QB Prospects (A Lengthy List)

Warfish

7 minutes ago, Jetster said:

OMG! Do you seriously think Macc is fine with this Oline as constituted? We'll have 85 million & 2 seconds and a 3rd to try and fix the Oline. I don't think we're staying stagnant with this Oline.

Are there any Left Tackles who made the pro bowl 10 years ago coming off serious leg injuries available in free agency?

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I'm still trying to figure out why Josh Allen is compared to Christian Hackenberg when no drafnik had Hackenberg even draftable, and Allen in the first round.

Clearly Allen has something that Hackenberg didnt

Probably that Allen is not yet totally a lost cause and Hack already was. 

14 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I'm still trying to figure out why Josh Allen is compared to Christian Hackenberg when no drafnik had Hackenberg even draftable, and Allen in the first round.

Allen is much more talented than Hackenberg. I actually like him but he is way too risky for a team like the Jets. Allen needs to go to a team like Green Bay and sit behind a star like Rodgers for a few years and if that happens he may become a star because the upside is there.

Why do people keep bringing up RG3? Regarding Jackson. Jackson is a way better runner, much faster & im gonna say, WAY SMARTER!

RG3 ran like a dumb azz! I remember seeing games when he could have just run out of bounds & he didn't? He had no idea how to slide, he held onto the ball like Geno & wouldn't throw it away. Everything I'm reading about Jackson is the guy is football junkie & really, really smart. I use to watch RG3 & say "get down dumb azz!". I don't see that at all with Jackson.

2 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Why do people keep bringing up RG3? Regarding Jackson. Jackson is a way better runner, much faster & im gonna say, WAY SMARTER!

RG3 ran like a dumb azz! I remember seeing games when he could have just run out of bounds & he didn't? He had no idea how to slide, he held onto the ball like Geno & wouldn't throw it away. Everything I'm reading about Jackson is the guy is football junkie & really, really smart. I use to watch RG3 & say "get down dumb azz!". I don't see that at all with Jackson.

Louisville runs a ton of qb draw plays.  Jackson won’t do that in the nfl

2 hours ago, RESNewYork said:

I can make the argument that Lamar Jackson is so dynamic with his legs, that fans are missing his ability to throw the ball. What makes you believe he's going to take a ton of sacks and throw a bunch of picks?

This past season he threw for 25 TDs and 6 picks. 3,489 yards and completed 60% of his passes. Rosen and Darnold competed 63% and 64%. And I would argue Jackson had less weapons and worse OL. Louisville team is also tops with dropped passes.

I think fans are down on his passing ability because he is undoubtedly special when running the ball. Jackson is going to need a defender dedicated to following him because of that ability leaving one less defender in coverage. 

And I would argue his arm strength is superior to Cam. The NC game, he threw 60 yards on a line with a flick of his wrist.

Why is he RG3? He's private, humble, and a hard worker. As far as injury concerns, he hasn't had one in college, and with the new rules of the NFL, why is that as big a concern.

Production? The only player ever in college football to throw for 3,000 and run for 1,000 in back to back seasons

Oh and he's 20 years old. You're getting a player with a special skill set that is only going to develop. I pray he's there at 10 or they trade up for him.

Good post

He’s an insane runner, extremely shifty and someone mentioned ‘frail’ but time and again he’ll lower the shoulder and deliver a hit on the defender going into contact(impressive but also troubling for his long term durability prospects in the NFL) I don’t see frail at all but as for the Cam Newton comparison he’s nowhere near as big....Cam is what 6-5 240?...I’d guess Jackson will measure about 6-2 215, not prohibitively small but not anything like Can as a physical prospect.

Newton only had one year at Aubun, it was an impressive year for sure, but LJ has 3 very impressive years starting for a major college program and playing in big games and showing improvement as a passer every year.

He’s improved as a passer and of those 6 INTS this year I’ve seen at least 2 of them have come off deflections that were the fault of the WR, I think I saw somewhere he has the 3rd most drops by any QB in Div 1 (somewhere in the region of 26 or so)and is still completing 60%

His arm is also a thing of beauty, flick of the wrist and the ball goes for miles and I also think he throws with decent accuracy on the shorter throws too.

Can he be a great leader? can he command a huddle? Does he have the mental capacity to digest coverages? These things are what I guess pro scouts are paid to work out but I can’t help think that if Michael Vick and to a lesser extent Tyrod Taylor can have successful NFL careers then I don’t see any reason why Lamar Jackson can’t be better than either of those guys.

1 hour ago, Ex-Rex said:

The Jets are not Seattle or Carolina and our OL is not very good, so Jackson will be running a lot and holding is inevitable.

We can solidify the O-Line in free agency and with our other draft picks. An offense made up of Jackson, McGuire (plus a second RB in the draft), and our speedy receivers could be a lot of fun to watch. 

2 hours ago, JiF said:

Remember when we should pass on Watson because this draft class was historic?

Good times!!!

Remember when Tom Savage beat out Watson..  then Watson came in and became a Fantasy Football stud for 4 games while orchestrating a 1-3 record.  Then he went on IR...

the end.

3 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

We can solidify the O-Line in free agency and with our other draft picks. An offense made up of Jackson, McGuire (plus a second RB in the draft), and our speedy receivers could be a lot of fun to watch. 

Aside from center who would you like to replace on the offensive line?  Carpenter, winters and Beachem have reasonable contracts and Shell is a developing young player.

We need to find a good center, which will raise the level of play of the entire offensive line as a group.  Other then that, we are going to wind up spending on a QB, CB and some sort of DE/OLB who can hopefully rush the passer.

2 minutes ago, Pac said:

Remember when Tom Savage beat out Watson..  then Watson came in and became a Fantasy Football stud for 4 games while orchestrating a 1-3 record.  Then he went on IR...

the end.

Yes.  Watson will never play another NFL snap again.

Hot take, Pac.

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Where do you come up with your crap?   Please show where kiper and mcshay said he was undraftable.   Please or stop just making things up. 

1 minute ago, Pac said:

You've been juggling his nutsack for 6 months.  I'm sure I'm not the only one annoyed so I thought I'd be a voice of the people.

My post wasn't an attempt to snuggle with his nuts anymore than I already do, it was to point out how terrible this draft class is now after it was being heralded as the greatest QB class to ever grace the NFL this time last year. 

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

My post wasn't an attempt to snuggle with his nuts anymore than I already do, it was to point out how terrible this draft class is now after it was being heralded as the greatest QB class to ever grace the NFL this time last year. 

We now have the technology to determine that before the draft? Before the combine? Before radar gunning? Before pre-season? Before a single regular season  NFL snap ? My bet is they all end up with knee injuries. 

25 minutes ago, Pac said:

the end.

Yeah at least the Texans have a top 5 pick to look forward t.....oh!

11 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

We now have the technology to determine that before the draft? Before the combine? Before radar gunning? Before pre-season? Before a single regular season  NFL snap ? My bet is they all end up with knee injuries. 

Technology, no?  It was basically the consensus of the wait till next year crowd that this class was going to be historic and now its like, meh, there all just o.k. 

30 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

Where do you come up with your crap?   Please show where kiper and mcshay said he was undraftable.   Please or stop just making things up. 

Obviously not Kiper & McShay but FWIW

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-why-pff-doesnt-have-a-draftable-grade-on-christian-hackenberg

Conclusion

One of the few things left supporting Hackenberg’s draft stock is that he looks like an NFL quarterback. His arm is pretty good, and he ticks most of the measurable boxes, but that’s like a newly created Madden player before you have assigned all the performance attributes like accuracy and decision-making. At that point all you have is a player shell.

While there is good to his game in small flashes, you have to overlook so much bad to see it that it simply isn’t enough. Tim Tebow made some nice throws, too, but it didn’t make him a starting NFL quarterback.

Even the best of Hackenberg is an average, inaccurate passer with a few worrying qualities. In my opinion, his NFL ceiling is as a backup a team hopes it never has to play.

There was a time when Hackenberg was largely seen as a first-round talent, and it’s taken three seasons of poor play for him to be moved down most draft boards to the Day 2 or Day 3 range. But after evaluating him on tape to go along with three seasons of play-by-play data, I can’t see the case for drafting him at all.

56 minutes ago, JiF said:

Who said it was one of the greatest?

37 minutes ago, JiF said:

Technology, no?  It was basically the consensus of the wait till next year crowd that this class was going to be historic and now its like, meh, there all just o.k. 

OK? We have no idea who they are and until they play at this level. Only thing that changed is the opinions people have of them. Belly buttons, blah blah blah.

1 minute ago, peebag said:

Who said it was one of the greatest?

Were you posting here this time last year?  This was repeated over and over again around here.  I wish I could remember the thread but I made the statement "this draft is quickly becoming the most overhyped draft I've ever seen" and it was met with legitimate anger.  Like how dare I say it's not going to be one of the best ever. 

13 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

OK? We have no idea who they are and until they play at this level. Only thing that changed is the opinions people have of them. Belly buttons, blah blah blah.

Yes.  Just ok, IMHO.

Rosen the best prospect of the crew could literally give 2 sh*ts about Football.  

Darnold has a wind-up and some bad mechanics and is a meh athlete, but I like him.  

We're not getting either, unfortunately.

Allen is Hack 2.0

Mayfield helped himself but we'll see what he can do come playoffs.  Me thinks he'll be exposed and he'll still be over drafted because of his gaudy video game numbers and firey passion. 

Jackson is attempting to do something no run first QB has ever done.

The rest are typical draft maybes. 

This time last year everyone was acting like between Allen, Rosen and Darnold are locks to be the next Eli, Rivers and Big Ben.  And that's just not the case.  Sure, I may be wrong about how they pan out in the NFL but they went from locks to maybes in an instance.

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

Yes.  Just ok, IMHO.

Rosen the best prospect of the crew could literally give 2 sh*ts about Football.  

Darnold has a wind-up and some bad mechanics and is a meh athlete, but I like him.  

We're not getting either, unfortunately.

Allen is Hack 2.0

Mayfield helped himself but we'll see what he can do come playoffs.  Me thinks he'll be exposed and he'll still be over drafted because of his gaudy video game numbers and firey passion. 

Jackson is attempting to do something no run first QB has ever done.

The rest are typical draft maybes. 

This time last year everyone was acting like between Allen, Rosen and Darnold are locks to be the next Eli, Rivers and Big Ben.  And that's just not the case.  Sure, I may be wrong about how they pan out in the NFL but they went from locks to maybes in an instance.

You're probably wrong and just blinded by your love for a player that has suffered two ACL injuries in PRACTICE before the age of 23. So your lock has serious medical issues that would put him on your list of questionable talents if you didn't have a pre-existing love affair for him.

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

You're probably wrong and just blinded by your love for a player that has suffered two ACL injuries in PRACTICE before the age of 23. So your lock has serious medical issues that would put him on your list of questionable talents if you didn't have a pre-existing love affair for him.

Not sure what Watson setting the league on firing at a record setting pace has to do with the 2018 QB draft class but thanks for this informative post. 

1 hour ago, redlichtie said:

Obviously not Kiper & McShay but FWIW

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-why-pff-doesnt-have-a-draftable-grade-on-christian-hackenberg

Conclusion

One of the few things left supporting Hackenberg’s draft stock is that he looks like an NFL quarterback. His arm is pretty good, and he ticks most of the measurable boxes, but that’s like a newly created Madden player before you have assigned all the performance attributes like accuracy and decision-making. At that point all you have is a player shell.

While there is good to his game in small flashes, you have to overlook so much bad to see it that it simply isn’t enough. Tim Tebow made some nice throws, too, but it didn’t make him a starting NFL quarterback.

Even the best of Hackenberg is an average, inaccurate passer with a few worrying qualities. In my opinion, his NFL ceiling is as a backup a team hopes it never has to play.

There was a time when Hackenberg was largely seen as a first-round talent, and it’s taken three seasons of poor play for him to be moved down most draft boards to the Day 2 or Day 3 range. But after evaluating him on tape to go along with three seasons of play-by-play data, I can’t see the case for drafting him at all.

He said not a single one said he would be drafted.

Not one guy said he would not,  he said NO ONE said he would be.  

So realistically it's Jackson, Mayfield, or Allen right?

And Macc will have to in all likelyhood move up to get the one he likes the most?

I've never seen any of them play but Jackson sure does sound like he'd be the most fun to watch.

Archived