What I Want for Christmas (i.e. the coming Offseason)

Warfish

1. I want Bowles fired.  I want to replace him with someone who has some of Rex's passion tempered by Bowles seriousness, a coach who can lead men both in private and in public, and shows the fans he cares, but not to crazypants meme-worthy levels.  A Coach with gravitas and a resume, a man who has won something, done something in football, college or Pro.  Who?  No idea.

2. I want the Jets to draft a QB in the first round.  Personally, I want Baker Mayfield.  But I would accept a reasonable trade up for Darnold/Allen/Rosen, or a trade down to pick Jackson or Rudolph.  I simply want a 1st round QB that we will build around, whomever that guy is.  I do not want a Hack who will ride pine for three years, I want a kid with passion, talent, potential and the drive to start and start now.  A player we have no need to worry about "hurting his confidence" if we play him.  if we want to draft a 2nd QB in a later round (4, 5 or 6 say) thats fine too.  We must have hope at this position.

3. I want a dedication to rebuilding the O-line with our 80 million in Free Agent money.  The line today is unacceptable, one of our worst units.  It must be improved for our young QB to flourish.  If we're going to spend, spend here on the best, most elite talent available this off-season.  2 top FA players, minimum.

4. I want to cut Forte.  I want to replace him with someone dynamic and young in the draft.  Not worried what round, just someone we think can pair with McGuire and Powell effectively.  Our young QB will need a productive trio of RB's to help him early on.

5. I do NOT want to draft any WR's.  Kearse, Enunwa, Anderson, Hanson, Stewart at WR, ASJ, Tomlinson and the injured Leggett at TE is 100% fine by me, talent wise.  Give them all a chance.

6. I do NOT want to draft Defense until at least round 4 of the draft.  If we have FA money, fine, spend some of it to bolster CB, LB or DLine.  But no drafting D-Linemen.

7. I do NOT want to see any emphasis on "kick returners" this off-season.  The Kick Return game is, without question, one of the least relevant in the modern day NFL.  Put your best hands guy back there, and down it in the end zone every single time, and we'd be better off 90% of the time.  Focus should be "no fumbles", not "big returns".  Not in this era.

8. I do NOT want to see another Veteran JAG QB brought in to start.  It serves no purpose.  If our draft pick is not ready day 1, start Hack.  Or Petty.  Or some very cheap PS or #3 QB we steal from another team.  No McCowns, No Vicks, No Fitz's, No Boomer's.  Just no dammit.  If we absolutely MUST have a "veteran QB" on the roster (as opposed to as a Coach), he must be declared the #3 day 1 and there must be no chance he plays outside injury to both #1 and #2 QB's.  And no spending 30 million on some other teams castoff, the grass is not always greener.  

9. I want the "go young" motif on this year to continue.  No new FA signings of players over 30 if avoidable.  We're building here.  We're not one piece away.

10. Next year must be about development and improvement, not winning games.  Player personnel decisions need to be made with a long-term view to consistent competitiveness, not short term fixes or one-year grabs for the playoffs.   

This is not that much to ask IMO.  All of this is generally reasonable.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

Agreed. If you give Bowles a veteran QB on this roster, he will play him, regardless of how wretchedly awful he is.

If you're Maccagnan, you have to take that option away from him.

sad but true... that's why bowles Needs to go.

40 minutes ago, Warfish said:

6. I do NOT want to draft Defense until at least round 4 of the draft.  If we have FA money, fine, spend some of it to bolster CB, LB or DLine.  But no drafting D-Linemen.

10. Next year must be about development and improvement, not winning games.  Player personnel decisions need to be made with a long-term view to consistent competitiveness, not short term fixes or one-year grabs for the playoffs.   

If they found a pass rusher they really liked in the 2nd round, I would be totally on board with that.  I totally agree, need O Line help, need RB, obviously need a QB.   They also desperately need a pass rusher, and the effect of a pass rush would improve the entire defense.

49 minutes ago, Warfish said:

1. I want Bowles fired.  I want to replace him with someone who has some of Rex's passion tempered by Bowles seriousness, a coach who can lead men both in private and in public, and shows the fans he cares, but not to crazypants meme-worthy levels.  A Coach with gravitas and a resume, a man who has won something, done something in football, college or Pro.  Who?  No idea.

2. I want the Jets to draft a QB in the first round.  Personally, I want Baker Mayfield.  But I would accept a reasonable trade up for Darnold/Allen/Rosen, or a trade down to pick Jackson or Rudolph.  I simply want a 1st round QB that we will build around, whomever that guy is.  I do not want a Hack who will ride pine for three years, I want a kid with passion, talent, potential and the drive to start and start now.  A player we have no need to worry about "hurting his confidence" if we play him.  if we want to draft a 2nd QB in a later round (4, 5 or 6 say) thats fine too.  We must have hope at this position.

3. I want a dedication to rebuilding the O-line with our 80 million in Free Agent money.  The line today is unacceptable, one of our worst units.  It must be improved for our young QB to flourish.  If we're going to spend, spend here on the best, most elite talent available this off-season.  2 top FA players, minimum.

4. I want to cut Forte.  I want to replace him with someone dynamic and young in the draft.  Not worried what round, just someone we think can pair with McGuire and Powell effectively.  Our young QB will need a productive trio of RB's to help him early on.

5. I do NOT want to draft any WR's.  Kearse, Enunwa, Anderson, Hanson, Stewart at WR, ASJ, Tomlinson and the injured Leggett at TE is 100% fine by me, talent wise.  Give them all a chance.

7. I do NOT want to see any emphasis on "kick returners" this off-season.  The Kick Return game is, without question, one of the least relevant in the modern day NFL.  Put your best hands guy back there, and down it in the end zone every single time, and we'd be better off 90% of the time.  Focus should be "no fumbles", not "big returns".  Not in this era.

8. I do NOT want to see another Veteran JAG QB brought in to start.  It serves no purpose.  If our draft pick is not ready day 1, start Hack.  Or Petty.  Or some very cheap PS or #3 QB we steal from another team.  No McCowns, No Vicks, No Fitz's, No Boomer's.  Just no dammit.  If we absolutely MUST have a "veteran QB" on the roster (as opposed to as a Coach), he must be declared the #3 day 1 and there must be no chance he plays outside injury to both #1 and #2 QB's.  And no spending 30 million on some other teams castoff, the grass is not always greener.  

9. I want the "go young" motif on this year to continue.  No new FA signings of players over 30 if avoidable.  We're building here.  We're not one piece away.

todd_bowles.jpg?quality=90&strip=all

55 minutes ago, Warfish said:

n_00123.gif.8b1d525d8e3c22bfdec24a2085f4

Lost me the minute “a little bit Rex, a little bit Bowles” became qualifiers for the next super HC.

The greatest coach in the history of the league has zero personality. Personality doesn’t matter. Competency does. Detail orientation does. Know the rules, and having a strategy for how to coach to their limits does. Press conferences and facial expressions don’t.

Jet fans are always so preoccupied with the personality of the coach. It’s silly.

7 hours ago, Warfish said:

11. For both the Wilpons and the Johnsons to sell their respective franchises.

Stupendous post Warfish. Really, nothing to disagree with whatsoever.

7 hours ago, Warfish said:

You’re going to get the OL guy you want (Item 3) but you’re going to get shut out on every other request, with great prejudice. 

Also, Mac is drafting at a low success rate. Trade away the draftvif you can for Rosen or Darnold. Who cares if it’s reasonable. We don’t need anymore Ardarius Stewarts.
... but we could use a lot more Jamal Adams, Marcus May, and Chad Hansens

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Verbose ... I agree with most of your list .. I still think bowles might be the guy ... The team plays hard for him.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, T0mShane said:

You’re going to get the OL guy you want (Item 3) but you’re going to get shut out on every other request, with great prejudice. 

Didn't the Jets hand out a bunch of contracts on the OL over the last 2 years? 

I feel like the only thing on the wish list that will come true is 10 because the Jets are going to suck something awful next year and that will be the rallying cry for anyone willing to buy it. 

13 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

11. For both the Wilpons and the Johnsons to sell their respective franchises.

Stupendous post Warfish. Really, nothing to disagree with whatsoever.

Since we're wishing and dreaming, can we add Dolan's name to your list?

21 hours ago, Warfish said:

2. I want the Jets to draft a QB in the first round.  Personally, I want Baker Mayfield.  But I would accept a reasonable trade up for Darnold/Rosen/Allen, or a trade down to pick Jackson or Rudolph.  I simply want a 1st round QB that we will build around, whomever that guy is.  I do not want a Hack who will ride pine for three years, I want a kid with passion, talent, potential and the drive to start and start now.  A player we have no need to worry about "hurting his confidence" if we play him.  if we want to draft a 2nd QB in a later round (4, 5 or 6 say) thats fine too.  We must have hope at this position.

I agree with most everything here. my 1 absolutely, totally hate, I can't disagree with enough is the trade up for...... Darnold/ROsen/Allen..... Take Allen out of the list. He is not good, his deficiencies do not, historically,  improve in the NFL against better competition. Allen seriously should not be on anyones wish list, except for maybe Green Bay where he can sit for 5 years behind Rodgers lol. 

Macc in no way deserves a run with a second head coach.  Him and Bowles are tied together at this point until either one has very definitively proven that it should be otherwise.  Macc has done nothing to deserve another 3 years, which is what the team is committing to if he gets a run with a second head coach, unless they go in willing to send the new head coach packing very quickly if things don't work out with the team, or repeat the idiocy of the Idzik/Rex scenario all over again.  They either need to both go or both stay at this point.

At WR they likely won't be looking at much, but there's no reason not to take a look around at the TE market, in both FA and the draft.  ASJ is solid and worth talking about bringing back at the right price, but he hasn't earned being handed anything and may not even return.  The rest aren't even locks to make the team next year.

There will absolutely without question be a veteran QB coming, or perhaps returning, for next season.  Might as well accept that now.  Whoever has the jobs, I assure you both the HC and GM will be in agreement on having one, even if (ideally) only as a backup.  Absolutely no one associated with football would think Petty / Hack / rookie has any degree of sanity to it.

34 minutes ago, JiF said:

I feel like the only thing on the wish list that will come true is 10 because the Jets are going to suck something awful next year and that will be the rallying cry for anyone willing to buy it. 

Absolutely no chance in hell the Jets can sell the “youth movement” narrative in Year Five unless they land Rosen or Darnold, which they won’t because Bowles insisted on McCown for 13 games. And given that there’s less than zero chance they’ll draft Mayfield or Jackson, we’re pretty much guaranteed another year of McCown, or another three of Cousins or Alex Smith. 

47 minutes ago, JiF said:

I think the only big contract they handed out was to the penalty machine, Brian Winters and that was out of desperation.

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Absolutely no chance in hell the Jets can sell the “youth movement” narrative in Year Five unless they land Rosen or Darnold, which they won’t because Bowles insisted on McCown for 13 games. And given that there’s less than zero chance they’ll draft Mayfield or Jackson, we’re pretty much guaranteed another year of McCown, or another three of Cousins or Alex Smith. 

This makes my balls hurt and not in a good way because it's oh so true. :(

5 minutes ago, peebag said:

I think the only big contract they handed out was to the penalty machine, Brian Winters and that was out of desperation.

Meh. He had one of his best seasons last year and deserved the contract. I don't think it's a coincidence the line has performed poorly when they started a turn stile at Center. Replace him and they should be fine. 

25 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Exactly.  And I'm almost willing to start putting money on this is exactly what happens.  That said, I think he takes another flier on Bryce Petty type of talent in the mid rounds. 

Archived