Sign Kirk Cousins, Draft Barkley

Pac

39 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

What is a signature win? When did this become a thing? Are the Jets’ options pray a QB prospect falls or wait ‘til next year? Now they’re in a position to turn down legitimate QBs based on not having the right kind of wins?

Remember all the signature wins that Case Keenum had before leading the Vikings to a 12-3 record? 

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

My fear is that Mac passes on Cousins (if he's actually available) and goes the Alex Smith, Sam Bradford route which would be the absolute worst scenario IMO. 

Thank you...

The acquisition of one of the latter two QBs is the type of dumb move that would be so Jets like and would again evidence we have the wrong folks in charge.

The only way such a move would be remotely acceptable is if the Jets were to draft a high end QB for development in this years draft......

Listen, I have no idea if or why a player like Kirk Cousins would be available but if he is, you go get him & you don't look back! You already have Kearse, Anderson & hopefully Enunwa coming back to play the H back role.

The other guy you target if Miami is stupid enough to let test the waters is Jarvis Landry (poor mans OBJ) without being a TOTAL MORON. Landry is loopy too, but the kid is a PLAYMAKER, and if you had an offense with Landry, Kearse, Enunwa, Anderson, ASJ & for S & Gs, Sequan Barkley, that's a pretty potent offense with Hanson, Stewart, Powell & McGuire off the bench! Use the 2nd rounders for a LT & the best Center that falls. 

Use the 2nd wave of free agency to pick up some less expensive free agents. F*ck using ANY high picks on defense, just jettison Bowles & Rogers to fix the defense. Landry/Enunwa/Kearse/Anderson/ Barkley would be a f*cking handful if you had Cousins back there slinging it behind a revamped Oline. So what if the defense isn't PERFECT, hell of a lot easier for defenses to play with LEADS than wondereing if the offense will even score a damn TD or get a FG.

8 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

10% Based on what exactly? Mayfield has defied the odds since entering college. 

He's the first true freshman walk-on to start a season opener, then ends up being the rookie of the year. 

He's a mulitple time Heisman finslist, he swept every award this year, something a walk on has also never done, and he's a 2 time all American. 

And in terms of college production rhe stats arent even close. They both played 4 years yet baker has 50% more yards, double the amount of TDs and 1 less int. 

Based on my position, Mayfield seems to be on a trajectory that could be atleaet as productive as cousins. You give Mayfield a similar type offense as the redskins with a solid TE and he will find a way to be just as good or better.

There have been hundreds of great college QBs that have done nothing in the pros, never mind reach the level of play that Cousins displays.  College is a different game and drafting a QB especially is a crap shoot.  I'm not saying we shouldn't draft a QB in the first round, but I think Darnold and Rosen are much better candidates.  Let's see how the QBs shake out, by the time the draft comes along there may be others rising and Mayfield may drop.  In general this is a QB rich draft and I can see us signing a vet and drafting one in round 2 while filling other needs in the process.  In free agency we have close to $100M to spend, can you think of anything more important to spend it on than a proven QB, I can't.

3 minutes ago, long suffering jets fan said:

There have been hundreds of great college QBs that have done nothing in the pros, never mind reach the level of play that Cousins displays.  College is a different game and drafting a QB especially is a crap shoot.  I'm not saying we shouldn't draft a QB in the first round, but I think Darnold and Rosen are much better candidates.  Let's see how the QBs shake out, by the time the draft comes along there may be others rising and Mayfield may drop.  In general this is a QB rich draft and I can see us signing a vet and drafting one in round 2 while filling other needs in the process.  In free agency we have close to $100M to spend, can you think of anything more important to spend it on than a proven QB, I can't.

Bravo! This idea we would put all of our eggs in the rookie basket AGAIN (Sanchez) is insane. It's like TRADE UP for Baker Mayfield...WHAT? I'd be shocked if he wasn't there for us to take anyway, no matter where we draft. I'm for drafting a QB but with a team as thin as the Jets, trading away this draft & future high picks is CRAZY TALK.

Even though its not popular to take RBs high, lets just say somehow we ended up with Cousins? You give a vet like Cousins, Sequan Barkley, Landry?, Enunwa, Kearse, Anderson. That crew would be a handful for most defenses in this league, and certainly more than enough firepower to have fun in the AFC East, which doesn't have an above average defensive group in the whole bunch!

7 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Or maybe, just maybe that organization tagged him twice and still have yet to get a signature win from him when they needed it. 

Got to look at both sides. They didnt just let him walk. 

First of all wins and loses aren't all dumped on QBs, their team oriented.  Unless you think Sanchez gets all the credit for the 2 AFCCGs.  And lack of a signature win never got in the way of your love of Glennon.  Cousins has had his share of impressive wins. Don't even know why he needs one.  You're either a QB with talent or not.  Demanding a signature win is meaningless when the team sucks

8 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

10% Based on what exactly? Mayfield has defied the odds since entering college. 

He's the first true freshman walk-on to start a season opener, then ends up being the rookie of the year. 

He's a mulitple time Heisman finslist, he swept every award this year, something a walk on has also never done, and he's a 2 time all American. 

And in terms of college production rhe stats arent even close. They both played 4 years yet baker has 50% more yards, double the amount of TDs and 1 less int. 

Based on my position, Mayfield seems to be on a trajectory that could be atleaet as productive as cousins. You give Mayfield a similar type offense as the redskins with a solid TE and he will find a way to be just as good or better.

I like Mayfield...I'm just doubtful he's on Macc's board at all...shame really.

9 hours ago, SenorGato said:

What is a signature win? When did this become a thing? Are the Jets’ options pray a QB prospect falls or wait ‘til next year? Now they’re in a position to turn down legitimate QBs based on not having the right kind of wins?

Signature Wins are when a qb single handedly wins a football game. Basically what franchise qb's are expected to do. Guys like Russell Wilson has those type of wins. A guy who goes from being underrated in comparison to Luck because "he has the legion of boom" to accounting for 85% of the Seahawks offensive production, literally winning games on his arm while having to make up for having no oline, no running game and the old/injury riddled defense that most folks said made Wilson...yet he's the reason they're 9-6 when without him that record could be reversed. 

Games where the Seahawks needs the win Wilson is relied upon, and more often than not...he delivers. Those are considered signature wins...something that i simply cannot recall when it comes to kirk cousins. 

You see, no one is saying not to go after him, but the money he's going to request in relation to his lack of signature wins should not be swept under the table because the jets are desperate at the position. If we can pay him 14 to 15 million per then sure, sign him immediately. Anything over that we need to be paying a guy who has proven to be worth that money. Cousins has not proven to be worth 20 million a year. 

8 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

My friend Ryan Fitzpatrick had several “signature” wins when he was in Buffalo; how’d did that work out? That is why they gave him a big contract!

Again Sanchez had many signature wins; do we want him back now?

No sometimes a QB like a Steve Yomg on a Tampa Bay is in a situation  that he can’t win signature games, but that doesn’t mean that the 49ers were dumb for acquiring him.  

The Jets acquiring Cousins is a long shot IMO but that wouldn’t mean that over all he wouldn’t be the most talented, intelligent and young QB that we have had on the Jets in literally a generation, signature wins or not.  

Fitz had "fitz wins" not signature wins. 

Please dont disrespect elite qb's like that

8 hours ago, JiF said:

Remember all the signature wins that Case Keenum had before leading the Vikings to a 12-3 record? 

I remember the vikings having one of the most talented teams in the league that can make Case look like what Sanchez was for us in 2009-10. 

I doubt that would be the case if cousins came here, nor is that the current situation in washington. 

Bottomline is this, cousins is a good qb but his asking price will make him not worth the trouble because he's shown that he's a good qb that got paid like an elite qb...and he's not elite.

If we can give him 14 or 15 million then sure. Anything over that he can kick rocks. 

4 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

First of all wins and loses aren't all dumped on QBs, their team oriented.  Unless you think Sanchez gets all the credit for the 2 AFCCGs.  And lack of a signature win never got in the way of your love of Glennon.  Cousins has had his share of impressive wins. Don't even know why he needs one.  You're either a QB with talent or not.  Demanding a signature win is meaningless when the team sucks

Stop comparing this. Cousins gets paid 20+ million a year, which is elite money, and NO ONE can recall any signature wins.

Making crazy Sanchez Glennon comparisons actually supports my position as none of those qbs got paid 20+ million yet they probably have as many (Glennon) or more (Sanchez) signature wins as cousins. 

Thats sad.

29 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Stop comparing this. Cousins gets paid 20+ million a year, which is elite money, and NO ONE can recall any signature wins.

Making crazy Sanchez Glennon comparisons actually supports my position as none of those qbs got paid 20+ million yet they probably have as many (Glennon) or more (Sanchez) signature wins as cousins. 

Thats sad.

Put Marino on the Browns of th last two seasons and he not only has a signature win he has one win.  Does that mean he's not elite?  

Who gives a shlt if he makes 20 mil or 15 mil?  Going to change how good he is how exactly?  Will effect how many wins he is part of with the Jets?  

BTW, stop with the Glennon talk, he has no signature wins.  I'd just about bet that Cousins has more win in any given season than Glennon has in his career.  If I wasn't so lazy I'd bet that Cousins has more signature wins than you're aware of.  I know for sure he's beaten the Rams in LA this year as well as Seattle in their house this season.  As unimportant as that is to any conversation as to whether he's worth going after.  

8 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I remember the vikings having one of the most talented teams in the league that can make Case look like what Sanchez was for us in 2009-10. 

I doubt that would be the case if cousins came here, nor is that the current situation in washington. 

Bottomline is this, cousins is a good qb but his asking price will make him not worth the trouble because he's shown that he's a good qb that got paid like an elite qb...and he's not elite.

If we can give him 14 or 15 million the sure. Anything over that he can kick rocks. 

I was just busting balls, bro.  It couldn't let it slide.  It was just a silly statement for many reasons.

He's going to cost more than 15 mil and you have to pay, to play.  It's all fine and dandy to have that rookie QB contract but guess what is going to happen if you hit with a guy like Mayfield as an example?  Very shortly, you'll have to pay to play .  And if he's as good as Kirk Cousins with or without signature wins (see your boo sauce ;-) ) he'll get paid a ridiculous contract just like Kirk and every other QB in the league.  That's what this sh*t comes too.  Wentz, Goff - those dudes keep this up, they're going to set records.  That's the NFL.

I just don't trust this organization especially this regime with this position at all.  Kirk's production is undeniable and there is no reason to think if you don't surround him with the right talent that he couldn't be a perennial playoff QB. 

The other side of this worry about his contract is, what else are you going to spend it on?  They need, everything.  Zero talent at premium positions.  So you're either spending it in FA on those positions (hopefully) or you're spending it on a turn key top 10 producer who looks to be a great fit for the system.  At this point with this team and regime, I trust Kirk Cousins more than I do them picking a QB.  I'd rather them try to find a pass rusher and CB in the draft and if they hit, they get their rookie contracts while you're paying Kirk.

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

Signature Wins are when a qb single handedly wins a football game. Basically what franchise qb's are expected to do. Guys like Russell Wilson has those type of wins. A guy who goes from being underrated in comparison to Luck because "he has the legion of boom" to accounting for 85% of the Seahawks offensive production, literally winning games on his arm while having to make up for having no oline, no running game and the old/injury riddled defense that most folks said made Wilson...yet he's the reason they're 9-6 when without him that record could be reversed. 

Games where the Seahawks needs the win Wilson is relied upon, and more often than not...he delivers. Those are considered signature wins...something that i simply cannot recall when it comes to kirk cousins. 

You see, no one is saying not to go after him, but the money he's going to request in relation to his lack of signature wins should not be swept under the table because the jets are desperate at the position. If we can pay him 14 to 15 million per then sure, sign him immediately. Anything over that we need to be paying a guy who has proven to be worth that money. Cousins has not proven to be worth 20 million a year. 

Do made up things get swept up? This is some Hawk Harrelson runaround thinking.

The Jets have been paying close enough to $14-15 million a year to QBs for the past decade to get horrendous play at the position. The Jets paid a guy more or less that same amount of money to tank the otherwise best rosters in franchise history just a few years ago. Cousins would be a steal at that price. The Jets need a QB way more than they need a steal.

Plus if we go by actual stats not just made up in a random thread out of thin air and completely subjective, he’s been one of the best passers in the league since taking a starting job. That’s worth $20 million on the FA a market easy. 

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Put Marino on the Browns of th last two seasons and he not only has a signature win he has one win.  Does that mean he's not elite?  

Who gives a shlt if he makes 20 mil or 15 mil?  Going to change how good he is how exactly?  Will effect how many wins he is part of with the Jets?  

BTW, stop with the Glennon talk, he has no signature wins.  I'd just about bet that Cousins has more win in any given season than Glennon has in his career.  If I wasn't so lazy I'd bet that Cousins has more signature wins than you're aware of.  I know for sure he's beaten the Rams in LA this year as well as Seattle in their house this season.  As unimportant as that is to any conversation as to whether he's worth going after.  

Maybe I'd stop with the glennon talk once folks stop mentioning Glennon themselves.

Exactly. 

I didnt need to read past that hypocritical statement. And for yhd record, Glennon has 1 signature win. And like cousins, ou would have to search hard for it because no one remembers it. Difference is....Glennon didnt get paid 20+ million

Oh, and fans give a sh*t about the salary. Just look at how many times people talk about how wilk "got paid" ans has done nothing since.

Cut it with the fukkery

1 hour ago, JiF said:

I was just busting balls, bro.  It couldn't let it slide.  It was just a silly statement for many reasons.

He's going to cost more than 15 mil and you have to pay, to play.  It's all fine and dandy to have that rookie QB contract but guess what is going to happen if you hit with a guy like Mayfield as an example?  Very shortly, you'll have to pay to play .  And if he's as good as Kirk Cousins with or without signature wins (see your boo sauce ;-) ) he'll get paid a ridiculous contract just like Kirk and every other QB in the league.  That's what this sh*t comes too.  Wentz, Goff - those dudes keep this up, they're going to set records.  That's the NFL.

I just don't trust this organization especially this regime with this position at all.  Kirk's production is undeniable and there is no reason to think if you don't surround him with the right talent that he couldn't be a perennial playoff QB. 

The other side of this worry about his contract is, what else are you going to spend it on?  They need, everything.  Zero talent at premium positions.  So you're either spending it in FA on those positions (hopefully) or you're spending it on a turn key top 10 producer who looks to be a great fit for the system.  At this point with this team and regime, I trust Kirk Cousins more than I do them picking a QB.  I'd rather them try to find a pass rusher and CB in the draft and if they hit, they get their rookie contracts while you're paying Kirk.

Drew Brees doesnt happen every year. In other words you have a better chance of drafting your qb and winning a sb over picking up someone elses talent in order to over pay them, which their former team was no longer willing to do. 

I have no problem with cousins, i have a problem paying him elite money. He's not elite. I dont care about the stats when he simply hasn't done it when it truly counts.

If he's signed its not like im going to erupt...but im going to be critical of it if he's paid more than he's proven to be worth. 

27 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Do made up things get swept up? This is some Hawk Harrelson runaround thinking.

The Jets have been paying close enough to $14-15 million a year to QBs for the past decade to get horrendous play at the position. The Jets paid a guy more or less that same amount of money to tank the otherwise best rosters in franchise history just a few years ago. Cousins would be a steal at that price. The Jets need a QB way more than they need a steal.

Plus if we go by actual stats not just made up in a random thread out of thin air and completely subjective, he’s been one of the best passers in the league since taking a starting job. That’s worth $20 million on the FA a market easy. 

And i disagreed with the jets paying that amount and have been proven right. 

Paying Cousins 14-15 million is a good look. Just because the rest of the league are overvaluing qb's thst are not elite in terms of their pay doesnt mean we should do it. Just 15 minutes ago everyone wanted darnold, rosen or dude from Louisville. Why over pay then? 

Maybe we should start putting the value back into "team'. Look at what the vikings are doing. Look at that rams team. Look at Philly. Sure, philly has wentz but there is no denying that the team is stacked and they are winning without wentz right now.

Or, we can overpay a qb because everyone is doing it. 

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Signing Cousins (if possible) is like getting a free first rounder.  You took care of your QB in free agency and you still have a top 8 first round pick to fill another hole with a premium player.   Also, we'll still have another $70M left in cap space.  Imagine Cousins, Landry, Anseh, others in free agency and  Barkley in round one and you'll still have plenty of picks and $ to plug the OL and CB positions.

5 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Paying Cousins 14-15 million is a good look. Just because the rest of the league are overvaluing qb's thst are not elite in terms of their pay doesnt mean we should do it. Just 15 minutes ago everyone wanted darnold, rosen or dude from Louisville. Why over pay then? 

Maybe we should start putting the value back into "team'. Look at what the vikings are doing. Look at that rams team. Look at Philly. Sure, philly has wentz but there is no denying that the team is stacked and they are winning without wentz right now.

You do realize he's making $24M this year and is up for a raise right?  I don't think 14-15M is gonna cut it.

27 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Maybe I'd stop with the glennon talk once folks stop mentioning Glennon themselves.

Exactly. 

I didnt need to read past that hypocritical statement.

Oh, and fans give a sh*t about the salary. Just look at how many times people talk about how wilk "got paid" ans has done nothing since.

Cut it with the fukkery

How about this, no fan should give a shlt if he's paid 20 mil or we sign someone for 14 million. It's not a big deal.  

Good to see you ignored the two wins in LA and Seattle and keep saying he never wins when it counts.  As if 4300 yards and a good completion percentage along with good TD to INT numbers mean nothing and can't translate to wins with another team because they didn't in Wash.  That's the definition of fukkery. 

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

How about this, no fan should give a shlt if he's paid 20 mil or we sign someone for 14 million. It's not a big deal.  

Good to see you ignored the two wins in LA and Seattle and keep saying he never wins when it counts.  As if 4300 yards and a good completion percentage along with good TD to INT numbers mean nothing and can't translate to wins with another team because they didn't in Wash.  That's the definition of fukkery. 

And yet fans do give a sh*t, so there goes that. 

And "ignoring" wins against teams with winning records is probably because they werent "signature" wins to begin with. We're not talking about a week 2 win against a Rams team we didnt even know were good yet. Im talking about when the games are meaningful down the stretch. 

You would have had a better bet of saying "what about his 2015 month of December?", which is what got him tagged two years in a row. He went undefeated in the month of december in 2015 and the Skins snuck into the playoffs with a 9-7 record winning an NFC East division with all of the other teams in that division having losing records. 

This is why he got a tag and not a contract Nut. The Redskins werent sure if that December 4 game winning streak was a "signature moment" or if the sh*t was luck. 

December 2016 comes around and They're 2-1 in December and week 17 is a "must win" game against the Giants. Kirk goes out there and on primetime does not get the job done. The Skins yet again in their dilemma of "What is this guy"? Sure, they go 8-7-1 and lose the week 17 must win game against the Giants, but Kirk is now a probowler because of his stats. So they tag him again. And in 2017 Kirk goes on a 2-6 losing streak from October to the end of November, losing 5 games in their conference, 3 games in their division, but if I let you tell it, during that exact stretch he had a "signature win" against the Seahawks while at the same time being eliminated from playoff contention. 

To add insult to injury, during his epic 2015 december run, all of the teams he faced......had losing records.

So again, give me a break with the fukkery and quick stats checking. 

54 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

And yet fans do give a sh*t, so there goes that. 

And "ignoring" wins against teams with winning records is probably because they werent "signature" wins to begin with. We're not talking about a week 2 win against a Rams team we didnt even know were good yet. Im talking about when the games are meaningful down the stretch. 

You would have had a better bet of saying "what about his 2015 month of December?", which is what got him tagged two years in a row. He went undefeated in the month of december in 2015 and the Skins snuck into the playoffs with a 9-7 record winning an NFC East division with all of the other teams in that division having losing records. 

This is why he got a tag and not a contract Nut. The Redskins werent sure if that December 4 game winning streak was a "signature moment" or if the sh*t was luck. 

December 2016 comes around and They're 2-1 in December and week 17 is a "must win" game against the Giants. Kirk goes out there and on primetime does not get the job done. The Skins yet again in their dilemma of "What is this guy"? Sure, they go 8-7-1 and lose the week 17 must win game against the Giants, but Kirk is now a probowler because of his stats. So they tag him again. And in 2017 Kirk goes on a 2-6 losing streak from October to the end of November, losing 5 games in their conference, 3 games in their division, but if I let you tell it, during that exact stretch he had a "signature win" against the Seahawks while at the same time being eliminated from playoff contention. 

To add insult to injury, during his epic 2015 december run, all of the teams he faced......had losing records.

So again, give me a break with the fukkery and quick stats checking. 

Yeah, that's it, wins weren't signature.  Why the hell are you arguing against this or any decent QB.  You can't seriously be disecting his December games with the Skins as if it means anything to anyone other than someone who just doesn't like him.  Give it up, why do you think you're going to convince that he sucks

5 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

What? What got proven right? 

So now they have to be specific types of wins at specific times? Is this what was proven right? 

5 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Not to mention he has one of the worst and most injured receiving corps in the league.

Archived