Boy, Josh Allen is slinging it

HawkeyeJet

10 hours ago, Mackman55 said:

I'm thrilled that he's "Slinging It" against that powerhouse Eastern Michigan defense. The better he looks here increases the odds that some GM buys the idea of him being an impact NFL QB and decides to take him early guaranteeing that a top prospect like Mayfield is there when the Jets pick. As long as that GM isn't Mac.......

9 hours ago, flgreen said:

If the Jets finish 5-11 Allen will probably be their pick.  If he's still on the board.

Nope Mac would have to trade up - we will be at 9. Top 4 qb’s could easily go in first 8 picks.

8 hours ago, Paradis said:

the sheer idea of taking Allen before Mayfield makes me sick.

Man you summarized my feelings exactly.  The perfect scenario has finally fallen into place with a franchise QB, Baker Mayfield, within reach in the first round. If somehow we pass on this opportunity, I swear after 50 years of rooting for this franchise, I might have to check out. 

• Post of the Week 1

49 minutes ago, gEYno said:

As there’s no difference between the today’s game and that of the late-70s, this is a meaningful comparison.

Not what your question asked, perhaps you could’ve been clearer, maybe: ‘who’s your favourite NFL QB who failed to get even a 56% completion in college but excluding 4xSuper Bowl winning, 3 x MVP and  2x League MVP hall of famers’....i’ll Know for next time

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

Not what your question asked, perhaps you could’ve been clearer, maybe: ‘who’s your favourite NFL QB who failed to get even a 56% completion in college but excluding 4xSuper Bowl winning, 3 x MVP and  2x League MVP hall of famers’....i’ll Know for next time

Here's a college line that doesn't inspire confidence in pro potential.  Let's just say he turned out to be pretty good.  I'm sure some of the older guys here will recognize him from the school at least.  

Passing
Year School Conf Class Pos G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
1987 Southern Mississippi Ind   QB 11 79 194 40.7 1264 6.5 5.0 15 13 107.6
1988 Southern Mississippi Ind   QB 11 178 319 55.8 2271 7.1 7.4 16 5 129.0
1989 Southern Mississippi Ind   QB 11 206 381 54.1 2588 6.8 6.3 14 10 118.0
1990 Southern Mississippi Ind   QB 11 150 275 54.5 1572 5.7 5.2 7 6 106.6
Career Southern Mississippi         613 1169 52.4 7695 6.6 6.2 52 34 116.6

4 hours ago, gEYno said:

Who is your favorite NFL QB who had never completed 60% of his passes in college and averaged 56%?

No, I am in agreement with the 60% crowd. I think cherry picking a statistic, in a time period, that is not normalized, at all, is the way to go, and these other jokers who have NFL jobs don't know what they are talking about. I also don't think there is anything to dive into and analyze when it comes to completion percentage in college, you either hit that number regardless of system, coaching, competition, talent around you, average YPA, or you don't and its that cut and dry.

• Thumb Down 1

15 minutes ago, SpartanJet said:

When Mayfield shows up under 6' tall at the combine like many say he will, will you still feel the same?

I have absolutely no concerns. How would you like Drew Brees or Russell Wilson playing QB for the Jets? They are both under 6' in height. Mayfield, like Wilson, has superior pocket presence with excellent lateral quickness which enables them to create throwing lanes despite their height. BTW, Mayfield is listed at 6"1" but I fully expect him to measure right at 6'.

1 hour ago, Mackman55 said:

Man you summarized my feelings exactly.  The perfect scenario has finally fallen into place with a franchise QB, Baker Mayfield, within reach in the first round. If somehow we pass on this opportunity, I swear after 50 years of rooting for this franchise, I might have to check out. 

If the Plan is to AGAIN go with a retread and not draft a QB, right there with you. 

1 hour ago, redlichtie said:

Yeah, my bad for not specifying I meant within the modern era.  Big score for you.

42 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

No, I am in agreement with the 60% crowd. I think cherry picking a statistic, in a time period, that is not normalized, at all, is the way to go, and these other jokers who have NFL jobs don't know what they are talking about. I also don't think there is anything to dive into and analyze when it comes to completion percentage in college, you either hit that number regardless of system, coaching, competition, talent around you, average YPA, or you don't and its that cut and dry.

I guess having strong predictive validity supported by (obviously gay) math, is cherry picking.  So, yes, my apologies for cherry picking.

17 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

In this bowl game.  3 Tds and 125 yards in the first half.

This performance is probably going to make some people's buttholes pucker around here, because this is the type of performance that mezmorizes people about his good qualities and make his bad qualities seem like an afterthought.

?

Edit: before people get all up in arms, I'm not saying this performance validates him or anything, just saying for those that don't like him, this should make you nervous, because some of the throws he has made so far will make evaluators swoon.

he'll be gone / " off the Board " when we pick.. unless we're able to...Trade-up  ;)

8 minutes ago, faba said:

Allen you have to factor in level of competition Wyoming played but has the arm strength

Mayfield is  a winner not the great physical specimen some people idolize over.

It is a tough one to decide Mac career rides on it

This the point I've made several times about Allen. If anyone is serious about evaluating these QB's I urge you to watch the 2018 game tape of Wyoming vs Oregon (where Allen finally played against real D1 talent) and Oklahoma vs Ohio State. You'll clearly see the talent disparity and the OS game also destroys the claims that Mayfield has not faced top defensive competition.

38 minutes ago, faba said:

Allen you have to factor in level of competition Wyoming played but has the arm strength

Mayfield is  a winner not the great physical specimen some people idolize over.

It is a tough one to decide Mac career rides on it

Don't you also have to factor in the talent on their teams?  Mayfield has a lot more to work with than Allen.

2 hours ago, Mackman55 said:

No way he lasts till the 9th pick NO WAY. This draft will simulate the ‘83 draft when 6 QB’s were taken in 1st round. Teams ALWAYS reach when they need a QB. Browns, Giants, Jets, Broncos, Skins and Cards, could all be easily go QB in rd 1.  In this order it looks like we could have a good shot at 1 of the top 4 of Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, Allen or Jackson who are the top 5 that are prime candidates to go in rd 1. But teams often reach and trade up. Can we afford to sit back and watch Mac sip his coffee while others leap frog our spot. It would surely be his demise. 

1 hour ago, SpartanJet said:

When Mayfield shows up under 6' tall at the combine like many say he will, will you still feel the same?

Full disclosure, I don't like Mayfield at all. However, objectively speaking Allen will look a lot better in the eyes of scouts in shorts than Mayfield. Not to mention, he comes from a pro-style offense so his chalk board knowledge should be more well ahead of Mayfield at this point.  My bias aside, I'd be shocked if Mayfield were to be drafted ahead of Allen.  

6 minutes ago, BigO said:

No way he lasts till the 9th pick NO WAY. This draft will simulate the ‘83 draft when 6 QB’s were taken in 1st round. Teams ALWAYS reach when they need a QB. Browns, Giants, Jets, Broncos, Skins and Cards, could all be easily go QB in rd 1.  In this order it looks like we could have a good shot at 1 of the top 4 of Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, Allen or Jackson who are the top 5 that are prime candidates to go in rd 1. But teams often reach and trade up. Can we afford to sit back and watch Mac sip his coffee while others leap frog our spot. It would surely be his demise. 

There are Jets fans that will bash Mac for taking Allen at 9 because Allen is hack/Browning nagle. And there are Jets fans that will bash Mac for but trading up to get Allen.

I'm willing to let things play out and trust that macc has a plan for our next Franchise QB. Whether is cousins, Luck,  Jackson, Allen, Mayfield, Darnold or Rosen. 

As long as QB is the top priority your off-season (meaning we aren't settling for a kid in the second round or another mccown type signing) I'll be willing to give the player a chance. 

Personally, I'd prefer to just sign cousins and then surround him with talent from this year's draft when a bunch of really good players will fall to 8-10 because everyone is scrambling for a QB. Obviously, if we can't get cousins then we should be the one scrambling to secure the player our scouts think has the best chance to succeed.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Essentially all NFL QBs in the last 20ish years?

This is a classic example of statistics being by people who don’t fully understand them, and touting them as something more than they are.

does college completion percentage matter? Of course. Is it the be all end all, hell no.

Also, why are we picking 20 years other than that being the time period that statistically suits your argument?