Bryce Petty support group thread

RoadFan

I am generally a negative person around here.  This franchise has beaten me to somewhere between disgust and total apathy.

I went against my typical Jet bashing ways and was extremely positive all off-season about Robby.  I was near certain he was a player. 

Which brings me to Bryce Petty.   None of us expect him to miraculously turn into a franchise QB.  But I have seen just enough to keep me curious.  He is charismatic, has some balls, shows courage in the pocket, and there is evidence of an adequate skill set for at least some level of success at the NFL level.

Again, I am not expecting him to come out of nowhere ala Tony Romo.  But I think it is possible that he could earn himself a role on this team moving forward.  Whether that be as a "bridge guy," and/or a long-term backup.

Other than Robby, I have found it difficult lately to wish for a Jet to succeed.  Maye has been a pleasant surprise, 2nd round curse and all.

Bryce Petty, in my opinion, is an easy guy to root for...

54 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

I am generally a negative person around here.  This franchise has beaten me to somewhere between disgust and total apathy.

I went against my typical Jet bashing ways and was extremely positive all off-season about Robby.  I was near certain he was a player. 

Which brings me to Bryce Petty.   None of us expect him to miraculously turn into a franchise QB.  But I have seen just enough to keep me curious.  He is charismatic, has some balls, shows courage in the pocket, and there is evidence of an adequate skill set for at least some level of success at the NFL level.

Again, I am not expecting him to come out of nowhere ala Tony Romo.  But I think it is possible that he could earn himself a role on this team moving forward.  Whether that be as a "bridge guy," and/or a long-term backup.

Other than Robby, I have found it difficult lately to wish for a Jet to succeed.  Maye has been a pleasant surprise, 2nd round curse and all.

I hope he can show “something “ to make us think “ maybe “ he can “ eventually “ be a #2 qb at best.

2 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

I hope he can show “something “ to make us think “ maybe “ he can “ eventually “ be a #2 qb at best.

if last year and the last 11 minutes of last year's game are any indication, i don't think the Jets offense will be set up in a way that will enable Petty to show us any kind of skill, unless that skill is handing off to Matt Forte 30 times

1 hour ago, shuler82 said:

if last year and the last 11 minutes of last year's game are any indication, i don't think the Jets offense will be set up in a way that will enable Petty to show us any kind of skill, unless that skill is handing off to Matt Forte 30 times

Then Bowles will be setting himself up to be fired......

1 hour ago, shuler82 said:

Well just being able to hand off correctly and not butt-fumbling for a D TD, is worthy of a #2 spot on the jets 

6 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Then Bowles will be setting himself up to be fired......

Oh I think he's gone, Woody is thin skinned, the hate from the fans about next 3 games isnt going to be good.

He's dumb enough to play ultra conservative, and run that ball all day, just in case they may lose, which they will anyway.

9 hours ago, RoadFan said:

I'm with you. Petty has always been intriguing. Unlike Hackenberg, he's shown glimpses during the preseason and seems like a guy that you could develop into a capable QB. I always felt that if we invest in the O-line, develop a running game and get him some good weapons, Petty would have a chance to succeed.

Thank you for your optimism. Looking forward also!

Unlike most, I think I will wait to see the games before I form my opinion. My biggest concern is that Petty needs to prove his body can last out there. I hope he makes it through all three games and plays well, shows progress, etc.    

I can't think of any group of backup QBs in Jets history that the CS has shown less confidence in.  Petty was our #2 QB and wasn't even getting reps.  Then he gets in there and the CS admits it surrendered.  Our new #2 QB (Hack) can barely get on the active roster in 2 seasons.  All of this makes me interested to see if either amounts to anything. 

I want to see Petty do well I really do. I just don't see it happening. The mutiny has finally come. Mo's bullsh*t aside, publicly admitting that you gave up on a game with over a quarter left in it will have an effect on this team. How stupid are you to admit that sh*t? In public no less? That in and of itself is grounds for immediate dismissal IMO. There really is no leadership on this team from a head coaching standpoint. When you have guys being continually being late for practice and then calling them leaders what sort of message does that send to the other players, especially the younger guys on this team? Sure they finally disciplined Mo but how many times has this happened that we don't know about? A lot I would wager. How they play against the Saints will say a lot about Todd Bowles influence on this team. I bet they come out flat and get worse from there. Bowles should be on thin ice. Hopefully it's starting to crack beneath his feet.

44 minutes ago, Maxman said:

McCown sucks and he did pretty good here.

McCown had the coaching staff behind him and he did a nice job for us. Bryce Petty had the coaching staff straight up quit on him last week. Im not sure what anyone expects from the kid. The coaching staff does not want anything to do with him and have done him no favors.

3 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

McCown had the coaching staff behind him and he did a nice job for us. Bryce Petty had the coaching staff straight up quit on him last week. Im not sure what anyone expects from the kid. The coaching staff does not want anything to do with him and have done him no favors.

Well put, a little like last season, where they just throw him in, I feel sorry for him, but he's not a Jet no matter what next year.

I root for him to suck. Used to not, but at this point, we need him to be downright awful so we can get new leadership and improve the odds that nobody representing the Jets will stupidly pass on a 1st round QB in the upcoming draft.

Consider this:

Idzik, faced with a historically deep draft at WR, manages to draft a Safety and a TE. Both who turn out to be busts. 

Mac, faced with a historically deep draft at RB, manages to draft a 2nd Safety and a pair of trash WRs that he had so little confidence in that he acquired Kearse and Kerley. 

GM of 2018, faced with a historically deep draft at QB, manages to draft a ... we need as much insulation from stupidity next year as possible.

1 hour ago, jetspenguin said:

unfortunately very few QB's would be successful behind this Oline........unless they pitch a shut out, no sack performance Petty is gonna get hurt again.......and THEN the fun begins folks.

First thing's first, we have to commit to playing the ENTIRE game this time.

1 hour ago, section314 said:

Look on the bright side......the game is indoors, so Petty can't use the excuse that he's never played in the rain before.-_-

So the last 2 sh*t bags Fitzpatrick and McCown that won nothing here are allowed excuses but Petty will be under the microscope and scrutinized. 

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

So the last 2 sh*t bags Fitzpatrick and McCown that won nothing here are allowed excuses but Petty will be under the microscope and scrutinized. 

You have to admit, what Petty said after the last game against the Pats last year was pretty lame, even for a Jet.

3 minutes ago, section314 said:

You have to admit, what Petty said after the last game against the Pats last year was pretty lame, even for a Jet.

I like this better. 

Bryce Petty has not started a game all season, and he’s not going to.

The third-year quarterback learned Wednesday that he will not get a chance to start unless Josh McCown gets injured. Todd Bowles made it clear that he’s sticking with his veteran the rest of the way.

This news came as no surprise to Petty, but the young signal-caller is still adamant about getting another chance in the NFL.

“I’m young, and I’m going to get my shot,” he told reporters. “I know that for a fact. So I’m just going to keep working and not worry about anything else I can’t control.”

7 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

I like this better. 

Bryce Petty has not started a game all season, and he’s not going to.

The third-year quarterback learned Wednesday that he will not get a chance to start unless Josh McCown gets injured. Todd Bowles made it clear that he’s sticking with his veteran the rest of the way.

This news came as no surprise to Petty, but the young signal-caller is still adamant about getting another chance in the NFL.

“I’m young, and I’m going to get my shot,” he told reporters. “I know that for a fact. So I’m just going to keep working and not worry about anything else I can’t control.”

Like it too. You are old school like me.....could Petty be Jeff Blake 2? Had some damn good success with Bengals after Coslett never gave him a shot here.

1 minute ago, section314 said:

Like it too. You are old school like me.....could Petty be Jeff Blake 2? Had some damn good success with Bengals after Coslett never gave him a shot here.

I was a Ray Lucas fan as well kid went 6-3 here he was ahead of his time with how the position displayed today. 

Archived