Bryce Petty really stinks

FloridaJetsFan

Just now, gEYno said:

The problem with Mac isn't even Hackenberg.  It's that heading into year three, his by far best option was Josh McCown and after year 3, that still seems to be the case.

I don't think McCown was ever meant to be the starter unless Hack could not beat him in camp. McCown was only going to be paid if he started this year. 

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Petty missed throws that a high school prospect would make in his sleep.
Floating screen passes 3 feet over Forte's head, dirting wide open come back
routes at the feet of Anderson.  Shameful!!!  The defense played their butts
off and got THREE turnovers and Petty did nothing to change the momentum of the
game

18 minutes ago, KRL said:

Petty missed throws that a high school prospect would make in his sleep.
Floating screen passes 3 feet over Forte's head, dirting wide open come back
routes at the feet of Anderson.  Shameful!!!  The defense played their butts
off and got THREE turnovers and Petty did nothing to change the momentum of the
game

KRL great post. 

34 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

You can see accuracy in practice, Petty has bad accuracy.

I get it. Hackenberg probably would be terrible but at this point he was picked in the 2nd rd 2 years ago and is relatively young and played really good division 1 football at one point in his life. 

Petty was never a sought after prospect, is much older in football terms and has had small sample size to show he is not the answer. At this point in this season the only reasonable play is hackenberg to start at QB 

Just now, Anthony Jet said:

I get it. Hackenberg probably would be terrible but at this point he was picked in the 2nd rd 2 years ago and is relatively young and played really good division 1 football at one point in his life. 

Petty was never a sought after prospect, is much older in football terms and has had small sample size to show he is not the answer. At this point in this season the only reasonable play is hackenberg to start at QB 

I completely agree, because McCown is unavailable and Petty is bad then I'd go with Hack. My whole argument for McCown was competent reps for the rest of the team, it's clear that won't be happening now.

2 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I completely agree, because McCown is unavailable and Petty is bad then I'd go with Hack. My whole argument for McCown was competent reps for the rest of the team, it's clear that won't be happening now.

Agreed on the mccown front also up until our 7th loss. I think this team is a QB away from playoff contender, super bowl contender not so much but baby steps 

Today's game was another example of why I love Baker Mayfield as a prospect.
Petty is 6-3 and yet he had 5-6 passes knocked down at the line of scrimmage.
Why???  Because he's clueless in terms of sliding in the pocket and finding
open passing lanes.  Everything Mayfield does on a regular basis, I don't think
I've seen one of Mayfield's passes knocked down all year.  Height means nothing

26 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

This team will never, ever, develop a QB.  Ain't happening.  Whomever they bring on, they better be ready to go from day 1.

Pretty much. I really wonder if Jets fans watch other QBs. Goff would have been run out of town last year had he been a Jet

4 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Pretty much. I really wonder if Jets fans watch other QBs. Goff would have been run out of town last year had he been a Jet

If we want to be historically accurate, it's more like, if he makes 2 good throws in preseason, Jets fans will start thinking he's better than Tom Brady as there's still not one good example of a player Jets fans "ran out of town" too soon, but there are plenty of examples of crap players who the majority of the fanbase loved.

4 minutes ago, gEYno said:

If we want to be historically accurate, it's more like, if he makes 2 good throws in preseason, Jets fans will start thinking he's better than Tom Brady as there's still not one good example of a player Jets fans "ran out of town" too soon, but there are plenty of examples of crap players who the majority of the fanbase loved.

Mark Sanchez would've had at least 2 superbowls by now.

/sarc

7 minutes ago, gEYno said:

No, it's more like 'if he makes 2 good throws in preseason, SOME Jets fans believe he should get more reps in practice and regular season starts before garbage time after the 38 y.o. career loser retread starts the first 13 games'.

Fixed it for ya.  You're welcome.

The great majority of misses were on short throws into traffic when the Saints were daring him to go deep. He looked poor but its what his 5th start? He also threw some beautiful passes that fit his game better. The offensive plan today did him no favors it did not fit his strengths at all. I think Petty is a very emotional player as well and it will be interesting to see his performance as he gets more comfortable. Only Jets fans would pine for a 38 year old JAG like McClown. Petty should have 15 starts by now, and most or all of this season to see if he develops. but it's the Jets so well just throw him off the deep end for 3 games and then go find another water-treading JAGOFF

Nobody is “pining” for McCown, and for you to say that shows how disconnected you are from our fandom.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

27 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Eh, I am not one to jump to conclusions on any QB until I see them do something consistently, one way or another. There are always going to be a ton of fans who love the backup QB. Hell, a lot of Jets fans loved Geno Smith when he was backing up Ryan Fitzpatrick.

As for running someone out of town too soon, I am not really of the theory that a QB can either play or cannot play, but rather the majority of good QB's are the right person, in the right place, with the right system, the right players around them and the right training. The Jets in all my years of being a fan have not had one coach or system I would look at and say was conducive to developing a QB. In addition, I am very much of the opinion that the first few years in the NFL are where a QB is made or destroyed. Very few good QB's have ever looked bad in one place and then gone on to become good somewhere else.

The odds of Petty or Hackenberg being a good QB are extremely low, regardless of what anyone thinks about them or Mac or Bowles, but rather just based on the numbers. There are about 10-15 people on earth at any point in time who can play NFL QB at a high level, so the odds that either of our 2 can, is not good. Then again, the odds of me cashing in on my term life policy is not very good either statistically, but that doesn't mean I should write off the idea of a term life policy of being a good one either.

I personally think the haste of judgement of a QB is extremely short sighted and shows a complete lack of understanding of the NFL and in particular the QB position and its complexity. Hell, Eli Manning was considered a colossal bust in week 16 of his 4th season by most of the NFL and even the most hard core Giants fans, and is now likely going to the hall of fame. And no, I don't think all QBs deserve 4 years of evaluation, but I think 5 starts is not the right number either. 

3 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Eh, I am not one to jump to conclusions on any QB until I see them do something consistently, one way or another. There are always going to be a ton of fans who love the backup QB. Hell, a lot of Jets fans loved Geno Smith when he was backing up Ryan Fitzpatrick.

As for running someone out of town too soon, I am not really of the theory that a QB can either play or cannot play, but rather the majority of good QB's are the right person, in the right place, with the right system, the right players around them and the right training. The Jets in all my years of being a fan have not had one coach or system I would look at and say was conducive to developing a QB. In addition, I am very much of the opinion that the first few years in the NFL are where a QB is made or destroyed. Very few good QB's have ever looked bad in one place and then gone on to become good somewhere else.

The odds of Petty or Hackenberg being a good QB are extremely low, regardless of what anyone thinks about them or Mac or Bowles, but rather just based on the numbers. There are about 10-15 people on earth at any point in time who can play NFL QB at a high level, so the odds that either of our 2 can, is not good. Then again, the odds of me cashing in on my term life policy is not very good either statistically, but that doesn't mean I should write off the idea of a term life policy of being a good one either.

I personally think the haste of judgement of a QB is extremely short sighted and shows a complete lack of understanding of the NFL and in particular the QB position and its complexity. Hell, Eli Manning was considered a colossal bust in week 16 of his 4th season by most of the NFL and even the most hard core Giants fans, and is now likely going to the hall of fame. And no, I don't think all QBs deserve 4 years of evaluation, but I think 5 starts is not the right number either. 

Great post.  Thank you.

5 hours ago, gEYno said:

There is a reason McCown started.  There is also a reason Petty was way ahead of Hackenberg.

These are the reasons all of us should be scared.

Petty was bad. And Hack is worse so I don't know how Macc has these two backup options in year 3.

2 minutes ago, Maxman said:

These are the reasons all of us should be scared.

Petty was bad. And Hack is worse so I don't know how Macc has these two backup options in year 3.

And neither of them, or anyone else you bring in, is going to improve until you develop them instead of trotting out mid-to late 30's yo retreads...you know, the supposed 'mentors'.  They ain't mentoring sh*t, they're taking starts from potential long-term answers.

The LA Rams went into this season with 3 QBs, all in like their 2nd or 3rd season.

Case Keenum has figured it out to some degree in his 5-6th season in MN.

CLE moved on from McCown in favor of 3 young guys, looking for a long-term solution at QB.  Doesn't CLE need a QB as bad as we do?

CHI has Glennon and Sanchez on the roster and plays Trubisky....did he necessarily give the team the 'best chance to win' or rather the chance to be a long-term solution?

I'm just frustrated as f*ck...playing Fitz and McCown for the past 3 years has served absolutely NO purpose whatsoever. NONE.

And we head into next season with the same questions at QB as we had starting this season.

Sometimes I hate this team.

3 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

And neither of them, or anyone else you bring in, is going to improve until you develop them instead of trotting out mid-to late 30's yo retreads...you know, the supposed 'mentors'.  They ain't mentoring sh*t, they're taking starts from potential long-term answers.

The LA Rams went into this season with 3 QBs, all in like their 2nd or 3rd season.

Case Keenum has figured it out to some degree in his 5-6th season in MN.

CLE moved on from McCown in favor of 3 young guys, looking for a long-term solution at QB.  Doesn't CLE need a QB as bad as we do?

CHI has Glennon and Sanchez on the roster and plays Trubisky....did he necessarily give the team the 'best chance to win' or rather the chance to be a long-term solution?

I'm just frustrated as f*ck...playing Fitz and McCown for the past 3 years has served absolutely NO purpose whatsoever. NONE.

And we head into next season with the same questions at QB as we had starting this season.

Sometimes I hate this team.

How many QBs in the league weren't good (or didn't play) the first four years and then became good in Year 5? Case? Who else? I am actually asking seriously, I am all for the model. What they are doing now isn't working. But this theory lends itself more to they should have kept Sanchez.

Pretty good chance that both Petty and Hack would never be good even if they roomed with Bill Walsh.

5 minutes ago, Maxman said:

How many QBs in the league weren't good (or didn't play) the first four years and then became good in Year 5? Case? Who else? I am actually asking seriously, I am all for the model. What they are doing now isn't working. But this theory lends itself more to they should have kept Sanchez.

Pretty good chance that both Petty and Hack would never be good even if they roomed with Bill Walsh.

Maybe some don’t qualify but...

Eli?  Aaron Rodgers?  Doug Flutie? VInny T? Rich Gannon?   Jeff Hostetler?

1 minute ago, Maxman said:

Fine.  If you truly believed that neither Petty or Hack has the chance to be better than Josh McCown after 15 years in the NFL at age 38, both should have been sh*tcanned after the preseason and other solutions searched for.  Honestly, Josh McCown?  There's no chance either of those guys can be better than him?

This season should have been all about the young QB's, good or bad.  McCown the 'mentor'.  Instead it's a wasted season with 5 wins, ruining our draft position and we still (IMO) haven't given Petty a reasonable have to progress (could have answered that in the 1st half of the season) nor seen Hack...who in all probability will bomb too.

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Maybe some don’t qualify but...

Eli?  Aaron Rodgers?  Doug Flutie? VInny T? Rich Gannon?   Jeff Hostetler?

Eli was a top pick. Aaron was supposed to be a top pick, then he slipped. But they always liked him, he was stuck behind a hall of famer.

Gannon, Hostetler and Vinny though -- the game was different then. It has changed so much with the cap and free agency.

1 minute ago, greenwave81 said:

Fine.  If you truly believed that neither Petty or Hack has the chance to be better than Josh McCown after 15 years in the NFL at age 38, both should have been sh*tcanned after the preseason and other solutions searched for.  Honestly, Josh McCown?  There's no chance either of those guys can be better than him?

This season should have been all about the young QB's, good or bad.  McCown the 'mentor'.  Instead it's a wasted season with 5 wins, ruining our draft position and we still (IMO) haven't given Petty a reasonable have to progress (could have answered that in the 1st half of the season) nor seen Hack...who in all probability will bomb too.

Listen, I wanted the kids to play. I said that all camp.

But we can't blame Bowles for this decision. He makes millions of dollars a year so he is going for those wins. This is an organizational problem.

The upside to playing McCown is 1) they found their next head coach and 2) they developed some young talent

4 hours ago, Xtina said:

I was just about to say the same thing. What an eye opener and disappointment. And how much worse must hackemburg be? Now it's obvious why they scrounge for journeymen QBs but what are they keeping these guys around for? 

Thank you.. thank you... thank you....

At least someone else is finally asking this question!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

prayer GIF

1 minute ago, Maxman said:

Listen, I wanted the kids to play. I said that all camp.

But we can't blame Bowles for this decision. He makes millions of dollars a year so he is going for those wins. This is an organizational problem.

The upside to playing McCown is 1) they found their next head coach and 2) they developed some young talent

Yes, it is an organizational problem...which requires an 'organizational' answer, not a 'Todd Bowles' answer because he wants a job with 5 wins when 2-3 wins nets them a better chance of long-term success.  And, Josh McCown developed NO ONE....not even Robby Anderson.

The easy part of our schedule was the beginning, and that was when the young QB's should have been playing...not now, in garbage time with 8-9 losses, when the team is deflated.

Josh McCown should never started a game unless the two young guys got hurt...he was never an 'organizational' answer.

1 hour ago, greenwave81 said:

No, it's more like 'if he makes 2 good throws in preseason, SOME Jets fans believe he should get more reps in practice and regular season starts before garbage time after the 38 y.o. career loser retread starts the first 13 games'.

Fixed it for ya.  You're welcome.

Well, I'm not sure Hack made 2 good throws in preseason, and thus far Petty looks like he belongs well behind McCown.  No one is happy that McCown is by far our best QB.  Unfortunately, he is.

2 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Start Hack, please. 

I'm going to agree with you, but not because I think it's the way this should have gone down.

At this point, the Jets have clearly shown they've little confidence in Petty...probably a correct assessment, but not adequately proven in my book...but it is what it is.  Petty should have started the 1st half of the season, then if no progress was there, Hack should have been starting.  Get it all out, answer questions and move on if need be.

Whatever would happen, 2 games for Hack would be meaningful experience.

1 minute ago, gEYno said:

Well, I'm not sure Hack made 2 good throws in preseason, and thus far Petty looks like he belongs well behind McCown.  No one is happy that McCown is by far our best QB.  Unfortunately, he is.

Gee...McCown with 15 years NFL experience and having played in the Morton WCO version previously looked better than Petty.  Color me surprised.  Then he's announced as the starter and Petty gets scout team reps.  Good times.

Sometimes Jets fans, and coaches apparently, can't see the forest for the trees.

Archived