Looks like O'Brien may be out in Houston

jetsons

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, 20andOut said:

Nice job of cherrypicking your examples. Should I show you the multiple head coaches that followed up a couple years of mediocre records with one club with more years of bad/mediocre records at another? Herm Edwards in KC? Dom Capers in Houston etc ...

Again, you do realize that former super bowl winning coaches have NEVER gone to a new team and won the Super Bowl? 

Obrien did an amazing job at Penn State and has manage do to make the Texans competitive despite having no QB. And when he had a QB for a few weeks this year, his team was amazing.  

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

Anyone who is saying they wouldn't want Bill Obrien let me ask you this question.

If they fire him would they EVER consider hiring Todd Bowles & Kacey Rogers?

No f*cking way!

Will there be teams lining up to sign Obrien? Your damn right! The Bears would be one of them, Cleveland, Bengals, Colts, and none of those teams would have Todd Bowles on the top of their lists!. 

He wouldn't be on the lists.

12 hours ago, Ghost said:

I hate Bowles with a passion. Unless we get Gruden, Cowher, even O’Brien, or a can’t miss prospect, there should be no reason to fire him. Hopefully next year’s candidates are much better. I would love love love O’Brien. 

dont want any coach who hasnt coached in over 10 years....miss me with that Cowher and Gruden talk....no please no, please no, hell no!!!

O'Brien? Eh? maybe.....

IMPORTANT

Without reading every post in the thread...

Did any of you watch B.O.B take the ball out of Watson's hands on 4th and shorts at Seattle and at Foxboro with chances to ice the games?  Signature wins for the star rookie...  O'Brien decided that punting possession back to RW and TB offered the Texans a better chance to win.

We already have a coach with no balls.  You want to replace him with another?

Jarret Stidham is going to return to school. The Rams didn't give up a 2nd round pick to let Watkins walk after a year, he will be franchised. Why would Robinson uproot his family to come here on a 1 year prove it deal when Jacksonville is a better team than us. Devante Adams is going to sign here over being with Rodgers? Landry I could get behind but realize his deal is going to be at least in the 5 year $70M range.

Bell I genuinely don't want any part of, he wants $15M a year (7M more than the 2nd highest paid RB)

I like the enthusiasm though.

29 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Again, you do realize that former super bowl winning coaches have NEVER gone to a new team and won the Super Bowl? 

What does that have to do with Bill O'Brien or any coach I mentioned? And also diont forget B.O.B. is most likely the guy that convinced Mac that the Hack was so talented.

9 hours ago, SAR I said:

Every head coach was a rookie at one point, but many of them got fired and were only successful on their second try.

Outside of the Leon Hess misread Kotite disaster, in the 40 years I've been a Jets fan I have seen exactly *one* head coach with prior experience wearing the headphones and that man, Bill Parcells, turned the franchise around from the dark ages, set us on a course for the most successful run in our history for 20 years.

Enough with rookies.  Give me an experienced head coach.  One who already made all the mistakes and is ready to grow from there.  Worked for the Patriots with Belichick.  Worked for the Dolphins with Shula.  Worked for the Bills with Levy.  Worked for the Colts with Dungy.  Worked with the Broncos with Shanahan.  Worked for the Rams with Vermeil.  Worked for the Giants with Coughlin.  Worked for the Bucs with Gruden.  Worked for the Seahawks with Carroll.  It's time already.

SAR I

Joe Gibbs, Mike Shanahan, John Fox, Mike Mularkey, Gary Kubiak etc. etc. all say hi.

Lets see, Obrien who is a QB development guru did nothing at all with the legion of QBs he wanted or was provided with.  Hoyer, Mallet, Oswiler, Savage all guys who were more akin to his style of Tom Brady coaching and they all were terrible. 

Deshaun Watson comes in for 5 games and the offense amazingly looks brilliant, the second he is out they stink again.

His teams made the playoffs twice with I believe 9-7 records in an AWFUL division with a top 2 or 3 defense in the league.  The moment the defense gets hurt and falls off they win what 4 games?

Massively overrated coach and since we are not getting Deshaun Watson to come along with him it's a very hard pass for me on him if he came free.

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Lets see, Obrien who is a QB development guru did nothing at all with the legion of QBs he wanted or was provided with.  Hoyer, Mallet, Oswiler, Savage all guys who were more akin to his style of Tom Brady coaching and they all were terrible. 

Deshaun Watson comes in for 5 games and the offense amazingly looks brilliant, the second he is out they stink again.

His teams made the playoffs twice with I believe 9-7 records in an AWFUL division with a top 2 or 3 defense in the league.  The moment the defense gets hurt and falls off they win what 4 games?

Massively overrated coach and since we are not getting Deshaun Watson to come along with him it's a very hard pass for me on him if he came free.

No coach here ever in the history of the NY Jets seemed to be able to develop a QB. 

We need to either sign a proven free agent QB or draft one thats plug and play ready. 

Either way id rather have Bill O'Brien than Todd Bowles any day of the week. 

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

No coach here ever in the history of the NY Jets seemed to be able to develop a QB. 

We need to either sign a proven free agent QB or draft one thats plug and play ready. 

Either way id rather have Bill O'Brien than Todd Bowles any day of the week. 

Throw me off a cliff in a yugo or throw me off a cliff in a ford pinto?

12 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Why in the world would Houston fire him?  The have been DECIMATED by injury.  He had Watson playing incredibly well, in large part due to his willingness to adapt to what Watson does well.  

Watch Houston hire some unimaginative coach who has no idea how to accentuate Watson, and watch how quickly Watson regresses.  The NFL is full of dumb people.

Is Todd Bowles available ??

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

O'brien is probably the most overrated coach in football and has been since the day he was hired. I want Bowles and Maccagnan out and sure as hell don't want any part of this loser.

Has anyone ever really noticed how poorly these coaches do once they aren't around Tom Brady? whether it's O'Brien, McDaniels, Weis, etc...?  and has anyone noticed how well below .500 BB is w/o Brady? why would anyone want a NE coach unless Brady is coming along w/ them?

The Jets and Mike Maccagnan will fire Todd Bowles if Bill O'Brien is available at season end. 

See yaaaaa Todd Bowles. 

You wish!! I definitely don’t see this happening. Mac might want this but I don’t think he has enough leverage to pull this off considering he is in question himself. Our highest paid Jet was just given a long contract(with loop holes to get out of it). Hackenberg can’t hit the ocean (according to Chan Gailey) and he’s yet to find a viable replacement for brick and Nick mangold. Not to mention our highest paid OL leads the league in penalties. Furthermore I don’t think OBriens body of work is strong enough to roll the dice and blow up something already proven moving in the right direction.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

5 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

That isn’t happening. We have too many wins and they own SOS over us anyway. Plus wouldn’t you want them #2 so you can trade up for Rosen or Darnold instead of having the Giants take the pick.

Giants could easily just flip their pick to them like the Bears did, if they really wanted a QB. Though I think they could also try to trade down not too far and grab on of the OL. 

14 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

Giants could easily just flip their pick to them like the Bears did, if they really wanted a QB. Though I think they could also try to trade down not too far and grab on of the OL. 

I think Darnold forces a trade to the giants same way Eli did in 2004

23 hours ago, Jetster said:

Anyone who is saying they wouldn't want Bill Obrien let me ask you this question.

If they fire him would they EVER consider hiring Todd Bowles & Kacey Rogers?

No f*cking way!

Will there be teams lining up to sign Obrien? Your damn right! The Bears would be one of them, Cleveland, Bengals, Colts, and none of those teams would have Todd Bowles on the top of their lists!. 

No one is defending Bowles.  If the bengals and colts are “lining up” for O’Brien great I know  those are model franchises just like us

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

No one is defending Bowles.  If the bengals and colts are “lining up” for O’Brien great I know  those are model franchises just like us

Once Obrien got a QB, they went on a tear even without Watt & Mercillus. I don't see Bowles doing the same if we had drafted Watson. And yes, I get it that savage got hurt. But Obrien has NEVER been afraid to sit a QB & try another one.

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

Once Obrien got a QB, they went on a tear even without Watt & Mercillus. I don't see Bowles doing the same if we had drafted Watson. And yes, I get it that savage got hurt. But Obrien has NEVER been afraid to sit a QB & try another one.

A “tear?” The Texans were 3-4 when Watson got injured

35 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

A “tear?” The Texans were 3-4 when Watson got injured

He did enough to win EVERY GAME

33 points vs Pats in Gillette- Brady throws last second TD to Cooks for the win.

57 points in a win over Titans

5 TDs in a loss vs Chiefs- defense lost that game

33 points & 3TDs vs Browns in a win

38 points & 4TDs in a Seattle loss- again the defense lost that game

Do your homework. 

11 minutes ago, Jetster said:

He did enough to win EVERY GAME

33 points vs Pats in Gillette- Brady throws last second TD to Cooks for the win.

57 points in a win over Titans

5 TDs in a loss vs Chiefs- defense lost that game

33 points & 3TDs vs Browns in a win

38 points & 4TDs in a Seattle loss- again the defense lost that game

Do your homework. 

Watson performed well individually but the team still lost those games and 2 of their wins one was a layup versus the browns and the other was a win they accidentally got facing an inept bengals team

O’Brien isn’t that good.  You are binge chugging on the kool-aid

9 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Watson performed well individually but the team still lost those games and 2 of their wins one was a layup versus the browns and the other was a win they accidentally got facing an inept bengals team

O’Brien isn’t that good.  You are binge chugging on the kool-aid

So who is your hand picked coach and don't say Gruden or Cowher because neither of those are happening.

1 minute ago, 56mehl56 said:

So who is your hand picked coach and don't say Gruden or Cowher because neither of those are happening.

I think replacing the GM is actually way more important.  Give me a real GM sure I’ll accept your hero Bill O’Brien with wide open arms

3 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

I think replacing the GM is actually way more important.  Give me a real GM sure I’ll accept your hero Bill O’Brien with wide open arms

Ok so who are your GM candidates - and if you say Casserly I'll put you on ignore for good.  

Archived