Bryce Petty support group thread

RoadFan

It's an interesting high-wire act Bowles has to walk tomorrow. 

If Petty doesn't throw and the Jets get beaten like a drum, Bowles moves closer to the firing line.

If Petty plays really well and looks like a diamond in the rough that this CS completely disregarded to the detriment of the team's long-term growth and despite what we saw in the preseason, Bowles moves closer to the firing line.

Bowles needs Petty to try and fail in order to have the best chance of saving his job.  It's a sh*t position to be in, but one completely of his own making so I have no sympathy.  What will be interesting is seeing how they call the offense.  Petty is not geared for Captain Dump-off duty.  He should be taking shots downfield to Anderson mixed into the playbook. But those are the plays that threaten to make Bowles look bad if they work.  So this may actually be exciting to watch for reasons other than the outcome (at least for those of us who completely overthink things as a result of having nothing else to root for this year).

I for one can at least root for Petty without mixed feelings.  If he actually beats the Saints (yeah, I know) then we have something exciting to look forward to.  If he doesn't, we are one step closer to drafting a good QB next year.  About the only bad outcome is if the Saints lay an egg and we beat them on the ground.  

3 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I laughed, but then realized what I was laughing at and stopped.

shame on me....

Yeah, I had a moment of doubt as well.  And I may get mod-smacked for it.  But I'm in a foul temper when it comes to Jets football these days so I look for any outlet I can find, no matter how dark.  

32 minutes ago, nycdan said:

It's an interesting high-wire act Bowles has to walk tomorrow. 

If Petty doesn't throw and the Jets get beaten like a drum, Bowles moves closer to the firing line.

If Petty plays really well and looks like a diamond in the rough that this CS completely disregarded to the detriment of the team's long-term growth and despite what we saw in the preseason, Bowles moves closer to the firing line.

Bowles needs Petty to try and fail in order to have the best chance of saving his job.  It's a sh*t position to be in, but one completely of his own making so I have no sympathy.  What will be interesting is seeing how they call the offense.  Petty is not geared for Captain Dump-off duty.  He should be taking shots downfield to Anderson mixed into the playbook. But those are the plays that threaten to make Bowles look bad if they work.  So this may actually be exciting to watch for reasons other than the outcome (at least for those of us who completely overthink things as a result of having nothing else to root for this year).

I for one can at least root for Petty without mixed feelings.  If he actually beats the Saints (yeah, I know) then we have something exciting to look forward to.  If he doesn't, we are one step closer to drafting a good QB next year.  About the only bad outcome is if the Saints lay an egg and we beat them on the ground.  

Petty will be throwing the ball, I think he was babied last week because he had no game prep. I don't think anything Petty does the last 3 weeks will have much effect on Bowles one way or the other. If he plays poorly then Bowles made the right call, if he plays well Bowles and company may have given us a tradable commodity. If Petty gets traded and becomes a franchise QB then I'd say that's a huge egg on bowles face. 

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Must be a weird spot for those few remaining dudes who think this administration is capable and the team is in the right track: you have to affirmatively state that Bryce Petty sucks in order to defend Bowles even as it serves to prove that Maccagnan sucks. 

Does your cult actually believe your ludicrous assertions?

I'd say it's far more damning that Winston and Mariotta are JAGs, and Garret Grayson and Sean Mannion haven't played a game in 3 years.  Those were the QB's drafted ahead of Petty in 15'.

Behind Petty you have Hundley who has been bad (sans the Pitt game), and Siemian who sucks.

Once again your side is making accusations without facts.  There were no QB's in 15' that would have saved the franchise.  Thank god we didn't trade up for Winston or Mariotta.

58 minutes ago, Pac said:

I'd say it's far more damning that Winston and Mariotta are JAGs, and Garret Grayson and Sean Mannion haven't played a game in 3 years.  Those were the QB's drafted ahead of Petty in 15'.

Behind Petty you have Hundley who has been bad (sans the Pitt game), and Siemian who sucks.

Once again your side is making accusations without facts.  There were no QB's in 15' that would have saved the franchise.  Thank god we didn't trade up for Winston or Mariotta.

Let's not cloud the drivel with facts shall we?

1 hour ago, Pac said:

So are you honestly defending drafting Hack and Petty vs making a move for Winston or Mariotta? Guess the point is moot as either would have been on the bench behind Fitz and McCown but hey at least they would be 100% healthy just like Hack is.

I can state this with absolute certainty as I have been going clear for years now.

1 hour ago, Pac said:

Holy delusional crap, Batman!

http://www.nydailynews.com/amp/sports/football/jets/jets-veterans-coaches-ready-bryce-petty-succeed-article-1.3703352

Bryce Petty’s final audition with the Jets will require flawless execution, but he can’t — and won’t — do it alone. There will be plenty of helpers on his last ride, teammates and coaches ready to give the Jets backup-turned-starting quarterback assistance as he tries to win inside a place louder than a bass drum.

It’ll take a village to help Petty in New Orleans on Sunday.

Some might say it’ll take a miracle.

THE BACKFIELD SAGE

Matt Forte has seen just about everything during his decade-long football life, so he’ll be an invaluable resource for Petty amid the chaos. The veteran running back knows that “communication is going to be key” amid the super noise in the Superdome. Forte’s wisdom will be pivotal for Petty in his first start in John Morton’s offense.

“I’ll help him with the small things that he has to remember,” Forte said. “I know he has to think about a lot before the play. Not only calling the play, but the coverages.”

It’ll be a departure from the first three months when Forte practically shared a brain with veteran Josh McCown.

“When I’m back there with Josh, there’s nothing I really need to tell him,” Forte admitted. “I know he sees exactly what I’m seeing... With Bryce back there, not having been back there with him a lot... if we can take (anything) off his plate to make it easier — no matter how small it is — we’ll do that. Whether it’s with protections or just talking with him through different looks from watching film together, then that’s what we’re going to have to do.”

Forte is smart enough to aid — but not overload — the young signal caller before the snap.

I’m not telling him what to do or how to do it,” Forte said. “You just make it known when you see something. If I see the guy in the slot capped by the safety, I’m like, ‘They may be blitzing.’ Just small things like that. Or if there’s a motion in the play that he might have forgotten, it’s like, ‘Hey, move the Y (receiver) over.’ It’s easy things like that just to take a little something off his plate.”

THE BLINDSIDE PROTECTOR

Kelvin Beachum makes a living protecting people who don’t have eyes behind their heads. It’s the life of an NFL left tackle: Make sure your signal caller isn’t paranoid about what’s lurking over his shoulder.

Beachum has protected stars (Ben Roethlisberger) and scrubs (Blake Bortles) with the same care. Making sure Petty isn’t worried about getting blind-sided by behemoths is just the next challenge.

“Any time you have somebody in that hasn’t been with you for a while, you have to have heightened awareness,” Beachum said. “If I had a new left guard that was next to me, I know that I need to communicate a lot better, communicate more. We got to talk things out a little bit more. That just happens when you have somebody that has to be plugged in. He’s the next man up. We got to rally around him. The pieces that are around him just have to do a better job to make his job as easy as possible.”

It’s a matter-of-fact outlook for a guy playing a matter-of-fact position. Offensive linemen are the most practical people on every team. They tell it like it is. There’s no time for B.S. in the trenches.

“He’s been here. He’s been in this system all year,” Beachum said of Petty. “So, he understands it. It’s his time to shine. He has to go out and do what’s necessary to help us win, but we all do. It’s not just on him.”

THE SAFETY VALVE

Austin Seferian-Jenkins made the short flight from Las Vegas to Los Angeles this summer to get extra work in with Petty. They hooked up at USC to run some routes and review concepts over a weekend that revealed just how much each guy was committed to the cause. Seferian-Jenkins knows better than most how much the former Baylor quarterback wants to make this work.

“I got full confidence in him,” Seferian-Jenkins said. “I’m excited to see what he’s going to do. He knows his stuff as well as anyone on the team. We’ve got to know exactly what we’ve got to do with coverage adjustments. We got to let Bryce be Bryce and handle our business, so there can be a good flow.”

Tight ends can be a young signal caller’s best friend, a safety valve to help ease the pressure when things get crazy in the pocket.

“That’s what I hope to be this week,” Seferian-Jenkins said. “Whatever I can do — whether it be blocking or just a safety outlet. Whatever Bryce needs, I’m there… Josh has done a phenomenal job this year, but I think Bryce can come in and do a great job as well. I want people to know that there’s full belief in Bryce. We can go out and win this game with him. It’s not like we’re laying down and saying it’s over. No, we plan to go down there, play well and Bryce to play well.”

THE EYE IN THE SKY

Sometimes honesty isn’t the best policy even though it’s always appreciated. John Morton’s admission in the run-up to this game that he waved the white flag in the fourth quarter of the Jets’ shutout loss in Denver last week was highly unusual, but let’s not bury the guy for his candor.

Reading between the lines was easy: The first-time offensive coordinator didn’t want to damage Petty’s confidence in the face of less-than-ideal circumstances.

Morton, who calls the plays from up in the coach’s booth on gamedays, had a week to tailor a blueprint to Petty’s strengths. That plan will be pivotal if the 15-point-underdog Jets stand a chance against the Saints.

“We’ve set up the game plan where he feels comfortable,” Morton said. “We have a lot of confidence in him. Otherwise, he wouldn’t be the guy. He is the guy right now. We all believe in him.”

Although Morton said “we’re not changing anything” and “we’re going to run our offense,” the Jets will obviously highlight parts of the playbook designed to bring out the best in Petty, who has had success with downfield throws.

“It’s my job to make sure I put him in the right position to have success and not call something (where you say), ‘Maybe something (bad) might happen here,’” Morton said. “I think that is what I need to do.”

Petty has shown in the past that he can improvise with the best of them, but has he grasped this offense enough to function at a high enough level within the confines of Morton’s scheme?

He’s going to need as much help as he can get to pull off this miracle.

3 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

Petty will be throwing the ball, I think he was babied last week because he had no game prep. I don't think anything Petty does the last 3 weeks will have much effect on Bowles one way or the other. If he plays poorly then Bowles made the right call, if he plays well Bowles and company may have given us a tradable commodity. If Petty gets traded and becomes a franchise QB then I'd say that's a huge egg on bowles face. 

McCown played well most of this season and no HC would have benched him.

My disagreement with Bowles occurred when McCown got injured the first time against Denver, Petty comes in and completes two straight passes. Why in the world would you put McCown back in the game, especially since he wasn't close to 100%?? I would have liked to see if Petty would have given the team a spark and also develop some rhythm given his two straight completions.  That said, Petty now has had a weeks preparation as the starter and I am really rooting for him to perform. 

18 hours ago, RoadFan said:

BI am generally a negative person around here.  This franchise has beaten me to somewhere between disgust and total apathy.

I went against my typical Jet bashing ways and was extremely positive all off-season about Robby.  I was near certain he was a player. 

Which brings me to Bryce Petty.   None of us expect him to miraculously turn into a franchise QB.  But I have seen just enough to keep me curious.  He is charismatic, has some balls, shows courage in the pocket, and there is evidence of an adequate skill set for at least some level of success at the NFL level.

Again, I am not expecting him to come out of nowhere ala Tony Romo.  But I think it is possible that he could earn himself a role on this team moving forward.  Whether that be as a "bridge guy," and/or a long-term backup.

Other than Robby, I have found it difficult lately to wish for a Jet to succeed.  Maye has been a pleasant surprise, 2nd round curse and all.

Bryce Petty, in my opinion, is an easy guy to root for...

I expect him to have a Kellen Clemens like career. This is what disgusts me: The ******* Jets drafted Hackenberg, and he has yet to take the field for us. I mean there's a chance this guy might not even make the team next year. How can we draft a QB in the 2nd ******* round and have a pretty good chance of cutting him next off-season without seeing him on the field. Let Hackenberg play!!!! Todd Bowles is an IDIOT.

2 hours ago, Pac said:

1. I don’t have a “side” or a “team” or an “ilk.” I consider myself to be a charismatic, intellectual rogue shark and objective, if cynical, analyst of all things. 

2. I disliked Mariota forever and am greatly pleased by his flatlining as the Hawaiian Matt Ryan. It brings my Rare Wrongness tally to 1. Liking Matt Leinart; 2. Disliking Deshaun Watson; 3. Slandering the Mets two years ago. That’s it

32 minutes ago, Ghost said:

I expect him to have a Kellen Clemens like career. This is what disgusts me: The ******* Jets drafted Hackenberg, and he has yet to take the field for us. I mean there's a chance this guy might not even make the team next year. How can we draft a QB in the 2nd ******* round and have a pretty good chance of cutting him next off-season without seeing him on the field. Let Hackenberg play!!!! Todd Bowles is an IDIOT.

Bowles is an idiot.   But in your context, you should be hammering Macc instead.  Macc is the dingleweed that used a 2nd round pick on a guy so horrid, that he might never take a snap in the NFL.

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Mobile QB not afraid to throw out of the pocket or run with the ball.  

I don't why I'm even responding to any of your posts as all you seem to do is spin everything in a negative manner.

Yes, I forgot, he was the first mobile QB ever 

We have seen enough of petty. He or hack or both are gone after this season. Petty has a chance to prove he can be a #2 for next yr. I don’t see us getting 1 of blue chip qbs in draft but we Will definately draft 1 Who most likely will have to sit a yr. McCown is likely the starter, I hope to see petty prove he can be a #2. In 19 maybe our 2018 rookie qb can take over and petty can be the #2 for him. Of course I would like to see hackenberg play a fam half at least ha. Chicken gm is afraid to show him 

1 minute ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

We have seen enough of petty. He or hack or both are gone after this season. Petty has a chance to prove he can be a #2 for next yr. I don’t see us getting 1 of blue chip qbs in draft but we Will definately draft 1 Who most likely will have to sit a yr. McCown is likely the starter, I hope to see petty prove he can be a #2. In 19 maybe our 2018 rookie qb can take over and petty can be the #2 for him. Of course I would like to see hackenberg play a fam half at least ha. Chicken gm is afraid to show him 

Josh McCown hopefully retires and derails any plan to bring him back here better would be Macc and Bowles fired to end all this once for all. 

Just now, joewilly12 said:

For the NY Jets he was. 

You are officially back on IGNORE. 

Got it, he was ahead of his time for the Jets but nobody else, thanks for clearing that up. I’m surprised he didn’t ply longer for the Jets being so ahead of his time.

5 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Got it, he was ahead of his time for the Jets but nobody else, thanks for clearing that up. I’m surprised he didn’t ply longer for the Jets being so ahead of his time.

Ok im gonna play..name a NY Jets QB that was ever as mobile as Ray Lucas we had nothing but pocket passers up until Ray Lucas played QB for us and if I remember correctly he left in free agency and was signed by the Dolphins as there starter.

Im surprised the moderators allow you to continually troll this board and offer nothing football related or educated ever. 

7 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Josh McCown hopefully retires and derails any plan to bring him back here better would be Macc and Bowles fired to end all this once for all. 

Ha well someone has to play qb. Highly doubtful we will get a ready to play rookie in the draft next yr thanks to failing to tank. If McCown can play anywhere near he did this yr, we may win 8 games next yr best case scenario. Unless they want to try another tank yr, let petty or hackenberg play all yr ha 

1 minute ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Ha well someone has to play qb. Highly doubtful we will get a ready to play rookie in the draft next yr thanks to failing to tank. If McCown can play anywhere near he did this yr, we may win 8 games next yr best case scenario. Unless they want to try another tank yr, let petty or hackenberg play all yr ha 

No no no ....no more old retreads let a rookie take his lumps finish 0-16 who the hell cares.  

10 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Ok im gonna play..name a NY Jets QB that was ever as mobile as Ray Lucas we had nothing but pocket passers up until Ray Lucas played QB for us and if I remember correctly he left in free agency and was signed by the Dolphins as there starter.

Im surprised the moderators allow you to continually troll this board and offer nothing football related or educated ever. 

Relax bud, I’m just soaking up knowledge, like a sponge.

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

No no no ....no more old retreads let a rookie take his lumps finish 0-16 who the hell cares.  

Ha I would agree if we had a semi-decent team to support his rookie lumps. We have wasted so many picks on the D or Qbs Who never play, we have forgot building a decent line and weapons to throw to important for a qb, especially a rookie. We gave mark Sanchez the very best scenario for a rookie qb. Great line, good big or savy targets, vets all around. Embarrassing and physically hurting your rookie qb because the rest of the team sucks won’t do him any good.

Let's face Bowles is coming back and so is Macagnan...

And hence I am all in for Case Keenum at this point with Petty as his back up.  I think that Keenum has now shown that he is a good enough QB to be starting in the NFL and I think that he will come at a much cheaper price tag than Cousins...

3 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

So are you honestly defending drafting Hack and Petty vs making a move for Winston or Mariotta? Guess the point is moot as either would have been on the bench behind Fitz and McCown but hey at least they would be 100% healthy just like Hack is.

I can state this with absolute certainty as I have been going clear for years now.

We weren't in a position to draft Winston or Mariotta and I'm very glad we didn't make a move to get either, correct.

They have been spectacularly mediocre and once the Titans collapse is complete will have 0 playoff appearances between them in 3 years.

5 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Let's face Bowles is coming back and so is Macagnan...

And hence I am all in for Case Keenum at this point with Petty as his back up.  I think that Keenum has now shown that he is a good enough QB to be starting in the NFL and I think that he will come at a much cheaper price tag than Cousins...

I can so see this happening. 

Who do we draft wth the #1 pick a RB or an edge rusher LB or possibly CB Minkah Fitzpatrick?

Archived