OC Morton: Jets waived white flag on offense

MDL_JET

7 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

I have not bashed our coaching staff at all. We’re a sh*tty team so I don’t expect much. With that said, quitting with 11 minutes to go is flat out unacceptable. A score and a turnover and the game can change in a heartbeat. I also think Petty sucks, but it’s the OC’s job to have the backup ready to step in and play. You can’t just say oh well, starter went down, playing a tough D on the road let’s pack it in. That’s just mind boggling

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

It's amazing, this thing called Football.  There are 3 phases of the game: Offense, Defense and Special Teams.  Interestingly enough, you're allowed to score TD's in all 3 phases of the game.  It's pretty neat actually. 

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Obviously we disagree.

The idea that you would sacrifice a young player, when you haven't prepared that player doesn't sit well with me; but I do undestand your point

Agreed but isn't it an indictment that the young player hasn't been prepared?  After all he was the #2 behind an injury prone #1.  I find it harder and harder to defend this coaching regime.  This all is on Bowles.      

20 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

I have not bashed our coaching staff at all. We’re a sh*tty team so I don’t expect much. With that said, quitting with 11 minutes to go is flat out unacceptable. A score and a turnover and the game can change in a heartbeat. I also think Petty sucks, but it’s the OC’s job to have the backup ready to step in and play. You can’t just say oh well, starter went down, playing a tough D on the road let’s pack it in. That’s just mind boggling

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

The coach quit at the end of the 2nd Quarter! this is the bigger issue. Not trying to even try to see if you can get a FG before half, lol. Typical Bowles. 

1 hour ago, Stark said:

LOL. Just quit when things get tough guys. its okay... that is the twitter generation. this staff is a joke. If you can't see it then maybe you are the twitter, millennial generation. 

You sure as heck can't build a stable team when the coach and his staff are quitters. Save everyone the agony and just hire a new coaching staff, one that does not condone quitting.

Petty was 2 of 9. If you are going to develop the kid, it wasn't happening on Sunday.

I didn't want all those runs. But when the QB is 2 of 9, I think throwing would have made it worse and the injuries could have piled up.

if I was petty I would have gone into the huddle and said coach wants us to lay down and quit like dogs but not me not this guy -I would have chucked it all over the field until I was pulled and after the game I would say my coach told me to quit and I am not a quitter if the coaches want to quit that is on them but us players we play until the final down and if the coaches dont want to coach they should find another job. What the F are they going to do the rest of the season ?  They were still fighting for a slim playoff chance at the time. I am 1000% certain if you asked Petty what would be worse going down fighting or laying down like dogs. The excuse that they did not want to hurt the confidence of Petty is so stupid for so many reasons but how about this-do you think Petty's confidence was improved knowing the coaches thought so little of his ability that they would rather just lay down then fight?

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

New York Jets = French Army after the Germans just drove around the Maginot line.  They couldn't get those white baguette napkins out fast enough to wave.

Christmas night, 1776.

General George Washington stares into the blizzard across the icy Delaware River.

He turns to his men. They are cold and hungry. They are desperate for a victory, any victory.

Washington says, "It's cold, and that water looks really wet. Let's go home."

The Continental Army returns to Valley Forge. They promptly contract frostbite and starve to death.

this game means nothing now-the jets should play hack is the coaches think Petty cant compete and lets see what he has-let him throw all over the place . I believe Mac wont play him all year so he can hide behind the he is "still developing" instead of wow the guy I drafted is beyond terrible I really suck

12 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Petty was 2 of 9. If you are going to develop the kid, it wasn't happening on Sunday.

I didn't want all those runs. But when the QB is 2 of 9, I think throwing would have made it worse and the injuries could have piled up.

McCown was 6-12, if Petty completed his next 3 passes even for little to no gain your talking about the same numbers. Lets not act like McCown was killing it. They should be developing their qb's all year, not just in a few minutes of a game that the whole team played like garbage, and the coaches sucked.

The quitting at the end of the first half was a joke, and it just continued throughout the game. Then Morton and Bowles say in front of the media that, yeah, we quit. lol.. totally unacceptable. 

I hate quitters, I hate that our coaches are quitters, I hate that they are okay with quitting. 

The JETS won't win the division with these guys, they won't make the playoffs, we are just wasting time with them. 

Goals for this team, like every other team need to be strived for.... not quit when it isn't going your way. 

6 hours ago, Hitman Harris said:

Same story man... I'm also disgusted with the NFL for other reasons (not the kneeling DGAF about their fake protesting for attention) anyways I had an EPIC rant I was trying to post... It was a good one and I gave up all my gripes it was a thing of beauty... I mean clear and a thing of beauty. What i could only hope Woody would read before deciding to sell the team so he doesn't start losing money. Just as I was about to post I spilled some wine and it must have fried my wirless card and also ruined my cell phone... And all for.... the fkuciking JETS?! 

it was tasty wine too 

1Z5ckLr.gif

only thing worse than dealing with the Jets is aggravation with the Jets causing damage to personal property....especially lost alcohol.

3 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Sorry to break the news to you, but the season is over. The players had mailed it in for that game. Having Petty (who didn't prep for the game) come in late and air it out would have exposed Petty/WRs to risk of injury for no reason. If it was the 1st half and it was a close game, I guarantee you the mindset would have been different. If Mccown was still in the game, the mindset would have been different.  

It was justifiable to just accept the loss and get Petty ready for this week.  

Season was over before it started

A couple flukes win doesn’t mean this team was ever even decent

2 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

Agreed but isn't it an indictment that the young player hasn't been prepared?  After all he was the #2 behind an injury prone #1.  I find it harder and harder to defend this coaching regime.  This all is on Bowles.      

I think it is a HUGE INDICTMENT of Bowles  and the coaching staff and have said so repeatedly. 

I also think that the whole organization that essentially says we have two horrific QBs that we acquired on our watch who aren't worthy of playing time over a 38 year old journeyman QB and yet we keep both on the team.... is preposterous.

And the fact that they don't have either QB fully prepared to go into a game by not giving them ANY first team reps is coaching malpractice, that shouldn't be acceptable for a high school team; and just look at Petty when being asked the question of was he "given any first team reps during the season" having to cover for the coaches; that is a disgrace.

Finally while I am highly critical of Bowles I don't think he is "everything wrong" with every call or play or player drafted that doesn't work out for the Jets, just isn't.  He does enough questionable stuff to criticize without just flat out making stuff up.

Let's Go Jets!! :) 

3 hours ago, Maxman said:

Petty was not 2-9 at the end of the first half when Bowles effectively quit.  

4 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Teams come out flat all the time. You are acting as if every NFL game is 21-20. Sometimes teams, especially young teams come out flat. I am not a fan of Bowles. If he gets fired I won't be upset. But Morton has done a good job. Not exposing Petty to a beating/INTs in a meaningless game is a defensible decision. 

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/12/todd_bowles_says_jets_had_more_energy_vs_broncos_t.html

Interesting, no? 

This was a slap in the face to all of the fans who follow this team. Just because the team sucks doesn't mean that they can just mail it in whenever they think they can't win. I'm astounded that any head coach would admit that they just packed it in with over 30 minutes of football to be played. Absolutely astounded.

On 12/14/2017 at 6:14 PM, Charlie Brown said:

This at least shows that Bowles was not behind the down throttle of the offense in Denver but IMO that is small comfort for me.

And will people stop with the false narratives that Bowles is somehow really behind all the draft picks and Mac is somehow powerless even though he doesn't report to Bowles or that Bowles, in this case, ordered Morton to call certain plays when Morton said that he ordered that strategy.

Yeah. But why wouldn't Bowles walk over to his OC and say, "hey there buddy...whats up with the Playcalling?". And if he gets the answer that football is hard and if you're behind you should quit, you dismiss him on the spot.

Pretty sure Parcells did that to Weis one game.

34 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Yeah. But why wouldn't Bowles walk over to his OC and say, "hey there buddy...whats up with the Playcalling?". And if he gets the answer that football is hard and if you're behind you should quit, you dismiss him on the spot.

Pretty sure Parcells did that to Weis one game.

I hear you but the Day Bowles is ever confused for Parcells will be the first time that ever happens....

One is arguably the most influential HCs of the last 50 years; was all over HOF level QBs under his charge and the other is infamous for naming Fitzpatrick the starter when he wasn't on the team and is telling us why lifetime journeyman McCown gives us the "best" chance to win....

The two men are not comparable IMO......

11 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

I hear you but the Day Bowles is ever confused for Parcells will be the first time that ever happens....

One is arguably the most influential HCs of the last 50 years; was all over HOF level QBs under his charge and the other is infamous for naming Fitzpatrick the starter when he wasn't on the team and is telling us why lifetime journeyman McCown gives us the "best" chance to win....

The two men are not comparable IMO......

I agree 100%. I thought you were defending the clueless wonder.

On 12/15/2017 at 6:40 PM, tuffhand said:

This was a slap in the face to all of the fans who follow this team. Just because the team sucks doesn't mean that they can just mail it in whenever they think they can't win. I'm astounded that any head coach would admit that they just packed it in with over 30 minutes of football to be played. Absolutely astounded.

ESPECIALLY when you are doing absolutely NOTHING but destroying your draft stock... just like anyone who knows anything predicted  

On 12/15/2017 at 10:10 AM, JetFreak89 said:

This. Not to mention, the vast majority of "tankers" never mentioned wanting the team to give less effort to try and lose games. As much as the #realfans want to paint us as idiots, we know that players are looking out for themselves #1 and will try to put up big stats in search of a big contract. Tanking involves playing the youth over the veterans. In most cases, the youth will be less talented and make more mistakes in this point of their career while they continue to learn and grow. Losing games is a byproduct of playing the younger players, not a byproduct of coaching or playing to lose the game. 

Add to that  more aggressive play calling and we were all in on a lightening in a bottle, hail Mary type season. The only downside being a chance at a high draft pick.

When you have an inferior team you must take chances to win. The exact opposite scenario than the one being pushed by the apologists. We never wanted to try and lose. We wanted to try to win rather than be "competitive". 

Archived