follow a quitter. How can these players play for a guy who allows one of his top lieutenants to say its okay to quit? No way this can be allowed. Macc has to stand up and show some balls here. If not its time to back up the truck and do some house cleaning. Its mind boggling that this guy would say this to the media no less. Just unbelievable!

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I like you i like you for giving up in a game and teaching all of your players to give up.

These are grown ass men who have been competing their whole lives. Nobody is being taught to lose or to quit. If anything the lesson should be to stop being bad at football. If they manage to pull that off suddenly options open up for the coaches, maybe even force a switch to the winning game plans and play calls, whoever that may be. 

7 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

This at least shows that Bowles was not behind the down throttle of the offense in Denver but IMO that is small comfort for me.

How can you POSSIBLY believe this?! 

I gotta say some of your posts I seen when it comes to Bowls either makes makes me wonder if you are kinda trolling or if your close friends/related to him. 

Bowls was 100% behind this decision and his buddy here is taking the inferno heat off the slug... why I have no idea but hey whatevers skins the dog man.  

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I would also repeat the question, who is in charge of the Jets?

Yeah I WANNA KNOW THIS TOO DAMMIT!!!! THIS IS MAKING ME FURIUS NOW!!! 

I have gone from not giving a half wet turd to being REALLY FVCKIN PISSED MAN!!! 

I have almost watched no games this year. In fact I have watched a total of TWO. 

The Cheats game that was rigged by the refs and THIS garbage and lemme tell ya.... I am NOT happy with this. 

3 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

This confirms what is wrong with this coaching staff in a nutshell. The message it sends to younger players and veterans alike is one of the many reasons why THE WHOLE STAFF must be fired. Too even condone this type of thinking in the locker room is unacceptable and this guy puts it out there in print fah chrissakes! This cancerous attitude is a serious thing that sez in part that its okay to quit when the deck is stacked against you. Jesus H. Christ! Are you effin kidding me? Not too mention the fact that Bowles signed off on it. He had too. He's the friggin HC. If its me and one of my guys came up to me and spouted this sh*t I take his clipboard, tell him to turn in his headset, and send him packing. This is a serious indictment of the HC . No self respecting man could ever follow a quitter. How can these players play for a guy who allows one of his top lieutenants to say its okay to quit? No way this can be allowed. Macc has to stand up and show some balls here. If not its time to back up the truck and do some house cleaning. Its mind boggling that this guy would say this to the media no less. Just unbelievable!

Didn't you hear, you can't criticize the general when you disagree with the actions of the lieutenants.

2 hours ago, Hitman Harris said:

Yeah I WANNA KNOW THIS TOO DAMMIT!!!! THIS IS MAKING ME FURIUS NOW!!! 

I have gone from not giving a half wet turd to being REALLY FVCKIN PISSED MAN!!! 

I have almost watched no games this year. In fact I have watched a total of TWO. 

The Cheats game that was rigged by the refs and THIS garbage and lemme tell ya.... I am NOT happy with this. 

Funny.....I'm still interested and somewhat care....Gave up the ticket this year because I am tired of paying extra/wasting time watching bad football. All year long I kept reading about how the young players are progressing.     So far this year I have tuned in to see:

jets/pats ASJ TD overturned;

jets/bucs

Jets/Den

Every time I watch them its the same crap that disgusted me to the point that I gave up on them....F this team.

10 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

And will people stop with the false narratives that Bowles is somehow really behind all the draft picks and Mac is somehow powerless even though he doesn't report to Bowles or that Bowles, in this case, ordered Morton to call certain plays when Morton said that he ordered that strategy.

tenor.gif?itemid=5383350

:)

1 hour ago, pajet said:

Funny.....I'm still interested and somewhat care....Gave up the ticket this year because I am tired of paying extra/wasting time watching bad football. All year long I kept reading about how the young players are progressing.     So far this year I have tuned in to see:

jets/pats ASJ TD overturned;

jets/bucs

Jets/Den

Every time I watch them its the same crap that disgusted me to the point that I gave up on them....F this team.

Same story man... I'm also disgusted with the NFL for other reasons (not the kneeling DGAF about their fake protesting for attention) anyways I had an EPIC rant I was trying to post... It was a good one and I gave up all my gripes it was a thing of beauty... I mean clear and a thing of beauty. What i could only hope Woody would read before deciding to sell the team so he doesn't start losing money. Just as I was about to post I spilled some wine and it must have fried my wirless card and also ruined my cell phone... And all for.... the fkuciking JETS?! 

it was tasty wine too 

1Z5ckLr.gif

Bowles fuels the quitting on this team.   From the disfunctional locker room last year, to playing prevent offense in the Miami game, bad timeouts, no emotion when TD’s get taken away, taking a knee far too often and now a coach who admits he gave up.  Ever hear a coach say that?  

Archived