QB Prospects (A Lengthy List)

Warfish

For those (like me) who do not watch Minor League Football (i.e. college), here is a solid list of the various prospects at the QB position for the 2018 Draft.

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2018QB.php

List includes a number of names not currently in the discussion here on JN, so it may be worth considering who ELSE Macc may look at if he doesn't go QB with the #6/7/8/9/10/11 pick the Jets wind up with AND he doesn't agree with the Fan-beloved "trade all the picks" concept of QB acquisition.

Enjoy.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been asking for Lamar Jackson who seems like a perfect QB for a young defense and limited offensive options. 

Jackson can create offense by himself while his passing develops. Can pick up first downs with his legs with a 4th quarter lead. Will put tons of stress on any defenses. All on day 1.

OMG - this has SOJ written all over it - we may need to fire Mac before the draft, this can't be the pick

12/14/17: This season, Allen has completed 56 percent of his passes for 1,658 yards with 13 touchdowns and six interceptions. He has five rushing touchdowns as well. Allen missed Wyoming's last two regular-season games with a shoulder injury. 

2 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

I've been asking for Lamar Jackson who seems like a perfect QB for a young defense and limited offensive options. 

Jackson can create offense by himself while his passing develops. Can pick up first downs with his legs with a 4th quarter lead. Will put tons of stress on any defenses. All on day 1.

Jackson is a special talent but he's never going to be a pocket passer and isn't big enough to absorb all the hits he will take as runner.

His upside is a lightning in a bottle type player that wins rookie of the year, maybe even comes close to an MVP type candidate but won't be around too long. 

He's probably the type of QB bowles will push for since it gives him a chance to win immediately because Jackson will win plenty of games with his legs before he is mentally ready to read defenses and make plays from the pocket.

I won't be upset if we take him....

1 minute ago, BrickTamland said:

I’d be interested in hearing how people think Jackson compares to Cam Newton as prospects.

Faster, quicker and more athletic.. Not as strong of an arm and more frail. 

But also not as much of headcase. If I thought he'd stay healthy, I could see him having a similar career than Cam where he can win games without being a great pocket passer.

Jackson feel like the kind of player who would set franchise records.....in Interceptions and number of times sacked in a year.

Then he might follow that up with the RGIII school of football injuries.

Can't say I'm a big fan....unless he's drafted to play some sort of RB/H-Back position, not QB.

3 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Faster, quicker and more athletic.. Not as strong of an arm and more frail. 

But also not as much of headcase. If I thought he'd stay healthy, I could see him having a similar career than Cam where he can win games without being a great pocket passer.

Sounds right. What about as passer?

18 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Jackson feel like the kind of player who would set franchise records.....in Interceptions and number of times sacked in a year.

Can't say I'm a big fan....unless he's drafted to play some sort of RB/H-Back position, not QB.

he's tempting.  but after sanchez/geno/hack/petty, i don't see the point in investing draft picks and time in qbs who are not inherently accurate.  jackson is very similar to rg3 in that he will look to run too much and is destined to get injured too often.  

Lengthy list my balls....While I think the position is definitely moving away from “you either have a HOFer for 15+ years or you don’t,” the list of guys who can do it will still never be long. Maybe there’s a legit sleeper or something in the bunch but generally speaking the names are already known and even most of those guys can be easily eliminated. 

I can make the argument that Lamar Jackson is so dynamic with his legs, that fans are missing his ability to throw the ball. What makes you believe he's going to take a ton of sacks and throw a bunch of picks?

This past season he threw for 25 TDs and 6 picks. 3,489 yards and completed 60% of his passes. Rosen and Darnold competed 63% and 64%. And I would argue Jackson had less weapons and worse OL. Louisville team is also tops with dropped passes.

I think fans are down on his passing ability because he is undoubtedly special when running the ball. Jackson is going to need a defender dedicated to following him because of that ability leaving one less defender in coverage. 

And I would argue his arm strength is superior to Cam. The NC game, he threw 60 yards on a line with a flick of his wrist.

Why is he RG3? He's private, humble, and a hard worker. As far as injury concerns, he hasn't had one in college, and with the new rules of the NFL, why is that as big a concern.

Production? The only player ever in college football to throw for 3,000 and run for 1,000 in back to back seasons

Oh and he's 20 years old. You're getting a player with a special skill set that is only going to develop. I pray he's there at 10 or they trade up for him.

39 minutes ago, BrickTamland said:

I’d be interested in hearing how people think Jackson compares to Cam Newton as prospects.

Jackson is in a league of his own.  He's attempting to do something no comparable college QB has ever done. 

Good conversation about comparable prospects:

https://forums.jetnation.com/topic/134931-deshaun-watson-v-lamar-jackson/

36 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Wow much shocking very surprise

45 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

OMG - this has SOJ written all over it - we may need to fire Mac before the draft, this can't be the pick

12/14/17: This season, Allen has completed 56 percent of his passes for 1,658 yards with 13 touchdowns and six interceptions. He has five rushing touchdowns as well. Allen missed Wyoming's last two regular-season games with a shoulder injury. 

Allen is Hackenberg, without the chalk board expertise and experience.  If the Jets draft Josh Allen, Mac won’t survive next season.  Allen will look like trash in preseason and then fans and media are going to destroy him and he’ll deserve every bit of it.

I would be ok if jets draft Jackson, but then draft QB later in the draft. Similar to what washington did with Griffin and Cousins. Mobile QBs always get hurt and he could flame out. Draft a pocket passer later in the draft (falk?) to develop. 

I really don't understand why Allen is being talked about at all? Did he have one good season? A few exciting games or something? 

I know nothing about college football but still...all you read about is he has great physical traits and that's whats exciting. So that's enough to just ignore his terrible accuracy? Why do GM's make this so difficult. 

What's interesting about a player like Jackson is let's reverse the script. Let's imagine Jackson is QBing USC? Or Oklahoma, or even Clemson or Auburn ect.

You would have to imagine he probably would have kicked major azz like Vince Young did but he not the head case that Young was plus he's only 20 years old. 

I know that most Jet fans want that classic pocket passer but with these new rules, a guy like Jackson could be so hard to defend its crazy. When a QB moves out of the pocket & WRs do the scramble drill, how many times do you see a flag for defensive holding? A sh*t ton! You know why? Because defenders start grabbing guys because it's almost impossible to defend ad lib plays. A guy like Jackson, brought around by the right coaching (Bates maybe) taking advantage of the rules afforded him is a nightmare. You put a good MOBILE Oline in front of a guy like this & he can run all kinds of stuff like Cam Newton does now. Cam didn't have a great game vs the Jets but the pressure he puts on you and having to spy him is a PITA, especially in the Redzone & goal line as they are always a threat to keep & sweep which FORCES teams out of big goal line defenses.

I look at what a coach like Bill Cowher did with Kordell Stewart, with the OLD RULES, and Kordell wasn't near the player Lamar Jackson is. I love the fact that's unorthodox and difficult to defend, coaches like Belichick hate these guys because schemes don't mean sh*t when breaks contain & is motoring down the sideline for a big gainer. Those runs also flip field position in a big way, make it harder to just key on a RB, and always take one guy out of the defense who needs to spy him. The dude is like a punt returner in the open field, he'd be exciting as sh*t and put fannies in the seats that's for sure. 

When is the last time you could put Jets & exciting in the same sentence regarding their offense? Guys like this pump up the D too, I remember how Vick use to excite the whole team.

10 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

I really don't understand why Allen is being talked about at all? Did he have one good season? A few exciting games or something? 

I know nothing about college football but still...all you read about is he has great physical traits and that's whats exciting. So that's enough to just ignore his terrible accuracy? Why do GM's make this so difficult. 

It’s a copycat league.  Everyone now wants the next Carson Wentz

1 hour ago, RESNewYork said:

Jackson is NOT a pocket passer and is looked at as maybe someone who will switch positions in the NFL. I wouldn't risk taking him with a top 10 pick. 

5 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

Jackson is NOT a pocket passer and is looked at as maybe someone who will switch positions in the NFL. I wouldn't risk taking him with a top 10 pick. 

We'll see. If the Jets don't think out of the box & stick with the same BS & I see Jackson become a star after we pass him if he's there, I won't be able to take much more. Heard the same sh*t with Watson. Oh, he won with his legs & can only throw the ball 41 MPH.

To  follow the college qb scouting updates on Walter football through the year is always a good read. 

1. I think there may be a bombshell hinted at by Walter Football, i.e. that Darnold will stay in school. If he does that leaves the draft-a-qb pickings slimmer for everyone except the Browns who presumable will run to the podium with their draft card.

2. Despite all the modern era rule changes to protect qbs, mobile quarterbacks...no matter how talented seem to break at some point. The minority of running qbs know when to run out of bounds or slide but so many of them are naturally driven to win at all costs. Stationary qbs get hurt too but I would rather take my chances with someone who stays in the pocket.

3. Baker Mayfield is a 6ft immature kid but if he checks out in interviews, his accuracy is something the Jets have not had in a long time.

Just now, Ex-Rex said:

The Jets are not Seattle or Carolina and our OL is not very good, so Jackson will be running a lot and holding is inevitable.

OMG! Do you seriously think Macc is fine with this Oline as constituted? We'll have 85 million & 2 seconds and a 3rd to try and fix the Oline. I don't think we're staying stagnant with this Oline.

15 minutes ago, Jetster said:

What's interesting about a player like Jackson is let's reverse the script. Let's imagine Jackson is QBing USC? Or Oklahoma, or even Clemson or Auburn ect.

You would have to imagine he probably would have kicked major azz like Vince Young did but he not the head case that Young was plus he's only 20 years old. 

I know that most Jet fans want that classic pocket passer but with these new rules, a guy like Jackson could be so hard to defend its crazy. When a QB moves out of the pocket & WRs do the scramble drill, how many times do you see a flag for defensive holding? A sh*t ton! You know why? Because defenders start grabbing guys because it's almost impossible to defend ad lib plays. A guy like Jackson, brought around by the right coaching (Bates maybe) taking advantage of the rules afforded him is a nightmare. You put a good MOBILE Oline in front of a guy like this & he can run all kinds of stuff like Cam Newton does now. Cam didn't have a great game vs the Jets but the pressure he puts on you and having to spy him is a PITA, especially in the Redzone & goal line as they are always a threat to keep & sweep which FORCES teams out of big goal line defenses.

I look at what a coach like Bill Cowher did with Kordell Stewart, with the OLD RULES, and Kordell wasn't near the player Lamar Jackson is. I love the fact that's unorthodox and difficult to defend, coaches like Belichick hate these guys because schemes don't mean sh*t when breaks contain & is motoring down the sideline for a big gainer. Those runs also flip field position in a big way, make it harder to just key on a RB, and always take one guy out of the defense who needs to spy him. The dude is like a punt returner in the open field, he'd be exciting as sh*t and put fannies in the seats that's for sure. 

When is the last time you could put Jets & exciting in the same sentence regarding their offense? Guys like this pump up the D too, I remember how Vick use to excite the whole team.

Michael Vick went 1st overall coming out of VA Tech so I don't the fact Lamar Jackson is playing for Louisville is hurting him in anyway.

2 minutes ago, legler82 said:

Michael Vick went 1st overall coming out of VA Tech so I don't the fact Lamar Jackson is playing for Louisville is hurting him in anyway.

Jackson will be a top 8 pick barring some crazy injury or off the field incident between now and draft day

Book

It

Archived