OC Morton: Jets waived white flag on offense

MDL_JET

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

So am I missing something?.... in a season full of outrage that we tried too hard to win, we are now outraged that we didn’t try hard enough?

Yes, there is a significant difference.

Winning games with McCown was pointless and harmful.  Start with the obvious fact that this team is not contending for a title this year.  So winning games hurts our draft position and we end up in the same place next year...no QB in sight.  Possibly no QB drafted in round 1 because of a bad slot.  Complete waste of a year.

If we were playing Petty, and we lost out, fine.  We draft a guy.  If he wins a bunch of games, hey look, we have a young QB who succeeded with a bad team and maybe we can move forward with him and draft some offensive players to help him next year.

But playing to win with McCown and then turning around and giving up the moment Petty finally gets a shot is exactly the worst of both worlds.  IMHO.

FIRE EVERYONE! QUITTING IS BULLSH!T!
FIRE BOWLES! FIRE RODGERS! FIRE MORTON! 

I HATE THIS MINDSET. I DIDN'T KNOW WE HAD A BUNCH OF "EVERYONE DESERVES A TROPHY" "MILLINNIALS" COACHING THIS TEAM. FML.

Embarrassing as hell to hear the coaches say they quit. I will remember their message when my son's tell me something is too hard, or they were losing too bad to try. WHAT IN THE HOLY F*CK?!?! 

This literally has me more pissed off at this staff than anything they have done all year. total slap in the face. (heavily sarcastic voice saying..... it's okay to quit guys...) //// You should be trying to at least get a damn field goal instead of being shut out for f*cks sake.

If that's the message, then please put up an announcement that acknowledges the team is quitting so I don't have to waste my time watching it.  My time is valuable, and I don't feel that the fans who pay good money and spend their leisure time should be wasting time after the team officially quits.

How about just stopping the game and and saying "uncle".

This is one of the most embarrassing moments in Jets history, and I should know, being a fan for the last 50 years.  Yes, I'm 58, and was at the AFC championship game when the Jets beat Oakland.  

This Morton guy "MUST" be fired.  He should be fired now, and not wait until the end of the season.

17 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

So am I missing something?.... in a season full of outrage that we tried too hard to win, we are now outraged that we didn’t try hard enough?

Just because we want to see a L in the standings doesn't mean we want to see this team just roll over and quit and admit defeat. I wanna see them go down swinging! But like....not swing too hard because we need the L's. It's complicated...

22 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

Watching the tank crowd pull a 180 in mid Dec has made for an entertaining thread.

Really looking forward to the Macc and Bowles sign extension threads.

FIRE MORTON. This is total B.S. 

Might as well just make up a better lie than to say you quit because it wouldn't be fair to try to score some damn points. Wouldn't be fair to not get totally embarrassed, oh wait we were getting embarrassed all day. Wouldn't be fair to try to safe face, not even a little. just take your @ss kicking and go home... lol... 

Just now, Stark said:

FIRE MORTON. This is total B.S. 

Might as well just make up a better lie than to say you quit because it wouldn't be fair to try to score some damn points. Wouldn't be fair to not get totally embarrassed, oh wait we were getting embarrassed all day. Wouldn't be fair to try to safe face, not even a little. just take your @ss kicking and go home... lol... 

The Twitter generation. Just fire everyone every season because that's how you build a stable organization!!

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

The Twitter generation. Just fire everyone every season because that's how you build a stable organization!!

LOL. Just quit when things get tough guys. its okay... that is the twitter generation. this staff is a joke. If you can't see it then maybe you are the twitter, millennial generation. 

You sure as heck can't build a stable team when the coach and his staff are quitters. Save everyone the agony and just hire a new coaching staff, one that does not condone quitting.

The outrage over every action and inaction is hilarious. 

If we fire every coach, GM, equipment manager over every mistake they make, we will have a new staff every single year. This forum is filled with a bunch of drama queens. Well, not completely filled, mostly just what's  left over during a bad season. I am hopeful some of the voices of reason will be back next year when things turn around. 

8 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i really think they were afraid that petty would get hurt and they'd be stuck playing hackenberg.  the oline stunk.  

The whole team stunk. The coaching stunk, the offense stunk, the defense stunk, special teams stunk.. I am not sure what didn't stink about that game. 

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

If we fire every coach, GM, equipment manager over every mistake they make, we will have a new staff every single year. This forum is filled with a bunch of drama queens. Well, not completely filled, mostly just what's  left over during a bad season. I am hopeful some of the voices of reason will be back next year when things turn around. 

Voice of reason:

Bowles has shown ZERO growth in his time as a HC here. He is still very bad at making in game decisions. we still get way too many penalties, his timeout management is bad. These are things that he should be improving on over the course of 3 years but hasn't. He still can't seem to get his "defensive genius" to show up on the field. 

I am not sure why any fan would be okay with how he has not developed. But hey I get it @JoJoTownsell1 lets keep this losing coach around a few more years, he will be the coach to get us to be consistent winners and in the playoff hunt each year. He will be the coach to get us to win the division, right?!? lol

28 minutes ago, Pac said:

Watching the tank crowd pull a 180 in mid Dec has made for an entertaining thread.

Really looking forward to the Macc and Bowles sign extension threads.

Do we have a list of the tank crowd?  I want to get specific with my anger. 

12 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Fans expectations are way to high. 

Not sure why anyone would be upset to learn their coaches mailed it and quit with an entire quarter of Football left to play.

1 minute ago, JiF said:

Fans expectations are way to high. 

Not sure why anyone would be upset to learn their coaches mailed it and quit with an entire quarter of Football left to play.

Sorry to break the news to you, but the season is over. The players had mailed it in for that game. Having Petty (who didn't prep for the game) come in late and air it out would have exposed Petty/WRs to risk of injury for no reason. If it was the 1st half and it was a close game, I guarantee you the mindset would have been different. If Mccown was still in the game, the mindset would have been different.  

It was justifiable to just accept the loss and get Petty ready for this week.  

4 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Sorry to break the news to you, but the season is over. The players had mailed it in for that game. Having Petty (who didn't prep for the game) come in late and air it out would have exposed Petty/WRs to risk of injury for no reason. If it was the 1st half and it was a close game, I guarantee you the mindset would have been different. If Mccown was still in the game, the mindset would have been different.  

with petty's injury history he was going to get hurt that game.  i think the coaching staff knows that while neither petty nor hack is the future, at least with petty they can score some tds and run some plays.  the fear was that petty would get hurt and they'd have to play hackenberg and then the wheels would really come off the bus.  

7 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

The players mailed it in and the coaches quit.  Fans should be like, cool, this is good.  Way to change the culture!!!

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

The players mailed it in and the coaches quit.  Fans should be like, cool, this is good.  Way to change the culture!!!

Teams come out flat all the time. You are acting as if every NFL game is 21-20. Sometimes teams, especially young teams come out flat. I am not a fan of Bowles. If he gets fired I won't be upset. But Morton has done a good job. Not exposing Petty to a beating/INTs in a meaningless game is a defensible decision. 

10 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

with petty's injury history he was going to get hurt that game.  i think the coaching staff knows that while neither petty nor hack is the future, at least with petty they can score some tds and run some plays.  the fear was that petty would get hurt and they'd have to play hackenberg and then the wheels would really come off the bus.  

That could be part of it. I just think they saw how the game was going and thought, decided it was better to re-group. If the Jets were 9-7 battling for a playoff spot, I am sure they would have let Petty air it out. 

11 hours ago, C Mart said:

LOL. So all those that wanted the Jets to tank this season are now complaining because they tanked the final 11 minutes. 

Cant make it up here. Really can’t. It’s hilarious. 

LOL.  So those that wanted the Jets not to tank this season because they were playing hard and learning how to win are now defending the coaches and the team for not playing hard and quitting?

Can't make it up here.  Really can't.  It's hilarious,

8 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

the players mailed it in before the game, they came out very flat as usual on the road, just like at tampa and oakland.  

Who's fault is that? 

2 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Teams come out flat all the time. You are acting as if every NFL game is 21-20. Sometimes teams, especially young teams come out flat. I am not a fan of Bowles. If he gets fired I won't be upset. But Morton has done a good job. Not exposing Petty to a beating/INTs in a meaningless game is a defensible decision. 

No, it's really not but that's cool.  We all know how low your standards are. ;-) 

10 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

LOL.  So those that wanted the Jets not to tank this season because they were playing hard and learning how to win are now defending the coaches and the team for not playing hard and quitting?

Can't make it up here.  Really can't.  It's hilarious,

This. Not to mention, the vast majority of "tankers" never mentioned wanting the team to give less effort to try and lose games. As much as the #realfans want to paint us as idiots, we know that players are looking out for themselves #1 and will try to put up big stats in search of a big contract. Tanking involves playing the youth over the veterans. In most cases, the youth will be less talented and make more mistakes in this point of their career while they continue to learn and grow. Losing games is a byproduct of playing the younger players, not a byproduct of coaching or playing to lose the game. 

That could be part of it. I just think they saw how the game was going and thought, decided it was better to re-group. If the Jets were 9-7 battling for a playoff spot, I am sure they would have let Petty air it out. 

I have not bashed our coaching staff at all. We’re a sh*tty team so I don’t expect much. With that said, quitting with 11 minutes to go is flat out unacceptable. A score and a turnover and the game can change in a heartbeat. I also think Petty sucks, but it’s the OC’s job to have the backup ready to step in and play. You can’t just say oh well, starter went down, playing a tough D on the road let’s pack it in. That’s just mind boggling

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Archived