Nick foles?

kevinc855

27 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Nick foles is a legit back up q.b. 

So naturally we ask if he can start for us. 

Actually not a terrible idea. Ask yourself, do you want to trade multiple picks to move up to take a Baker Mayfield, or endure another year of ‘McClown gives us best chance to win’ or do you sign a Foles and start him, hold on to your picks, hope that Baker falls to you or maybe Josh Allen and groom either under Foles. Anything that s better than resigning McClown. 

2 minutes ago, BigO said:

Actually not a terrible idea. Ask yourself, do you want to trade multiple picks to move up to take a Baker Mayfield, or endure another year of ‘McClown gives us best chance to win’ or do you sign a Foles and start him, hold on to your picks, hope that Baker falls to you or maybe Josh Allen and groom either under Foles. Anything that s better than resigning McClown. 

Trade multiple picks and get Mayfield.  As far as I'm concerned it's not even an argument

6 minutes ago, BigO said:

Actually it is a terrible idea. it's accepting mediocrity. you trade whatever you have to to get the best qb you can. 

The cheesesteaks, soft pretzels with mustard and the famed Rocky statue were in Philadelphia but otherwise MetLife Stadium was made to feel like home sweet home for the Eagles.

It was not even a hostile takeover as so many Giants fans were happy to recoup part of their season ticket money in a lost season. They bailed on their team that has won only two games and sold their tickets to Philadelphia fans willing to schlep up the Jersey Turnpike.

It's hard to blame them. They've suffered enough.

If the Eagles were wearing their green jerseys and Odell Beckham Jr., was around to impersonate a dog peeing in the end zone, it would have been The Linc.

It was that loud. There was that much green in the stands.

The E-A-G-L-E-S, Eagles, Eagles, Eagles, chant rocked the house.

The Giants were supposed to be Super Bowl contenders and with three December home division games, MetLife was going to be a hot ticket. Instead, the ticket was colder than the weather and colder than the Giants have been all season.

Even though the Giants are now 2-12 and the Eagles are 12-2, Giants fans gave away to keys to their kingdom.

4 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

Actually it is a terrible idea. it's accepting mediocrity. you trade whatever you have to to get the best qb you can. 

So you know McClown will still be the starter next year even if we get Baker don’t you.  I’d rather have Foles than McClown to then transition Baker in. Never said don’t draft a QB in nnext years draft. 

Foles was the option the Jets should have made when he was cut & before we had resigned Fitzpatrick. Go back & look at my comments during that period.

After Foles was let go, to pick up his contract was 1.8 million at the time. In fact, I believe Fitz signed very soon after Foles was waived the Jets would have had 1st dibs & it would have only cost 1.8 million. I argued with Ross Tucker who played for the Bills. I said, why pay Fitz when we could just grab Foles for way less, he argued that Fitz was better than Foles & we had some good back & forth, and I was like, "there is no way that Ryan Fitzpatrick at 15 million is worth more than Nick Foles & saving 12 million. I called after the 2015 season to get his take on how wrong he was. Didn't keep me on long. Fans know JUST AS MUCH as these guys. Just because they played the game means sh*t when your evaluating a player. 

18 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Nick Foles barely beat the Giants today just saying......

They scored 31 points so it wasn't like they won 12-9 in OT.  Bad teams can play good games once in a while.

Every option has to be on the table until we find a long term solution.  some guys are seen as franchise guys but they can never get it done in a big spot(see Philip Rivers).  There are only a handful of truly elite QBs and of that group only Brady(5) and Ben(2) have multiple SB wins.  A great QB is a great headstart but you can win w/ a good QB w/ a great team around them like the giants did. 

This Century non elite QBs to win SBs:

Dilfer

Johnson

Eli 2x

Flacco(though he played like he was elite in that run)

Peyton 2015 was far from elite

No QB should be off the table whether it's about bringing McCown back for a year, going after Bridgewater, Foles, Cousins, drafting a guy high or whatever.  We haven't had a star QB since Vinny 1998 or Chad 2002.  That's a long time ago and outside of those 2 seasons we haven't had a star QB since Namath for a couple of seasons.  We need to prepare like we will never see one, that doesn't mean we can't win. We just have to build up the OL and the parts around the QB like we did a decade ago around this time.

17 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Facing a defense that made CJ Beathard look good

Just to be clear, they didn't 'just barely win' because of Nick Foles....Nick Foles had a good game.

They 'just barely won' because their defense allowed a bad NY Giant offense to score 29 points.

Now, as per signing Foles, I think he is a GREAT back-up.  But unless you want to sign him for that reason and that reason only....

6 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

They scored 31 points so it wasn't like they won 12-9 in OT.  Bad teams can play good games once in a while.

Every option has to be on the table until we find a long term solution.  some guys are seen as franchise guys but they can never get it done in a big spot(see Philip Rivers).  There are only a handful of truly elite QBs and of that group only Brady(5) and Ben(2) have multiple SB wins.  A great QB is a great headstart but you can win w/ a good QB w/ a great team around them like the giants did. 

This Century non elite QBs to win SBs:

Dilfer

Johnson

Eli 2x

Flacco(though he played like he was elite in that run)

Peyton 2015 was far from elite

No QB should be off the table whether it's about bringing McCown back for a year, going after Bridgewater, Foles, Cousins, drafting a guy high or whatever.  We haven't had a star QB since Vinny 1998 or Chad 2002.  That's a long time ago and outside of those 2 seasons we haven't had a star QB since Namath for a couple of seasons.  We need to prepare like we will never see one, that doesn't mean we can't win. We just have to build up the OL and the parts around the QB like we did a decade ago around this time.

Nope - you keep drafting QB's until you find one.  We tried the "build an elite defense" model and it's been mostly a failure.  

It's time to stop thinking small and think long-term, sustainable success.  

Find a franchise QB and you have 15 years to build a winner around him.  

The odds of finding a franchise QB is much better than trying to build an elite defense capable of winning a SB with sub-par QB play.

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

not going to be possible.  Assuming Giants and Cleveland are 1-2 - there's ZERO chance of them trading out of those spots no matter what you offer them.

probably won't be possible but that has to be the first play.. and we better be ready to pay a kings ransom.

Just now, Stark said:

probably won't be possible but that has to be the first play.. and we better be ready to pay a kings ransom.

They're probably going to have pay a kings ransom to take Mayfield.  It'll likely cost them - this year's one, both two's and next year's one - to get to the 3 spot.

And I hope they do it.

9 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Nope - you keep drafting QB's until you find one.  We tried the "build an elite defense" model and it's been mostly a failure.  

It's time to stop thinking small and think long-term, sustainable success.  

Find a franchise QB and you have 15 years to build a winner around him.  

The odds of finding a franchise QB is much better than trying to build an elite defense capable of winning a SB with sub-par QB play.

I wasn't dismissing drafting a QB, I expect to.  I agree w/ you, we build around the QB and keep trying to find that go anywhere we can through the draft, FA, trade, the USFL, the XFL it doesn't matter.  Some day we are bound to get lucky and have a long term franchise QB.

but finding a franchise QB doesn't guarantee SBs.  The Giants would never have come close if the D wasn't great in those runs, SD has never come close w/ Brees, as great as Favre was he only made 2 and won 1, Palmer has never been close, Romo never came close, Stafford has never won a playoff game, as great as Rodgers is he's only made 1 SB, Cam's only been to 1, Ryan has only been to 1, Brees has only been to 1, ...

I am not saying try to build the '85 Bears D(though that would be nice) but we need pieces around the QB in place to win and even w/ the supposed top guys you still need help around them.   we need to keep trying to find that QB but we also need to have pieces in place for the guy to succeed or it's a waste.

imo pulling a ditka to draft one of this year's top prospects is not the right way.  there are just too many unknowns with even the best prospect.  but what they could do is use their first plus next season's draft pick(s) to move up.  there was one thought of using wilky as trade bait but that would mean he'd be on the roster in march and would guarantee his salary.  and wilky is worth a bag of footballs at this point. 

but consider if the jets do manage to piece together a dominant defense.  then a superstar qb isn't needed.  they'd need a game manager type, maybe mccarron.  this could still be a draftee as long as his football iq is off the charts.

8 hours ago, nyjunc said:

I wasn't dismissing drafting a QB, I expect to.  I agree w/ you, we build around the QB and keep trying to find that go anywhere we can through the draft, FA, trade, the USFL, the XFL it doesn't matter.  Some day we are bound to get lucky and have a long term franchise QB.

but finding a franchise QB doesn't guarantee SBs.  The Giants would never have come close if the D wasn't great in those runs, SD has never come close w/ Brees, as great as Favre was he only made 2 and won 1, Palmer has never been close, Romo never came close, Stafford has never won a playoff game, as great as Rodgers is he's only made 1 SB, Cam's only been to 1, Ryan has only been to 1, Brees has only been to 1, ...

I am not saying try to build the '85 Bears D(though that would be nice) but we need pieces around the QB in place to win and even w/ the supposed top guys you still need help around them.   we need to keep trying to find that QB but we also need to have pieces in place for the guy to succeed or it's a waste.

There are no guarantees in football.  You can get a franchise QB and forget to build the rest of the team (Colts)  The teams that win typically have a great QB and a defense that gets hot at the right time.  The strictly defense model has worked 3 times since the Bears in 85.

Archived