Mac and qbs

kevinc855

I’m curious to know is everyone confident he will pick that right one. We will prob pick 6-8 which means we won’t get the top 2. This guys has totally whiffed on petty and hack. Why do we trust him with this very big upcoming qb pick? To me it’s cousins or bust. 

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't trust this GM to get anything right. This organization has to end up with one of Darnold, Rosen, or Mayfield or the entire season and offseason is a complete failure. Since Darnold and Rosen are going 1-2 we must move up to the third pick but this GM is too gutless to move up and pick Mayfield.

Just now, Pennington said:

I don't trust this GM to get anything right. This organization has to end up with one of Darnold, Rosen, or Mayfield or the entire season and offseason is a complete failure. Since Darnold and Rosen are going 1-2 we must move up to the third pick but this GM is too gutless to move up and pick Mayfield.

Macc failed to move up to draft Kamara don't forget about that. 

6 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

What were your expectations of Bryce Petty as a 4th round pick that he's a "complete whiff"?

PS, it's more about the coaching a QB gets then "finding the right one".

Did you watch this guys 5 starts? I did. He is beyond awful, he terrible. He’s inaccurate, makes bad decisions and has zero spark

Just now, kevinc855 said:

Did you watch this guys 5 starts? I did. He is beyond awful, he terrible. He’s inaccurate, makes bad decisions and has zero spark

Again, what were your expectations? He was a 4th round pick from an offense that asked him to literally do zero processing of defenses or anything NFL QBs have to do.  He was a complete project, even more than Hackenburg.  If you thought he might be a starting level QB someday, then that's on you.  

Just now, HawkeyeJet said:

Again, what were your expectations? He was a 4th round pick from an offense that asked him to literally do zero processing of defenses or anything NFL QBs have to do.  He was a complete project, even more than Hackenburg.  If you thought he might be a starting level QB someday, then that's on you.  

I expect him to complete more then half his passes. If that’s to much to ask the ok

3 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Then why even draft him?  

5 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Then why even draft him?  

Because the 4th or 5th round is where you take a chance on a QB that doesn't check all the boxes and hope you can mold the ability into something?  Is that an honest question? I know it's easy and fun to bitch about everything the Jets do, but some of the complaints/comments from fans are so dumb it's maddening.

1 minute ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Because the 4th or 5th round is where you take chances on QBs that doesn't check all the boxes and hope you can mold the ability into something?  Is that an honest question? I know it's easy and fun to bitch about everything the Jets do, but some of the complaints/comments from fans are so dumb it's maddening.

Petty was a one read qb who came out of the same program that had just made RG3

Not only is Petty evidence Macc knows nothing about qb’s he’s exhibit A next to that BUST Hack

44 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

I’m curious to know is everyone confident he will pick that right one. We will prob pick 6-8 which means we won’t get the top 2. This guys has totally whiffed on petty and hack. Why do we trust him with this very big upcoming qb pick? To me it’s cousins or bust. 

How about the fact that the year Petty was drafted no other QB's that we had a chance to draft have done anything at all?

The only QB that has done anything the year Hack was drafted is Dak and things are going a lot differently for him this year.

There are finally a surplus of QB's coming out with 1st round grades and we should be in a position to get one of them.

No one ever answers the simple question of which QB Macc should have drafted that missed on.

Watson had 4 good games going 1-3 and is on IR...  Despite the hero worship Mahomes hasn't played a down.  Even if I give you Watson that makes 1 QB in 3 years.

Everyone likes to pretend Macc has had his choice of franchise QB's and passed on them but that simply doesn't jibe with reality.

2 minutes ago, Pac said:

How about the fact that the year Petty was drafted no other QB's that we had a chance to draft have done anything at all?

The only QB that has done anything the year Hack was drafted is Dak and things are going a lot differently for him this year.

There are finally a surplus of QB's coming out with 1st round grades and we should be in a position to get one of them.

No one ever answers the simple question of which QB Macc should have drafted that missed on.

Watson had 4 good games going 1-3 and is on IR...  Despite the hero worship Mahomes hasn't played a down.  Even if I give you Watson that makes 1 QB in 3 years.

So last 2 years Mac passed on both Watson and Prescott for Hack and McCown and we still have no reason to criticize anything?

Just now, Philc1 said:

So last 2 years Mac passed on both Watson and Prescott for Hack and McCown and we still have no reason to criticize anything?

Everyone passed on Prescott 3 times.

Watson is on IR and was 1-3 when he played.

If you want to criticize these 2 moves I can at least understand it.  It's when all the whiners play the game of make believe where Macc has passed on 10 franchise QB's that I roll my eyes.

1 minute ago, Pac said:

Everyone passed on Prescott 3 times.

Watson is on IR and was 1-3 when he played.

If you want to criticize these 2 moves I can at least understand it.  It's when all the whiners play the game of make believe where Macc has passed on 10 franchise QB's that I roll my eyes.

No one else passed on Dak Prescott for Christina Hackenturd 

12 minutes ago, Pac said:

Everyone likes to pretend Macc has had his choice of franchise QB's and passed on them but that simply doesn't jibe with reality.

right.  if everyone, including mac, thought that the way to get the jets back to the playoffs is to get a top qb they would've had one by now.  the simple fact is it takes a little time to build the team foundation and that also includes the front office.  the most important thing coming out of this season is whether or not bowles should continue to be the head coach. 

and with regard to watson or any other rookie qb's it is doubtful, given bowles mindset to start veteran qb's, that watson wouldn't have started this season.

I'm certainly not confident in Macc but I'm comfortable with him making a decision over a new GM. If we hired a new GM the scouts don't get released until after the draft so either way it will be Macc's guys. 

1) Cousins - 6 years 28M average with $65M guaranteed that will be paid out in the first 2 years so we can cut bait with him if needed.

2) If Cousins goes elsewhere, I'd see if we could get McCarron (as a FA not in a trade) or I resign McCown for a year. I'd then look to see how much it would cost to get to the highest pick available for trade and take one of Darnold/Rosen/Mayfield

3) If all 3 are gone then I'd look to sit pat and take Lamar Jackson. 

4) If all 4 are gone before our pick and the majority of scouts think Allen is a legit QB in the NFL then I'd sit pat and take him.

5) If all 4 are gone and Allen is very much all over the place on draft boards then I'd draft Kevin Falk or Mason Rudolph in the 2nd round and go BPA at LT/EDGE in the 1st

- I want us to sign two off; Butler/Johnson/Claiborne in FA

41 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Do whatever it takes to get Mayfield.  

It's basically the only way to salvage a terrible situation. We could have gone into the season with Petty and Hack as our two QBs and we would have picked first or second and ended up with Darnold or Rosen. So because Mac had to sign McCown we have no shot at the top two QBs and Mayfield is the only other QB worthy of a top 10 pick.

We all know that this GM if he keeps his job will just resign McCown or another journeyman, go with his BPA who will not be a QB in the draft and pick a scrub QB in the second round. I for one am tired of taking this half ass approach to solving our QB issues but I doubt anything changes. I guess we could always waste 30 million per season on Cousins who hasn't won a big game in his career but we should do whatever it takes to move up to 3 to draft Mayfield.

28 minutes ago, rangerous said:

right.  if everyone, including mac, thought that the way to get the jets back to the playoffs is to get a top qb they would've had one by now.  the simple fact is it takes a little time to build the team foundation and that also includes the front office.  the most important thing coming out of this season is whether or not bowles should continue to be the head coach. 

and with regard to watson or any other rookie qb's it is doubtful, given bowles mindset to start veteran qb's, that watson wouldn't have started this season.

Niners with Garapolo right now and Watson when he was healthy and Texans looked very good. If you get a good QB, it can cover up for other bad stuff. This is lost on this GM and the run/run/3rd and pass scared CS here. Talk all you want about "foundation", because they've drafted a mess of defenders. The defense sucks balls. Crazy idea-try to draft a top flight QB and see if that works. because it does seem to be working for some other teams.  

1 hour ago, Jet Blast said:

It's a crap shoot.

A crap shoot has odds on various outcomes. it's not all all random. But nice try. Odds are if you pick a defender AGAIN the defense is still gonna suck and the offense will be no better. NFL rules beg you to pass and by design hamstring defenses. So why this franchise overvvalues defense is a complete mystery.  

Was said at the outbreak of World War II the best cavalry troops were the Polish Army. But not much point of having great horsemen in the face of tanks. Investing top picks in defense is like that spare edge pass rushers. 

22 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Niners with Garapolo right now and Watson when he was healthy and Texans looked very good. If you get a good QB, it can cover up for other bad stuff. This is lost on this GM and the run/run/3rd and pass scared CS here. Talk all you want about "foundation", because they've drafted a mess of defenders. The defense sucks balls. Crazy idea-try to draft a top flight QB and see if that works. because it does seem to be working for some other teams.  

i talk about a foundation because they cleaned out all of the deadwood that was there.  oh i'm sure some people will say "what about revis?" or skrine? or marshall? but that was mac trying to make a splash and, except for revis, the other contracts were/are manageable.

13 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

The Jets are not picking a QB at pick 8-11 (where they will pick not 6-8) unless they trade up to one of the top 2 picks, or the 3rd pick should Lamar Jackson emerge as the true elite QB prospect some scouts believe he will be when all the offseason stuff leading up to the draft are completed.  After those 3 there is Josh Allen who will probably get overdrafted around 12-15, and I pray I’m right, and it’s not the Jets setting the franchise back 5+ more years wasting that pick on Allen, then there is Baker Mayfield who IMO is a 3rd round project who will ultimately have a similar career as Landry Jones the back up QB for the Steelers except he will be an attention whoring douche, BUT some stupid team will pick him right around where some stupid team picked Paxton Lynch 20ish.

Everyone who wants the Jets to pick a QB in the 1st round you better hope the Browns for some stupid reason are willing to trade out of the #1 pick again, and the Jets offer the best package no matter the cost otherwise start getting used to the idea of the Jets picking another DT, or CB with pick 8-11.

Archived