Jets Teammates "Optimistic" on Hackenberg

southtown24th

2 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Lol, he's sticking around and I'll love seeing you guys cry about him for another season. That Sheldon Richardson trade was just awful. LMAO

Cool story bro. The made one good move. He’s been here for three seasons and the team is no better than when he started at the most important positions. But you do you when the team is 4-12 next year and pound your chest or whatever it is you’re about. 

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I just read your exhaustively researched post in the O’Brien thread and they’re all “My god he is awful but he’ll go in the second or third round I guess I don’t know whatever.”

This is similar to last year’s draft with McCaffrey.  Out of no where they said he was worthy of a top ten pick.  Not because he was talented enough to warrant being taken in the top ten, but because there was one GM that was going to draft him in the top ten.  Now that GM is unemployed.

With Hack, his talent dictates him going undrafted.  Their “prediction” was based on knowledge that there was an incompetent GM that needed a QB desperately And was going to take a chance on him outside of round 1.

Nother more.

6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Just like your nonsensical claim that Forte is still getting more touches than Powell and McGuire? He gets less than 1/3 of the touches and you still think he's the go-to guy that gets most of the touches. It's all in your head, friend.

Just like Anderson got/gets more playing time than either Kearse or Kerley, Shell more playing time than Ijalana, younger DBs were chosen over Marcus Williams, Jalin Marshall was given a hundred chances despite repeated ineptitude on the field, etc.

People used to whine about Burris not being on the field enough last year. Well now with a year under his belt - i.e. healthy and with a year of experience now - he was pretty much handed that chance and people patted his drafter on the head for locking up the CB2 position with only a 4th round pick. Except he's horrible. Could be that he was basically nothing last year, like I said, like with his only pick coming as a result of a ball under-thrown by 3 yards so he could succeed despite his shoddy coverage, or getting dusted for a TD by some TE nobody's ever heard of.

At some point you have to realize these young players you're dying to see starting simply aren't good, and on balance our GM is wrong somewhere between 80 and 90% of the time. I mean, after 3 years can you name even one young player who's been held back by Bowles the first 2+ years, who showed us he's clearly an above average player once he got the chance (or after we let the player go)? The closest I can think of is Shell, and he's not even average yet.

When Forte was healthy he was clearly getting more touches , if your a Jet fan you know Forte's been injured for at least 6 games or so.  Stop reading boxscores and start watching games.  Again why was Kerley playing over Hansen or even Stewart - I 'll spell it out to you - TRUSTED VET.  Developing players means getting them touches in games when it counts not hiding them on the bench and playing them in meaningless PS games or games when the season is over.  The only reason Robby got so much time was because Enumwa got hurt and Bowles didn't have too many other options.

The Jets had to get rid of players like Clady , Mangold, Revis because Todd would simply keep trotting them out on the field whether they deserved it or not.

If you feel the Jets players are earning their roles based on merit and play that's cool I just simply won't agree with you.

In reply to Tom Shane's first post in this thread (I thought I had quoted him):

I can accept that Mac had a hunch, however wrong it was, but how do you make that pick and then NEVER play him in an NFL game??? To me, THAT is a bigger nail in his coffin than making the pick. He might as well have given the pick away to a needy team. Oh wait a minute... we ARE a needy team! :o

image.png

12 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

When Forte was healthy he was clearly getting more touches , if your a Jet fan you know Forte's been injured for at least 6 games or so.  Stop reading boxscores and start watching games.  Again why was Kerley playing over Hansen or even Stewart - I 'll spell it out to you - TRUSTED VET.  Developing players means getting them touches in games when it counts not hiding them on the bench and playing them in meaningless PS games or games when the season is over.  The only reason Robby got so much time was because Enumwa got hurt and Bowles didn't have too many other options.

The Jets had to get rid of players like Clady , Mangold, Revis because Todd would simply keep trotting them out on the field whether they deserved it or not.

If you feel the Jets players are earning their roles based on merit and play that's cool I just simply won't agree with you.

Watch the games yourself. Forte's first 10-carry game was in November. Again, you're letting your imagination run wild and are so blinded you're seeing things that aren't there. I get that. The Jets are a maddening team to root for, Bowles is a sucky HC, Maccagnan is a sucky GM, and Woody is the orchestrator of this mess. I get it all. 

Next, Kerley was playing over Hansen "or even Stewart" (whose star faded behind Hansen as time went on) because he was better than Hansen and Stewart. Why do you think Maccagnan picked up Kerley last minute in the first place? I think he's a dope, but even if I don't like his moves, I don't literally think he picks up a pair of veteran WRs, right before game 1, for no earthly reason at all.

He did try to put Stewart on the field early on. Clearly they weren't impressed at that point - and I say they not just Bowles mindlessly overruling everyone - and their opinion of him lowered further, as he fell behind Hansen on the depth chart.

WTF are you talking about with Robbie A? He started 8 games last year (well before Enunwa's injury). I'd like to see the list of HCs you think, at the start of the 2016 season, would start an UDFA rookie over Marshall and Decker and a vastly-improved Enunwa. One (Decker) went down, and very shortly thereafter he gave the job to Anderson despite his rookie (undrafted rookie) status.

I mean, none of your claims have any validity. And then if he threw Stewart out there and he sucked, you'd surely be complaining about Bowles only playing Stewart due to 3rd round draft status, and is handing out jobs to kids who didn't earn it. 

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Watch the games yourself. Forte's first 10-carry game was in November. Again, you're letting your imagination run wild and are so blinded you're seeing things that aren't there. I get that. The Jets are a maddening team to root for, Bowles is a sucky HC, Maccagnan is a sucky GM, and Woody is the orchestrator of this mess. I get it all. 

Next, Kerley was playing over Hansen "or even Stewart" (whose star faded behind Hansen as time went on) because he was better than Hansen and Stewart. Why do you think Maccagnan picked up Kerley last minute in the first place? I think he's a dope, but even if I don't like his moves, I don't literally think he picks up a pair of veteran WRs, right before game 1, for no earthly reason at all.

He did try to put Stewart on the field early on. Clearly they weren't impressed at that point - and I say they not just Bowles mindlessly overruling everyone - and their opinion of him lowered further, as he fell behind Hansen on the depth chart.

WTF are you talking about with Robbie A? He started 8 games last year (well before Enunwa's injury). I'd like to see the list of HCs you think, at the start of the 2016 season, would start an UDFA rookie over Marshall and Decker and a vastly-improved Enunwa. One (Decker) went down, and very shortly thereafter he gave the job to Anderson despite his rookie (undrafted rookie) status.

I mean, none of your claims have any validity. And then if he threw Stewart out there and he sucked, you'd surely be complaining about Bowles only playing Stewart due to 3rd round draft status, and is handing out jobs to kids who didn't earn it. 

How can you say Kerley is playing better than Hansen , when Hansen has caught every pass thrown his way , while Ironically "Mr Fair Catch" Kerley fumbles a punt in the Falcons game to cost us the game. Kearse was a good signing who can be with the team going forward, Kerely was a head scratching move when there were players who needed reps behind him. 

If Enumwa was healthy and the Jets still had traded for Kearse I can guarantee Robby was going to be the one losing reps. Last year you said it yourself Decker and Marshall were hurt at differing points so Robby played by default despite his rookie status.

You can state none of my claims have validity but your flat out wrong. I know your not a Bowles supporter so your just being a contrarian taking the opposite stance of mine, if that's your game ply along all you want , it won't get me to change my stance. 

And I'd never complain about Bowles playing the younger guys, at this point I'd rather see the Jets lose giving the kids valuable playing time then to almost win playing the "trusted" vets. 

10 hours ago, T0mShane said:

The Hackenberg selection is going to be in the first two sentences of the Mike Maccagnan career obituary. It’s the one rare pick where you can’t spin an argument for ever making it in the first place. Literally everyone—from his head coach, to the scouts, to the analytics people, to the mom’s basement draft-bloggers—knew he’d be bad, and he’s actually performed worse than even the most grim pre-draft predictions asserted. If you’re so inclined, you can make crediblr cases for picking Milliner, Gholston, Darron Lee, even guys like Stephen Hill. But Hackenberg was unconscionable and, imo, should instill raw terror into anyone who believes Mike Maccagnan should get the chance to draft another QB. 

I've got to be honest that I still have hope for Hack.  It's almost intriguing to me that the Jets won't even play the guy a snap but they haven't cut him either.  Then you read his teammates are optimistic on the guy?!  I mean, it's certainly possible the guy is a bigger bust than almost any Jet in memory (a 2nd rounder who doesn't even play a snap in 2 seasons?!) but I wouldn't be shocked if this organization was so inept that they didn't realize they actually had something.  He's either a total abomination or somehow an intriguing prospect and we're somehow missing some detail to put their treatment of him in perspective.  This is the Jets so neither would surprise me.

14 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Cool story bro. The made one good move. He’s been here for three seasons and the team is no better than when he started at the most important positions. But you do you when the team is 4-12 next year and pound your chest or whatever it is you’re about. 

The Jets will be much better in 2018 because they will spend $80mm on other team’s free agents.  Those players will collapse in 2019 and the cycle will continue. 

It’s all about motivation.  You want a team of motivated players on rookie contracts looking for their big payday.  Once they get paid, the desire stops, even if unintentional.  

2 hours ago, varjet said:

The Jets will be much better in 2018 because they will spend $80mm on other team’s free agents.  Those players will collapse in 2019 and the cycle will continue. 

It’s all about motivation.  You want a team of motivated players on rookie contracts looking for their big payday.  Once they get paid, the desire stops, even if unintentional.  

That is why you do not necessarily get players that are the top end spectrum of free agency, unless you know they truly have the "motor".

Sign and draft players that are self-motivated, have demonstrated that in the past, who may not be the best at their position but are "team" players. 

Of course, there players are not always so apparent and easy to read. That is why you cut losses quickly. Like the Jets did with Richardson. But you wonder why they made the mistake with Wilkerson.

15 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

How can you say Kerley is playing better than Hansen , when Hansen has caught every pass thrown his way , while Ironically "Mr Fair Catch" Kerley fumbles a punt in the Falcons game to cost us the game. Kearse was a good signing who can be with the team going forward, Kerely was a head scratching move when there were players who needed reps behind him. 

If Enumwa was healthy and the Jets still had traded for Kearse I can guarantee Robby was going to be the one losing reps. Last year you said it yourself Decker and Marshall were hurt at differing points so Robby played by default despite his rookie status.

You can state none of my claims have validity but your flat out wrong. I know your not a Bowles supporter so your just being a contrarian taking the opposite stance of mine, if that's your game ply along all you want , it won't get me to change my stance. 

And I'd never complain about Bowles playing the younger guys, at this point I'd rather see the Jets lose giving the kids valuable playing time then to almost win playing the "trusted" vets. 

I can easily say Kerley was better than Hansen. There's a bit more to catch rate. Maybe Hansen was running his routes wrong; maybe he wasn't getting separation, and only gets the ball thrown to him when he finally manages to get open; maybe he is a crappy decoy when the play's going elsewhere. You can't just say "catch rate" and assume that therefore makes one a better overall receiver than another. 

You "can guarantee Robby was going to be the one losing reps"...lol...your personal guarantee is worth literally zero, and you're probably the only person that believes this profound silliness. 

None of your claims have validity. Not one of them.

For me, I can think Bowles is a lousy HC and can still see that it's a laughable idea to think his OC, QBC, WRC, RBC see who's clearly the most likely to put points on the board & prevent 3 & outs, and Bowles just stands there shaking his head, and mindlessly overrules them all just because they dare like any player who isn't a veteran. Because that power-trip, control-freak attitude totally seems to be consistent with Bowles' personality.

It's all in your head, so there's no rational basis for whom you'd complain about, other than whatever Bowles does is bad and whatever Bowles doesn't do would be better.

12 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

That is why you do not necessarily get players that are the top end spectrum of free agency, unless you know they truly have the "motor".

Sign and draft players that are self-motivated, have demonstrated that in the past, who may not be the best at their position but are "team" players. 

Of course, there players are not always so apparent and easy to read. That is why you cut losses quickly. Like the Jets did with Richardson. But you wonder why they made the mistake with Wilkerson.

This, 100%.

There are plenty of players who cash in big and continue to play well (and continue to dominate, if they had that potential to begin with). Eventually some players just can't do it anymore, but that doesn't mean it's from a lack of effort.

Like Bart Scott, who got a mammoth contract from us and, while he wasn't an elite player, it wasn't due to lack of motor or effort. Or Damien Woody, who got a contract that was (at the time) said to be grossly overpaying for a 30+ guy whose star had fallen, and who only came on again for the last half season at RT with Detroit. He'd then become - for a couple of years - one of the best RTs in football for the Jets after getting paid (actually after getting paid a 2nd time), despite only arriving here in his age 31 season. Plenty of other examples, but to your point it's all the player's attitude. Mo didn't suddenly become incapable of playing football at even an average level on the day he signed his contract. On the other side of that coin, a player like Harrison didn't stop being an elite interior defender, nor did he start being a lazy douche, after the Giants paid him.

Some guys need incentive to push them (in Mo's case, it would seem future big money he doesn't yet have), where others like Snacks can be self-motivated just because they want to be the best they can be no matter what the situation. Those in the latter group are the players who love the game, who realize it's a young man's sport and they won't be young enough to do it forever; that in the blink of an eye it'll all be over, and they want to know they always gave their best while they had the chance.

One isn't necessarily better than the other as a person outside of football - far from it - but one is clearly better for teams while there's a salary cap and roster limit that magnifies a team's investment wisdom and mistakes. It's the job of a GM and HC to identify which is which, and make a judgment call.

If Mo had to be spoken to with a, "Now if we give you this contract you have to promise you'll be more of a leader by example," then he's the type they shouldn't have handed such a contract to in the first place (I didn't think he was worth that $ anyway, but that's a separate discussion). But while it's no less damaging for a new, incoming FA, it's less forgivable when it's a player they had and knew personally. 

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I can easily say Kerley was better than Hansen. There's a bit more to catch rate. Maybe Hansen was running his routes wrong; maybe he wasn't getting separation, and only gets the ball thrown to him when he finally manages to get open; maybe he is a crappy decoy when the play's going elsewhere. You can't just say "catch rate" and assume that therefore makes one a better overall receiver than another. 

You "can guarantee Robby was going to be the one losing reps"...lol...your personal guarantee is worth literally zero, and you're probably the only person that believes this profound silliness. 

None of your claims have validity. Not one of them.

For me, I can think Bowles is a lousy HC and can still see that it's a laughable idea to think his OC, QBC, WRC, RBC see who's clearly the most likely to put points on the board & prevent 3 & outs, and Bowles just stands there shaking his head, and mindlessly overrules them all just because they dare like any player who isn't a veteran. Because that power-trip, control-freak attitude totally seems to be consistent with Bowles' personality.

It's all in your head, so there's no rational basis for whom you'd complain about, other than whatever Bowles does is bad and whatever Bowles doesn't do would be better.

I've been in Bowles corner and have given him the benefit of doubt for the better part of two seasons now. He's proven time and time again he is going to take the conservative choice 11 times out of 10. He's a HC who is coaching for his self preservation and will not take risks even though there's nothing to lose from a team standpoint other than his own job. In the NFL you can't play timid and you certainly can't coach timid.

The HC of the football team has the final say on everything that happens on the field, do we need another season of Bowles throwing his assistants under the bus to realize he's the problem. If you want to bury your head in the sand be my guest , but there's certainly plenty of rational reasons why Bowles should be fired.  

Hackenburg pick was 20 times worse than stephan hlll or coples.  No make that 25 time worse!

No QB in the last 25 years who was a 2nd round pick has failed to play in any reg season games after two years.  This is a bust of monumental proportions as in this guy was was so bad he can't beat our petty and the team was forced to go with 35 year old plus jags.

Also the fact that the jets took hack and petty before him helped them not take a QB this last year.

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Hackenburg pick was 20 times worse than stephan hlll or coples.  No make that 25 time worse!

No QB in the last 25 years who was a 2nd round pick has failed to play in any reg season games after two years.  This is a bust of monumental proportions as in this guy was was so bad he can't beat our petty and the team was forced to go with 35 year old plus jags.

Also the fact that the jets took hack and petty before him helped them not take a QB this last year.

Jet fan over reaction of epic proportions . 

4 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

I don't think Richardson's effort was ever brought into question. I think we traded him so we got something in return for his services. Having Leonard Williams made the decision easier. 

On 12/22/2017 at 12:53 PM, HawkeyeJet said:

I don't think Hack will ever be a remote answer, and I don't know what teammates would be expected say when asked about him.

That said, I don't get why this upsets people.  Like people actually get rattled that anyone might suggest he may show a glimmer of hope.

For the same reason we cringe and do a collective "Aahhh, shaddup!" when posters like @SAR I & @nyjunc decide to wax poetically about the Jet's mistreatment of Mark Sanchez: Rasonable adults don't like to read / be BSed.

Christian Hackenberg is supposedly improving, but will he ever play?

Michael David Smith,ProFootball Talk on NBC Sports 11 hours ago 
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
80e4a9ce884afa88f41b201aac501510

Jets quarterback Christian Hackenberg is still not playing and the team has no plans to change that even after starter Josh McCown suffered a season-ending injury. So when his teammates rave about his performance on the practice field, it rings a little hollow.

Still, several Jets teammates say Hackenberg looks great in practice, and is notably better now than he was last year as a rookie. The word from the Jets’ facility is that he’s developing.

But if that’s the case, why not give him a chance to play? Hackenberg has still yet to play a down in his NFL career, which is extremely rare for a second-round draft pick at the end of his second season. From 2011 through 2016, the only quarterbacks drafted in the first two rounds who didn’t start a game in their first two seasons were Brock Osweiler, Jimmy Garoppolo and now Hackenberg. Osweiler and Garoppolo were playing behind the two best quarterbacks in recent history. Hackenberg is playing behind Bryce Petty.

At some point, the Jets are going to need to find out what they have in Hackenberg. If he’s truly showing promise on the practice field, it’s odd that they’re not willing to give him a shot. But the Jets say they’re sticking with Petty. Hackenberg appears set to finish his second season having taken exactly zero snaps in the NFL.

1 hour ago, 56mehl56 said:

I've been in Bowles corner and have given him the benefit of doubt for the better part of two seasons now. He's proven time and time again he is going to take the conservative choice 11 times out of 10. He's a HC who is coaching for his self preservation and will not take risks even though there's nothing to lose from a team standpoint other than his own job. In the NFL you can't play timid and you certainly can't coach timid.

The HC of the football team has the final say on everything that happens on the field, do we need another season of Bowles throwing his assistants under the bus to realize he's the problem. If you want to bury your head in the sand be my guest , but there's certainly plenty of rational reasons why Bowles should be fired.  

Except no. He goes with the better choice, likely in response to the recommendations of his lower coaches -- particularly on offense.

It is entirely possible - frankly it's likely - that most rookies are not nearly as good as most veterans, and those rookies' presence on the roster is due to the upside they possess after they get a better handle on what they're doing. I get the infatuation with the seemingly limitless upside a player has before fans see them on TV, but that doesn't therefore make them the best players on the roster today.

Your comparisons to players like Kerley are off base. Kerley was having a terrific season, so the idea that Stewart - who would soon lose his spot in the pecking order to Hansen as the season went on - would be a better WR this year is wishful thinking. 

I think Bowles leaves a lot to be desired as a HC, and will never ever ever become a top HC with any amount of experience. That doesn't therefore mean every player - on offense, mind you - that is on the field is really 2nd or 3rd best but we're afraid to find out. They see what fans don't.

Even the things fans DO see you still get wrong. In this back & forth alone, you seemed to have this impression that Forte was getting 15+ touches/game (or more) from the start of the season, and that only faded after he was injured. The reality is he never had a 10-carry game for the entire months of September or October. 

9 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Except no. He goes with the better choice, likely in response to the recommendations of his lower coaches -- particularly on offense.

It is entirely possible - frankly it's likely - that most rookies are not nearly as good as most veterans, and those rookies' presence on the roster is due to the upside they possess after they get a better handle on what they're doing. I get the infatuation with the seemingly limitless upside a player has before fans see them on TV, but that doesn't therefore make them the best players on the roster today.

Your comparisons to players like Kerley are off base. Kerley was having a terrific season, so the idea that Stewart - who would soon lose his spot in the pecking order to Hansen as the season went on - would be a better WR this year is wishful thinking. 

I think Bowles leaves a lot to be desired as a HC, and will never ever ever become a top HC with any amount of experience. That doesn't therefore mean every player - on offense, mind you - that is on the field is really 2nd or 3rd best but we're afraid to find out. They see what fans don't.

Even the things fans DO see you still get wrong. In this back & forth alone, you seemed to have this impression that Forte was getting 15+ touches/game (or more) from the start of the season, and that only faded after he was injured. The reality is he never had a 10-carry game for the entire months of September or October. 

In your mindset rookies would never see the field and never get much needed playing experience , why have a draft just use FA to fill the roster with tenured vets. 

The Kerley signing was completely ridiculous and I loved him when he was here the first go round. He's now a marginal receiver with limited skills, those reps would have benefited Hansen/Stewart or anyone else they could have used even if it meant they made an occasional mistake or ran a wrong route. I get it Bowles wants veteran leadership but if he coached better maybe that leadership wouldn't need to get changed every year.

The main role Forte should have had on this team was catching screens and passes out of the backfield , its what he's been good at his whole career , did our mastermind use him that way , no he felt he could trick the league by running him off tackle . And yes he's received way too many carriers especially with Mcguire showing early promise. 

Again , I get Bowles mindset he wants to win with "the safe" player so he's not questioned.  The problem is in today's NFL the safe bet doesn't get you  anywhere look at  Hunt in KC , would he have been getting much run for us , how about Mccafery or Kamara , they would have been fixtures on our bench and according to what you write you would have been ok with that.  Bowles is dyed in the wool of old style pound the rock defense wins championships , its what almost every coach we've had the past decade laid their hats on and frankly I'm sick of it , especially when the NFL is begging teams to throw the ball with the way the rules favor high flying offenses.

On 12/22/2017 at 12:53 PM, HawkeyeJet said:

I don't think Hack will ever be a remote answer, and I don't know what teammates would be expected say when asked about him.

That said, I don't get why this upsets people.  Like people actually get rattled that anyone might suggest he may show a glimmer of hope.

Hey, when Hack does show a glimmer of hope I'll be all for him starting. Until then, I'll be surprised when he completes a 4 yd screen pass without throwing it at the receivers' feet during a preseason game

On 12/23/2017 at 12:38 PM, 56mehl56 said:

Exactly, its amazing we've gone almost 20 years with HC's all from the defensive side of the ball.

Which means what exactly given a HC is in charge of leading a team not whichever side fans see him as.  A good HC knows where his expertise is and delegates the rest.  Belichick is a D coach.  Parcels.

Archived