Bryce Petty really stinks

FloridaJetsFan

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Petty's Pocket awareness is horrid. Its so bad I'm not sure he can make it as an NFL QB

I saw on 2 occasions 3rd and short he could have run for a first while his receivers were blanketed and he chose to force the ball incomplete. These were huge holes right in front of his face that opened up and he missed both easy first down opportunities.

We saw McCown run this offense very well so no excuses for Petty in that regard. 

A real NFL head coach would be playing Hackenberg next week to see what he can do in a real game. Not that hes going to light it up but Petty did nothing to warrant a second start

3 hours ago, Anthony Jet said:

What does that have to do with petty not being a terrible pick. 

Thats says more to him being a bad GM

what I’m saying is the petty pick wasn’t terrible. Our expectations of petty are way off 

Petty being the best option after McCown being the best option is the problem. Also, only having two QBs is pretty risky. 

30 minutes ago, MaxAF said:

I agree, but Garrapollo was under Brady and Bellicheat for 4 years. I think that makes a difference. He might be better than Petty also.

I'm not arguing that. Just arguing against the logic that "it's only __ games". A player can show enough in a small sample to give some semblance of an idea of what he is. 

Being a fan of this team is simply depressing.

Everyone needs to go. But that won't happen.

Instead we're looking at a world where Brock Osweiler is handing off to Matt Forte in 2018 as our 1st round DT pick is a nice run clogger who has zero impact on the passing game. #jets!

36 minutes ago, August said:

I'm not arguing that. Just arguing against the logic that "it's only __ games". A player can show enough in a small sample to give some semblance of an idea of what he is. 

Man I've seen him make some nice throws. And I've seen him make some crappy throws. With more game time would he get better? Be more consistent? 

2 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

and all those batted balls.  the game was going too fast for him.  still.

Yeah, I mean its alarming. I didn’t expect that much from him. But a good back up is supposed to be servicable when he comes in. This is just bad, same as last year.  

5 hours ago, MaxAF said:

Man I've seen him make some nice throws. And I've seen him make some crappy throws. With more game time would he get better? Be more consistent? 

He hasn't even had an okay game yet. A few good throws here and there is cool but in need to see him have a few solid games at least. 

Bryce Petty is exactly what Jets feared he was

NEW ORLEANS — You want so badly to root for Bryce Petty. He’s relentlessly upbeat, always has a smile on his face and is ready for a friendly conversation. He works hard. He’s waited his turn, three years now. He’s been a good teammate, never complained. But you watch Petty play and you cannot help but wonder whether he’s good enough to be a starting NFL quarterback. If you watched him play in Sunday’s 31-19 loss to the Saints at the Superdome, you could not help but wonder if he’s exactly the player most in the Jets hierarchy have viewed him as since he was drafted in the fourth round in 2015 — a reliable backup quarterback. Nothing more. Nothing less.

It’s unfair to place the burden of blame all on Petty’s shoulders for this latest Jets loss — their seventh in the past nine games. It’s unfair to make a far-reaching assessment of Petty’s potential future as a starting NFL quarterback based on his first start this season and only the fifth of his career. It, too, is unfair to compare the Jets’ No. 9 (Petty) to the Saints’ No. 9 (Drew Brees), because the Saints’ No. 9 is headed to the Pro Football Hall of Fame soon after he’s eligible. The Jets, 16 ¹/₂-point underdogs, had no business winning this game, let alone trailing by only four points entering the fourth quarter, which happens to be the Jets’ unofficial dark period, or trailing by five points inside the two-minute warning. So credit where credit is due should be doled out to the Jets for keeping the game within reach. But was it within winning reach?

If you watched the game and you’re honest with yourself, you’re hard-pressed to convince anyone you ever had the feeling the Jets were going win this game. Why? Because their quarterback wasn’t — isn’t? — good enough. Petty completed 19-of-39 passes for 179 yards, with a paltry 4.59-yards-per-pass-attempt average. He threw one touchdown pass (with 1:51 remaining) and two interceptions. The first pick, a pass to tight end Neal Sterling that was deflected away by Saints corner Kenny Crawley, never should have been an interception because Crawley clearly interfered with Sterling before the pass got to him. But there was no call because bad teams don’t get calls, and the ball was plucked from the air by Saints linebacker Craig Robertson.

The second one was a garbage-time Hail Mary with the game out of reach. This assessment of Petty isn’t about statistics, however. There simply was something missing Sunday, much the way something has been missing from most of his five NFL starts — four of which are losses. The Jets defense gave Petty and the offense three turnovers, and Petty and the offense turned those three turnovers into three points. And even the three points the Jets converted were hardly a credit to Petty because they came after Leonard Williams picked off Brees, giving the Jets the ball at the New Orleans 11-yard line with 1:14 remaining in the first half with the Jets trailing 17-7. The Jets’ ensuing possession went four plays for zero yards and they settled for a Chandler Catanzaro 29-yard field goal that tasted like a dirt sandwich as opposed to a good New Orleans po’boy. Despite the widespread admiration there is for Petty among his teammates and coaches, you felt a lukewarm assessment of his Sunday performance even from them.

“Some plays he’d like to have back,” Jets coach Todd Bowles said. “He was high on some balls and low on some others.” Asked specifically about Petty’s failure to convert the turnovers and in the red zone, Bowles said: “Well, he just didn’t make any plays — plays we need to make to win the game, he didn’t make. But he’ll get better at that.”  Jets receiver Jermaine Kearse, asked how he thought Petty played, curiously (but tellingly) deferred. “I mean, I don’t like to make assessments without looking at the tape,” Kearse said. “I felt like he did some things solid. There were probably some plays he wanted back and probably … exactly that.”

Jets left tackle Kelvin Beachum was kinder. “He gave us a chance to win,” he said. “We were in the game and had a chance to win, and with any quarterback you have behind you, as long as you have a chance to win, the quarterback is doing his job.” Petty, of course, while being accountable for his missteps, also was upbeat after the loss, talking about “[a] lot of positive things from this game” he’ll take. He’ll start next week against the Chargers at home and the following week in New England for the season finale. Hopefully he’ll show more.

Because you root for him to do so.

7 hours ago, shuler82 said:

Being a fan of this team is simply depressing.

Everyone needs to go. But that won't happen.

Instead we're looking at a world where Brock Osweiler is handing off to Matt Forte in 2018 as our 1st round DT pick is a nice run clogger who has zero impact on the passing game. #jets!

Sub in Tom Savage for Osweiler and you pretty much predicted the Jets 2018 season

1 hour ago, August said:

He hasn't even had an okay game yet. A few good throws here and there is cool but in need to see him have a few solid games at least. 

Petty can’t read defenses and go through progressions. Sure he can throw the ball 70 yards but that’s it. He’s a poor man’s JP Losman

1 hour ago, Charlie Brown said:

Petty is way better than folks out here think.   I really think that he shows up on Sunday and not that doesn’t mean he should be the starter next year or that we don’t draft a QB. 

I just feel he is better than he has been portrayed to be.   

Portrayed by whom?  Himself?  He hasn't shown NFL starter quality since he was drafted either in practice or in any game.  Granted, there is little to no development of young players under Todd Bowles, so I'm not entirely blaming Petty.  But he has shown startling inaccuracy in his limited appearances.  Hope you are right, but I just don't see it.

18 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Portrayed by whom?  Himself?  He hasn't shown NFL starter quality since he was drafted either in practice or in any game.  Granted, there is little to no development of young players under Todd Bowles, so I'm not entirely blaming Petty.  But he has shown startling inaccuracy in his limited appearances.  Hope you are right, but I just don't see it.

We shall see. 

But I listened very very closely to OC Morton’s press conference yesterday and I believe what I heard from him was dramatically different and essentially at odds with coach Bowles has been espousing. 

He inferred that Petty was fine that he just needs to relax and to make throws he can make.  Morton indicated that Petty couldn’t be accurate when he hasn’t practiced for the whole season.  

Finally he said that he knows that Petty can get the job done. I thought that what he said and what he didn’t say were very telling. He never said “we” made such and such determination concerning Petty. He went out of his way to say that Petty and Hack and how they are treated therefore are essentially a coaches decision and that not he but Bowles is making that decision. 

This is why I believe in Petty playing better because his OC not his HC  knows so.  

But we shall see....

1 hour ago, Charlie Brown said:

Petty is way better than folks out here think.   I really think that he shows up on Sunday and not that doesn’t mean he should be the starter next year or that we don’t draft a QB. 

I just feel he is better than he has been portrayed to be.   

Maybe this time he'll really overachieve and complete 50% of his passes!

5 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

We shall see. 

But I listened very very closely to OC Morton’s press conference yesterday and I believe what I heard from him was dramatically different and essentially at odds with coach Bowles has been espousing. 

He inferred that Petty was fine that he just needs to relax and to make throws he can make.  Morton indicated that Petty couldn’t be accurate when he hasn’t practiced for the whole season.  

Finally he said that he knows that Petty can get the job done. I thought that what he said and what he didn’t say were very telling. He never said “we” made such and such determination concerning Petty. He went out of his way to say that Petty and Hack and how they are treated therefore are essentially a coaches decision and that not he but Bowles is making that decision. 

This is why I believe in Petty playing better because his OC not his HC  knows so.  

But we shall see....

....but only if Bowles lets Petty really play.  No more of this run,run, 3rd and long punt on every freaking series.  How will we ever evaluate Petty (or any offensive player) with that kind of needless conservatism for a team that is long eliminated from the post season?  Sorry, CB, but Bowles won't ever let us see what Petty has or doesn't have. Don't hold your breath waiting.  Bowles coaching style sabotages every single young potential talent on the team.

4 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

We shall see. 

But we shall see....

He hasn't practiced for the whole season?  What does that even mean?  He's been the only back up on the team.

Him getting 1st team reps isn't going to miraculously make him accurate.  Home boy was bouncing high school level throws off the turf. 

He hasn't practiced for the whole season?  What does that even mean?  He's been the only back up on the team.
Him getting 1st team reps isn't going to miraculously make him accurate.  Home boy was bouncing high school level throws off the turf. 

I think what he meant to say is - Quarterbacking isn’t easy ...

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

It’s a curious thing how bad his throws were on Sunday.

It seemed so unnatural. My best guess is that he was aiming the ball rather than just feeling it. Maybe it was nerves. 

By all means Petty may be (likely is) a terrible nfl qb. But he can throw the ball to a receiver 10 yards away. I’m hoping that this weekend he shows better.

Hopefully he is allowed to throw deep this weekend.

Archived